Last One At Move On Soul Club 17Th June

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

Hi all,

Adam and I have been chatting for a while about trying to change Move On as we felt we'd fallen into a bit of a rut in terms of getting the event widely publicised and attended. We massively appreciate everyone who has come and given us a go and all the regulars who have been loyal throughout, you'll never know just how much we value you all. While we feel we've become well respected as a soul club night and with a music policy second to none (or very few) across the country, we both feel the pressure of looking for new stuff to keep fresh, and it comes around very quickly on a monthly basis, also both of us have young families and it's one more night out of the calendar when we could be supporting other venues we love. Another reason is the relatively early finish at our venue. A lot of people travel a long way to us, and are mainly the nighter crowd, and we just felt more may come if we had a later finish and so we'll be looking for somewhere a bit more central and opening later in the new year. Many a time i've had conversations with people who said, 'it's brilliant, but I just wish it was on later to make the trip worth while' we agree.

So, June will be our last date at Coventry Connexions Club and last date this year. We're going out as we mean to go on, so to speak, with two young guns of the future who have wowed the freestyle room at Rugby recently as well as at their own clubs with a clear view and mix of sounds, Azza and Rich.

Hopefully we'll get all our friends and regulars old and new out for the final one at the Connexion. We'll be taking the summer off to recharge our batteries, have a think, but be rest assured this isn't the end of Move On, we both feel like we've set some kind of standard in the last couple of years and we'll be back next year bigger, longer, stronger and still refusing to compromise on what think should go on the decks. Maybe the trend for funky soul will have passed and we'll be running with something new?

MOVE ON RARE SOUL CLUB

Friday 17th June

Coventry Connexions Club

CV8 3FL

8pm - 1am

£5 on the door

DJs

Azza

Rich

Pat Bleasdale

Adam Topping

Matt Male

Edited by Matt Male
  • Replies 49
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Matt and Adam,

Sad news indeed....

It is a great little club with an atmosphere second to none, as Jane has always said, "more like a boys club than a soul night " laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Keep us informed about whatever your plans are for 'Move On' and of course we'll see you both out and about.thumbsup.gif.

Taf & Jane

First and most importantly I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who has helped and supported Move On for the last two and half years. We've been lucky to have a great bunch of hardcore regulars and we really do appreciate that support. Got to give a special mention to the Banbury lads Tabs, Charlie, Eddie et all and to the Hinckley crowd Lank, Ady, Pete, Trev and others. Then there's the not so local supporters who have regulary made journeys of several hours to DJ or just to attend. Killa, Dr Pickles, Willy, Dave Abbot, Steve C and Karl Heard who when we first started up refused to take a penny for DJing and was always willing to lend advice on sound kit etc. Not to forget our current resident DJ Pat Bleasdale, who travels down from Liverpool every month and who has really set the standard musically, one of the nicest people you could meet and IMO one of the best DJs around.

Matt has pretty much covered the reasons so I'll just add one more thing......Friday 17th our two guest DJs Azza and Rich Evans are great DJs playing quality, fresh and exciting sounds and are the kind of guys who will shape the scene over the coming years. They are the perfect guests for this night and it would be brilliant to have a decent crowd in for them to play to and a busy/buzzing atmosphere to see Move On out :thumbsup:

Matt and Adam,

Sad news indeed....

It is a great little club with an atmosphere second to none, as Jane has always said, "more like a boys club than a soul night " laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Keep us informed about whatever your plans are for 'Move On' and of course we'll see you both out and about.thumbsup.gif.

Taf & Jane

Cheers guys thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to playing a few tunes at this Matt & Adam. :yes:

Is there any nearby cheapish hotels?

Ta,

Rich

Rich...I sent Azza all the details and hopefully he should still have them.

It would be rude to miss the last one, so I shall be up to this. :yes:

Des

Cheers Des, see you at Gloucester next week.

I love the sound of your last nite and determined not to miss it, just went to write the date on my year planner...it's the nite before Rugby, so I ain't got a hope in hell of attending...

fed up of Rugby...sad.gif

But if people wana travel down and stay over, there's an allniter 8 miles up the road on the Saturday night...:thumbsup:

Doh...Only learned about this night a few weeks back and was looking to get along a few times this year.

Can see your points though, as many nights on and must take up so much time trying to keep a high music quality event going every month.

Thanks again Adam for steering me to a couple more nice "affordable" 45's when I met you at Banbury SC last month!

Hope to attend this last one if I can, until you decide how / where / when to take things forwards next year.

All the best,

Steve

Guest Dr Pickles

"Maybe the trend for funky soul will have passed and we'll be running with something new?"

I've been experimenting with with a Soul Jazz Rap infusion. :lol: Or it could just be the records Adam can't shift.

I'll be there on the 17th.

Very interested to see the reincarnation of Move On next year.

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Guest Matt Male

Thanks Eddie, Tabs, Val, Taf, Sian, Des, Pat. You guys made this club night what it is, especially Pat who has broadened my musical horizons since joining us with the best mixed sets i've ever heard and some of the best pork pies and sausage rolls i've ever tasted and the friendliest and kindest personality on the scene.

As Tabs said, it is au revoir and we will certainly be back once we've decided exactly what we want to do in the new year. Move On as we all know it at the Connexions club is no more however and I think we'll all miss the safe parking, the clean and comfy room and the immaculate toilets, plus the numerous Asain weddings and line dancing nights next door in the Banbury suite and the bemused looks we got from attendees of pre-wedding parties on their way to the toilets. :hatsoff2:

Guest Matt Male

In an outragous attempt to keep the thread going, here is a list of the DJs we've had on, some several times, at Move On in the past two and half years. If i've missed anyone off, sorry, maybe Adam will add to it. I hope you agree that it is quite a list of rare soul talent. :hatsoff2:

Paul Sadot

Karl Heard,

Johnny Fingers,

Callum,

Pat Bleasdale

Dave Abbott

Steve Csordas

Killa

Beeks

Matt Bates

Nige Brown

Bob Morris

Eddie Hubbard

Ray Mahoney

Russ Holley

Ralph Forster

Flanny

Tabs

Charlie Mc

Tom Beckett

Ady Cope

Colin Chamberlain

60s Pete

Pat Wallace

Des Parker

Dr Pickles

Will West

Sean Hayden

John Weston

Ted Massey

Taf

John Manship

Steve Green

Bob Cornock

Lou Woods

Woody

Val Challoner

Edited by Matt Male

And in an even more outrageous attempt to keep this thread bumped shall we go out in an orgy of good music and fine food?

Pats pork pies and sausage rolls are the business.

We can have a mid year Christmas party!! :hatsoff2:

In an outragous attempt to keep the thread going, here is a list of the DJs we've had on, some several times, at Move On in the past two and half years. If i've missed anyone off, sorry, maybe Adam will add to it. I hope you agree that it is quite a list of rare soul talent. :yes:

Paul Sadot

Karl Heard,

Johnny Fingers,

Callum,

Pat Bleasdale

Dave Abbott

Steve Csordas

Killa

Beeks

Matt Bates

Nige Brown

Bob Morris

Eddie Hubbard

Ray Mahoney

Russ Holley

Ralph Forster

Flanny

Tabs

Charlie Mc

Tom Beckett

Ady Cope

Colin Chamberlain

60s Pete

Pat Wallace

Des Parker

Dr Pickles

Will West

Sean Hayden

John Weston

Ted Massey

Taf

John Manship

Steve Green

Bob Cornock

And in an even more outrageous attempt to keep this thread bumped shall we go out in an orgy of good music and fine food?

We can have a mid year Christmas party!! :yes:

Pat did mention there was the possibility of sausage rolls and pork pies :yes:. Though I think we should all pester Matt to get another cake like the one at the last anniversary night :yes::hatsoff2:

Matt.....DJ list is missing Will West and Val Challoner who both did spots for the 2nd Anniversary night, think there's one or two more missing...will try to check list again later....just remembered, Woody and Lou have done spots for us as well :yes:. I thought Tabs feigned illness to avoid doing his spot wicked.gif:yes:

We can have a mid year Christmas party!! :yes:

Pat's sausage rolls n' pork pie's mmmmmmm yum yum, think that's persuaded me, that's if I can get at em before Tabs :lol:lol.

Sorry to hear that it's the last one at this venue but I fully understand your reasons guy's, only wished it wasn't so far away I would've attended more often, gonna try my best and get to this :lol:.

A big thank you for all the great nights n' superb music I heard here :thumbsup:, but will be looking forward to your next venture with relish (go's with the pork pies lol).

Willie

Guest Matt Male

Pat's sausage rolls n' pork pie's mmmmmmm yum yum, think that's persuaded me, that's if I can get at em before Tabs :lol:lol.

Sorry to hear that it's the last one at this venue but I fully understand your reasons guy's, only wished it wasn't so far away I would've attended more often, gonna try my best and get to this thumbsup.gif.

A big thank you for all the great nights n' superb music I heard here :sweatingbullets:, but will be looking forward to your next venture with relish (go's with the pork pies lol).

Willie

You've hit the nail on the head with the travelling Willie. It's already fantastic that you and so many travelled so far for a soul night that finished at 1am. Hopefully we can make everyone's journey far more worthwhile if we go to a later time next year. :hatsoff2:

Tabs, I think a cake might be on the cards, from the same woman who made the last one. :thumbup:

. Maybe the trend for funky soul will have passed and we'll be running with something new?

hopefully not Matt and by then, hopefully, it will be accepted on the 'scene' just like other different and, to be honest, less soulful genres have.

Well done Adam and Matt and Patt for what you have put on... i will try and supporrt whatever you do next.

Sad news guys.I must hold my hands up as a non-attendee,but have supported you from afar,either on here,or meeting on our travels.

A big well done chaps,:sweatingbullets: ,,,and it begs the question - What next?..

Kev.

Cheers Kev, what next is a summer off to recharge the batteries! Matt and I will be thinking over possible ideas and talking them through as we try to come up with a format that we believe has the most chance of succeeding.

You have one last chance to to lose that non-attendee tag, round up the 'Mansfield Massive' and have yourselves a road trip to Coventry on the 17th :hatsoff2:

Well done Adam and Matt and Pat for what you have put on... i will try and supporrt whatever you do next.

thumbsup.gif

Be great if you can make it Will, and bring Shaz as well.

Lets give Move On a fitting finale at Ryton..

I'll even let you go first for the pies. :sweatingbullets:

See you at Clee my friend. :hatsoff2:

Willie

It just gets better...... laugh.gif

Tabs, I think a cake might be on the cards, from the same woman who made the last one. :thumbup:

Guest Bearsy

what a shame and as they say a rest is as good as a change, sorry cant make this well i dont think we can as are in Kent that weekend on family matters so have a goodun :sweatingbullets:

Having read all that's gone before, not just on this thread bu on other look backs etc, it has to be said that Move On soul club is one of the most respected up front soul events on the calendar.

Adam and Matt's attitude is spot on and their approach to promotion and music policy is second to none, so i think it's fair play to you guys to stand up and say something's not quite hitting the straps, and to take some time out to re-think things.

It would've been a lot easier to run it into the ground, which would've been a bigger loss!! I'm sure Move on will be back with a bang, and even more of a success next time out.

To be asked to DJ at the last one in it's current format alongside Matt, Adam, Pat and of course me mucker Rich is a privellage.

Hopefully people will come out in force to show thanks to Matt and Adam for their efforst in creating a great forward thinking event. I'm even missing the Yorks V Lancs 20/20 p*ss up (i mean cricket match) at Headingly for this, it's a must attend!!

Hotel is booked, and the excitement is kicking in.

See you down in Cov soon folks

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Guest ruffsounds

Move On is moving on, well what can i say, when Adam & Matt first muted the idea and told me they had sorted a venue Keresley Colliery Club a massive room with a great dancefloor, they have stuck to what they set out to do even after the move from Keresley to the Connextion, by bringing their own take on what they wanted played at their do's.

It seem's a long time now from the first do's when Adam & Matt first started off by asking me to help them out equipment wise to get move on started which i was only too happy to do for them, eventually i persuaded them to buy their own equipment but still helped with the setting up as it was like working on the space shuttle for those two to get the setup sorted, but they soon got the hang of it.

Music wise they knew what Dj's they wanted to play for them and what they wanted to create for like minded people and they succeeded in this i think, and i know wherever they end up next i'm sure it will be more of the same, so good luck to Adam & Matt in whatever you do next.

cheers Ralph

p.s. you know i'll be there.

Guest Northern PhanTom

All the best with future events guys, you've worked hard to achieve your cult status :thumbsup:

Big thanks from Pat Wallace & myself for all your help and support when we first started Sonic Soul. :thumbsup:

Tom :thumbsup:

Having read all that's gone before, not just on this thread bu on other look backs etc, it has to be said that Move On soul club is one of the most respected up front soul events on the calendar.

Adam and Matt's attitude is spot on and their approach to promotion and music policy is second to none, so i think it's fair play to you guys to stand up and say something's not quite hitting the straps, and to take some time out to re-think things.

It would've been a lot easier to run it into the ground, which would've been a bigger loss!! I'm sure Move on will be back with a bang, and even more of a success next time out.

To be asked to DJ at the last one in it's current format alongside Matt, Adam, Pat and of course me mucker Rich is a privellage.

Hopefully people will come out in force to show thanks to Matt and Adam for their efforst in creating a great forward thinking event. I'm even missing the Yorks V Lancs 20/20 p*ss up (i mean cricket match) at Headingly for this, it's a must attend!!

Hotel is booked, and the excitement is kicking in.

See you down in Cov soon folks

Azza

Cheers Azza,

I'm always surprised (and pleased) at the number of people who ask/talk about Move On when I'm out and about, just wish 90% of those conversations didn't include sentences like 'If only it was closer/on a saturday/finished later/etc etc :thumbsup:. Look forward to seeing you and Rich on Friday thumbsup.gif

Move On is moving on, well what can i say, when Adam & Matt first muted the idea and told me they had sorted a venue Keresley Colliery Club a massive room with a great dancefloor, they have stuck to what they set out to do even after the move from Keresley to the Connextion, by bringing their own take on what they wanted played at their do's.

It seem's a long time now from the first do's when Adam & Matt first started off by asking me to help them out equipment wise to get move on started which i was only too happy to do for them, eventually i persuaded them to buy their own equipment but still helped with the setting up as it was like working on the space shuttle for those two to get the setup sorted, but they soon got the hang of it.

Music wise they knew what Dj's they wanted to play for them and what they wanted to create for like minded people and they succeeded in this i think, and i know wherever they end up next i'm sure it will be more of the same, so good luck to Adam & Matt in whatever you do next.

cheers Ralph

p.s. you know i'll be there.

Couldn't have done it without you Ralph, Matt and I really appreciate all the help and advice in those early months and it will be great to see you Friday :ohmy:

All the best with future events guys, you've worked hard to achieve your cult status :(

Big thanks from Pat Wallace & myself for all your help and support when we first started Sonic Soul. :)

Tom :lol:

Thanks Tom, was a pleasure helping you guys out with Sonic and now I've got an extra free weekend each month you might well see me there more frequently :thumbsup:

Guest rosemary

All the best for the futurethumbsup.gif

I loved your soul night, the music just blew me away......great music and great people.......wished I could have come down to Coventry more oftenyes.gif

Hope you all have a fantastic last night at Move On........and I'll hopefully see you all again soon.

Take care xxxxx

All the best for the futurethumbsup.gif

I loved your soul night, the music just blew me away......great music and great people.......wished I could have come down to Coventry more oftenyes.gif

Hope you all have a fantastic last night at Move On........and I'll hopefully see you all again soon.

Take care xxxxx

Rosemary, enjoyed the journey with you last time, will do it again in the future.thumbsup.gif

Guest rosemary

Rosemary, enjoyed the journey with you last time, will do it again in the future.thumbsup.gif

Thank you Patsmile.gif

I enjoyed the journey there and back, and the lovely B&Byes.gif

Matt, Adam,

My monthly trips to Move On over the last couple of years have been fantastic. Heard some great tunes and bought a few there as well! Recharge your batteries boys, can't wait for the next instalment.:thumbsup:

Charlie Mc

Really enjoyed my trips to Move On to hear some great sounds and meet many friends. I'm really gutted that I'll probably have to miss the last one as I'm sure it will be a brill nite....and I'm missing out on the pies and cake !!!!

Hope it all goes well and really looking forward to hearing what you've got planned next. I'll definitely be along to support you Adam and Matt.

All the very best

Sallie

just found out its the last one :D ..............really pissed i cant make this ......pat will give you my excuse lads ............super little club i found late on but really enjoyed every night i did get to...a soul club run by soul people for soul people,..... its a .a great loss to the regulars that i know ..... so i . hope its a blast and i will see you all soon, cheers ezzie :hatsoff2: .....................ps. add me to the djs list pease ...matt .......or did i dream i was there????? .................probably ..............:lol:

Edited by ezzie brown

just found out its the last one angry.gif ..............really pissed i cant make this ......pat will give you my excuse lads ............super little club i found late on but really enjoyed every night i did get to...a soul club run by soul people for soul people,..... its a .a great loss to the regulars that i know ..... so i . hope its a blast and i will see you all soon, cheers ezzie :hatsoff2: .....................ps. add me to the djs list pease ...matt .......or did i dream i was there????? .................probably ..............:lol:

Cheers Ezzie :D

Shame you can't make it but know you've got a reasonable excuse lol......I'll talk total rubbish to people on your behalf :D

Willy & Sal....the distance you have to travel to get to Coventry it's no surprise you can't make it! Matt and I really appreciate the effort you make to attend as often as you have :lol:

Last shout from me, anybody who needs to ask questions/get directions etc etc then please call me on my mobile 07851 288049