100 club...plus Hellish Return Trip

Had an outstanding time at the 100, glad to meet a few people for the first time and see a few old faces..Janine,Karen,Kolla and her fella,Lisa and Gareth, Dave and everyone else. I'll tell you what they don't half play some boody good records down those stairs eh! Thought Mark Bicknell was on top form (i know our crowd is biased, but what an atmosphere when that fellow played.) Troy Dodds and Jimmy Bo Horne were just a couple of fantastic records from the whole night.( cannot list all what i remember list would take up whole post).Do recall that Mick Smith played a record that i didn't know..some group called the Royal Esquires (title did ring a bell though!!!!!!) Also the final half hour Ady playing Lou Johnson and my old fav "Sad Thing" by that old Korean war vet. Butch's spot was also brilliant (so many things that i just do not know.....remember when people used to take old cassette recorders and put them next to the speakers..there's a novel idea) Still Mr Bicknell was the man for me.

Just a quick note on our return trip, the outstanding party leader Mr Chris Waterman pulled all the shots and blasted us out of the capital, we took a few locals out too (never look back that is our motto) at around 11am paranoia and sheer panic had ensued on the cramped works deparment mini bus,i happened to occasionaly glance in the rear view mirror and see the ashen face of Mark Bicknell his knuckles white as he gripped the seat in front ( i swear on a Kings James Bible,that at one stage he physically bit into the vinyl head rest) Also a rather mean looking character known as Dave Rimmer, sat there igniting a huge industrial sized petrol driven lighter, the flame of which must have risen around a foot and a half into the roof of the van, this sight of fire ahead of Mr Rimmers opaque sunglasses caused terror and fear with my younger freinds Shane H and his partner Kate, a few reassuring words from Marcelle softened their terrible screams. 8 hours later and in Sheffield my mate Smithy was only able to negotiate the walk to his car with a pair of golf shoes. Little Stevie and Richard behaved theirselves and were not an ounce of trouble!

Still in bed..........Brett

• Replies 35
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ShaneH

The journey back reminded me of that old disney film with the two dogs and cat!

My first trip to the 100 club was excellent and the epic journey back did not bother me at all cos we had such a good time. After spending a few years in soul clubs in the north the 100 club is that bit different for deffo. I should have made the effort years ago. Never mind I am a member now and I intend to use that membership accordingly.

I can confirm everything in Brett's post as being true although he did not mention the numerous cans of tramps brew (tennents super T) and boddingtons consumed by our gang - Rimmer/Bicknell/Little Stevie/Rich/NCSoul Chris & Marcelle/Sheffield's Tony (resident moaner but great guy!) and the other 100 club virgin - my other half Kate.

Can anyone confim the date of the next 100 club after the anniversary?

Shane

Guest in town Mikey

Do recall Mick Smith play a record that i didn't know..

I think that might be the Tams - Be young, be foolish, be happy!!

Quality. And the floor was packed with cheshire cats.

Sorry i didnt get introduced to you. Chris seemed such a nice quiet bloke. Can his driving be that bad??

Nice review Brett. It was a pleasure meeting you and as always a pleasure to have Mark and Daves company.I love to read stuff about peoples journeys there and back, it makes it seem like the reader was actually on the trip.

Great time was had by all but i will never ride in a mini bus again..Mark Bicknell slumped on the back seat with real fear in his eyes saying "please Chris slow down, we are all going to die" Chris was only doing 60 mph at the time,must have been those early morning blues after a big night out...Good to meet you Shane and you're better half, lets do it again soon..

Can anyone confim the date of the next 100 club after the anniversary?

9th of October !

Good to meet you Shane and glad to here you all made it back in one piece. God - those teeth-clenching, hair-raising rides down motorways (at err 40 mph) were threatening to put 20 years on me so i gave them up - British Rail rocks!

Guest Chris Waterman

In my denfence I only yelled at one slightly over weight woman who thought that walking in front of me when the lights were on GREEN give her right of way and before anyone chips in those bloody ricshaw drivers needed taking out!

But what a cracking night have to agree with what the others have said and for me the highlight of the night had to be when I and Mick Smith were having a bit of spot the missing DJ on the flyer when someone looked over his shoulder and butted in with " Gary Rushbrooke is dead" and Mick's rather dry reply sent me laughing back downstairs.

Thanks to all for making our trip a good crac

Cheers

Chris W

I always think that mini bus trips to a venue are great fun.Maybe not as comfy as travelling by car or train but you do have great fun when a lot of people are going together, it builds the excitement of the night :-)

Guest James Trouble

There is a record that ady loopton played in the second half of his second set that I need to know. It's a funk track with male vocal (or "agro soul" if some of you find it a less offensive termbiggrin.gif). Ady and the luvuly Lyn both told me what it is at 8.30am, but I can't remember.

Ady or Lyn, can you help me out again guys. I HAVE to have this record. wub.gif

Another 45 enquiry from Saturday night -

Mick (or son of Mick) played it - The song was either the very first or second record on Saturday night - Male vocal group and the chorus went something like....

Can't get over losing

now you say that we are through

Walk on by... walk on by...

Mick - it's on your last tape but I haven't had another chance to listen to it so I can't count in the tracks to find the corresponding singer to the song... Not that it helps cause ya NEVER write down the song titles anyway... :) )

Guest micksmith

hi kolla-the track was,

leon haywood-you don't have to see me cry-decca.

the first track on the tape was,

tony borders-promise to myself-quinvy.

James>

We met briefly on Saturday night when I introduced myself re: your radio shows.

I think the track you might mean is Benny Harper - My Prayer - Harper Soul

www.ktfdownload.co.uk

just pop it in there for a realplayer blast to see if its the one.

Lookign forward to the next deepfunk radio session btw.

Cheers

Joel

Guest James Trouble

James>

We met briefly on Saturday night when I introduced myself re: your radio shows.

I think the track you might mean is Benny Harper - My Prayer - Harper Soul

www.ktfdownload.co.uk 

just pop it in there for a realplayer blast to see if its the one.

Lookign forward to the next deepfunk radio session btw.

Cheers

Joel

Thanks for that Joel, and great to meet you. Thanks for your kind words. I didn't get round to getting a new show recorded on Sunday, I was soooo hung over. However, 100% there is going to be a new show online this Friday with plenty of crossover for you as requested!thumbup1.gif

But I'm afraid it's not the Benny Harper, I know that fucker inside out.whistling.gif

I fear the only people who can help me are Mr Loopton or the luvuly Lyn.sneaky2.gif

There is a record that ady loopton played in the second half of his second set that I need to know. It's a funk track with male vocal (or "agro soul" if some of you find it a less offensive termbiggrin.gif). Ady and the luvuly Lyn both told me what it is at 8.30am, but I can't remember.

mmmmmaybe Herbert Hunter - Push away from the table - Spar?

...no, I wasn't there, but I'll see you on the 9th October.

It's all true what Brett says, Mark was sitting right behind me, whimpering into the headrest. The funniest thing for me though was Brett.

On the way down he collected the paltry sum due from everyone to pay for the minibus hire etc.

On the way back he tried to collect it again, having no recollection of not only paying his own money but collecting everyone else's money as well. Just how much 8% Tennants did you drink Brett.

Thanks to Chris for organising it all, and getting me home safely. Thanks to everyone else for their company, and speciel, special thanks to Mick Smith for saying within earshot of me "I hope there are no Bolton fans in tonight" Little did he know !!!!!!

If only Arsenal started with a 'C', then Bolton Wanderers Football Club would still be top of the Premiership as we speak.

Dave..the very thought, you know i only drink "Lemon Tea".

Haven't you seen my pictures in the gallery..the ones with the glassy eyed expression,. is because i do have glass eyes!

And the sound equipment worked, the DJs all kept to their times, there were no rows or scandals and it didn't seem too incredibly hot for August. Perhaps we're getting the hang of it now we're nearly 25.

Ady

PS Kolla's sticking up the new ticket info on the site www.6ts.info it'll probably sell out in a week or so, so don't hang about.

Sounds like quite a plesant return trip to me. On the very same night 2 years ago after an equally good night at the 100 Club the country was swept by 100 mph gales. We were nearly decapitated on Tottenham Court Road by a flying metal sign but worse was to follow. Imagine our horror upon arriving at Kings Cross only to find that all trains were cancelled as the power lines were down. After an hour of frantic phone calls & general panic our only way home was by taxi & the only driver willing to take us was stoned & couldn't speak a word of English (although he did understand what "f*****g slow down," meant. The journey to Doncaster station was the longest 4 hours of our lives, the cab was all over the road & trees were flying through the air, but when you closed your eyes it was even more frightening. The taxi driver earned ever penny of the £180 fare (quite cheap on reflection), we're still suffering from nightmares/flashbacks but still keep going back for more. Mark, Angus & Karen.

the country was swept by 100 mph gales. We were nearly decapitated on Tottenham Court Road by a flying metal sign but worse was to follow.

Goodness - was that 2 years ago !!!

I'd gone straight from the 100 club, to breakfast, then to a pub behind Oxford Street and stayed there till last orders. Unbelievably, I missed the entire thing.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Goodness - was that 2 years ago !!!

I'd gone straight from the 100 club, to breakfast, then to a pub behind Oxford Street and stayed there till last orders. Unbelievably, I missed the entire thing.

Top Bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my kind of gal ;o)))))

I take it you mean 10:30 and not the lilly livered southern shandy drinking 3:00 closing though.............................

John

3 !! Don't you be cussing at me JoT. LOL ... Harboro' Horace can vouch for the fact I was a hard-livered northern that day.

True and the funny thing was that the storms didn't start until the afternoon by which time we were arseholed and we didn't find out about the storms until the next day; even though we were quite near the windows.

Ady

Guest Johnny One Trout

LOL you can't beat a good booze up after a nighter problem nowadays is that muggins has to drive home and they are all so bloody far away

Looks like we will be in the smoke this weekend as it happens a certain Quentin Tarrantino's Birthday and he tried to tell me he was younger than me bloody liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoT

Sounds like quite a plesant return trip to me. On the very same night 2 years ago after an equally good night at the 100 Club the country was swept by 100 mph gales. We were nearly decapitated on Tottenham Court Road by a flying metal sign but worse was to follow. Imagine our horror upon arriving at Kings Cross only to find that all trains were cancelled as the power lines were down. After an hour of frantic phone calls & general panic our only way home was by taxi & the only driver willing to take us was stoned & couldn't speak a word of English (although he did understand what "f*****g slow down," meant. The journey to Doncaster station was the longest 4 hours of our lives, the cab was all over the road & trees were flying through the air, but when you closed your eyes it was even more frightening. The taxi driver earned ever penny of the £180 fare (quite cheap on reflection), we're still suffering from nightmares/flashbacks but still keep going back for more. Mark, Angus & Karen.

Remember that morning very well, we also happened to catch train , only for it to stop on some remote wasteland for over 2 hours, then when we finally moved we went to Luton, and were told all trains were cancelled, waited for another 2 hours untill Rail company laid on a taxi, which me and Smithy shared with a crazy Quaker and an old "Bag Lady" that then took us on a wild trip up north.

we made it though........i have since taken to wearing a "Stove Pipe Hat" and a flowing black gown !

Ady or Lyn, can you help me out again guys. I HAVE to have this record. wub.gif

could it have been I smell trouble - Johnny De'vigne on De-lite?

Johnny D'Vigne has been getting plays on the mod scene for ages.......a brilliant bit of hard as f*** r&b. I thought you were looking at at least £250 upward for it, but I could be wrong.......

Btw...anyone know of where I can find a soundclip of The Appointments - I Saw You There on Delite??

Cheers

Joel

Guest in town Mikey

Anyone seen the adverts on the tube for some computer games fair?

Has the tag Kiss my butt goodbye.

If that was the Bettye Swan song, would that be agro soul??