News: Gil Scott-Heron RIP

• Replies 87
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Being reported is the sad news that we have just lost a great unique soul artist

Gil Scott-Heron passed away on the afternoon of May 27th 2011 in a New York hospital aged 62

The below quotes are from the website komplicated.com

A friend who answered the telephone listed for his Manhattan recording company confirms he died Friday afternoon at a hospital.

Doris C. Nolan says he died after becoming sick upon returning from a European trip promoting the rerelease of "I'm New Here" with additional production by British remix guru Jamie XX.

As is so often the case these days, the news broke via Twitter, with Scott-Heron's UK publisher Jamie Byng posting tweets saying ...

articles.png View the full article (inc images/video/photos etc)

Social source share

Just picked this up via facebook, very sad news indeed, Godfather of Rap--saw him live at the Leadmill Sheffield 18 years ago-brilliant to say the least-been inside more times than Norman Stanley Fletcher and deported countless times from the UK trying to get in !!!

RIP Gil Scott-Heron--a total one off !

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi All very very sad news on the passing of GIL SCOT HERON , I met him only once in 1976 when I told him about the succes the bottle had made in the north, to my amazement he already knew, the album JOBURG

is a testoment to this talanted musicion, SAD DAY , GOD BLESS RIP,

Social source share

Incredibly sad news to hear this on the news this morning. Poet, musician, social commentator, and writer all rolled into one enigmatic person. Always went to the Jazz Cafe when he came over to play - remembering one time when he came on late, speech slurred..not quite getting started... faces all round in worry... but then.. the first few bars of The Bottle kicked in and boy it seemed the years of drug abuse just fell away in seconds and played out of his skin the whole night. The type of artist that will never ever be seen again. Had the very great pleasure of meeting him several times, and once when dicussing his several works of fictionn which earned me a hug and a hand shake from the great man. RIP Gil. :):D:(

Social source share

Guest Dante

There's very few people in this world who have made me feel the way he did. He was the most brilliant mind of a historical generation.

I can't describe the way I feel right now.

Social source share

we wake up again to find we have lost another uniquely articulate and talented musician, who, at one time or another, has influenced our lives through his provocative and justified statements. we found great pleasure in dancing to these tracks, most iconic of all being the bottle, yet we gained a profound understanding of the lyrics he put down and as a consequence, realized a greater overview of our world socially and politically. gil scott heron's output is rightly, critically acclaimed...in our lifetime's and generations to come, his contribution will be a yardstick by which other young, enthusiastic, talented musicians aspirations will be measured....its already happening and will continue to do so.

be at peace brother.

Social source share

Guest GARV

ominous

What an album to sign off with.

GENIUS

Agreed , bought this on day of release.............. i think its a brilliant piece of work , much like all of the great man`s output. He lived life on HIS terms ........ a unique & brilliant artist .

RIP

Social source share

gutted and shocked, just this week got a copy of "its your world", been singing "home is where the hatred is" all morning ,turn on laptop and see the news of a great man passing, some of his spoken work was just wonderful, bicentennial blues from its your world is a piece of genius and the LP pieces of a man..wow....RIP Gil :)

Edited by garswood
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I was listening to his latest album on the way down to London yesterday and thinking to myself 'can't wait for the next one', truly a brilliant album and we are so lucky he left us with this fantastic piece of work written straight from the heart and as honest as ever .

Ste.

Social source share

Can only echo all the sentiments expressed so far. Very sad news.

First heard of Gil when hearing 'The Bottle' at the Mecca as a new release. Was this the first true Crossover record? We had all the North vs South divide back then but this was played at Northern, Funk and Jazz-Funk venues simultaneously. How fitting that this unique man managed to inadvertently (and unknowingly) unite our fractured scenes all those years ago.

Peace Go With You Brother.

Social source share

Shocked and stuinned to come on here and see this. Deeply saddened. Winter in America was my link from Northern to the wider world of soul music. /jazz/ world music. The world is less interesting tonight.

Social source share

I've been out all day & only just heard about the sad loss of G.S.H.

There will be a very big hole left in the world, by this very talented man, whose time here, seems to have been cut short.

Where ever you are.....I'm sure you will still shine brightly......you are a star.

Social source share

Guest SCOOBY

IM CHOKED & GUTTED

this man was is my lifetime hero..no offence to B.W.......but GIL was THE POET ...his book THE HAWK..was the first book i ever read from cover to cover thats when GIL became a bookmark in my life ... arrogant ?..maybe..

controversial. ?......more of a politician

devient ...?..........ah well depends if youve read the lyrics.

they say if youve got it flaunt it ...well he had got it in abundance and was just flaunting us with his MULTI TALENTED GENIUS...... and i for one am so glad to have enjoyed a part of his life even though there's now.......

a hole in mine

R.I.P.................................G.S.H.

Social source share

Being reported is the sad news that we have just lost a great unique soul artist

Gil Scott-Heron passed away on the afternoon of May 27th 2011 in a New York hospital aged 62

The below quotes are from the website komplicated.com

A friend who answered the telephone listed for his Manhattan recording company confirms he died Friday afternoon at a hospital.

Doris C. Nolan says he died after becoming sick upon returning from a European trip promoting the rerelease of "I'm New Here" with additional production by British remix guru Jamie XX.

As is so often the case these days, the news broke via Twitter, with Scott-Heron's UK publisher Jamie Byng posting tweets saying ...

view full rare and northern soul article

View the full article (inc images/video/photos etc)

Very sad news indeed .

When in Leeds at The Irish Centre on Friday , I told Lady B that GSH had once played there , unbeknowing of his passing earlier that day .

Thank you for your contribution Sir : RIP .

Malc

Social source share

A man with a huge social conscience..... The Revolution will not be televised... pure genius ... RIP GSH xxx

Did you know that his father Gil Heron played for Celtic in 1951... he was known as the " Black Arrow".... :thumbsup:

Philly

Social source share

This is indeed very sad news.

Gil - wherever you are now, thank you for all your brilliant music, your deep and powerful lyrics also the poetry and books. I am a huge fan of many years, very lucky to have seen you live back in 1991 in Oxford - you and the band gave us a brilliant set with a great sense of humour running all the way through it. One of the best - wish I'd seen you more times......

You have moved on but your voice and its message will continue to be heard through your work.

RIP Sue xx

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

What a relief to read some genuine comment. I just came over from a US news website,there were hardly any comments and half the comments that they did get were right wing drivel about Gil and his ungrateful evil ilk. A genius dies and they use it as an excuse to politicise. Gil would have known what to write in his own defence, I could only think of telling them exactly what I thought of them, so I just left the RIP I'd logged on for and left the site. Life's too short.

RIP GSH.

Social source share

62 doesn't seem that old does it? Very sad to hear this news, I didn't know much of his music and poetry, but enough to respect his work and know it was worth listening to. That helped with a recent find in Head in Leamington, "Me and the Devil", a 2010 track. I posted it a little while back in February:

https://www.parkroadict.co.uk/Site/Soul_Blog/Entries/2011/2/6_Gil_Scott-Heron.html

No question this man's work will live on beyond him, irrespective of how the US media may be treating his death I'm pretty sure musicians and music lovers will continue to be influenced by him and no doubt sample and rework his writings.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!