Nottingham Soul Club

Guest John Poole

Guest John Poole

Many thanks to all who made Saturday another very enjoyable night

Your support is very much appreciated

Nice to see friends from Wigan, South Yorkshire and the West Midlands again

A big thank you to our resident dj's Mick Boyle and Dave Tidswell and not forgetting our special guest Simon Hunt for playing the tunes

We are back again on the first Saturday in July

ATB

John & Glyn

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that small back room is an oasis of soul music in an east midlands desert of normality. ohmy.gif

simon, mick & john played 'rare' soul tunes with a depth and diversity to suit ALL those who 'like a nice tune' biggrin.gif

10 out of 10, well done guys, top soul expected and provided thumbsup.gif

First time visit for us and a very enjoyable one it was - spent most of the night in the smaller rare room and heard some cracking stuff from John and Mick and Simon, well he took me on a bit of a back down memory lane journey spinning some classic Stafford period stuff and some quite exclusive acetates, one offs and never heard before gems with the occasional nod and comment of appreciation to each other, it was without doubt a night of TOP STUFF in FAB company and a return visit is a MUST!!

See you out and about.

Dave

&

Donna

www.starsandstripesimports.com

Guest soul over easy

just to put the record straight there wouldnt be a nottingham soul club if it wasnt from me i came up with the idea of starting a soul club at the new venute club previously known as the plessey club ,reason being in my youth we al use to go there for northern around 74 /75 time,so i thought id start a soul club there again back in its roots my firast choice of dj,s to help me was someone who already runs a sucessfull soul club so wont name him the second ,so i asked glynn sissons having gone to school with glynn and knowing what a superb record collection glynn asmy next chpoice was a person me and glynn went to school with and also as a record collection to rival glynns ,but i asked poolie whpo ive known from 76 time and is a likable bloke ...behind the scenes id met someone in oz and was suppose to go over but changed my mind ,so the launch of the nottingham soul venue was suppose to be my leaving do witch we hoped would attract friends and it did .I was informed if i went dont worry as i would still be apart of the set up till at least three months after incase i changed my mind and returned seeings id set this venue up basically.As folks know i never qent to oz so i was supposedly at the helm of the nottingham soul club,only in person i never had any say in dj,s or anything basucally and let mates manipulate me to be honest. Even for sitting on the door i was not allowed and told i must walk around and mingloe with the crowd etc etc and l;ike a fool i did ... sen chapman night did it for me no comment as i still like poolie and glynn but i walked from my own event so abny body going down there to suppoert me youre going down the wrong path anybody going down to support john and glynn well they got the recordas and still nice blokes ....any body going down to supprt dave tiddswell ...excelant choice another school mate and will play really good stuff case closed good luck down there ...tommo.

Guest John Poole

Tommo

Hardly the right forum for this and I must say that I for one am very disappointed that you feel the need to post on here

Why???

I am told that you have said all of this on a social networking site already some time ago and so can't understand what your motives are to bring this up again now?

This topic is here to discuss the good night we had last Saturday

You clearly have issues, and you have my phone number feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this as it would appear that you don't recall everything

I usually don't respond and don't usually feel the need to defend myself but your posts do mis represent the whole situation.

Our first night was a leaving do for you, we have been friends for a long time and you leaving for the other side of the world might have mean't that me and the rest of your mates had the opportunity to say goodbbye in style because if you remember you had originaly planned to go to Oz in the last week in Jan and then it was put back to Feb and then finally in March

When it became clear that you were going to stay in the UK at the end of March both Myself and Glyn asked you on a number of occasions to come back in.

It is obvious now that you are upset about some issues but cannot believe that you feel that you have been manipulated but would much rather discuss this with you face to face as I am sure would Glyn

As you have said we have been friends for a long while and I wouldn't want to lose a long lasting friendship over misunderstandings over a local soul night.

As far as I am concerned the offer for you to be a part of the event still stands.

All you need to do is pick up the phone and ring

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there well thank's for a great night Tina and me really enjoyed ourseves and great to see so many friends I'll try and remember what I played Ian working from memory it's roughly this ;oldies room (not probably in this order,

1 Willie Kendrick Change your ways RCA.

2 Billy Arnell tough Girl Holly.

3 Robby Lawson Burning sensation Kyser.

4 Jimmy Mac My world is on fire .Palmer.

5 Gwen Owens Wanted and needed Velgo.

6 De-lites Lover Cuppy.

7 Dena Barnes If you ever waked out of my life Inferno.

8 Chandlers Your love makes me lonely ColSoul.

9 Chip Tyler because I love you Chicory.

10Luther Ingram If it's all the same ... HIB.

11Tan Geers Let my heart and soul OKEH.

12Rita and the tiaras Gone with the wind ........... DORE.

13 Boby smith Walk on into my heart A.Arts.

14C.Cooper Hearaches away my boy PARKWAY.

15 Frankie Beverly Because of my heart SASSY.

16.Younblood Smith you can split. VERVE.

17.L.Allen Can't we talk it over G.Dolphin.

18.Tony Galla In love SWAN.

19.B.Lou & B.Adams Dr.Truelove Tra-X.

20.Majestics. i love her so much ..... LINDA.

21.Linda Griner. Good-by cruel love MOTOWN.

22.Ronnie McNeir Sitting in my class DE.TO.

23.Donna King Take me home HOT-LINE.

24.Timi Yuro. Never be over for me LIBERTY.

RARE ROOM

1.Bobby Valentine Use it befor you lose it FANIA.

2.Paris Sleepless night's DOC.

3.Debonairs Come back baby SOUL CLICK.

4.Judy Hughes Fin fine fine VAULT.

5.Virginia Blakley Let nobody love you MOJO.

6.Professionals That's why Ilove you Groove City.

7.Mac Staten There she goes PRELUDE.

8.Midnighters You gonna make me cry WhITTER.

9.Ree Flores Look into my heart. M&H.

10,Deadbeats No second chance STRATA.

11.Eric Mercury Lonely Girl. SAC.

12.Vondells Hey girl you changed AIRTOWN.

13.Jesse Davis Gonna hang on in there ERA.

14.Soul set Will you ever learn. BI-ME.

15.Ravin Mads. Where is the love RAVIN.

16.Ronnie love Chills and fever BELL SOUND ACETATE (VERY ALTERNATIVE TAKE ).

17.Nat Hall. Why LOOP.

18.Johny Watson. Big bad wolf ACETATE (UNISSUED VERSION ).

19.Empires Your on top girl CANDI.

20.Dobie Gray What a way to go. WHITE WHALE.

21.Soul bros inc. Teardrops SALEM.

22.Otis Lee Hard road to hoe QUAINT.

23.Betty Turner Winds kept going. CRESCENT.

24.Ascots. another day MIR-A-DON.

25.Encores My hearts beating SCREEN GEMS COLUMBIA (TTG/VAULT ) ACETATE unissued inst. to Andy Fisher.

26.James Bell. The love of my girl. 3 Diamonds.

27.Brand New Thousand years DU-VERN.

28.Blue jay's Point of veiw. JAY.

29.Topics Hey Girl CHADWICK.

30.Topic Win that pretty girls heart UNISSUED AUDIO DISC.

31.Magnetics Count the day's SABLE.

32.Jimmy Seals. Yesterday of our love. CHALLENGE.

33.Artist Unknown. He wont stay MIRA SOUND ACETATE ( Found by Gilly in popcorn's studio !!!!!!!!!! )

I don't know if there was any more as I had a little sniftner and a smoke when I got back home .Love and peace you groovy groover SY & TEE HUNT.

Guest John Poole

Corking sets Simon,

Just as a matter of interest what did the "gut" play, and have you finnished with Dave's polaroid yet?

Guest sharmo 1

Thank's John , Dave's polaroids are safe ( He slipped me a couple of new ones taken at this birds place yyou can see the four chick's totaly naked there's even some feathers and bit's of shell's lying around ....now that's what I call four dirty chick's John) By the way Tina's had her thing today and we're now waiting on results I'll phone you when we know in the mean time let's do the curry and beer thing or are we waiting for Tim's trip down ? see you soon owd lad Sy. and Tee.

Guest soul over easy

well lets put our cards on the table here it wasnt you or glynn that thought of a soul club at the new venture club aka plessey club it was me and i put the home work into geting t the event secured then asked you and glynn to come on board long before the oz sistuation had materialised ok?.You picked the dj,s from day one and i was in a nice way being soft natured manipulated into everything that went off and i just sat back and agreed with it all witch was my sumise looking back in reflection ... the rare room was suppose to be a modern room and i had allready approached somebody to do that room then you changed youre mind and said no it will be a rare room and as usual i went with youre decision ...if id of stood firm it would be a different situation today john and ive not fell out with you still respect you, known you too long mate but i dont want anybody going down there on false pretences that its my venue or im involved and remember lads every venue when you make a shiling its down to me good luck tommo.

Guest John Poole

Hey Simon

Let us know when you hear anything

Thanks again mate for Saturday................you were awesome and then some

Guest soul over easy

see no comment to my last remarks then lads obviously truth comes home i supposedly employd you both only to get shafted ok well my own fault lesson learnt still wont fall out with ya known ya too long still like ya both just dont want peeps going down there thinking they supporting me ok and poolie still luv ya ....ktf.

Guest soul over easy

regarding the oz trip you told me personally i was still the head of the club for at least three months after id left just incase id changed my mind and decided to come bvack youre words not mine john....i asked you also if i could sit thye door and was told no id be better mingling with folks and youre mrs would sort the door fair enough then you tell me youre mrss should get paid for giving their sat night up witch like a prat i agreed to again ...i wont disclose the figure but we klnow and i odnont known any body else whos partners get paid for sitting on the doors? final nail was sean chapman nightn bwe all supose to be partners splitting money three ways? but you tywo said you paid paid for sen chapman to stay in a hotel etc etc out of my cut ...there ended my case i was told by my employees where our money went and i was entitled to free admission to my own venue with a partner now folkjs you dont have to be a rcket scientist to knbow ive been shafted in my own venue case closed and should on gone with tony clarke and anbother close pal ...ktf

Guest soul over easy

to close the matter regarding the nottingham soul club there as been a few misunderstandings and crossed wires over the event regarding myself ,glynn and john, its done with now we cant turn the clocks back so let the club progress forward am, sure people know what great pedigrees glynn and john have regarding soul music, i went to school with glynn and have known his passion for northern for some time weve had a few good laughs over the years and best of luck to glynn ,mr poole now what can i say about poolie hes a shrewd buisness man lol, john is a good lad and as done me many a favour on and off the scene deffinately a likeable chap and can be qiute hilarious if you know properly so best wishes to poolie as for mickey boyle hes just nuts dead funny bloke and finally dave tiddswell another school mate and close friend also in my opinion one of the best up and coming dj,s on the scene at this moment in time ,well deserves respect and more recognition for the fantasdtic spots he does ... i know in the nottingham area people look forward to daves spots at the local events you get no bollox off him genuine time tested oldies and not the same old stuff you hear everyweek ... so carry on chaps and as you were ...tommo.

Hi there well thank's for a great night Tina and me really enjoyed ourseves and great to see so many friends I'll try and remember what I played Ian working from memory it's roughly this ;oldies room (not probably in this order,

1 Willie Kendrick Change your ways RCA.

2 Billy Arnell tough Girl Holly.

3 Robby Lawson Burning sensation Kyser.

4 Jimmy Mac My world is on fire .Palmer.

5 Gwen Owens Wanted and needed Velgo.

6 De-lites Lover Cuppy.

7 Dena Barnes If you ever waked out of my life Inferno.

8 Chandlers Your love makes me lonely ColSoul.

9 Chip Tyler because I love you Chicory.

10Luther Ingram If it's all the same ... HIB.

11Tan Geers Let my heart and soul OKEH.

12Rita and the tiaras Gone with the wind ........... DORE.

13 Boby smith Walk on into my heart A.Arts.

14C.Cooper Hearaches away my boy PARKWAY.

15 Frankie Beverly Because of my heart SASSY.

16.Younblood Smith you can split. VERVE.

17.L.Allen Can't we talk it over G.Dolphin.

18.Tony Galla In love SWAN.

19.B.Lou & B.Adams Dr.Truelove Tra-X.

20.Majestics. i love her so much ..... LINDA.

21.Linda Griner. Good-by cruel love MOTOWN.

22.Ronnie McNeir Sitting in my class DE.TO.

23.Donna King Take me home HOT-LINE.

24.Timi Yuro. Never be over for me LIBERTY.

RARE ROOM

1.Bobby Valentine Use it befor you lose it FANIA.

2.Paris Sleepless night's DOC.

3.Debonairs Come back baby SOUL CLICK.

4.Judy Hughes Fin fine fine VAULT.

5.Virginia Blakley Let nobody love you MOJO.

6.Professionals That's why Ilove you Groove City.

7.Mac Staten There she goes PRELUDE.

8.Midnighters You gonna make me cry WhITTER.

9.Ree Flores Look into my heart. M&H.

10,Deadbeats No second chance STRATA.

11.Eric Mercury Lonely Girl. SAC.

12.Vondells Hey girl you changed AIRTOWN.

13.Jesse Davis Gonna hang on in there ERA.

14.Soul set Will you ever learn. BI-ME.

15.Ravin Mads. Where is the love RAVIN.

16.Ronnie love Chills and fever BELL SOUND ACETATE (VERY ALTERNATIVE TAKE ).

17.Nat Hall. Why LOOP.

18.Johny Watson. Big bad wolf ACETATE (UNISSUED VERSION ).

19.Empires Your on top girl CANDI.

20.Dobie Gray What a way to go. WHITE WHALE.

21.Soul bros inc. Teardrops SALEM.

22.Otis Lee Hard road to hoe QUAINT.

23.Betty Turner Winds kept going. CRESCENT.

24.Ascots. another day MIR-A-DON.

25.Encores My hearts beating SCREEN GEMS COLUMBIA (TTG/VAULT ) ACETATE unissued inst. to Andy Fisher.

26.James Bell. The love of my girl. 3 Diamonds.

27.Brand New Thousand years DU-VERN.

28.Blue jay's Point of veiw. JAY.

29.Topics Hey Girl CHADWICK.

30.Topic Win that pretty girls heart UNISSUED AUDIO DISC.

31.Magnetics Count the day's SABLE.

32.Jimmy Seals. Yesterday of our love. CHALLENGE.

33.Artist Unknown. He wont stay MIRA SOUND ACETATE ( Found by Gilly in popcorn's studio !!!!!!!!!! )

Many thanks Simon, the back room stuff was awesome mate, even Dave R was dribbling laugh.gif, hope Coop's prancing didn't wreck any vinyl ph34r.gifph34r.gif,

Your right about the VERY alt Ronnie Love take !! James Bell top tune in my book

Thanks, Ian.

Guest Stretford

Stick your politics where the sun don't shine!! Great night,great tunes,great time!! Heres to many more at NSC. Mac.xxx

I keep looking at Sharmo's play lists............ bloody hell ohmy.gif , unbelievable stuff. RESPECT !

if you'd have taken ten minutes out and gone into the rare room you may have actually heard one or two of them..... just saying wink.gif

Guest soul over easy

regarding my comments on here a few days ago just to put the matter to rest a couple of things was mentioned to me witch put a bee in my bonnet ,after a full day of drinking until the early hours the demon drink took hold of me and i said things i truly regret. However iam man enough to appologise when im in the wrong... having had a decent conversation with glynn today id like to put the record straight regarding any misunderstandings ive had with the lads . Most and formost id like to make quite clear john poole as looked after me taking me to various venues as his guest also favours off the scene and weve had some right good laughs ,Hes been a bloody good mate to me on the scene ever since ive known him if i sit back and think about things clearly. Glynn and tidds as ive already mentioned we go back even further to school years,glynns also been a top guy and decent friend a little serious at times but strasight john bull, tidds is just top bloke and dj as for mickey boyle havent known mick long but hes as mad as a hatter ... all the best to this little soul force and the nottingham soul club . tommo.