News: Benny Spellman Rip

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fortune Teller I think is one of the greatest records of all time, in any genre.

I totally agree...superb lyric and well delivered.

I can also remember the first time I played, 'This Is For You My Love' at the Capitol Soul Club...played in twice in the one night as it caused such a buzz! If the truth be known, I actually bought that disc for the other side, 'It's For You', which I first came across on the Charly LP release...another great slab of New Orleans/Northern Soul.

RIP Benny.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

It just seems never ending. Another memory dies.

I was late in hearing Benny Spellman. I heard Lipstick Traces on pirate radio (Radio Invicta I think) and being in a group like almost everyone else back then, we just had to do it. Other groups all seemed to be doing Fortune Teller, but I just loved that New Orleans groove of the 'a' side.

RIP Benny.

Social source share

he gave me so much pleasure over the years i can still remember ordering lipstick traces from my local record shop ist time round it took one month to come in and yes i still have it R I P BENNY SPELLMAN BRIAN WALKER

Even if you had not come across his other work , you will have heard and enjoyed " Fortune Teller " at some point in your life .

Another sad loss .

Malc

Social source share

Guest steve H

It's sad about Benny, great voice, but just one thing: why have you a picture of Lloyd Price up instead of Benny?

Social source share

Even if you had not come across his other work , you will have heard and enjoyed " Fortune Teller " at some point in your life .

Another sad loss .

Malc

correct malc, as its refered to in the music industry: a standard,,,,an absolute myriad of covers ensued but benny spellmans reading is the proverbial yardstick.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!