John Manship Auction

Jim G

From JM Auction - what is the record going to be!!!

On Thursday this space will be taken by a NORTHERN SOUL 7" LEGEND! It seems I've been waiting ALL my life to even see a copy, it's now in my hands and I'm almost suffering from premature…. death. Thrilled wasn't the word when a little old couple flew to England came into my office and politely asked if we would you like to auction this 45 for them. Good job those statins work, I was instantly thinking "do they do Tena pants for men? This was a proper NS "Tutankhamen" moment for me, hopefully it will be for you too.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• Replies 216
  • Views 34.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On Thursday this space will be taken by a NORTHERN SOUL 7" LEGEND! It seems I've been waiting ALL my life to even see a copy, it's now in my hands and I'm almost suffering from premature.... death. Thrilled wasn't the word when a little old couple flew to England came into my office and politely asked if we would you like to auction this 45 for them. Good job those statins work, I was instantly thinking "do they do Tena pants for men? This was a proper NS "Tutankhamen" moment for me, hopefully it will be for you too.

Dunno - Junior McCants?

Social source share

On Thursday this space will be taken by a NORTHERN SOUL 7" LEGEND! It seems I've been waiting ALL my life to even see a copy, it's now in my hands and I'm almost suffering from premature.... death. Thrilled wasn't the word when a little old couple flew to England came into my office and politely asked if we would you like to auction this 45 for them. Good job those statins work, I was instantly thinking "do they do Tena pants for men? This was a proper NS "Tutankhamen" moment for me, hopefully it will be for you too.

There's just not enough information here. We need to know where they flew in from as that will affect the money in their pocket. If they live in Corfu, you can get good prices with ScramJet and so would make sense even for a £5k record. But if the old couple came from California; well, thats quite a few thousand pounds to knock off...Some god-given-gift of a hunce tells me its America, another hunce that they are really here on holiday and thought they'd pop in to save Mr Gordy going to the post office - and they planed to go to Melton on their trip anyway to pick up some of those rather nice pork pies with Stilton on top from the world famous pork pie shoppe.

I think we're now getting closer.

Social source share

it has to be something that has since before, thought to be unreleased...

good call. was thinking somethings similar although it could also be sth that was LP-only so far or a another case of a Frankie Beverly ROUSER /Fairmount situation. Or a one-off acetate where someone found a real 45 (Esther Grant ? :thumbsup::yes: )

Also would include Junior McCants as a possibility knowing that there is one other copy still around which hasnt yet surfaced as far as I know....I mean, not really many possibilities left since he auctioned the Frank Williams, Antellects, Andantes, Del-Larks, Inticers, Eddie Parker, Gogate 45s, the Shrine cataloge. etc etc ...at a guess JM must have seen or even autcioned almost every other rare Northern Soul record in the past ?

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

On re-reading the first sentence it MUST be a record that was thought or rumoured to exist on 7inch but so far no one (well at least not JM) had ever seen a copy of. So come on you Rare Soul Sherlock Holmes of this world...get your heads working!

..or sit back relax and wait till thursday :thumbsup:

Social source share

First record I thought about was the Mello Souls. Most valuable record I can think of, considering Frank Wilson has already been there thumbsup.gif

Little John was another idea, didn't know he already auctioned one!

Edited by Tommaso
Social source share

First record I thought about was the Mello Souls. Most valuable record I can think of, considering Frank Wilson has already been there thumbsup.gif

Little John was another idea, didn't know he already auctioned one!

would have thought he would have had seen a copy at least..of both titles. Little John and Mello Souls ?

Social source share

good call. was thinking somethings similar although it could also be sth that was LP-only so far or a another case of a Frankie Beverly ROUSER /Fairmount situation. Or a one-off acetate where someone found a real 45 (Esther Grant ? :thumbsup::yes: )

Also would include Junior McCants as a possibility knowing that there is one other copy still around which hasnt yet surfaced as far as I know....I mean, not really many possibilities left since he auctioned the Frank Williams, Antellects, Andantes, Del-Larks, Inticers, Eddie Parker, Gogate 45s, the Shrine cataloge. etc etc ...at a guess JM must have seen or even autcioned almost every other rare Northern Soul record in the past ?

Here's one for the pot that was suggested to me by a mate ..The inspirations on breakthrough :yes:

Social source share

would have thought he would have had seen a copy at least..of both titles. Little John and Mello Souls ?

I haven't been around enough to know, only started checking his auctions regularly 4 years ago.. thumbsup.gif

So that's it, it must be something totally new as a 45! Very curious.. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

i can't imagine a "Tutankhamen" moment for any of us with Jr McCants after in went on ebay the other year - and you're right he has handled most - but this he has not even 'seen' a copy. so would suggest no one over here 'known' has one. but it must be released - so unfortunatley Jean Carter goes out the window

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI RANKING JOHNNY BOY, FIRST, WHY TOOT AND COME IN, KNOCK ON THE DOOR,? i RECKON IT'S A PAMA ISSUE OF THE VOLUMES OR SOMETHING THAT SO RARE IT'S COME OUT ON WAND LIKE THE IVORY'S AND THE HUMPHREY STOMP DID,? BUT IT COULD BE THE NIGHT Inst OR Diane brooks IN MY HEART , BACKING WITH JUST THE BACKING GIRLS ON?? MICK HAS THAT, ROCKY ROBERTS UK ISSUE, YOU BEEN CHEATING Inst, MY MONEY IS ANOTHER FRANK WILSON???:thumbsup: DAVE K
Social source share

i don't think an issue/demo on the same label would be that exciting

it must be - thought unreleased/missing label number/different label

after all this hype we've built up it better be worth it!!

Totally agree... must be more special than a rare issue or demo of already known tunes, he lists things like that almost every week!

Social source share

This must be some record to get John going, he's had them all in his time..

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

oldcouple.jpg

Fook me Bert, it's a Don Varner on Veep.

Even that Manskip bloke ain't seen one o'these, get on the phone to him quick and book a couple o'flights while yer at it.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

we could all chip in and buy it. then cut it up so we each have a piece...and at the same time making it rarer :-)

I did something similar to that many years ago when I was young and stuipid :thumbsup: Now I'm just stupid :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks guys this is really fun, thanks for the interest.

Spanner just woke me from my Chardonny stuper, to ask what the hell it is - well the guesses so far are really great - The Frank Beverley on Rouser was a spooky one because we have one that was going to be next week's headliner - but for me personally, and many other old schools NS pensioners this Thursday unvailing will mean so much more... so preceeds Frankie for a week or two

It's not exclusive but 99% of NS collectors will not ever have seen it - there's is another copy - but this record has stood the test of time with 4 decades of myth building surrounding it's existence, The record itself is sublime Northern Soul, the clothes it's wearing is just pulsatingly fabulous... I'm a vinyl idiot and get excited by labels, sounds and condition... I've never had this record, ever and I don't mind admitting I've always dreamed of seeing, holding and being able to present it. Owning it would be unfair... as there are out there, vinyl-heads even more consumed by real rarity than me.

quick clue - If you were a sheep your boss would stop you bidding on it - if your a "Brit" and had to rely on it - you'd be let down.

Now that is just tooooo easy..

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Now that John has replied, will one our experts on here know it.............?

Thanks guys this is really fun, thanks for the interest.

Spanner just woke me from my Chardonny stuper, to ask what the hell it is - well the guesses so far are really great - The Frank Beverley on Rouser was a spooky one because we have one that was going to be next week's headliner - but for me personally, and many other old schools NS pensioners this Thursday unvailing will mean so much more... so preceeds Frankie for a week or two

It's not exclusive but 99% of NS collectors will not ever have seen it - there's is another copy - but this record has stood the test of time with 4 decades of myth building surrounding it's existence, The record itself is sublime Northern Soul, the clothes it's wearing is just pulsatingly fabulous... I'm a vinyl idiot and get excited by labels, sounds and condition... I've never had this record, ever and I don't mind admitting I've always dreamed of seeing, holding and being able to present it. Owning it would be unfair... as there are out there, vinyl-heads even more consumed by real rarity than me.

quick clue - If you were a sheep your boss would stop you bidding on it - if your a "Brit" and had to rely on it - you'd be let down.

Now that is just tooooo easy..

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!