On The Soul Side @ The Loft Bar,bournemouth Uni

We're back with the next instalment of "On the Soul Side" @ The Loft Bar Bournemouth Uni,BH12 5BB.

Guest dj's on the night are - Jo Wallace & Dave Bentley joining myself,Danny & Mischief for a night of quality soul all on original vinyl.

£5 on the door. 8pm - 2am.Superb wooden dance floor and free car parking right outside the door.

Edited by Dave Morris
  • Replies 37
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to this Dave- should be another great nite with this Dj line up- always a pleasure to hit the south coast for soul quality and good company with like minded soulies! If you've never been to this soul event I thoroughly recommend it! Quality soul, people and really well organised by the residents, Dave and Viv! ktf

Looking forward to this Dave- should be another great nite with this Dj line up- always a pleasure to hit the south coast for soul quality and good company with like minded soulies! If you've never been to this soul event I thoroughly recommend it! Quality soul, people and really well organised by the residents, Dave and Viv! ktf

Matt,

Always a pleasure to see you on the south coast.You must be one of the most travelled soulies down this way.Looking good to be yet another great night especially with Dave and Jo guesting for us. :D :D

Hi Dave,

Well up for it, really looking forward to deejaying with the other half of the famous testicle twins,was behind the decks with Mr Chapman last weekend. We will bring sales boxes and deck if that is ok. I think this will be a packer, The Trowbridge massive will be down too.

Take Care

Dave

Hi Dave,

Well up for it, really looking forward to deejaying with the other half of the famous testicle twins,was behind the decks with Mr Chapman last weekend. We will bring sales boxes and deck if that is ok. I think this will be a packer, The Trowbridge massive will be down too.

Take Care

Dave

Dave

Hope it was a good one last weekend.No problem with sales box or deck.You can set up in the alcove on the right as you come in behind where Viv sits.Best bring some spare cash with me then. :unsure:

I remember last year when Mr Bentley Dj'd had the floor packed. Played that Trampps track off the album- top draw! Also heard Jo at Soulfusion earlier this year and she Dj'd with many of us at Mr Harvey's alldayer in Archway, London, she always plays winners like Vince Apollo etc! will be another nite to remember with the top residents and yourself Dave- ktf

Guest Dave Mortimore

. Here are a few comments I made about guest Jo Wallace in the Events Look-Back string the last time she made an appearance at Bournemouth University, some 12 months ago.

. For me, the real surprise of the night was the other guest D.J. Jo Wallace. She opened with a high tempo instrumental - G Davis & R Tyler - Hold on, help is on the way, followed by Chubby Checker - You just don't know, then Danny Woods - You had me fooled and others that made up a superb set that kept the dancefloor buzzing.. She charmed the crowd and brought a smile to my face when she introduced a record with, "This is for those that go back to Wigan and especially for Noddy Holder!" I immediately looked over to our friend Paul Bedford and observed his stark expression and raised eyebrows. I think he had often heard of this irksome comparison and finds it tiresome. But as his son Jamie rightly said, "What else can he expect when he sports a retro style feather cut and heavy sideburns." Later on, Jo went over and chatted to Paul. No real offence had been taken and nor should it, as he isn't adverse to making the odd cheeky comment, for instance, when I'm wearing baggy trousers.

. And here are two clips from the last time guest Dave Bentley played :-

. We arrived before 9.30 p.m. and caught the back end of Dave Bentley's first set. In the space of time it took to say hello to a few people, put our bags down and get a couple of drinks from the bar, I'd managed to catch pieces of Lainie Hunt - Suzie Q and (artist?) - Gypsy Woman. Jan confirmed my first impression in saying how good she thought they were and only wished we had arrived that little bit earlier so that we could have been settled in, to really savour their content and fully take them in.

. Prior to Bob Snow's second stint, Dave Bentley's second set had steadily held a full dancefloor, predominantly with off-the-wall uplifting music with a deep rythmm and groove that veered toward club music. Some of it was so infectious that even I got up and danced to a couple of them.

. I have to say that both of these guest players will be bringing plenty to the table on the forthcoming soul night. We look forward to it with enthusiasm.

. Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

I remember last year when Mr Bentley Dj'd had the floor packed. Played that Trampps track off the album- top draw! Also heard Jo at Soulfusion earlier this year and she Dj'd with many of us at Mr Harvey's alldayer in Archway, London, she always plays winners like Vince Apollo etc! will be another nite to remember with the top residents and yourself Dave- ktf

Matt, we always try to put on dj's that will compliment each other and I think in Jo and Dave we'll have that blend.Something for everyone from classic 60's onwards. :lol:

. Here are a few comments I made about guest Jo Wallace in the Events Look-Back string the last time she made an appearance at Bournemouth University, some 12 months ago.

. For me, the real surprise of the night was the other guest D.J. Jo Wallace. She opened with a high tempo instrumental - G Davis & R Tyler - Hold on, help is on the way, followed by Chubby Checker - You just don't know, then Danny Woods - You had me fooled and others that made up a superb set that kept the dancefloor buzzing.. She charmed the crowd and brought a smile to my face when she introduced a record with, "This is for those that go back to Wigan and especially for Noddy Holder!" I immediately looked over to our friend Paul Bedford and observed his stark expression and raised eyebrows. I think he had often heard of this irksome comparison and finds it tiresome. But as his son Jamie rightly said, "What else can he expect when he sports a retro style feather cut and heavy sideburns." Later on, Jo went over and chatted to Paul. No real offence had been taken and nor should it, as he isn't adverse to making the odd cheeky comment, for instance, when I'm wearing baggy trousers.

. And here are two clips from the last time guest Dave Bentley played :-

. We arrived before 9.30 p.m. and caught the back end of Dave Bentley's first set. In the space of time it took to say hello to a few people, put our bags down and get a couple of drinks from the bar, I'd managed to catch pieces of Lainie Hunt - Suzie Q and (artist?) - Gypsy Woman. Jan confirmed my first impression in saying how good she thought they were and only wished we had arrived that little bit earlier so that we could have been settled in, to really savour their content and fully take them in. .

. Prior to Bob Snow's second stint, Dave Bentley's second set had steadily held a full dancefloor, predominantly with off-the-wall uplifting music with a deep rythmm and groove that veered toward club music. Some of it was so infectious that even I got up and danced to a couple of them.

. I have to say that both of these guest players will be bringing plenty to the table on the forthcoming soul night. We look forward to it with enthusiasm.

. Dave & Jan Mortimore

Dave, will be good to see you both.Don't forget your dancing shoes as i'm sure both Dave and Jo will have you and everyone else up there at some stage.:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Morris
Guest soulcamper

Well up for the next night at the UNI, Dave - Said it before and will say it again - On The Soul Side is becoming a landmark venue for a great mix of 'Cross The Board Soul Music.

The Venue - The Organisation and The Friendly Crowd that meet up at the UNI makes this a Gem of a Rare Soul Night.

It's setting a benchmark for other to follow - and it's Going from Strength to Strength.

For those yet to get to the UNI - Try It You Will Like It!!!

SoulCamper :lol::thumbsup::(:shades::elvis:

Well up for the next night at the UNI, Dave - Said it before and will say it again - On The Soul Side is becoming a landmark venue for a great mix of 'Cross The Board Soul Music.

The Venue - The Organisation and The Friendly Crowd that meet up at the UNI makes this a Gem of a Rare Soul Night.

It's setting a benchmark for other to follow - and it's Going from Strength to Strength.

For those yet to get to the UNI - Try It You Will Like It!!!

SoulCamper :hatsoff2::yes:hatsoff2.gif:yes: :yes:

Thanks for the kind comments Alan.Its taken us a while to get there but i feel that we're getting it right.Music wise there's something for everyone. :yes: :yes:

As Alan says we are a very friendly crowd.

Dave.:yes:

Hi Dave,

The Clans are beginning to call, Tony n Jo are up from Cornwall, Big Dennis, Johnno and their ladies from Sussex are all coming over.

Should be another full house

Dave

Will be good to see everyone incl. Jo and Tony.Not seen Tony since Torquay last october.Certainly is looking to be another packer. :thumbsup::thumbup:

Really must get to one of these again soon... everyone is so friendly - well, to people that deserve it :yes:

Seriously Dave, I know I'm only 60 miles away but the journey is horrendous and, and, and... I will try to make the next one :yes:

Hi Dave, All being well and dandy we will be there its been a while, looking to be a cracking night is this :)

Hi Bearsy,hope you and Marie are well.Look forward to seeing you both hatsoff2.gif

Really must get to one of these again soon... everyone is so friendly - well, to people that deserve it :)

Seriously Dave, I know I'm only 60 miles away but the journey is horrendous and, and, and... I will try to make the next one :D

Know what the journey is like as been to Matts in Trowbridge.August is looking to be a bit special.:D

Spoke with Jonah today, looks like im picking him up as per norm for this one :lol:

If I speak to you, will you pick me up please Tim rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

All being well I should be down for another superb night of soul at the Loft ,looking forward to it .

p.s. Tim it`s only 293 miles to mine from the uni biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Spoke with Jonah today, looks like im picking him up as per norm for this one thumbsup.gif

Be good to see you both on saturday :lol::thumbsup:

If I speak to you, will you pick me up please Tim rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

All being well I should be down for another superb night of soul at the Loft ,looking forward to it .

p.s. Tim it`s only 293 miles to mine from the uni biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Brian,always great to see you at The Uni. :lol:hatsoff2.gif

Guest Dave Mortimore

. Here is another piece I wrote about our good friend Mr. Bentley back in Feb 2010 just prior to him performing at The Belvedere Hotel.

. To be sure there's going to be some crossover with Dave Bentley on the bill. Which isn't really my bag, but I'm looking forward to hearing Dave's set, not that I've really got a clue what he's going to come up with.

. Some may ask, 'Then why are you looking forward to his music?'

. Well, he does also play 60s and RnB, but to all that know him, Dave is one of these guys that bristles with enthusiasm when he talks about the records he's trying to track down and purchase, which creates an intriguing picture as to what he'll play. As he speaks of a certain artist and tune, his head will nod in a knowing fashion and his eyes will light up. I, in response, try to empathize and share some of his enthusiasm. But I'm afraid Dave hasn't cottoned on yet that he's talking to some one who is not fully up to speed, when it's comes to knowing what is out there in the far reaches of soul music.

. When I'm speaking with Dave, I realize that he and his kind are in a different league to myself. For he's one of a certain few who are prepared to graft hard, week in week out, putting what they can together to spend a sizeable wedge on records.

. His good lady Tracy must have the difficult task of restraining his addiction to vinyl.

. Another thing about Dave is that he doesn't take himself too seriously. I've made the odd back-handed compliment in jest and he's always taken it in good humour. For this and other reasons, I've got alot of time for Mr. Bentley.

. However, even though I'm not sure what to expect from Dave, as his sets in the past have always varied, I've actually registered some of the titles to the tunes he's acquired and I want to find out what makes his eyes light up so much when he's mentioned them. For these reasons alone, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

. All I can add to this is that Dave is a true gentlemen of the scene. I and I'm sure many others are looking forward to his delivery of soul music on Saturday night.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest soulcamper

Not long to go Dave. Let's hope its a packer on Saturday night! See ya soon

Soul Camper :hatsoff2:hatsoff2.gif:shades::lol::D

Edited by soulcamper