• Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nick Harrison

Nice find, good old Pete Shirley there.

Pete, last I heard had packed off to foreign shores - Denmark or Sweden maybe.

How you keeping Barry .................................hope one is ok. See you are busy with Yogi and the scottish weekender at present. Do believe Peter has returned to these shores. Take care :thumbsup: .

Regards

Nicolas.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks for posting Beryl and Fred :thumbsup::lol: , seem to recall attending only the one all nighter at the Dompolski Club during 1987 in Bedford with Pete and Louise, as at this time only less than 30 hardcore regular travelling folks - kept the rare Modern Soul Scene alive. And of the handfull left - did not Mike Godfrey and Mary promote this nite? Its was when Kev Kelly and Soul Sam where inseparable and Sandbox (Mary Comer) and the shit Ron Jonas - Cross My Heart were big tunes. But look at the playlist :yes: . And Parkers was on lift off.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

J.J. Johnson top sound..

It was until me and Gary S found him working in a supermarket in Florida.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for posting Beryl and Fred :thumbsup::lol: , seem to recall attending only the one all nighter at the Dompolski Club during 1987 in Bedford with Pete and Louise, as at this time only less than 30 hardcore regular travelling folks - kept the rare Modern Soul Scene alive. And of the handfull left - did not Mike Godfrey and Mary promote this nite? Its was when Kev Kelly and Soul Sam where inseparable and Sandbox (Mary Comer) and the shit Ron Jonas - Cross My Heart were big tunes. But look at the playlist :yes: . And Parkers was on lift off.

Went to two nighters their,Andy Etheridge and myself made the trip up from Norwich :yes: Happy days back then,cant be arsed to go anywhere now unless i'm watching Norwich City

Simon M had hair back then.

Social source share

You had hair too Chris :yes: Hey I had Halo on Marshal and Sam had the re-issue :lol:

Ive got a picture of this gig somewhere , the place had a sound limiter .First time I had come across one LOL :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

You had hair too Chris :yes: Hey I had Halo on Marshal and Sam had the re-issue :yes:

Ive got a picture of this gig somewhere , the place had a sound limiter .First time I had come across one LOL :lol:

Luther Vandross :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

Thanks for posting Beryl and Fred :sweatingbullets:laugh.gif , seem to recall attending only the one all nighter at the Dompolski Club during 1987 in Bedford with Pete and Louise, as at this time only less than 30 hardcore regular travelling folks - kept the rare Modern Soul Scene alive. And of the handfull left - did not Mike Godfrey and Mary promote this nite? Its was when Kev Kelly and Soul Sam where inseparable and Sandbox (Mary Comer) and the shit Ron Jonas - Cross My Heart were big tunes. But look at the playlist :hatsoff2: . And Parkers was on lift off.

The first was August 87 and I think there was only one more after this in the autumn. I was at this one, you're right it was a bit thin on the ground punters wise but I think Leighton Buzzard Unicorn was on the same night. Some great stuff played that night and I always remember some fella walking off the dance floor in disgust cos Space Lady got played (by Sam, I think) and it was far too much of an old sound for him!!! Mick Godfrey had a stall there and he sold me so much stuff I wasnt planning on, I had to bunk the train home.

Social source share

those flyers are a great snapshot moment in time sort of thing

just having a quick driveby pimp the gallery moment

there is a fair few old flyers up in the 1980-90s events albums

https://www.soul-sour...99-soul-events/

if you has got the time to post am sure they be a worthy addition to it and be appreciated by other members in future

same goes for anyone else with quality archive type stuff

always feel its worth adding the worthwhile stuff to the gallery as well as posting in the forum

as in the gallery - the pics do still stay in focus, while in the forum they do sort of 'disappear' once the forum post goes down the list

Social source share

those flyers are a great snapshot moment in time sort of thing

just having a quick driveby pimp the gallery moment

there is a fair few old flyers up in the 1980-90s events albums

https://www.soul-sour...99-soul-events/

if you has got the time to post am sure they be a worthy addition to it and be appreciated by other members in future

same goes for anyone else with quality archive type stuff

always feel its worth adding the worthwhile stuff to the gallery as well as posting in the forum

as in the gallery - the pics do still stay in focus, while in the forum they do sort of 'disappear' once the forum post goes down the list

HI Mike. Will do. Only just got on this scanning lark.Have "loads" of old *80's flyers. If post any in future straight to gallery.

Also only did this night. seem to remember Chaz & katrina from Kettering being there. Mike Godfrey & Mary still selling records.Bet he wishes he still had his 150 count of bileo!

Social source share

dont it make ya feel funky........ The Dompolski Club Bedford ...................the soul scene circa 1987! -great times and the sharp end of the modern soul scene for sure...attached photo courtesy of the Simon M collection...

ktf tfk thumbsup.gif

post-3067-0-34458700-1307487928_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Hi Simon,

I think thats what Pete and myself were discussing [whats that 12" that i have stuck to my hand]....i seem to think one of 2 titles from that era????? zooming in on the photo probably Crosswinds -Fire[its getting hot] ???? which was still being played covered up????? or could have been Brothers by Choice ALA outing Girl i need you too????? .......but whatever it was it looks like i was hanging on to it for dear life???? bear in mind this was over 24 years ago so the attention to detail aint what it use to be.....

tfk :D

hey Simon get some more of ya old flyers n photos posted up -fascinating stuff ....

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Im trying to get some old Echoes to build a story of the 80's Modern Soul Scene ( a mate has the lot.. all in order too) . I was hoping for some help from Stuart Cosgrove but hes way too busy wink.gif

I bet that 12 was Crosswinds ( the Patrick Moten coverup) . I sold a 7 of that on Manships for a nice price :D . We need a time machine hey

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Hi Simon,

I think thats what Pete and myself were discussing [whats that 12" that i have stuck to my hand]....i seem to think one of 2 titles from that era????? zooming in on the photo probably Crosswinds -Fire[its getting hot] ???? which was still being played covered up????? or could have been Brothers by Choice ALA outing Girl i need you too????? .......but whatever it was it looks like i was hanging on to it for dear life???? bear in mind this was over 24 years ago so the attention to detail aint what it use to be.....

tfk :D

hey Simon get some more of ya old flyers n photos posted up -fascinating stuff ....

On seeing the photo I said he's got a copy of Crosswinds in his hand there, so I'll second it.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi Simon,

tfk :yes:

Looks more like J P Rodgers LP or the 12" on Inculcation - as the Brothers By Choice 12" was distributed in the ALA silver and blue company label sleeve, and of the few handful of Crosswinds 12" copies around back then - sleeve's were red. But hey ho :yes: .

What was that 12" by Sterling Harrison called - that Mr Ellis played back then.....................anyone.

Thanks.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

yep your probably right Nick-i seem to think i got the JP Rodgers off RD at VFTS at a later date ....so aint sure-but what ever it was i didna want to let go of it-so it must have been a long time wants....was the Sterling Harrison 12" on phono records?

best

tfk thumbsup.gif

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

....was the Sterling Harrison 12" on phono records?

best

tfk thumbsup.gif

Not to sure about the label or the title, but at the time it was one of many nice tunes spun by Mr Ellis. Seems this 12" like many, having gone into hiding after a short period of exposure.

Kind regards,

Nikolas :) .

Social source share

dont it make ya feel funky........ The Dompolski Club Bedford ...................the soul scene circa 1987! -great times and the sharp end of the modern soul scene for sure...attached photo courtesy of the Simon M collection...

ktf tfk thumbsup.gif

So young TFK.....that vinyl is superglued to yer mit sir......lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!