Xfire This Sat 9pm-4am Stop Press News

Due To Being Called Away To A Major Record Find In The Russian Steppes Mick Smith Can't Appear And Dave Rivers Doesn't Even Know What I'm Talking About

But At Little Extra Expense, Apart From A Mammoth Bar Tab, We Have Secured The Services Of Val Palmer And One Or Possibly Two Of The Brighton Belles

They Are Celebrating Val's Umpteenth Birthday And Have Promised To Rockit Up, Ripit Up At The Ball To-(Morrow)Night

So It's Them, Super-Duper Star Kenny Burrell, Sitc's Paul Mckay, Warren Boogaloo, Harboro Horace And Ady Croasdell Who Chose This Great Font

Plus There's R&B, Psyche, Mini Skirts And Sideburns Galore

All at the International Student House opposite Great Portland Street tube 9pm-4am

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

And Ady Croasdell Who Chose This Great Font

All at the International Student House opposite Great Portland Street tube 9pm-4am

And who still doesn't know how to use them properly.

Really sorry I can't make this one now as I was really looking forward to it.

ohmy.gif .

3 of my favorite DJs as well, Kenny, Paul and Warren oh and you of course best make that 4.

Have a good one!

QoFx

Edited by chrissieo
Guest Stuart T

Plus There's R&B, Psyche, Mini Skirts And Sideburns Galore

Yeah but with no Mexican Robber Moustaches, I may have to stay at home :-(

Guest Stuart T

But I've got bumfluff and the gals have promised not to wax

:thumbsup: See you Saturday then.

Guest vinylvixen

Ah........waxing, eh. Perhaps a Hollywood for the weekend, sir :thumbsup: It doesn't hurt a bit :thumbsup: I'll be there, encouraging Val to behave as badly as possible........... :thumbsup: Be there or be oblong. Jo

But I've got bumfluff and the gals have promised not to wax

Just got in 7.20 am and it was a blinder, I really thought the other events up North and locally might harm us but the turn out from all over the continent particularly Cardiff, Brighton, Luton and Paris was terrific and Kenny B, Warren, Paul McKay and Val and the Brighton boilers was well solid.

Many thanks to Jason at the Net Bar who humoured us until dawn.

Yeah, what a brilliant night. I enjoyed all the spots and was pleased to see loads of 'Boogaloo' regulars really making the extra effort to travel the whole of 6 miles from Greenwich to Central London. :thumbsup: I've included my plays on the night.

Celest Hardie - Your gone - Reynolds

Dee Dee Sharp - Deep dark secret - Cameo

Rose Battiste - I miss my baby - Revilot

Jock Mitchell - Not a chance in a million - Impact

Tommy Ridgely - My love is getting stronger - International City

Dena Barnes - If you ever walked out of my life - Inferno

Arthur Freeman - You got me uptight - Jumbo

Carol Anderson - Taking my mind off love - Whip

Voices Incorporated - Thinkin' - Columbia

Maurice Williams - Being without you - Deesu

Chubby and the Turnpikes - I didn't try - Capitol

The Sensations - I won't be hurt - Way out

Gwen Davis - My man don't think I know - SS7

Bobby Angelle - Too much for you - Money

Delilah Moore - It takes love - Middle Earth

Bill Harris - Am I hot, am I cold - RCA

Supremes - Love is like an itching in my heart - Motown

Marvin and Tammi - Ain't no mountain high enough - Tamla

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart - Tamla

Minnie Jones - Shadow of a memory - Sugar

Carol and Gerri - How can I ever find the way - MGM

Clara Wood - You're after my guy - Imperial

Isonics - Sugar - Kammy

Danny Woods - You had me fooled - Correc-tone

The Parisians - Twinkle, twinkle little star - Demon Hot

Delegates of Soul - I'll come running back - Up Look

Otis Lee - Hard road to hoe - Quaint

Hesitations - That's the way love is - Kapp LP

Marlena Shaw - Wade in the water - Cadet

Guest Andy BB

Couple of niggles ....am going out on a limb here but hey, I've the skin of a rhino!

2) I'm a real fan of the ol' R & B & I have to say I was pretty unimpressed overall with the sounds played in the "R & B room" on this particular night.....I was preyin for the No More Doggin crew/ Melton Maffia to suddenly charge in & take over the decks at some point,but alas, twas not to be! On more than one occasion some pretty mainstream mowtown was played, & in no way did those tracks even resemble R & B (unless I'm goin deaf in my old age?!?)

French x

Missed my first Crossfire :thumbsup:

I think you have to bear in mind that the "RnB Room" is really more of a Mod Room than a strictly RnB only room. It gives the Mods who don't go for Northern in a big way (crazy fools) somewhere to go and therefore you'd expect at least a bit of Motown. And it is run by Mod club promoters and DJs

Don't usually spend much time in there myself but your description has made me quite keen (despite the Saharan temperatures and lack of a bar).

Can you remember any of the tracks?

BB

Hi Andy

I certainly heard Unsatisfied and some Ska whilst in the toilets in the vicinity during the night. Main room was packed form about 10.30 with a full dancefloor from then onwards. I was on from 9.30 - 10.00 and then 1.00 - 1.30. Second time I've DJed with that Gentleman of Soul Mr Kenny Burrell and second time I've had to follow him on. Quite a young crowd, with plenty of students (at least I assume they were) and so several calls for no drinks on the dancefloor. Here's what I played:

Deon Jackson - Ooh baby - Carla

Gene Chandler - I can take care of myself - Constellation DJ

Porgy & Monarchs - That's my girl - Verve DJ

Capitols - Hello stranger - UK Atlantic

Barbara Lewis - Think a little sugar - Atlantic DJ

Barbara Mason - Bobby is my baby - Arctic

Andrea Henry - I need you like a baby - MGM DJ

T.C. Lee & Bricklayers - Up & down the hill - King

Betty Lloyd - I'm catching on - BSC

Soul Communicaters - Those lonely nights - Fee Bee

Freddie Houston - Soft walkin' - Toto

Tommy Navarro - I cried my life away - De Jac

Billy Storm - Educated fool - Infinty DJ

Fi-Dels - Try a little harder - Keymen

2nd set

Charades - The key to my happiness - MGM DJ

O'Jays - I'll never forget you - Imperial DJ

Majestics - I love her so much it hurts me - Linda DJ

Frank Beverly & Butlers - If that's what you wanted - Gamble

Willie Kendrick - Change your ways - RCA

Ronnie McNeir - Sitting in my class - DeTo

Cashmeres - Show stopper - Hem

Volcanos - It's against the rules of love - Arctic DJ

Velvelettes - Lonely lonely girl am I - UK Tamla Motown DJ

Bill Bush - I'm waiting - Ronn

Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over - Tollie DJ

Timmie Williams - Competition - Mala DJ

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me - UK Libetry

Oxford Nights - I'm such a lonely one - Delphi

All in all a top night, with great sets from Warren, Kenny, Ady and Val.

Sorry I've been a while getting back to you Madamoiselle but I've had troubles logging on.

Yep sorry about the beer monsters, we should have had someone on permanent patrol and we will do next tme. As it happens Oscar volunteered for mopping duties and we repaid him by kidnapping him and taking him to the Net Bar until the early hours, late hours actually.

I'll pass on to Rob about the R&B room, I think it is a bit of a loose term for non-psychedelic mod music and you have to look at the DJ list to see what you'll get. Alan H, Roger Banks and Niamh usually do pretty solid R&B sets though Alan does flex his braces sometimes. I'll ask Rob to clarify what's the policy and perhaps describe the DJs styles on the club poster. It would be silly if they drift into freakbeat or Northern as they are covered elsewhere and if they play the Chords I'll switch the decks off.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope the hirsuite men tickled your fancy.

Twas a cracking night indeed. But have to agree that R n B room was not as high standard as usual. Nice to hear some new tunes being spun but they were not really what we wanted to hear up there. Reflected in the smaller numbers of people that stayed in the room. Good laugh over moustrap as well. (especially if you were one of the first in- then you will know what I mean!!)

Anyway wont put us off for the next. The Taffia will return!

James

Me and my Paul were at the front, altho I really wanted my bed, what a palava!

It was mildly amusing, til we got in, started off well with lyn collins 'think' which lasted for about 30 seconds then it was phyche which I was gutted about and managed to persuade paul to let me go home!

rnb room was dissapointing at x fire altho the ska went down well, alan h always plays a blinder,

didnt really do the northern room until the end, hoping to make 100 club sat tho

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the regular venue for the after show party for the Psychs, Sids, was temporarily shut so the Mousetrap had to do for all styles of music and I'm sure the Lemonade Charade and the Precisions sounded interesting next to each other.

I couldn't make it as I had to support Val in her birthday celebrations and we couldn't stagger that far North.

What was the incident? Off line if neccessary.

Afternoon Soul Source,

to address a few points made.

Was on the door and playing in two different rooms so can't comment on what was played all evening in any room. All I would say is whenever I went into any room the dancefloor was nearly always full and folk looked like they was having a great time.

To me a R&B room would include some Motown, Blues, Boogaloo and Jamaican R&B as well as ya R&S stuff.

I guess there would always be a small crossover off sounds played in the Northern + R&B room.

Here are a few tunes I spun in (Boogaloo in room 2), 300 pounds of heavenly joy- Howlin' Wolf, Get back- Jimmy McCracklin, I say that I love you- Johnny guitar Watson, I don't need no doctor- The Village callers, The Word game- Benny Spellman, 50/50- Harold Burrage, slick chick- Vernon Harrell for example.

The R&B room was a lot more comfortable this time round with 3-4 large fans which will be in place also in future.

Apologies for the small wait at Orleans for after party while the venue was emptied from the previous folk and cleaned up before we got started. It was well worth it we partied till 9am.

It's free, you could have a beer, the dancefloor was busy right till the end, thats a £1 per hour if you arrived at 9pm when doors opened.

I span the following Soul + R&B tunes at Orleans many in the first hour, In Love- Tony Galla, A little mixed up- Betty James, The Train- Joe Jeffery, Ain't no need- Merle Spears, Come on back Jack- Nina Simone,

Too much a part of me- Patti Austin, I idolize you- Charmaines, Can't do without you- Dusty Wilson, Somebodys always trying- King Size Taylor, My back scratcher- Frank Frost, The Wig- Lorenzo Holden, Lyn Collins- Think, Hot pants- Bobby Byrd, The Watts breakaway- Johnny Otis show.

Big thanks also to Scottish Paul (Molloy) who span records with me the last 4 hours of Crossfire 6.

Next one should be April 29th 2006

Cheers Rob

you have to look at the DJ list to see what you'll get. Alan H, Roger Banks and Niamh usually do pretty solid R&B sets though Alan does flex his braces sometimes.

Aw. Thanks Ady. Usually I need to be booked first before I do them though.. And I think Roger was halfway across the country on the night in question too, so his contribution might have been minimal.

I think you might need to pay more attention Mr Croasdell!

:ohmy:

Honest Niamh, it wasn't me who hijacked your set :ohmy:

Blimey! That makes a change. I'll bet if I had one in the first place you would have though. :thumbsup:

Oh oh. Now I'm in trouble..

XX

Aw. Thanks Ady. Usually I need to be booked first before I do them though.. And I think Roger was halfway across the country on the night in question too, so his contribution might have been minimal.

I think you might need to pay more attention Mr Croasdell!

I noo that silly, I was talking in general about Xfires and referring to you and Roger as an example when you are DJing there. Apologies for misunderstandings.

Source Advert