Swingin Medallions

Graym

Just been on JMs site and seen the write up on 'She Drives me out of my mind' and 'Double shot' both of which are rated 'rarest of the UK Philips releases'.

Not wishing to question his knowledge and standing but out of interest what do the rest of you rate as rarest UK Philips.

As both have graced the shelves in record room since the Co-op in Derby got rid of it's stock mid 70s what value do you good folks reckon ?

With regard UK Philips rarities I've only ever seen one Frankie & the Classicals

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

ive never seen another apart from my own copy which cost £1.50............ but then again i aint looked too hard for it.not the sort of thing you would see in boxes at soul nights. where as frankie and the classicals always seem to be in mick smith boxes when i visited him.....................i did only see him the once with an issue of wayne fontana`s give me just a little more time. that must be hard .....particularly on stock

dave

Social source share

Wayne Fontana- Give me just a little more time only came out on demo, being withdrawn because of Chairmen of the Board/Invictus at the time.

However, as you mention Mick Smith, then probably the souce was that shop in Roman Way top end of Caledonian Road c Kings X, that used to be full of british end of stock items, and if we hadn't been too pissed that day, we might have found a copy.

Social source share

ive never seen another apart from my own copy which cost £1.50............ but then again i aint looked too hard for it.not the sort of thing you would see in boxes at soul nights.

There's a copy at our house also Dave! :thumbsup:

But I have to agree, it's not one you come across, I can't remember seeing another and I got mine sometime during the mid - late 70's, more out of curiosity than anything else as I didn't know it.

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

Wayne Fontana- Give me just a little more time only came out on demo, being withdrawn because of Chairmen of the Board/Invictus at the time.

However, as you mention Mick Smith, then probably the souce was that shop in Roman Way top end of Caledonian Road c Kings X, that used to be full of british end of stock items, and if we hadn't been too pissed that day, we might have found a copy.

yes it was withdrawn ..... but that doesnt always mean demo only. i had it in my hands leeds record fair. he had a demo the same day.but you have got me questioning myself.... i dont usually have a beer till ive left the record fair

dave

Social source share

yes it was withdrawn ..... but that doesnt always mean demo only. i had it in my hands leeds record fair. he had a demo the same day.but you have got me questioning myself.... i dont usually have a beer till ive left the record fair

dave

Your right Dave I have seen an issue as well, but unfortunately I only have the Demo.

Mick W

Social source share

Have seen a copy myself of most of the rare stuff on Phillips,what i have never seen is the first issue or Flamingos Boogaloo Party BF1483. I am not saying it is the rarest just that i have never seen one.(anyone have one for sale?).I have a copy of S M, havent played it for ages.

atb,Geoff.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

For those who like their centers to have a small hole, you may appreciate this tri-center beauty:

:lol:

...or this one, of South African origin...

...BTW I have no idea why JM would think that either of the Swingin' Medallions UK Philips issues are particularly rare, as they are not. They turn up regularly on eBay and at record fairs - albeit filed where they ought to be filed, in 60s pop boxes rather than soul.

I paid around a tenner for a NM Philips 'She Drives...' less than a year ago, from a dealer who knows the value of UK issues. Hardly a 'Rarest Of The Rare' figure...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

i used to have the first issue of the flamingoes geoff. bought it from saus at marr weston club about 20 years ago for £8. lovely copy........sadly i dont know what became of it . ive only seen one other beat up with a big label tear...very rare imo

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Simple statement taken from from the data on our sales over 14 years. Which revealed we have sold in that time:

THREE - Frankie and The Classicals - UK Philips

ONE - Flamingos on Philips BF1483

THREE - Wayne Fontana - STOCK copies and SIX of the DEMO

and NONE not even one - of either of the Swinging Medallion 45s on UK Philips - hence the write-up saying "Rarest Philips"

Can't find a PHILIPS - Swinging Medallion on Popsike or GEMM either.

Rarity is personal it is how many copies you have personally had, seen or think you've seen, at my age I have to rely on accurate databases rather than memory, but my memory from when I was collecting BRITISH is both SM on UK Philips are tough to find.

Social source share

Simple statement taken from from the data on our sales over 14 years. Which revealed we have sold in that time:

THREE - Frankie and The Classicals - UK Philips

ONE - Flamingos on Philips BF1483

THREE - Wayne Fontana - STOCK copies and SIX of the DEMO

and NONE not even one - of either of the Swinging Medallion 45s on UK Philips - hence the write-up saying "Rarest Philips"

Can't find a PHILIPS - Swinging Medallion on Popsike or GEMM either.

Rarity is personal it is how many copies you have personally had, seen or think you've seen, at my age I have to rely on accurate databases rather than memory, but my memory from when I was collecting BRITISH is both SM on UK Philips are tough to find.

bloody hell. i might sell mine now.......i always thought that the first issue of flamingo`s was hard. i would have even said it was rarer than frankie.........some folk would just laugh. i must admit i didnt see a wayne fontana stock till about 2001 at mick smiths stall at leeds record fair............ i had to rub my eyes i thought it was demo only up to then.. seeing is believing as they say

dave

Social source share

THINK IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE RECORDS THAT GOES UNDER THE RADAR COS IT'S SO COMMON ON US :hatsoff2: BUT. MMM ....MAYBE THINKING BACK SEEN MORE COPIES OF SAY DARRELL BANKS ON STAX AT UK FAIRS DOWN THE YEARS.,

BRI PINCH

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

THINK IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE RECORDS THAT GOES UNDER THE RADAR COS IT'S SO COMMON ON US :hatsoff2: BUT. MMM ....MAYBE THINKING BACK SEEN MORE COPIES OF SAY DARRELL BANKS ON STAX AT UK FAIRS DOWN THE YEARS.,

BRI PINCH

I've got a Minter Flamingos BF1483, Bri.

Had it since I were a schoolkid and the big lads wanted to buy it off me.

Top tune...

:0)

Sean

Social source share

BRI PINCH

which record is under the radar bee.................. both swinging med 45`s were decent size usa hits. the uk counterparts dont crop up that much even in pop boxes and christ knows how many of those weve looked thru in our time on this planet. i think your right about darrell banks though... rarity wise SM and the 1st issue of flamingos much rarer even if the dont command as much coinage

dave

Social source share

It came out on demo and issue but the issue was withdrawn. I don't think there's any Philips soul record I haven't had at one time or another. The beat and psych things are harder to find than the soul 45's.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I was hard pushed to get rid of my UK Philips copy of "Double Shot" for £5 a couple of years ago.

Of the pop-psych UK Philips 45s, I've always regarded "Open Up Your Door" by Richard & The Young Lions as one of the rarest. Only ever seen one, and that was the one that passed through my hands about 8 years ago.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• 6 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!