Has The Rare Scene Split?

The definition of what a rare soul night is is very broad, at the moment, with some nights choosing to focus on midtempo and X over as opposed to the more uptempo, upfront sounds, including latin and the funkier end of things. Do folks see there being a definate split in what's offered in the future or will rare nights need to grow to encompass all the sounds mentioned above. For me tolerance and diversity is the key, but I doubt some of the oldskool 'rare' crew will appreciate the BPM's and energy of say one of Carl H's sets, or Vise versa.

I'll take a big Gulp before posting this, and I'm sure I'll get some stick! but it needs saying! there's just something in the air.........

Social source share

• Replies 99
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's of little importance to me nowadays but I'd happily go somewhere that played 60's Northern, 50's and 60's R & B and Popcorn. I like midtempos and beat ballads but not sure if they are suitable for playing at venues, too slow. I would have to be paid a considerable amount of money to suffer a set of crossover rubbish.

Social source share

It's of little importance to me nowadays but I'd happily go somewhere that played 60's Northern, 50's and 60's R & B and Popcorn. I like midtempos and beat ballads but not sure if they are suitable for playing at venues, too slow. I would have to be paid a considerable amount of money to suffer a set of crossover rubbish.

Mid tempos and beat ballads ....cross over ..whats the difference :lol:

Pigeon holing records or sounds just causes confusion Pete .....ive heard some people say they like 60's crossover but not 70's crossover ??

Im just confused by it all......

i like most so called genres and would'nt rule out a night in any room as im constantly hearing things that i like ,be it in a RnB room or a so called funk room .

As far as a split goes .....the scene just evolves ..

There seems to be a lot of new venues opening up that have a good few young followers attending, which for me can only be healthy .

Musically ,a good balance will always win the day ..obviously a dance floor favours uptempo so it's really a no brainer .

Are we talking about local nights ...big room versus little room ...one room all nighters .....multi room allnighters ..weekenders ....o.v.o venues etc etc ..

Its a mine field when you think about it .....so choose your night and just enjoy it and take from it whatever you want :D

Social source share

kinnell Geese--sweeping question me 'owd biggrin.gif. ----know where ya coming from ---I THINK ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif. Some rare aint fast-- in fact quite sedate---So would this be ignored in favour of more mph at CERTAIN popular venues. . converesely is their a following of the wholly 'sedate' stuff on an evening out.

Shute---35 years---you're an ole bugger mate biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Mid tempos and beat ballads ....cross over ..whats the difference :lol:

Pigeon holing records or sounds just causes confusion Pete .....ive heard some people say they like 60's crossover but not 70's crossover ??

Im just confused by it all......

i like most so called genres and would'nt rule out a night in any room as im constantly hearing things that i like ,be it in a RnB room or a so called funk room .

As far as a split goes .....the scene just evolves ..

There seems to be a lot of new venues opening up that have a good few young followers attending, which for me can only be healthy .

Musically ,a good balance will always win the day ..obviously a dance floor favours uptempo so it's really a no brainer .

Are we talking about local nights ...big room versus little room ...one room all nighters .....multi room allnighters ..weekenders ....o.v.o venues etc etc ..

Its a mine field when you think about it .....so choose your night and just enjoy it and take from it whatever you want :D

Well done Nev. Now you have just driven a wedge straight into the heart of the Crossover scene :lol:

Myself personally, well I'm into Soulful Crossover House & uptempo Modern Beat Ballads as long as they are rare & played on the Northern scene.

Social source share

I think we are just growing older and becoming more accepting oin the variety of what we hear .

Do you recall when you used to be in a gang of sorts , be it skinhead , suedehead , greaser , rocker , mod bladdy bla , how you sort of disliked anyone that wasnt part of your gang.... for example I would never listen to something like Jethrow Tull when I was giving the Al Capone shuffle .... oh no no.

I bet mosts peoples soulful taste has changed over the years ..if they live breath and eat it.

I have grown up now and with each year I experiment and delve into loads of different things , same applies to soul .. I was ignorant 10 years ago , at that time I never let the slower pace in.... now I do ....and I love all of it.

So yes Soul is a Dynamic environment for me ..... it changes and takes twists in the road making it exciting and demanding of my time to keep up ! .....never dull

Social source share

At an advertised northern soul gig Uptempo sixties and seventies all the way with an ender ballad with some unknown/lesser played.Rare Soul gigs I expect mid tempo/crossover and a few uptempo things then there are the mod/boogaloo gigs latin/r&b etc.All on ovo of course.I don't go to a rare soul gig and expect northern all the way or a r&b gig and expect northern.....I'm sure this is old ground.

Social source share

I think mixing it up is the way forward , tihs is where rooms like Soul or Nothing in Manchester get it right ,changing the DJ's every half hour ensures nobody gets bored , and there is a good mixture of most styles of Black Music .The funky sounds are def making inroads on the scene ,I really like them ,but they aren't for everyone ,nor are sets of 100 mil and hour stompers , so variety is the key I feel .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

well to me couldnt give a shit what label,box, style you want to call it. if i like the song and it either makes me want to dance,tap my feet or just sit and enjoy it. its about my taste and not all tastes are the same so i like new sixies-crossover-modern-northern-funk type nights so if you can point me in the right direction please do... soul is in all shapes and sizes or as some smartarse once said to me "its in the grooves that counts"

Social source share

At an advertised northern soul gig Uptempo sixties and seventies all the way with an ender ballad with some unknown/lesser played.Rare Soul gigs I expect mid tempo/crossover and a few uptempo things then there are the mod/boogaloo gigs latin/r&b etc.All on ovo of course.I don't go to a rare soul gig and expect northern all the way or a r&b gig and expect northern.....I'm sure this is old ground.

A total misconception and I've never been able to understand why it's so widely thought to be the truth. I expect mid tempo/crossover sounds to be played at a night advertised as a 'crossover night'. I expect oldies at an oldies night, RnB at a RnB night. At a 'Rare Soul' night I expect to hear rarely played records/lesser knowns/unknowns/some forgotten oldies/overlooked cheapies and I expect them to be up tempo and danceable......I go to a lot of rare nights and spent over 2 years promoting one and if the majority of stuff played at them was mid tempo/crossover then I wouldn't bother stepping out the front door, I'd rather spend the night sat on the sofa with the wife nagging and complaining at me whilst watching total shite TV like 'Britain's Got Too Many Talentless Tw&ts' or similar 'reality' rubbish.

Social source share

You do come out with some rubbish at times with misinformed quotes like "rare soul I expect mid tempo/crossover" . Anyone new to the scene rewarding this will expect one thing somewhere and something totally different elsewhere depending on wether it is advertised Northern or Rare Soul.

Me I thought they were one and the same thing. What is the Mello Souls, it ain't mid tempo and it ain't crossover but it's fookin rare!!!

Social source share

At a 'Rare Soul' night I expect to hear rarely played records/lesser knowns/unknowns/some forgotten oldies/overlooked cheapies and I expect them to be up tempo and danceable................thats a description of a northern soul night.

No, it's a description of what a northern soul night should be but very, very rarely is.

Social source share

You do come out with some rubbish at times with misinformed quotes like "rare soul I expect mid tempo/crossover" . Anyone new to the scene rewarding this will expect one thing somewhere and something totally different elsewhere depending on wether it is advertised Northern or Rare Soul.

Me I thought they were one and the same thing. What is the Mello Souls, it ain't mid tempo and it ain't crossover but it's fookin rare!!!

So having an opinion is rubbish.The "rare" soul scene acceps midtempo/downtempo records.The backbone of the "northern scene" is based on motown derivative danceable uptempo soul.The Mello Souls is a great uptempo northern record.We have been here before.....dejavu.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

So having an opinion is rubbish.The "rare" soul scene acceps midtempo/downtempo records.The backbone of the "northern scene" is based on a motown derivative uptempo soul.The Mello Souls is a great uptempo northern record.

No having an opinion isn't rubbish but coming out with what you said is. The Mello Souls is a Rare Soul record, it came out of the rare Soul all-nighters as they were termed in the 80's. It is rare soul record........bloody hell it would cost you best part of £15k to get one of the few known copies, if that isn't rare then I give up.

Mid-tempo has always been around, Jimmy Radcliffe, Ray Pollard, could go on and on but what is the point.

Social source share

So having an opinion is rubbish.The "rare" soul scene acceps midtempo/downtempo records.The backbone of the "northern scene" is based on a motown derivative uptempo soul.The Mello Souls is a great uptempo northern record.

Where exactly is this midtempo/downtempo rare scene?? The rare scene I know and regularly attend is nothing like that, it's a driving, gritty uptempo blend of soul, funk and RnB.

It's great to have your own opinion and in my opinion you're talking total crap about nights/venues you've never bothered to attend, or to put it simply....you're an idiotic wind up merchant and total tw*t and posts like yours are one of the main reasons I spend less and less time on the forum, all of which is of course merely my opinion.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Where exactly is this midtempo/downtempo rare scene?? The rare scene I know and regularly attend is nothing like that, it's a driving, gritty uptempo blend of soul, funk and RnB.

It's great to have your own opinion and in my opinion you're talking total crap about nights/venues you've never bothered to attend, or to put it simply....you're an idiotic wind up merchant and total tw*t and posts like yours are one of the main reasons I spend less and less time on the forum, all of which is of course merely my opinion.

im with wiggy laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

No, it's a description of what a northern soul night should be but very, very rarely is.

well put, simple really!!!, most soul nites i attend play what it says on the tin...SOUL MUSIC...uptempo..midtempo..r&b..popcorn..gritty hard edged soul and crossover and modern, i hear it all at the greatstone in manchester, when i can get there, if a veue advertises RARE UNDERPLAYED SOUL.then thats what you should get ala lifeline .

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

for me a rare soul night is a bit of anything that aint played out to death or just damn bloody rare with only a few known copies, i like a mix up but prodomently uptempo, tempo means nothing to me when it comes to dancing and when your at an Oldies night and you hear Jimmy Bo Horne getting played the dance floor fills to the brim and that aint uptempo but its known but its also rare, if its good its good no matter what genre it falls under but a typical rare night/nighter for me has never been midtempo its always had ooomph with a good few well selected mid to uptempo numbers for good measure,

i see no split i just keep seeing the rare soul scene evolving with new sounds the rare soul djs keep digging out from somewhere, fresh and exciting and no i dont like it all either but who does like it all hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

It would help if the original poster gave concrete examples to illustrate what he meant by a split and which specific venues or djs he was referring to.

By 'The Rare Scene' is he talking about nighters? Soul nights? The North? The Midlands? Help us out.

Failing to define the terms of the debate has once again led to a load of needless bickering and arguing at crossed purposes and on to the inevitable I Hate Crossover / I Hate R&B / I Love Funk etc. etc. posts.

Social source share

Living in the south since 1987 I have had plenty of experience of "rare soul" nights and in my opinion they are a mix of mid tempo/popcorn r&b/uptempo sounds.I am not winding anybody up!!. I believe the rare soul and northern scenes are different.I'm not against rare soul.I like a lot of it but I don't like going to an advertised northern night and hearing mid tempo/r&b all night.We are treading the same old ground here.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

The only split i see here is the usual one.Misconceptions of genres and what's expected at niters/ soul nights/chill outs etc.

I've often been told that a "Rare" night/niter is "all that modern shit" by people who have never attended anything but oldies nights.

There lies the "split".

Social source share

If rare soul is beat ballads and mid temp then I'm clearly dancing off beat laugh.gif Lifeline and Bidds (and SON at Radcliffe) are really pushing listeners and dancers alike with an array of different genres and tempos but mainly upbeat.

Social source share

Rare Soul gigs I expect mid tempo/crossover and a few uptempo things

I have had plenty of experience of "rare soul" nights and in my opinion they are a mix of mid tempo/popcorn r&b/uptempo sounds

I'm confused....are, in your opinion, rare soul nights playing mid tempo/crossover or a mix of mid tempo/popcorn r&b uptempo sounds? Or do they play mid tempo crossover popcorn??

Social source share

I'm confused....are, in your opinion, rare soul nights playing mid tempo/crossover or a mix of mid tempo/popcorn r&b uptempo sounds? Or do they play mid tempo crossover popcorn??

....you're an idiotic wind up merchant and total tw*t and posts like yours are one of the main reasons I spend less and less time on the forum, all of which is of course merely my opinion.

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Great post.

The way I see it is that back in the early seventies the Northern Soul scene was the Rare Soul scene.

The scene ( Northern / Rare Soul ) was fuelled by DJs, dealers and collectors seeking out fresh obscure rare records and the clubs and venues built their success, kudos and reputation on the rarity and quality of the records that were played there.

Over the years the term Northern Soul began to be used by many, or seen by some, as a term for a more backward looking, nostalgia fuelled scene playing "oldies" much more than fresh sounds. Perhaps understandable due to a slow down in the rate of quality fresh obscure sounds that are being discovered.

Many within the Northern Soul scene, and many more than people might think, continue to enjoy fresh, forgotten or underplayed sounds hence the emergence of the term "Rare Soul" being used to distinguish clubs and venues from how the term Northern Soul has to some extent become to be perceived.

As for a definite split in what is being played at "Rare Soul" clubs,well I guess that depends on the DJs and promoters for individual events.

There will always be differences between clubs emphasis in play lists,always has been.

The problem arises when a term becomes used to describe any type of music some people have their own opinion of what that term means. Some even want to dictate what should or could, be played under the term.

Hopefully the term Rare Soul can be used to describe any record – fast or slow or funky whatever so long as it is Rare and Soulful – ish.

We could however carry on re-defining or splitting Soul music and people into separate terms for ever and ever.

Geese

You gave the answer to avoid any splits in your post

"For me tolerance and diversity is the key".

I agree but having a dancegroup might make the dance floor a little crowded J thumbsup.gif

Carms hit it right and I know many Soul fans / collectors of long standing who now appreciate records that they would have overlooked years ago. Long may that continue..... whatever term is used to describe it…

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

It would help if the original poster gave concrete examples to illustrate what he meant by a split and which specific venues or djs he was referring to.

By 'The Rare Scene' is he talking about nighters? Soul nights? The North? The Midlands? Help us out.

Failing to define the terms of the debate has once again led to a load of needless bickering and arguing at crossed purposes and on to the inevitable I Hate Crossover / I Hate R&B / I Love Funk etc. etc. posts.

I didnt want to be so specific, its just one mans opinion, and as always my appreciation and understanding by reading many of the opinions on the subject, has grown. There certainly a difference some of what I hear at rare soul nights compared to allnighters, and I suppose thats always existed for obvious reasons! Many rare soul fans no longer attended allnighters and have little taste for the more upfront sounds, possibly due to not hearing them in context.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Rare Soul gigs I expect mid tempo/crossover and a few uptempo things

I have had plenty of experience of "rare soul" nights and in my opinion they are a mix of mid tempo/popcorn r&b/uptempo sounds

....you're an idiotic wind up merchant and total tw*t and posts like yours are one of the main reasons I spend less and less time on the forum, all of which is of course merely my opinion.

You put forward as fact your opinion of what is played at rare soul nights and when questioned about whether you actually know what the hell you're talking about you defend yourself by contradicting your previous opinion....first they play crossover then they play popcorn, not exactly similar sounds are they? I'll stick to my original opinion.....that you're a pathetic idiot hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Amazing how many types of cheeses there are. I just like cheese.shades.gif

Me 2.thumbsup.gif

Perhaps I am crackers...lol

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

Great post.

The way I see it is that back in the early seventies the Northern Soul scene was the Rare Soul scene.

The scene ( Northern / Rare Soul ) was fuelled by DJs, dealers and collectors seeking out fresh obscure rare records and the clubs and venues built their success, kudos and reputation on the rarity and quality of the records that were played there.

Over the years the term Northern Soul began to be used by many, or seen by some, as a term for a more backward looking, nostalgia fuelled scene playing "oldies" much more than fresh sounds. Perhaps understandable due to a slow down in the rate of quality fresh obscure sounds that are being discovered.

Many within the Northern Soul scene, and many more than people might think, continue to enjoy fresh, forgotten or underplayed sounds hence the emergence of the term "Rare Soul" being used to distinguish clubs and venues from how the term Northern Soul has to some extent become to be perceived.

As for a definite split in what is being played at "Rare Soul" clubs,well I guess that depends on the DJs and promoters for individual events.

There will always be differences between clubs emphasis in play lists,always has been.

The problem arises when a term becomes used to describe any type of music some people have their own opinion of what that term means. Some even want to dictate what should or could, be played under the term.

Hopefully the term Rare Soul can be used to describe any record - fast or slow or funky whatever so long as it is Rare and Soulful - ish.

We could however carry on re-defining or splitting Soul music and people into separate terms for ever and ever.

Geese

You gave the answer to avoid any splits in your post

"For me tolerance and diversity is the key".

I agree but having a dancegroup might make the dance floor a little crowded J thumbsup.gif

Carms hit it right and I know many Soul fans / collectors of long standing who now appreciate records that they would have overlooked years ago. Long may that continue..... whatever term is used to describe it...

post-11139-0-57206300-1307484795_thumb.g

Social source share

post-11139-0-57206300-1307484795_thumb.g

Here, here and that was the fundimental reason if I'm honest why I basically packed in the DJ thing because sometimes no matter how hard you try, how much money you part with for records, how much passion, dedication and love you have for the craft of DJ'ing because that's what it is a craft someone somewhere alway's has an opinion or can do it bigger and better than you, kudos and reputation based on how rare and how much your records are worth is and alway's will be total bollocks and very shallow in my opinion and for that very reason it basically killed it for me a few years ago, it became very much a case of going through the motions resulting in pretty much playing the same type of set which in the end bored the shit out of me was unfair on the scene and myself, this is the first time I've actually come clean regarding all this as it's made me feel a little bitter towards a scene that gave me so much pretty much all my adult life.

Depsite all this, despite moving on many of my so called big trophy records this soul thing is still there inside me and will alway's be the case I've just got it into perspective and if Tony Clarke - Landslide, Ike And Tina Turner - Dust My Broom etc. still does it for me, still floats my boat then who has the right to dispute that fact, same goes for what other people get off on I have no place to force my opinion or taste on anyone.

Northern Soul as a scene for me has become a little like watching something on television if you don't like what you are watching either turn it over or turn it off, if you like watching repeats and still find them enjoyable then what's the problem?

I'm happy to dip my toe now and again, do the odd guest spot but even then I heard through the grapevine that one or two critics out there thought I should not have guested at Heywood recently because I've got rid of all my records and should leave it to someone who has them, I was asked to do this as a favour and certainly held my own with what was being played by the other DJ's on the night so don't judge me on a one off spot, you don't know me and you certainly don't know what records I may or may not still have or own, again far too much opinion which has no substance and totally not the case but to be honest it's so typical of this scene and water off a ducks back as I could'nt really care less. Bobby Kline, Majestics, Cashmeres, Troy Dodds etc. yes were off the menu but the nature of that gig even if they were still in the box I would have pretty much played the chosen set of records anyway.

Is there a split on the scene I would say yes, is there too many events on yes, is there too many DJ's out there yes, has the scene been milked dry in certain areas yes, is the younger crowd moving it forward no it's two totally seperate scenes and good luck to them.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Here, here and that was the fundimental reason if I'm honest why I basically packed in the DJ thing because sometimes no matter how hard you try, how much money you part with for records, how much passion, dedication and love you have for the craft of DJ'ing because that's what it is a craft someone somewhere alway's has an opinion or can do it bigger and better than you, kudos and reputation based on how rare and how much your records are worth is and alway's will be total bollocks and very shallow in my opinion and for that very reason it basically killed it for me a few years ago, it became very much a case of going through the motions resulting in pretty much playing the same type of set which in the end bored the shit out of me was unfair on the scene and myself, this is the first time I've actually come clean regarding all this as it's made me feel a little bitter towards a scene that gave me so much pretty much all my adult life.

Depsite all this, despite moving on many of my so called big trophy records this soul thing is still there inside me and will alway's be the case I've just got it into perspective and if Tony Clarke - Landslide, Ike And Tina Turner - Dust My Broom etc. still does it for me, still floats my boat then who has the right to dispute that fact, same goes for what other people get off on I have no place to force my opinion or taste on anyone.

Northern Soul as a scene for me has become a little like watching something on television if you don't like what you are watching either turn it over or turn it off, if you like watching repeats and still find them enjoyable then what's the problem?

I'm happy to dip my toe now and again, do the odd guest spot but even then I heard through the grapevine that one or two critics out there thought I should not have guested at Heywood recently because I've got rid of all my records and should leave it to someone who has them, I was asked to do this as a favour and certainly held my own with what was being played by the other DJ's on the night so don't judge me on a one off spot, you don't know me and you certainly don't know what records I may or may not still have or own, again far too much opinion which has no substance and totally not the case but to be honest it's so typical of this scene and water off a ducks back as I could'nt really care less. Bobby Kline, Majestics, Cashmeres, Troy Dodds etc. yes were off the menu but the nature of that gig even if they were still in the box I would have pretty much played the chosen set of records anyway.

Is there a split on the scene I would say yes, is there too many events on yes, is there too many DJ's out there yes, has the scene been milked dry in certain areas yes, is the younger crowd moving it forward no it's two totally seperate scenes and good luck to them.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Sorry just read this back and basically my comments have little or nothing to do with the original thread starters question about scene split so sorry to ramble on like a twat but as with many threads on here things develop and people pick up on points which is what I've done here, guess my comments and points are more to do with attitude than anything else.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Sounds like you needed to get that off your chest Mark , I would say don't take one comment so much to heart, it really is JUST one opinion , it could be accompanied with 20 opinions that thought WOW ! you won't know cause they didn't think it was worth mentoning to you wink.gif

I heard another Dj mention the same type of issues the other week when he was playing in a freestyle room and got told he was rubbish for not playing northern. He had broad shoulders and a hard skin lol and just brushed it away.

I think if you want to be individual you have to be really thick skinned on the scene because there are many opinionated people out there that will not hold back in giving their view.

I think you do need to choose your venue with care if you want to champion something different and hopefully those that promote this type of event also keep on and broaden their Dj selection . I love to see an unknown quantity wink.gif

But in answer the Geeses question , no it hasn't spilt ...its Grown with a larger library , now whether all the books within the library suit you/all .... thats a matter of taste :D

Social source share

i think we all take this a bit too serious sometimes,maybe because we love it so much we cant wait till the weekend comes so were on the web chatting shit...is the scene split ? not in my opinion i go to all types of night rare soul,oldie and even those that play latin,mod or ska alongside soul SHOCK HORROR!....i dont just do one type of night or the other(although imsure there are those that do),it depends on whose playing...even without the internet most of us know what kind of styles different djs play...and if they dont play what makes you dance chill out! the next dj might... even back in the nostalgic hayday there were venues/djs that were known for being different with people prefering one to another its nothin newdean

Social source share

What i'm saying is that they are two different sorts of nights.Rare Soul nights tend to be a mixture of different styles and tempos and northern nights are mostly uptempo.Some venues advertise as Northern Soul and some rare soul and northern soul.If I went to a venue that was advertised as rare soul and northern soul I wouldn't expect to hear uptempo all night.You should read an article a music journalist called Dave Godin wrote which defined northern soul to differentiate the more uptempo soul sort of sounds that "northerners" were buying and the funkier soul sounds that the south east were into.I thought that this was day one stuff!! There were loads of clubs as well, The Pendulum,late Twisted Wheel,Catacoombs,Wigan Casino,Va Vas,Blackpool Mecca Leeds Central,(have a look at old blues and souls and see the difference in the music played in the north to what was being played in the south).These were all in the north.The south preferred slower tempo soul and funk but there were a few places like The Wheatsheaf etc that played the stuff.Londoners and the south had to travel up north to get a fix of this faster "northern soul" music.You need to read a few books.Northern Soul and Rare Soul scenes are different.I like rare soul by the way but it needs pointing out that it is different from northern.This is hard work

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

What i'm saying is that they are two different sorts of nights.Rare Soul nights tend to be a mixture of different styles and tempos and northern nights are mostly uptempo.Some venues advertise as Northern Soul and some rare soul and northern soul.If I went to a venue that was advertised as rare soul and northern soul I wouldn't expect to hear uptempo all night.You should read an article a music journalist called Dave Godin wrote which defined northern soul to differentiate the more uptempo soul sort of sounds that "northerners" were buying and the funkier soul sounds that the south east were into.I thought that this was day one stuff!! There were loads of clubs as well, The Pendulum,late Twisted Wheel,Catacoombs,Wigan Casino,Va Vas,Blackpool Mecca Leeds Central,(have a look at old blues and souls and see the difference in the music played in the north to what was being played in the south).These were all in the north.The south preferred slower tempo soul and funk but there were a few places like The Wheatsheaf etc that played the stuff.Londoners and the south had to travel up north to get a fix of this faster "northern soul" music.You need to read a few books.Northern Soul and Rare Soul are different.

Dave who?

Social source share

Guest The Truth Hurts

Too many rules Tunes and pleanty of them for me Good heads will find the quality sometimes its well worth the wait in a patchy set .You may have a differant experience to draw on that drives your taste and appreciation ,i dont want to hear Wigan tunes all night because i had them at wigan and as a 16 year old . Variety by the way Funk is the future :D

Our scene was as much about people as music . No image just people

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!