Peterborough - Club Caliente - Fri 3Rd June

Just a few lines to thank everyone that came along to 'Club Caliente' last night (through to this morning!). Good to see faces old and new out and about after the days summer sunshine to join us. Three birthdays, four cakes and not a duff 45 played all night. Plenty of people (enough to get a good vibe/atmosphere) in attendance although admittedly a few faces we normally see were missing. My view has always been those that came last night and those that come (to previous) nights do so because they want to. They have decided to attend 'Caliente' over either another Soul night or other commitments they have - thanks. Those not there - well maybe they just wanted a quiet night in (see you next time). The music policy, 'Quality 'being the key word, remains - allowing the DJ's to play a great mix from 60's – 70's/80's and beyond, R&B and back to some quality oldies from yesteryears. I always hear some 'new to my ears' tracks from the guest DJ's and last night was no exception. Cracking early doors spot from Mick BB who played some records to the delight of several thirsty early birds. The set up (OVO) at 'Caliente' has the turntables right up in front of the dance floor and you can see the records playing as you are dancing or standing. A good number through the night glancing over the turntables, taking a closer look and making a note. Usual quality 45's from birthday boy Russ, a few from me then on to Carl Fortnum and Steve Jay. There was a 20min guest spot from David Hayden who helped Austin celebrate his 50th with 6 of the best – his favourite records from his years on the scene. It was quite a laugh though seeing Austin standing next to Russ - looked like Dr Evil and Mini-me!! An enjoyable night and with a fair number staying right to the last records and lights on showed others also had a good night. Always a laugh at the end – Russ doing his 'speech' usually involving words of wisdom about the POSH then it's out to the car park to see how I get all the gear (speakers etc..) into a mini! Followed then by bundling Pete M (looking and sounding worse wear) in the back of Russ's van to take him back to the 'Bare back B&B'. Finally thanks again to all for your support and kind comments during the night and whilst packing away – makes it all worthwhile. Next up is Friday 5th August where we will be celebrating Kev Draper's Birthday and his 40+ years on the scene (and he's only 35!!). Cheers, Ray

A couple of photos from last night:

post-7608-0-41706000-1307208798_thumb.jp

I see Carl has pulled

post-7608-0-08780700-1307208835_thumb.jp

"There's the start button"

post-7608-0-09230300-1307208856_thumb.jp

Dave Wapples and Mick BB

post-7608-0-91387900-1307208902_thumb.jp

Austin - Happy birthday

post-7608-0-01899600-1307208931_thumb.jp

Russ - Happy birthday

post-7608-0-85665000-1307208979_thumb.jp

Russ, I'd get down to the doctors with that....!

post-7608-0-81314800-1307209007_thumb.jp

Nice pic 1

post-7608-0-26475400-1307209031_thumb.jp

Nice pic 2

Edited by Raym
  • Replies 5
  • Views 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In the Library listening to my Mate Fraser Dun's Soulfull Allsorts show on Sub City (Sat 2-4)

It is a pleasure to support such a splendid night - I am not very good at waxing lyrical (not when sober anyways) but suffice to say will keep attending The Caliente as the organisers & punters allike are not only knowledgabel but also friendly & up for a laugh.

Many thanks to Russ for the lift back to the bare back (should't encourage your banter about this should I?) even if the ride was probably like the early days of rail travel.

Apologies to anyone I may have offended during the night.

Pete

Just a quick comment on Friday, very enjoyable. Nice mix of sounds, and really good to see friends, including someone I'd not seen for 3 years. Thanks to the organisers and DJs. And a big thank you to Karen for driving from Potters Bar.

thanks to everyone for another great night at club caliente smile.gif

had a good time and heard a few new sounds along with the quality tunes that i knew

looking forward to the next one

Hi Dave, yes good to see you. Even managed to get a photo of you loitering round the turntables!

See you soon, cheers Ray

Just a quick comment on Friday, very enjoyable. Nice mix of sounds, and really good to see friends, including someone I'd not seen for 3 years. Thanks to the organisers and DJs. And a big thank you to Karen for driving from Potters Bar.

Hi Geoff,

Good to see both Karen and yourself. Always nice to travel out somewhere and bump into old friends you havent seen for a while.

Thanks for your support, glad you had a good night.

Cheers, Ray