Record Info

I was talking to an old friend of mine last night who is an old boy and used to buy a lot of big money tunes.

He was going through some the records that he had had and sold in the past.

One of them was apparently the only copy of 'The Originals - Suspicion' which was on an acetate (not Emidisc)

and said he'd sold it for big money to a well known DJ (no names mentioned).

Anyone on here ever seen a copy? and what on if they have?

I know it's been pressed on 'Stardust' but that's not the one I'm enquiring about.

Thanks anyone!

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest smudgesmith

This was photocopied from the original acetate 20 years ago. Sadly I only had access to a B&W copier.

I believe this went from USA source to John Manship to Richard Searling

Andy

post-13948-0-53282300-1307042706_thumb.j

Andy......Gary Spencer owned this at one time...........purchased it from Manny,no doubt John can enlighten us:unsure:

Social source share

The person in question that sold the record was a guy called Gary Field from Leeds, he is a very good friend of Richards.

As said in my original post, he had many big money records back then. Anyone heard of Gary? Big mates with Soul Sam, Manship & Butch too.

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

Andy,

The ownership history was:

Tom DePerrio - Simon Soussan - John Manship - Gary Field - Richard Searling

Smudge,

I can't remember Gary Spencer having owned this although 20 years back Gary did get first choice from any purchases we made - he may have had it for a short while and sold it back to us - I honestly can't remember.

I do remember the load it came in though - over 60 10" Motown acetates which included all the legendary titles, even The Four Tops - Jazz Workshop album on acetate, that ended up going to a Japanese collector. We still have some 10" Acetates left from that original batch that we never got round to selling - I'll have to dig them out and have a look what's left over.

john

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Andy,

The ownership history was:

Tom DePerrio - Simon Soussan - John Manship - Gary Field - Richard Searling

Smudge,

I can't remember Gary Spencer having owned this although 20 years back Gary did get first choice from any purchases we made - he may have had it for a short while and sold it back to us - I honestly can't remember.

I do remember the load it came i though - over 60 10" Motown acetates which included all the legendary titles, even The Four Tops - Jazz Workshop album on acetate, that ended up going to a Japanese collector. We still have some 10" Acetates left from that original batch that we never got round to selling - I'll have to dig them out and have a look what's left over.

john

Remember that batch of acetates well. Andy didn't have a car at the time so I brought him over and we took them back to Boston to catalogue and record many of them. I don't think I've ever driven so slowly in my life !!!!!!!

Happy days.:thumbsup:

Steve Handbury

Social source share

REMEMBER GARY VERY WELL, WITH HIS BIG SOUNDS AND LITTLE BOX :lol: ....GOT SOME NICE TUNES VIA HIM, NEW WANDERERS, ADMIRATIONS AND PROFFESSIONALS ETC, TOP FELLA INDEED :thumbsup: NOT SEEN HIM IN A FEW YEARS THO

BRI PINCH

I'm in touch with Gary again now after some 30 years, I'm trying to coax him out again as I think he lost interest after he'd sold his records. His wife Lynne has been to a couple of my do's but not Gary as yet.
Social source share

Althought I am a sucker for stereo or proper versions of records I have always preferred this speeded up version of 'Suspicion' with the muddy vocals. I suppose it's the version that I (and many others) grew up with. A few years ago, when I sold off all of my boots & re-issues, this was one that I held on to.

Dave

Social source share

There was a white label of the Originals put out in the early 90s (around 92-93) - same time as the other unreleased Motown stuff started getting pressed up (Reconsider etc...)

With Gladys Knight on the flip.

post-225-0-73950600-1307300753_thumb.jpg

the "Boot" bootleg had Joe Tex on the flip according to JM guide.

Social source share

Guest east rob

With Gladys Knight on the flip.

post-225-0-73950600-1307300753_thumb.jpg

the "Boot" bootleg had Joe Tex on the flip according to JM guide.

what was the gladys title on the flip? think ive got on of these, but dont know the gladys song :hatsoff2:

cheers, rob

Social source share

There is an acetate, the working title is "Baby Have Mercy On Me".

I still think that's a mistake and the wrong label is on it, it's so obviously called Suspicion.

That particular acetate is pictured in Simon Soussan's book along with tons more.

Social source share

I still think that's a mistake and the wrong label is on it, it's so obviously called Suspicion.

That particular acetate is pictured in Simon Soussan's book along with tons more.

I'm inclined to agree Pete, it doesn't even have that line in the lyrics.

What does SS's book go for these days? Anyone got the scans they can post of some of the other acetates?

Social source share

I'm inclined to agree Pete, it doesn't even have that line in the lyrics.

What does SS's book go for these days? Anyone got the scans they can post of some of the other acetates?

I can have a go tomorrow if you like, book is in the garage and I'll never find it now.

The book must still be worth £50 I reckon.

I still don't know how much to ask for Soul Harmony 45's and someone wants it off me!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!