Advertising European Events

I notice that a new thread has been started today for the One Room Paradise Weekender. It's next weekend !

I want to get over to more European events this year,(and I know others who do as well) but need much more notice than this. I need to book time off work, get a cheap flight (which is always easier the earlier you book it), and book accommodation. Giving four days notice of a weekender just makes it impossible to do the first two.

So, a request to all the promoters on the continent:

Advertise your events as far as possible in advance and you'll get a much better response from UK Punters

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Dave

Will put a message out to freinds who run events in Spain, Italy, Germany, Sweden etc etc, a euro whats on as been long overdue, it would be of great interest to many folk, the chance of a holiday and some soul at the same time.. Will get back to you asap..

One room paradise is a good freind of mine, i will speak to him later...

cheers

Social source share

Tommy... Norway

Tolbert, Hamburg, Germany

Michael Wink, One room paradise, Germany

Sam Goldie, Sydney soul, Austaralia national weekenders

Pete Fowler, Perth soul club, Australia nationals

Carlo/ Leo and the get smart club, Rome Italy

Marco, venice all niters Italy

Dani Valencia soul nightts, Spain

Edu, Movin on club, Barcelona Spain

jORG, Austria soul nights,

Fabio Conti, Apulia northern soul lovers, Italy

Heikki , Helsinki, Finland soul club

Marc Forrest, Berlin soul club, Germany

Queensland soul club, Australia

Pete, Jos, Amsterdam soul club, Holland

Punky, soulastatic, Gothenborg, sweden

Magnus Rams, Robert, Stockholme soul, Sweden

Bill Kealy... Ireland

Danny Duggan, Ireland

Just a few for starters..

All members on here or have freinds on here, get in touch with Mr Rimmer and let us have the info... Plenty folk looking for holidays and soul at the same time..

Social source share

Hi Dave

Will put a message out to freinds who run events in Spain, Italy, Germany, Sweden etc etc, a euro whats on as been long overdue, it would be of great interest to many folk, the chance of a holiday and some soul at the same time.. Will get back to you asap..

One room paradise is a good freind of mine, i will speak to him later...

cheers

Steve,

We tried a Euro niter planner, I started it off by trawling the events and putting those dates in, six weeks later, not oone promoter had contacted me to ask for their dates to be added, so I gave it up as a bad job that wasn't worth wasting time on

Social source share

Some Euro events simply don't want the wider UK soulies at their events. Others I presume they are well attended anyway so they feel no need to advertise over here. Those that are popular haunts of the Brits are well known about anyway.

I never knew you were the resident expert on European promoters Chalky. Thanks for that :)

Social source share

I never knew you were the resident expert on European promoters Chalky. Thanks for that :)

I'm not Dave so no need to be smart, you will notice I used the word presume. The ones like Rimini, Bamburg and few others are well populated and known about by Brits.

Social source share

The ones like Rimini, Bamburg and few others are well populated and known about by Brits.

And that's why I'm trying to get the others to advertise earlier ! I've attended over twenty weekenders on the continent, and enjoyed every one, so I'm looking to go to other places, and not necessarily ones well populated by Brits, but if they don't advertise early enough I can't get the time off work and book cheap flights.

Social source share

Some Euro events simply don't want the wider UK soulies at their events. Others I presume they are well attended anyway so they feel no need to advertise over here.

I know for a fact that both points are quite valid, especially the first one.

Social source share

both quite valid where :thumbsup: at what event Benji.. Are you speaking for yourself only..

Many of the events i listed above would welcome more folk from the uk...

On my travels i know many euro promoters who love to get uk soulies along, they use other social network sites/ websites but not soul source, many think its all about uk based events and promotions.. I hope more start to list events, always looking for travel options and soul nights..

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I never knew you were the resident expert on European promoters Chalky. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

...Chalky's an expert on everything, Dave. Surprised you hadn't noticed before!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Please explain a little more Benji, and give examples as well because I wouldn't want to plan a trip to an event I'm not welcome at, and this thread is really about me getting across into Europe more often.

Social source share

That's rubbish. :thumbsup:

Unless you are specifically referring for any event that you personally organize. In which case please, please post details asp so I can avoid any embarrassment on both our parts by turning up 'unwanted'. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Sorry for not replying earlier. I read your posts but didn't have the time for a proper reply.

I'm not into name and shame of anybody so I won't mention any names. Especially as the promoters concerned are all Soul Source members even if they rarely post or have never posted anything. Also I'm not a promoter so please don' t think it's my own opinion.

The promoters I'm talking about do welcome soulies from all over the world. Yet they fear that if a larger contingent of UK soulies attend they may "take over" the place and the venue turns into a "typical english allnighter" type of thing. Harsh words I know but don't know how to describe it better.

Example rom my own experience: In the early years the Rimini soul weekender was a true "italian job". Majority of punters were from Italy and everybody else from all over Europe fitted in just perfect. Playlists very much reflected what was played in Italy at the time and the few foreign DJs added their own flavour. Over the years more and more UK soulies attended, at one time it looked like half of the punters were from the UK. This not just influenced the playlists as the DJs more and more catered for the english soulies. Also things like the afternoon sessions turned into "brits on the piss" affairs with lots of shouting and singing footy songs. Not that I genereally mind that, I'm a football fan myself. But it was far away from what started like everybody chilling, chatting and enjoying soul music on a hot and sunny afternoon.

So to sum it up: I don't know of anybody that wouldn't welcome UK soulies. Yet I know of some that wouldn't advertise their promotions on a wider scale to avoid "brit invasions".

Feel free to comment!

(Phew, this is my longest post for quite some time now! My fingers are bleeding)

Social source share

???

Over the years we had a lot of guests from the U.K. (and from all over Europe as well) at our Hamburg Weekenders.

I`ve never been to Rimini myself so I can`t talk about the event and the `take over` by the `english football lads on the piss`.

All our U.K. guests mixed in with the locals perfectly...but maybe we like this kind of behaviour up north :thumbsup:.

You`re more then welcome to Hamburg in october!

Jan and Ralf...

...PROMOTING THE U.K. GUESTS FRIENDLY WEEKENDER ON THE CONTINENT! Ha!

Edited by Ralf Mehnert
Social source share

Sorry for not replying earlier. I read your posts but didn't have the time for a proper reply.

I'm not into name and shame of anybody so I won't mention any names. Especially as the promoters concerned are all Soul Source members even if they rarely post or have never posted anything. Also I'm not a promoter so please don' t think it's my own opinion.

The promoters I'm talking about do welcome soulies from all over the world. Yet they fear that if a larger contingent of UK soulies attend they may "take over" the place and the venue turns into a "typical english allnighter" type of thing. Harsh words I know but don't know how to describe it better.

Example rom my own experience: In the early years the Rimini soul weekender was a true "italian job". Majority of punters were from Italy and everybody else from all over Europe fitted in just perfect. Playlists very much reflected what was played in Italy at the time and the few foreign DJs added their own flavour. Over the years more and more UK soulies attended, at one time it looked like half of the punters were from the UK. This not just influenced the playlists as the DJs more and more catered for the english soulies. Also things like the afternoon sessions turned into "brits on the piss" affairs with lots of shouting and singing footy songs. Not that I genereally mind that, I'm a football fan myself. But it was far away from what started like everybody chilling, chatting and enjoying soul music on a hot and sunny afternoon.

So to sum it up: I don't know of anybody that wouldn't welcome UK soulies. Yet I know of some that wouldn't advertise their promotions on a wider scale to avoid "brit invasions".

Feel free to comment!

(Phew, this is my longest post for quite some time now! My fingers are bleeding)

Well reading that Benji i guess you have been attracting the wrong British crowd , they certainly aint been attracting genuine soul fans obviously . However i do concede that some would be capable of going nuts " idiots abroad " syndrome but on the whole the VAST VAST MAJORITY are not like that . Last year at the Brid Weekender we put a room on special with a big screen ENGLAND v GERMANY... was is full of chanting Brits on the Piss NO over two hiundred in having a joke and laugh and moan whilst getting hammered by the Germans . Maybe some in Euroland need to lighten up too but events like this do attract some that do not do soul in the uk mate ..........:yes: ..:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ..

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Rimini is a type of destination for brits on the piss, like a few other places maybe in Spain.. The Euro scene is not just a few brits on piss type places, to say both points are valid based on some hotspots is wide of the mark..

I aint looking at Rimini/ Costa del soul type places, neither is Dave i don't think... Not my bag at all... Just a good rare soul event that welcomes a group of British soulies, a group, not an invading army :thumbsup:

I can see yoour point regarding Rimini, knowing how some Brits behave with sun and beer, i have seen the photos of these events, would not go in a million miles of these..

Social source share

Rimini is a type of destination for brits on the piss, like a few other places maybe in Spain.. The Euro scene is not just a few brits on piss type places, to say both points are valid based on some hotspots is wide of the mark..

I aint looking at Rimini/ Costa del soul type places, neither is Dave i don't think... Not my bag at all... Just a good rare soul event that welcomes a group of British soulies, a group, not an invading army :thumbsup:

I can see yoour point regarding Rimini, knowing how some Brits behave with sun and beer, i have seen the photos of these events, would not go in a million miles of these..

Indeed Steve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well reading that Benji i guess you have been attracting the wrong British crowd , they certainly aint been attracting genuine soul fans obviously . However i do concede that some would be capable of going nuts " idiots abroad " syndrome but on the whole the VAST VAST MAJORITY are not like that . Last year at the Brid Weekender we put a room on special with a big screen ENGLAND v GERMANY... was is full of chanting Brits on the Piss NO over two hiundred in having a joke and laugh and moan whilst getting hammered by the Germans . Maybe some in Euroland need to lighten up too but events like this do attract some that do not do soul in the uk mate ..........:yes: ..:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ..

Never said or meant to say that the majority is like that! I just tried to give an example why some promoters may not advertise on Soul Source. If I was promoting I sure would advertise on Soul Source and would be happy about everyone from all over the world who attends my do.

I aint looking at Rimini/ Costa del soul type places, neither is Dave i don't think... Not my bag at all... Just a good rare soul event that welcomes a group of British soulies, a group, not an invading army :no:

My points are not based on some hotspots but on what promoters said. I personally only know of 2/3 that don't advertise on Soul Source but been told of a few more.

I don't say that as soon as a larger UK group attends it will turn into "brits on the piss". Examples like Bamberg weekender prove the opposite. But it obviously happened in the past.

Social source share

Ok Benji

Thats made it a little more clear i guess..

Your original statement was short and looking like you were making a statement for all promoters in Europe....

Sent you the contact details Dave... Hope it works out...

Gonna have some more Euro profiles coming up very soon from Ireland and Spain...

Social source share

hi, rimini seems to be getting a bit of a bashing on this thread !!!!....i can't coment on all previous 9 events ...but,the last two which i have attended were great!!!!!!.......wide mix of nationalities attending and a good mix with the djs too.....and musically spot on with all dj sets (where ever the dj was from) getting a good dancefloor reaction.....covering all genres with rnb,latin ,crossover ,northern and modern all getting on to the decks!!!!

as for the afternoon sessions ........there were very chilled outed with a few cocktails and antipasti after a hard morning sunbathing!!!!....no brits on the piss just soulies from all over europe having a relaxed session listening to the djs records... no hassles just having a good time in the sun!

will be there in a few weeks!!!!

franc

Social source share

Hi Dave,

At the Amsterdam Soul Club we always get many people over from the UK.

A perfect weekend to spend in a nice tourist attraction and have a soulnight with a special twist.

Original Vinyl and Rare videoclips on big screens. Ask people who've seen me DJ at the Wheel. They love it.

We're on the third saturday of the month, every month except for August.

On our website you'll find info on accomodation and flights from the UK.

amsterdam soul club

Next one is July 16th

gallery_9757_4464_36824.jpg

See you all soon!

Jos

Edited by magnificentJoe
Social source share

I'm afraid I must disagree with you there. The last 3 I have been to have been a great weekend with people wanting to hear good music in a relaxing and warm surround. I heard there was a bunch of people down the road running an oldies event, but to be fair have not had any real contact with them. I do not want to go to a "Brits on the piss" as you call it event and Rimini has not been that on my experience.

I think your point is ill thought out and based on no real evidence.

Edited by hootenannie
Social source share

Guest peter burke

hi, rimini seems to be getting a bit of a bashing on this thread !!!!....i can't coment on all previous 9 events ...but,the last two which i have attended were great!!!!!!.......wide mix of nationalities attending and a good mix with the djs too.....and musically spot on with all dj sets (where ever the dj was from) getting a good dancefloor reaction.....covering all genres with rnb,latin ,crossover ,northern and modern all getting on to the decks!!!!

as for the afternoon sessions ........there were very chilled outed with a few cocktails and antipasti after a hard morning sunbathing!!!!....no brits on the piss just soulies from all over europe having a relaxed session listening to the djs records... no hassles just having a good time in the sun!

will be there in a few weeks!!!!

franc

Couldn't agree more Franc.

As someone who is aware of how "selective promotion" of these events is appearing more and more and the likelihood that this thread is going to get very messy, if I were a moderator I'd close it now.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Social source share

Couldn't agree more Franc.

As someone who is aware of how "selective promotion" of these events is appearing more and more and the likelihood that this thread is going to get very messy, if I were a moderator I'd close it now.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Totally agree with Franc and Pete here! Not really a nice move to diss an event just 4 weeks before it happens. I've been twice to Rimini and enjoyed it very much and I will be there this year as well!

Social source share

Totally agree with Franc and Pete here! Not really a nice move to diss an event just 4 weeks before it happens. I've been twice to Rimini and enjoyed it very much and I will be there this year as well!

I went to the first 4 or 5 weekenders. So it's not "dissing" but simply telling what it was like.

What I described earlier was one of the reason why I stopped going. Not the only reason but a major one. In the early days the Munich lot was at least 30/40 soulies. I don't think anyone of them is still going. Wonder why?

If it had changed over the last few years good for them but honestly, it doesn't really bother me.

Social source share

Some Euro events simply don't want the wider UK soulies at their events. Others I presume they are well attended anyway so they feel no need to advertise over here. Those that are popular haunts of the Brits are well known about anyway.

A controversial statement.Where's the evidence Chalky.? I am correct in reading between the lines that certain selective soulies are welcome?.

Social source share

I notice that a new thread has been started today for the One Room Paradise Weekender. It's next weekend !

I want to get over to more European events this year,(and I know others who do as well) but need much more notice than this. I need to book time off work, get a cheap flight (which is always easier the earlier you book it), and book accommodation. Giving four days notice of a weekender just makes it impossible to do the first two.

So, a request to all the promoters on the continent:

Advertise your events as far as possible in advance and you'll get a much better response from UK Punters

Totally agree Dave, had the same thought a couple of days ago when I noticed the Melvin Davis gig in Cologne this coming weekend. I would deffo have gone had I known earlier. Checked the cost of flights and they are exorbitant. Hope you get a positive response.

I would also say that the fact that the Cologne event is actually included in the Soul Source listings suggests that this promoter certainly has no truck with the Brits on the piss hypothesis but an early shout on forthcoming events thread would deffo allow flights and stuff to be sorted.

Taff

Social source share

Hi Dave,

At the Amsterdam Soul Club we always get many people over from the UK.

A perfect weekend to spend in a nice tourist attraction and have a soulnight with a special twist.

Original Vinyl and Rare videoclips on big screens. Ask people who've seen me DJ at the Wheel. They love it.

We're on the third saturday of the month, every month except for August.

On our website you'll find info on accomodation and flights from the UK.

amsterdam soul club

Next one is July 16th

See you all soon!

Jos

Hi Jos,

This is the kind of info I need, plenty of time to book time off work, flights and accommodation, and looking at my diary, I will be over for a weekend in November.

Cheers

Social source share

...Chalky's an expert on everything, Dave. Surprised you hadn't noticed before!:wicked::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another clever tw*t. What's your f**kin problem? Don't and never have claimed to be a expert on anything it's just f**kwits like you trying to be clever and score a few points.

If nothing to say about the topic then don't bother.

If you

Social source share

I was at Rimini last year and must say it really was great weekender. The only English there were friends of mine that I was very very happy to see and party with. In fact almost as many Germans there last year as English.

At my Hip City Soul Club we are very happy to welcome Soulies from everywhere, be it Japan, England, Spain or whathaveyou. In general I think its not a nice move to say anyone would be not welcomed at any club without saying where exactly...guess most will (now ?) feel very uncomfortably with this ? Further more and in all honesty, I dont know any of the German promoters who dont wish to see any British at their clubs...I mean ... :thumbsup::thumbsup::wicked: this must surely be a joke ???

Marc

Social source share

And that's why I'm trying to get the others to advertise earlier ! I've attended over twenty weekenders on the continent, and enjoyed every one, so I'm looking to go to other places, and not necessarily ones well populated by Brits, but if they don't advertise early enough I can't get the time off work and book cheap flights.

I started advertising my upcoming 21st anniversary in march..thats four months in advance...early enough for you Sir :thumbsup:...so you booked your flights already :thumbsup: ?

only joking Dave, would ne nice to see you one day though at the Hip City

atb

marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

At the end of the day, there's not a lot can be done if the promoters don't want to use Soul Source to advertise their event is there?

I'm in agreement with Dave and Steve in that i'd love to know more info up front on these events on here so i can plan things, however i kind of already get that info to an extent through the likes of Facebook etc and know the people over here to ask if not.

Even if you had a group of UK people on here who were 'in the know' of these events and could add info to a Eruo calendar of some sort, it's still the promoters choice as to where they advertise (granted, the world wide web makes exclusive promotion difficult). Maybe that's the way forward if people don't come to you with some info Dave; Get people from the UK who know these folk to ask whether they'd be happy for some details to go on Soul Source, and they can either mail it you themselves or via the UK contacts?

Not sure how manageable you could make that though

Azza

Social source share

I was at Rimini last year and must say it really was great weekender. The only English there were friends of mine that I was very very happy to see and party with. In fact almost as many Germans there last year as English.

At my Hip City Soul Club we are very happy to welcome Soulies from everywhere, be it Japan, England, Spain or whathaveyou. In general I think its not a nice move to say anyone would be not welcomed at any club without saying where exactly...guess most will (now ?) feel very uncomfortably with this ? Further more and in all honesty, I dont know any of the German promoters who dont wish to see any British at their clubs...I mean ... :thumbsup::thumbsup::wicked: this must surely be a joke ???

Marc

Marc, nobody said that.

Social source share

Good to see some feedback for Dave and its got something going..

Also glad to see some who do the Rimini event have their say also...

Maybe its like anything to do with soul, some will see it a different way, Benji comments that some don't like it as its been taken over by Brits in holiday mode, others say its a good mix of soulies from all over Europe, each to their own i guess...

I aint really into the mix of sun/ sea/ sand/ soul on the whole but their are plenty that do, i would prefer a bit of other culture if anytime between the soul events...

Will look at getting to the Amsterdam event, that would be a new experience for me sometime...

Plenty choice of events around Europe, that gives us all the chance to seek what we want...

A few folk see the world from a different place :thumbsup: , nothing new there..

Go easy folks.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I started advertising my upcoming 21st anniversary in march..thats four months in advance...early enough for you Sir :thumbsup:...so you booked your flights already :thumbsup: ?

only joking Dave, would ne nice to see you one day though at the Hip City

atb

marc

Marc,

I look every month at what I'm doing when Hip City is on, and I haven't found a weekend when I'm free that coincidides with you running Hip City.

I'll get there eventually though

Social source share

mhhhhh,

sorry Benji but my experience with the rimini soul week-ender is very different from yours, actually the opposite, and I have attended all of them.

In its first editions, this week-ender always attracted a big deal of brits, both djs and punters. The weird thing is that, for some reasons, the italians tended not to attend it. When the week-ender was held at the Io Street Club (and the afternoon dos at the bar above the venue), I have never witnessed any particular misbehaviour, other than a few soulies in high spirits. I'm not saying that nobody ever sang football songs etc, it just never happened in front of me.

As the years went by, less and less brits came, i presume mainly for a couple of reasons: 1) economic recession 2) much less favourable rate exchange

When Io Street Club turned into a strip bar (or sthing like that), the organisers moved the event to a smaller, more intimate venue. They started to book more italian djs and more italians attended the past editions. If the numbers went somewhat down, the quality of the music played has certainly gone up, with a great variety of quality sounds being played all over the week-end all topped by a cool, laid back atmosphere. Witnessing the sun rise around 5.30 am while dancing to some amazing Arthur Fenn's selections just gave me incredible emotions over the past 3 or 4 years.

hope to see you there this year

best,

g

Social source share

Good to see some feedback for Dave and its got something going..

Also glad to see some who do the Rimini event have their say also...

Maybe its like anything to do with soul, some will see it a different way, Benji comments that some don't like it as its been taken over by Brits in holiday mode, others say its a good mix of soulies from all over Europe, each to their own i guess...

I aint really into the mix of sun/ sea/ sand/ soul on the whole but their are plenty that do, i would prefer a bit of other culture if anytime between the soul events...

Will look at getting to the Amsterdam event, that would be a new experience for me sometime...

Plenty choice of events around Europe, that gives us all the chance to seek what we want...

A few folk see the world from a different place :wicked: , nothing new there..

Go easy folks.. :thumbsup:

Sometimes people go to an event because friends and some likeminded people maybe there, and because it's on the coast does'nt mean there's no culture and someone likes a beer when they are away i thought was pretty acceptable. Sometimes people don't take themselves too seriously and can enjoy good soul music for what it is. Best not go to Cleggy next year if the weathers good, there's sand there somewhere..:thumbsup:

Social source share

I think Stevie is referring to a particular 'sun, sand, sea and soul' experience, after all Valencia is on the coast and its cultural attractions are many and wonderful. Same can be said for Barcelona, Gij³n and Bilbao. The Costa del Sol has been been mentioned,

I personally loath the place but if someone put on an event in Malaga, I'd attend it, as it's a vibrant city and one wouldn't be banged up in a hotel on a stretch of hideous coastline catering exclusively to... British and Irish piss artists. :thumbsup:

Horses and courses, obviously...

Social source share

I think Stevie is referring to a particular 'sun, sand, sea and soul' experience, after all Valencia is on the coast and its cultural attractions are many and wonderful. Same can be said for Barcelona, Gij³n and Bilbao. The Costa del Sol has been been mentioned,

I personally loath the place but if someone put on an event in Malaga, I'd attend it, as it's a vibrant city and one wouldn't be banged up in a hotel on a stretch of hideous coastline catering exclusively to... British and Irish piss artists. :thumbsup:

Then perhaps he would be better to be more specific..:thumbsup:

Social source share

Macca,

We're on Coasta Calida, the unspoilt coastline of Southern Spain, South of Cartagena. Great beaches, great mountains, great restaurants, with a stunning view of the Almanzora Valley from the mountain Pueblo. No high rise here Pal. We'll see you in Sept? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I do advertise well in advance on soul source and also had some people coming over from England and Scotland to have a great weekend away in Hamburg. At our 1st Anniversary Martin Bradley was our guest DJ and he behaved well!!! Our locals thougth he was an imposter and actually from Switzerland!!!! Well, I do not like lager louds but we don't serve carling :thumbsup:

Mind you we in Hamburg like to have a good laugh and do love to pose with a beer.... !!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Hi!

I think Steve's suggestion of a Continental Europe/USA/Japan events section is really good! thumbsup.gif

As a promoter myself @ Movin' On Barcelona i don't think that nobody wants to shoot his/her own foot like it's been suggested when it comes to promote an allnighter/Soul Weekender. We've had many UK Dj's and -not so many- UK punters during the years and we've always tried to give everybody a warm welcome . But it's got to be said that things like Facebook are much more agile and effective when it comes to promote a club like ours, as on Soul Source your event tends to be drowned in a sea of announcements of UK soul nights-allnighters-weekenders unless you push the promotion constantly, wich i understand can be a bit annoying for some...

Having said that, we'll have both Butch & Soul Sam (+ more to be announced) Djing for us on the first weekend of December, so if you brits (and not brits) want to try the BCN experience i can't see a better opportunity! laugh.gif

Best!

Edu & Cristina

• Helpful 1
Social source share