John Manship Auction

Jim G

• Replies 216
  • Views 34.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

You say Nolan Chance different to Frank Wilson cause FW got released, well so did the Nolan Chance (as you will know), and as said they used the same plates for the Constellation and Bunky press. I agree it's different class though.

You say it's worth £4k upwards, it isn't it's worth just under £2700. And given John's record of achieving higher prices via his auction one wonders if it would have even made that anywhere else?

Hi All .....Chalky

I did a posting yesterday to this, but it did not post?? the fact is I have to agree with your statements as fact, this sale must be the most disapionting one for a long time, every thing about the disc is right, or was right, and the price it raised, shows how the scene, (collectors) has changed, the BUNKY copy was one of the big mystries of the old NORTHERN SOUL scene, along with CHUBBY CHECKER'S "YOU JUST DON'T KNOW" I remember that it was stated by most that it did not exist on a US imprint, and it was recorded in London?? but we all no now it does exist on a Wesst coast label, and is a rare exampl of a rare UK record being more valuble on a US COPY, (THERE ARE NOT MANY) I suppose that the price differance of the UK copy against US copy was the guide we should have used in the case of the BUNKY copy?

Hoever the BUNKY copy is in a differant league the Mr Checker, If it had been mine I for a start would not have sold it, but traded it against other rare stuff with a collector who was looking at the record as a rare example, not as an investment, as it has proberly depreciated already as it was stated"if JM cant get the top price who can, it is also worth considering that the £4K i valued it at, and I was being conservitive or so I thought, makes me wonder what are the expectations of records that have been discoverd from the 80s and onwards worth?? thos collectors who have paid £2K for a record have to be asking what is the Bench mark, it I was to cash in? in cant be the rule of thumb that it;s just 1 of 5 known, anymore, Have we returned to the old days when the top records ended up as white elephants?? Again I find myself saying aint I glad that I collect UK soul, as the vast majority is class and realy inexpensive against the rare US Origanals?

To conclued when I got my copy from JA Soul Bowl, I was still under the inpresion that the shooting star label was it's rarest form, thats what happens when you buy a record for £1.75 and years later the £200 I gave Lil Dave Weldon for the DEMO copy I still have still makes the BUNKY COPY $2500 dearer. thats quite a mark up seeing that the only differance is the Name?? what Price is the Constalation DEMO woth today has it gone up on the back of the BUNKY find?.. and the Frank Wilson Bit Chalky I got so wrong! But there you go! Mr Dave Kilworth.

Social source share

Maybe some thought this was going to be the next FW in terms of value, I didn't expect it to go anywhere near that, I did think it would have made £4k though.

Think the thing with FW is on Soul it is the original and only way to get it on US. The UK release was done purely to satisfy demand on the back of the plays the US original got at Wigan.

JLTW had already had a US release and as said this one on Bunky, done from the same plates just a different label looks to have been done for the Non US market?

regardless someone is happy bunny right now, I would be with it in my collection.

And where is Sue with his interesting story?

Social source share

:lol: ,didn't you start that red herring Dave?

Errr; Yes :lol:

I just want people going on holiday to google "corfu rare soul" find the beginning of this threrad and spend half their holiday driving around Corfu looking for the Bunky 45 :lol:

i just googled it and we're already on second page - top spot being taken by John Manship, of course, trying to sell the famous 45 Dick Hyman & His Electrics - 'Topless Dancers of Corfu'. Which I am sure there must be a law against.

Social source share

Great, I love this story and how the truth is being unravelled by those who actually took part. I know it was 40 years ago but can you remember where Mr Burton obtained his copy from. I'm planing to write a short story on it. Any help on the history of this 45 would be most gratefully received. Anyone got a 10 by 8 pic of Nolan or any pics of BUNKY himself?

Thanks for the input Ady ~ appreciated.

John

John

Just come across a tiny photo of Nolan Chance in liner notes of Collectables CD ''Constellation of Chicago Soul'', it is listed as courtesy of Robert Pruter. Also there is a photo of Bunky in the Carl Davis book''The Man Behind the Music''

Maybe everyone knows that Bunky is(or was?) white but I'd always assumed he was black. However according to Carl Davis, Bunky ''swore up and down that he was black'' and ''talked and acted just like he was a brother''

Carl mentions Nolan Chance having a regional hit with ''She's Gone'' but '' would never again record anything else that would remotely resemble a hit''.

I totally agree with your opinion of Just Like The Weather. It is and always will be one of the greatest records ever and stands head and shoulders above 99% of other records played in clubs since the year dot.

Rick

Social source share

According to discogs Billy was in By All Means after School Boyz & Stan was in Triple S Connection before School Boyz. They don't look very white in pics (which is nothing for nothing). I also had no idea Bunky Sheppard was white. Learn something every day :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!