American Pickers On The History Channel

Guest jerrio

Guest jerrio

Hiya I came accross thes programe while skipping channels late at night and was hooked. https://antiquearchaeology.com/ Thesr guys travel the States in a van looking for Junk in barnes and yards.They come accross some wonderful charactors on their travels.Some of these people have been collecting/ picking/hording most of their lives.I really enjoyed reading the threads on here about crate digging for records in the states and thought there must be simalarities with the collectors/ pickers / horders these guys come accross. For example they might pull out an old rusty lamp and turn to the owner to say would you sell this? only to be told no,I thought id hang on to that. I love watching this kind of thing and cant help but hope they come accross some old collector who has a barn full of vinal.They must be out there.Wrighty.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Watch it regularly whenever I'm in the States. There is actually a quick shot in the promo preview where you see the little bald guy looking through some singles. Another good programme is 'Storage Wars' where people bid on the contents of lock ups that go to auction if people are more than three months behind with the rent. The bidders are only allowed five minutes to look, cannot touch or go inside and literally speculate as to what might be inside. Some of the things they find, which people either don't care or have forgotten about is amazing .No obscure soul record collections discovered ... yet!

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Yes ive seen that show advertised but yet to catch it,as you say no records found yet.A few years ago I worked at the local Domestic tip and pulled around 600 drum and base 12 inchers paid the boss £20 for them made a phone call and sold them on for £60. The days before Ebay lol

Social source share

Think there is a new series of American pickers starting next monday.

The last series was well worth watching.

Also worth a look are the shows 'Pawn Stars' and 'Hardcore Pawn', both about US pawn shops that are doing thriving business in the current economy.

Some of the stuff that gets brought in the shops is bizzarre!

Social source share

the people on american pickers and storage wars always think the shitty records they find are worth a million dollars. on storage wars they just print out the "value" decided on by the buyers, like if they find 100 garbage thrift store LPs and are like "these are $2 each!" they will print $200 on the screen, like they really made their money back. Yesterday I saw an episode of storage wars where this dude brought his LPs that he paid $650 to get to Record Surplus in California to value, and they told him they weren't worth anything, it was pretty funny.

i know actual thrift guys who have been buying storage lockers for years (and good records do occasionally come out of those places). One guy told me that the shows totally ruined storage locker buying and the auctions are now filled with idiots who saw those shows and think they can get rich.

Social source share

Sam Taylor in Chicago buys the contents of these lockers - which is where the three copies of Lee McKinney and the Magnetics came from - apparently the were found wrapped up in a sweatshirt inside a chests of drawers.

he's one of many thrift people in chicago that buy storage lockers. he also got that maurci stock from a locker. most of the people compete over furniture, as that's the best way to make your money back.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Was buying an old tobacco tin at a flea market in Munich, the guy says "oh, that's worth something...there's this show, American Pickers...". Yeesh.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert