Willie Hutch (Artist Of The Week)

But if you're looking for Mellow, this should do the business.

The Hutch had it all!

Some great contributions from Bri and Sean, I love em all, and like Sean says, the guy had the lot, but this is the Daddy for me, one of those solitary listening only records IMHO, i posted another track from the "Ode To My Lady" set in refro but won,t load up, its another beauty in the same vein "Since I Found You", if anyone has the technical ability, please post it up, see y,all at Just Soul on the 2nd :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 21/06/2011 at 15:06, Anoraks Corner said:

Quite simply one of the best value for money, uptempo, storming, stomping, agro-Soul, in yer face thumpers there is!

No smiling allowed when you dance to this one!

:thumbsup:

post-9555-0-63302400-1308665197_thumb.jp

Artist of the Week the music of Willie Hutch.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Willie Hutch I bought the Mack sound track blind in the 70's which was closely followed by Fully Exposed and i was blown away by both,there are so many wonderful tracks that it is hard to single one out,his motown catalogue is terrific on its own but here is a favourite done for Norman Whitfields label on a hard to find uk 7"

Social source share

• 7 months later...

and a lesser known (and expensive) one he arranged and produced and written by his brother (Richard) from 1977 ... not seen anything else from this group so guessing it's their only release .. unless of course anyone can shed more light?

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Smudger said:

Another done for Norman Whitfield and hard to find on 7"

... You're right as it's on flip to 'Everybody Needs Money' issues only ... most available seem to be same-sided promos without this side.  It's the best track on the disappointing 'Midnight Dancer' album from 79 consisting of mainly 'disco' tracks ... he moved back to Motown after this LP and didn't release another album until 85 but in the interim had his first UK hit (#51) (of only 2) with 'In And Out' 45/12'' only (12'' had Brothers Gonna Work It Out' on flip whilst 45 had The Girl (Can't Help It)). His only other UK charting single (#73) was Keep On Jammin' in 1985.  Unfortunately his career seemed to fade after this releasing 2 albums in 90s and one in 2002 none of which (for me) came anywhere near the quality of his 70s output.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

... You're right as it's on flip to 'Everybody Needs Money' issues only ... most available seem to be same-sided promos without this side.  It's the best track on the disappointing 'Midnight Dancer' album from 79 consisting of mainly 'disco' tracks ... he moved back to Motown after this LP and didn't release another album until 85 but in the interim had his first UK hit (#51) (of only 2) with 'In And Out' 45/12'' only (12'' had Brothers Gonna Work It Out' on flip whilst 45 had The Girl (Can't Help It)). His only other UK charting single (#73) was Keep On Jammin' in 1985.  Unfortunately his career seemed to fade after this releasing 2 albums in 90s and one in 2002 none of which (for me) came anywhere near the quality of his 70s output.

I've never heard this.  Thanks for posting.  I 100% agree with you that after the 70's his output was not same.  For me I guess it's the more modern sound of the music from 80 on, as it just not even come close to what we heard from him for the most part.

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

His finest moment imo, and that's saying summat

Kev

.... yeah hard to choose from his Motown 70s albums ... but my top 3 (with top tracks):

1975 - Ode To My Lady: Since I Found You Everything's Alright / The Way We Were / Talk To Me  / Just Another Day

1977 - Havin' A House Party: After Love Is Gone / I Never Had It So Good / Soul Strut / Train Of Love / What You Gonna Do After The Party

1978 - In Tune: Paradise / Anything Is Possible If You Believe In Love / Easy Does It

... but of course many other tracks from his other albums  ... perhaps Motown neglected to promote his material owing to his writing/production duties? ...as for me he is up there with Gaye/Mayfield/Hutson/Hathaway ... but he doesn't seem to get as much recognition as his work deserves!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Here's one possibly(?) not that well known that he wrote for Marvin Gaye for his unreleased 1972 LP I'm Your Man (released posthumously in 2019)

'I'm Gonna Give You Respect' - Willie also recorded it and it was released on Expansion compilation (only?) 'Try It You'll Like It' in 2003.  It also features on G.C. Cameron's debut solo LP Love, Songs & Other Tragedies (with  a few other Hutch penned songs) in 1974 (with Marvin & Willie on backing vocals)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

.. and from The Mack LP 1973 the 'anthemic' I Choose You ... timeless pure quality.  Covered by Chicago Gangsters on Red Coach/Gold Plate (also an epic 9:20 version on Blind Over You LP on Gold Plate) which I was going to post but for me Willie's version is the definitive version that cannot be touched!

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!