Advertising European Events

Hi!

I think Steve's suggestion of a Continental Europe/USA/Japan events section is really good! thumbsup.gif

As a promoter myself @ Movin' On Barcelona i don't think that nobody wants to shoot his/her own foot like it's been suggested when it comes to promote an allnighter/Soul Weekender. We've had many UK Dj's and -not so many- UK punters during the years and we've always tried to give everybody a warm welcome . But it's got to be said that things like Facebook are much more agile and effective when it comes to promote a club like ours, as on Soul Source your event tends to be drowned in a sea of announcements of UK soul nights-allnighters-weekenders unless you push the promotion constantly, wich i understand can be a bit annoying for some...

Having said that, we'll have both Butch & Soul Sam (+ more to be announced) Djing for us on the first weekend of December, so if you brits (and not brits) want to try the BCN experience i can't see a better opportunity! laugh.gif

Best!

Edu & Cristina

And having been to one I must say a great weekend in a great city and a very warm welcome..Always recommended..:hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest peter burke

..... But it's got to be said that things like Facebook are much more agile and effective when it comes to promote a club like ours, as on Soul Source your event tends to be drowned in a sea of announcements of UK soul nights-allnighters-weekenders unless you push the promotion constantly, wich i understand can be a bit annoying for some...

Having said that, we'll have both Butch & Soul Sam (+ more to be announced) Djing for us on the first weekend of December, so if you brits (and not brits) want to try the BCN experience i can't see a better opportunity! laugh.gif

Best!

Edu & Cristina

Finally an objective post giving sound reasoning as to why a promoter could favour promoting in a certain direction, i.e. via Facebook to "friends" of a particular event.

Nice one Edu.

As I may not be able to get to the very appealing Scottish weekender 4th to 6th November Barcelona looks very tempting in December, so long as I avoid the taxi driver I had words with the last time we were over.

Pete

Social source share

Agreed Peter. I attended last year's Movin' On December session and enjoyed the first day/night immensely. Unfortunately, I got sick on the Saturday and missed the rest of the weekend, which was a real putada as they say here. We'll be back again this year though, and with Butch, Sam, Edu, Cris and the rest of the guys on the decks, it promises to be memorable. So, the moral of the story is that if you want to brave the culture and do 'the Continent', get yourselves on Facebook. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I think that maybe by Sun Sea and Soul people are hinting more in the direction of Soul in the Sun :-)

And I believe there is a Soul Curise now?

To be honest I'm not a big fan of hot weather so I wouldn't fancy a week in Tenerife listening to Soul every night but on the other hand I do keep meaning to go to a Spanish event... ..Movin on and the one in Valencia especially sound good! Edu, when is the best time to come when it isn't too hot for a lightweight like me who prefers not to remove her jacket :thumbsup:

Social source share

Some Euro events simply don't want the wider UK soulies at their events. Others I presume they are well attended anyway so they feel no need to advertise over here. Those that are popular haunts of the Brits are well known about anyway.

I'm really disappointed this thread deteriorated and am less inclined to post because I just don;t have the energy to debate much these days.

However, I agree with Chalky as I have heard a few Euro promoters actually say they have no interest in appealing to Brits or too many Brits, mainly because they want to nurture their own (often young) scene, just don't need the numbers or see England as another world away (far removed or disinterested) - which would explain why few make an effort to push their event on ss. Outside the UK, there is also a distinction between those events run by Brits and those by the real locals (...given my long history back home, it's no secret where my loyalties lie there). Plus Rimini did suffer some undeserving grief a few years back after many of us (Brits included) fought against those travelling over and trying to take it over from the Italians. It taught other observers from Europe a valuable lesson, but thankfully the weekender is about to celebrate its 10th year, recovering well with numbers and exciting dj lineps. As Edu and Pete have said, the friendships we form in Europe are key to the network. You get to know what people like and most always take an interest and discuss various events.

...And no, I am not pertaining to be an expert - merely an observer with forming views based on my experiences

Mr Rimmer,

Poor you for asking an innocent question and think we've both seen this issue raised before and intiatives suggested. For some Euro events, it's not so easy to advertise early either because the venue gives them little notice like month-by-month and some struggle writing on English speaking forums as well or prefer to use their local networks. Word of mouth from those who've been over or played there and the ss flyer gallery helps, but we hear about most events by chatting to people when we're over, sometimes when events are only at concept or planning stage. Facebook connections have also made news feeds easier. Oh, and you're a lightweight if you've only attended about 20 :(

I do however wish Mike could add the country in the forum headings (say on the right), so it would be easier to scroll through each event by location. But the poor man's had more than enough to do here.

m

ps. Mr Cato, Sam left Sydney a few years ago. Alex or George would've run most soul/NS events there over the past decades but last I heard, a Brit was doing them.

Social source share

Guest karen b

Hi soulfuljules,

like you I have also attended every Rimini and wanted to say that on reading your post the wave of emotion that came over me

was a surprise at breakfast time........................recent years at the GOTHA CLUB..............sunrise over the beach through the panaramic windows....

.which in itself can stir the emotions..................but combined with being in the company of loved ones and likeminded people with

SHOW ME THE WAY....SEVILLE................on the decks

at the very moment is one of the memories I want to relive forever..........................................Thank you Simone, Christian, Christina and DJ Arthur..

I shall also have to say that the magic is not just Rimini, but the last ever Frankfurt weekender was also a highly charged event, The Dells........well

I also have had the honour of attending the wonderful Hip City, Berlin.............ace

Ditto..............with fantastic time in Barcelona with Edus crew, Hamburg, Bamburg, Paris, diner with Danny in Valencia...........................................

And others.........................non of these many trips over the past TEN years has cost us the earth, we have always done it on a severe budget

and have had to search out places, but oh how its been worth it.........................

Karen xxx

PS: big love to Ady for Cleethorpes and the 100 club xxxxx

Social source share

Guest peter burke

Searched flights through SkyScanner last night and Easyjet to Barcelona for December coming up at under £60 return.

Granted there may be add ons as there usually are particularly with the likes of Ryanair but these days it costs us a ton in juice to get to the 100 Club (worth every penny by the way).

This years Rimini flights £50 each (cheers for the tip off Kev) out of Liverpool, but £30 add on for K's f#ckin suitcase!

Still bloody cheap by anyones reckoning.

P

Social source share

Guest karen b

Tommy... Norway

Tolbert, Hamburg, Germany

Michael Wink, One room paradise, Germany

Sam Goldie, Sydney soul, Austaralia national weekenders

Pete Fowler, Perth soul club, Australia nationals

hi steve,

going over to Europe for any soul niter or weekender has never been for holiday reasons, we concentrate on the event we have gone for and if we get chance go to art galleries, museums and generally try to get a feel for the place but we do but usually it's too quick turnround I e: Paris niter

out sat am back sun am or Berlin same you can keep costs to a minimum. Early riminis we went for the weekender flew home usually Tuesday then back with Ryan air on Thursday for a week with the kids because I did not want to mix the two or indeed need to miss any of the sessions because of childcare duties....it worked really well.

There are plenty of "holiday soul things" usually run by us Brits in the sun, but what I want for my money is

a passionate local promoter, great venue, new fresh Dj lineup playing ovo

new friends to meet and a bit of an adventure.

So I won't be packing my bucket and spade for Rimini.

Karen x

Carlo/ Leo and the get smart club, Rome Italy

Marco, venice all niters Italy

Dani Valencia soul nightts, Spain

Edu, Movin on club, Barcelona Spain

jORG, Austria soul nights,

Fabio Conti, Apulia northern soul lovers, Italy

Heikki , Helsinki, Finland soul club

Marc Forrest, Berlin soul club, Germany

Queensland soul club, Australia

Pete, Jos, Amsterdam soul club, Holland

Punky, soulastatic, Gothenborg, sweden

Magnus Rams, Robert, Stockholme soul, Sweden

Bill Kealy... Ireland

Danny Duggan, Ireland

Just a few for starters..

All members on here or have freinds on here, get in touch with Mr Rimmer and let us have the info... Plenty folk looking for holidays and soul at the same time..

Social source share

I think that maybe by Sun Sea and Soul people are hinting more in the direction of Soul in the Sun :-)

And I believe there is a Soul Curise now?

To be honest I'm not a big fan of hot weather so I wouldn't fancy a week in Tenerife listening to Soul every night but on the other hand I do keep meaning to go to a Spanish event... ..Movin on and the one in Valencia especially sound good! Edu, when is the best time to come when it isn't too hot for a lightweight like me who prefers not to remove her jacket :thumbsup:

Valencia is in October this year, so shouldnt be too hot - I've been to this event a couple of times, lots of non-brits makes it all fresh and interesting, nice place, nice punters and nice people running it.

Dave

Social source share

There are plenty of "holiday soul things" usually run by us Brits in the sun, but what I want for my money is

Karen x

I've read some arrogant crap on here over the years. This is up the with the best. :(

So a Brit can't have passion, promote locally, provide a fresh DJ line up playing ovo? You're having a laff aincha?

Regards,

Dave

A 'Brit in the sun' (which I presume in the secret soulful elite :thumbsup: speak means "soul riff raff").

Social source share

Karen x

I've read some arrogant crap on here over the years. This is up the with the best. :(

So a Brit can't have passion, promote locally, provide a fresh DJ line up playing ovo? You're having a laff aincha?

Regards,

Dave

A 'Brit in the sun' (which I presume in the secret soulful elite :thumbsup: speak means "soul riff raff").

In all respect dave, I dont think its crap at all. Karen didn`t say a Brit can`t do it.. She just said that when she wants to go abroad she wants a local promoter doing the night rather than a UK Soulie with his friends...playing in the worst case bootlegs or CD`s and ruining the reputation of an event. Which is what she and others had to experience in Rimini some years ago...

Social source share

Valencia is in October this year, so shouldnt be too hot - I've been to this event a couple of times, lots of non-brits makes it all fresh and interesting, nice place, nice punters and nice people running it.

Dave

And I am so much looking forward to my first DJ experience in Valencia...from what I have heard Big Thing/Valencia seems to be amongst the best annual events outside the UK ? Always big fun to go to Spain, been to Gijon twice so far and it still is amongst my fave cities and events :thumbsup:

Social source share

In all respect dave, I dont think its crap at all. Karen didn`t say a Brit can`t do it.. She just said that when she wants to go abroad she wants a local promoter doing the night rather than a UK Soulie with his friends...playing in the worst case bootlegs or CD`s and ruining the reputation of an event. Which is what she and others had to experience in Rimini some years ago...

That's not how I read it Marc. To be honest I'm finding all this anti - Brit thing a bit snobbish to be honest. :(

See you in Oct in Spain (where you'll be on the bill with at least a couple of 'brits'! :thumbsup::thumbsup: )

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

That's not how I read it Marc. To be honest I'm finding all this anti - Brit thing a bit snobbish to be honest. :thumbsup:

See you in Oct in Spain (where you'll be on the bill with at least a couple of 'brits'! :thumbsup::thumbsup: )

Regards,

Dave

cheers Dave, dont think this thread or Karen´s posting is anti-brit in any kinda way. In the end Karen is A Brit herself LOL

I am sure you know what Karen was aiming at. If it would be anti-brit I would have a big problem with it myself. Thats why I stated my opinion in my first 2 postings in this topic. And thats also why I am looking forward to Valenica big style...will be a BIG THING indeedy :(

The whole "problem" is/came about when Benji said he "knows" some German promoters who dont want to have UK Soulies at their venues. Take it from me, I dont know a single Promoter, be it German or not, who is against UK Soulies at their events. This is absolute rubbish. And its sad that this, the thread, which I am sure was meant by Dave Rimmer to be a positive and productive one along the way developed in that kinda direction.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Hey Marc,

No dramas. :( I agree 100%.

I too don't know a single promoter that would discourage Brits from attending their gigs (and I too have been to a few outside UK). It's about music, records, artists and having a good time with it all. The locations are simply a bonus to that sometimes.

You'll enjoy it in Oct. It'll be a blast of a weekend. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

The whole "problem" is/came about when Benji said he "knows" some German promoters who dont want to have UK Soulies at their venues.

Stop posting such bullshit. I never said these promoters don't want UK soulies at their dances.

I said "they fear that if a larger contingent of UK soulies attend they may "take over" the place and the venue turns into a "typical english allnighter" type of thing"

So you better "read" my posts before you "post". Thank you.

Social source share

Stop posting such bullshit. I never said these promoters don't want UK soulies at their dances.

I said "they fear that if a larger contingent of UK soulies attend they may "take over" the place and the venue turns into a "typical english allnighter" type of thing"

So you better "read" my posts before you "post". Thank you.

Oh you mean fat Brits like me.ph34r.gif

Social source share