Charity Soul And Party Nites New Content

I used to co-promote a Rare & underplayed Soul Charity Night and alldayer mainly for a Charity I am involved along with other invited DJ's who have the same problems as me, there were other charities involved, no problem with that. The problem is my co-promoter has taken over the venue and reverted to Youth club soul and worse.

The promotor asked me to DJ and put a thread on here under the Soul nights forum which I didn't mind as I labeled as a Motown Charity Party Night and he asked me to ask a friend to be guest DJ, I was not very pleased when my friend told me the promotor had asked him to play 80% cheese 20% what you want to play. My friend was insulted. He has spent many years massing his Motown Collection and he had a right go at me and so did his friends as they thought I still had influence in the venue. I hated my part in the night as I don't like to let people down. But the good thing to come from the night was the £1000 pound raised for charity.

Part 2 I went to another charity event in another town marked in the Soul nite talk as a Northern Soul charity night, expecting some credible records but it was just cheese again, The Snake, Third finger and even got as bad as Hot Chocolate, granted it does get the folk in but when you get people saying "Don't you know what Northern soul is when you have not got The Snake"

Should their be another forum in Soul Events for Charity Party Nights? and it's not Northern soul :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I run charity soul nights in the Worcester area, but because of the musical content of the evening, do not bother to advertise on soul source, Coppertops and Soulfull Sessions not a problem as they would appeal to the majority on here, we normally sell the place out and have raised over £16,000 in the last 6 years, the crowds we get tho are not normally your regular soul crowd, but they have a great time and thats what its all about, isnt it? We prefer to advertise locally and spell out what they will be getting music wise.

Rob h.

Social source share

No such thing as bad avertising be on here or anywhere else. As long as it's clear what the night is there shouldn;t be a problem. I doubt many regulars on here would go but some may have an affinity with the charity and so want to attend.

As for DJ's accepting booking and not knowing what the venue's music policy is thats surely a breakdown in communications and both promotor and DJ are equally at fault surely.

Social source share

cheese.jpg

Not sure what you want here?

If you have a co-promoter then surely you are joined at the hip with all things to do with the venue?

£1000 pound raised for charity has got to be your prime objective less you are big timing it airing on the side of caution with the charity tag?

Your friend who was insulted is morally bankrupt as far as I am concerned to allow his ego to overshadow a charity event.

If on the other hand he was misled in any way then you have to man up and take it on the chin because you are surely responsible, you are a co-promoter are you not?

One of the things you say that makes me a little suspicious is "Soul Night", is there anything other than cheese to be heard at these?

Why not get yer sen off to an Allnighter and hear and dance to some quality stuff, leave the cheese to the crackers.

Social source share

I run charity soul nights in the Worcester area, but because of the musical content of the evening, do not bother to advertise on soul source, Coppertops and Soulfull Sessions not a problem as they would appeal to the majority on here, we normally sell the place out and have raised over £16,000 in the last 6 years, the crowds we get tho are not normally your regular soul crowd, but they have a great time and thats what its all about, isnt it? We prefer to advertise locally and spell out what they will be getting music wise.

Rob h.

Well done for raising so much cash for your Charities and everyone else who uses soul music as a tool for Charity fund raising. I do not wish to name the events as they do good job and I think you have it right Rob with how you advertise. When I was promoting it was aimed at specific types by the DJ's which I had and people travelled and the venues I attended flyer dropping. I 've had to give up the promoting side of things because of my own health problems and DJed as a favor to the promotor and I didn't like it, but those who I did know form other local venues did enjoy the night and the other DJ I had asked, in fact to me he took no notice of the 80% 20% and played what he wanted and was upset about been told what to play.

Mr Imberboy (nice bit of Edam) I have spoke to you on several occasions from Rugby to Burnley and places between so I do get about a bit and enjoy the nighter scene.

Should their be another forum in Soul Events for Charity Party Nights? on Soulsource, It's not about me naming.It's getting the Music content right and who it is aimed at on this site. If they are on this site,

I am guilty of putting a thread on here for a Charity Party night and felt guilty ever since, because of music content of the night and what people asking for, requests, and not having the tunes. Request slips where did they come from

I think Rob has it right and advertises his local Charity soul nights locally not on here, and those that appeal to good folk on here the Events Page

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert