Northern Soul Dancing

Just want to say how pleased I am about this project where the focus is on the DANCING to Northern Soul!!!! I think the whole crew & dancers doing a great job and you can see the fantastic progress and fun this brings to all the people involved. I am all for playing original records and I am also a nerdy collector myself BUT without the proper dancing skills and the atmosphere this creates a Northern Soul Club would be nothing but another disco (with fantastic music) !! People go always on about tunes labels.... but I hope the dancing skills and moves will once again become the centre of attention for young and old in the near future!!!! I am soooo looking forward to see the film but I am more pleased to see more kids strutting their stuff properly on the dance floor !!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dont know if it is the future of NS its a bit contrived and for the purpose of a film project rather than being a natural cultural phenomenem .

But it is great to see young people dancing and makes a refereshing change from watching fat middle aged blokes with bad knees shuffling about like someones drunken uncle at a wedding .

Before anyone starts I dance like Uncle Knobhead :D

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Kin hell, that's a rough Salvadores ................ VG- :D

Another ---

Love the lads comment at the end "I couldn't tell ya what's been in the charts for the last four years" - Way to go fella :D

Loads more on uploaders page --

https://www.youtube.c.../tommygsoulking

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I was dancing next to some of them at the last Lifeline so they're not just in it for the film :D

I think that's an important aspect. Similar to Mark S above have a slight concern about the contrived aspect of dance lessons BUT the dancers look as though they are feeling it not just going through motions. Perhaps we had a pride in the sub-culture aspect of the scene when our knees were more able, and so tend to shun the full frontal culture, but the whole world has moved on into mass communication (like this site). All-in-all quite uplifting viewing, and not all in fancy dress which is a plus.

Social source share

Loved watching this, a much needed breath of fresh air, showed it to my (almost to be) 18-year-old Son and he enjoyed the footage, he loves the music and has connected to it in a big way, now perhaps this will inspire him to make the move to the venues?

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

cant fault any of them and dont care that there doing it for a film I wish they would all turn up at the wheel or radcliff it would be like jumping in a tardis

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just want to say how pleased I am about this project where the focus is on the DANCING to Northern Soul!!!!

Since when has the scene not been about dancing? :D

Brilliant film btw and the kids are very good.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Its sends a shiver down my spine..........I know its for a film, but I really think Elaine is doin this right & from what I could see the people are understanding what its all about & not just being taught how to dance Northern Soul by numbers.........I would hang up me Nighter pants tomorrow & just listen to mi tunes at home if there were a significant amount of these folk to continue to take the scene forward, apart from anything else I would be too embarrassed to dance next to these lot :D............good luck wi the movie & lets hope at least some of these kids continue to KTF.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

checked the website out on facebook and it looks like the dancers are actually getting into the music cant fault that can you. (or can you) !

Social source share

Guest Fryup

Lets hope that they also get taught that Flares and Polo shirts with Northen Badges stuck to them are not required or even look good. Just dress contemporary, smart casual, Fred Perry's, etc.

For todays Northern scene the music and the dancing is what is important, not the threads IMO!! Leave that to the Rude Boys who do know how to dress.

Now, where did I put my beer towel I need to iron it for Saturday.

Social source share

Lets hope that they also get taught that Flares and Polo shirts with Northen Badges stuck to them are not required or even look good. Just dress contemporary, smart casual, Fred Perry's, etc.

For todays Northern scene the music and the dancing is what is important, not the threads IMO!! Leave that to the Rude Boys who do know how to dress.

Now, where did I put my beer towel I need to iron it for Saturday.

Is it ok to wear a checked Ben Sherman?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Im sure the guy blonde hair wearing black polo shirt with white stripes and black trousers at the start of video was in the soul room at the Spa Scarborough Scooter rally throwing some moves

Looking at these kids I think the old dancing shoes are heading for retirement :unsure:

Social source share

Guest RachelY

I was dancing next to some of them at the last Lifeline so they're not just in it for the film :unsure:

some of the guys were at Crossfire in London, bank holiday weekend. they were really enjoying the music and the whole scene - Elaine is doing a great job directing the film.

Looking forward to seeing it when its released later in the year.

RAY

Social source share

Kin hell, that's a rough Salvadores ................ VG- :thumbup:

Another ---

Love the lads comment at the end "I couldn't tell ya what's been in the charts for the last four years" - Way to go fella :thumbsup:

Loads more on uploaders page --

https://www.youtube.c.../tommygsoulking

good dancing but incredibly staged.

32 seconds in this is virtually identical to one of those old wigan clips i've seen 1000's of time.

but best dancing i've seen yet in one of these kind of things. Far from being a real scene though.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

good dancing but incredibly staged.

32 seconds in this is virtually identical to one of those old wigan clips i've seen 1000's of time.

but best dancing i've seen yet in one of these kind of things. Far from being a real scene though.

Hey young pup, It was the practice sessions mate, not the real thing :thumbsup:

Social source share

as good as this may look we all know you cant teach people how to dance to northern this comes from the soul and each person has their own style that's what makes us unique :thumbsup:thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

you can teach anyone to do anything as long as they are willing. They will develop their own style eventually. Most from what I can see doing a better job than many long term soulies. Not like we all walked straight on floor as first timers and did our thing, we all watched others, copied and practised.

All involved doing a great job, can't wait for the finished film and hopefully they will all continue with the scene. If they all fancy a night at Lifeline give us a shout and we'll sort summat I'm sure.

Social source share

you can teach anyone to do anything as long as they are willing. They will develop their own style eventually. Most from what I can see doing a better job than many long term soulies. Not like we all walked straight on floor as first timers and did our thing, we all watched others, copied and practised.

All involved doing a great job, can't wait for the finished film and hopefully they will all continue with the scene. If they all fancy a night at Lifeline give us a shout and we'll sort summat I'm sure.

Spot on mate !! I had more muscles then brain when I went to my first allnighters and could even barely dance to ska. I watched, got hooked, learned a few steps and since then enjoyed every minute!!! Now I am a little on the thin side and can move a little more sophisticated then dem days. :thumbsup:

Social source share

What a load of pish!!! All very contrived & playing to the vanity of one person, although I must say some of them can shake it, nobody I know had to be taught to dance or asked to come along & dance for the nice Mr's, also there wern't that many gymnast on the floor, a lot of spinning & hand clapping(What ever happened to that?) & I didn't dance like Uncle Knobhead, although I do now, suppose I'm just jealous cos I'm not a young blade anymore & if I backdrop then my backdrops. This is a bit of a trend thing,lets see if they're still living the dream in 5 years time or later, I doubt it, we're still the last bastions of Soul for certain but we'll see after they've had their 15 minutes of fame.:thumbsup:

Take care,be safe & remember," The mind is willing but the old body is weak",

Spot.:lol:

Social source share

What a load of pish!!! All very contrived & playing to the vanity of one person, although I must say some of them can shake it, nobody I know had to be taught to dance or asked to come along & dance for the nice Mr's, also there wern't that many gymnast on the floor, a lot of spinning & hand clapping(What ever happened to that?) & I didn't dance like Uncle Knobhead, although I do now, suppose I'm just jealous cos I'm not a young blade anymore & if I backdrop then my backdrops. This is a bit of a trend thing,lets see if they're still living the dream in 5 years time or later, I doubt it, we're still the last bastions of Soul for certain but we'll see after they've had their 15 minutes of fame.:thumbsup:

Take care,be safe & remember," The mind is willing but the old body is weak",

Spot.:lol:

I guess they don't serve Bitter in the pubs where you live?

Move on and Right On Bother..

Social source share

it is very good dancing can't fault that at all realy just the big oldies and 70s dress sense etc etc is a bit retrospective.

all the cliches are evident.

Why are they clichs; that's how it happened. If the film's to be authentic it needs to have those elements :hatsoff2:

Having said that - they're not in costume in this footage - that's pretty much their own dress styles.

Social source share

Why are they clichs; that's how it happened. If the film's to be authentic it needs to have those elements :hatsoff2:

Having said that - they're not in costume in this footage - that's pretty much their own dress styles.

its a retrospective look at how the soul scene used to be in the 70s.

its very good in that respect.

is the soul scene all about looking back thast my point ?

do we forever have to try and recreate what happened in the past.

Social source share

we have danced with these people a few times now and played for them.. they are so bowled over by the music and dance .. the just love and live for it now ... and some have been around for a good few years too ! they are all really nice open people with a passion.. power to them ! and if some choose to dress in "the way" thats fine .. if they dont thats cool too ..

Paul is doing a great job in guiding them along with input from many others they meet .. nothing negative about anything going on here .. all good :hatsoff2:

pete n' susan ktf

BLACKHEART SOUL NOTTINGHAM .. JUNE 5TH .. "SUNDAY BEAT" ALL DAYER .. 3.00 PM TILL 9.00PM

+++ OLDIES ALL NIGHTER 22ND OCTOBER only £8.00 www.blackheartsoul.co.ukNOW WITH TWO ROOMS !!

Social source share

Well I for one think this footage is brilliant and hats off to the young dancers for learning and doing the moves. Cast your minds back to the early 70's and you are looking at yourselves. I think its great and would welcome these young uns to our do at Kingsway Hall where they can join up with the best dancers in the East Midlands.

KTF

Ian G

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

To myself personally the clips, although practice sessions, give me heart that this will be quite authentic looking. Although it can never be 100% accurate, there seems to be an effort to try and make it as near as possible. Hopefully under the wing of Elaine Constantine, Paul Sadot etc it ain't gonna be all about a myriad of badges and tacky plastic Addidas bags etc. I can't see much difference, apart from being circa 30 years younger and the exuberance that brings, between the clips and this --

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Fryup

Is it ok to wear a checked Ben Sherman?

Well ultimately anyone can wear what they want, the clumsy point i am trying to make in context of this thread is that whilst the music hqs continued to progress, the scene from my angle hqs stqyed the same. The music hqs never been as vast or as easily accessible as it is now, yet this has not translated in significant new blood onto the scene. I am almost 50 and it feels like we are the last generation to enjoy it. It is like anything else that refuses to become contemporary it gets stale and ignored. We collectively, if we think about it long enough and care about it enough actually have a responsibility of how the scene is represented and i think we are failing it! A few years ago some DJ or promoter was quoted as saying that Soulies were like the last hardcore Teddy Boys that refused to put away their blue suede shoes, drainpipes and DA haircuts qnd to me that was a bleeding horrible vision. This is why I get concerned about the flares thing because it does date the scene and keeps it anchored as "a scene that was relevant in the 70`s". I do understand that for many Flares are symbolic of N rthern and actually feel right on the dance floor - i get that, but outside the scene, where the new blood is, it can almost be seen as an eccentric rather than cool part of the scene. We all have to move forward.

Conversely I love it when Mods turn up and the Ska crowd because their look still works - I guess because their designs and brands are actually still contemporary but put together in a very specific way. They definitely add to the scene positively IMO.

Elaine C`s creative credentials look impressive and with her intimate knowledge of the scene the film has a lot of promise to be the catalyst that the scene needs. And if it does then we have to let the scene move forward in a direction that might not be perfect for us but better for the scene in general. Its harrd to say but feels if it carrys on the same as now then the attendees can only reduce.

I think the DJ`s and collectors are doing a fantastic their job in progressing the MUSIC but whose role is it to say what bits aren`t working and what have we got to do to grow the scene? Northern Soul is much more than an Old Boys Disco who wear funny clothes - that perception needs changing doesn`t it?

exuse typing i`m on wiered keyboard:

Social source share

It's

its a retrospective look at how the soul scene used to be in the 70s.

its very good in that respect.

is the soul scene all about looking back thast my point ?

do we forever have to try and recreate what happened in the past.

It's a film about the past... that's my point

Social source share

Guest Paul

Always great to see more people (and younger people) getting into soul musc, one way or another.

Keep it up.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Only just seen this footage and I found myself grinning like an idiot with a prickly scalp. Fooking fantastic - one day we may look back on this as the catalyst that ensured the scene stays healthy when we all hang up our shoes.

Cheers.........Pete, going back for a re-run

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!