A House On Fire: The Rise And Fall Of Philadelphia Soul

Mike

spotted this on travels, anyone read, views etc

take its a recent release ?

mike

A HOUSE ON FIRE: The Rise and Fall of Philadelphia Soul. By John A. Jackson. (Oxford University, $35.) Jackson's book tells the story of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff's Philadelphia International Records, the last of the great soul empires. In the late 1960's and early 70's Gamble and Huff, along with the producer/arranger Thom Bell, racked up a series of hits that elevated them to the ranks of the better-documented Motown and Stax labels. With the O'Jays (''Back Stabbers''), Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (''If You Don't Know Me by Now''), Billy Paul (''Me and Mrs. Jones'') and others, the three created a sophisticated, dramatic new interpretation of rhythm and blues, heavy on luxurious strings and propulsive beats, that dominated the charts only to help set in motion the disco movement that ultimately sank them. Jackson, the author of fine histories of Alan Freed and ''American Bandstand,'' isn't the most elegant writer; phrases, even entire anecdotes are repeated, and his attempts to merge the story of Philadelphia soul with that of the era's social and political changes, though entirely valid, are sometimes awkward. The reclusive Gamble and Huff both refused to participate in the book, which makes it even more difficult for Jackson to decipher Gamble, who was driven at times by a volatile mixture of capitalism and black pride. But ''A House on Fire'' is a meticulously researched and engaging story, and there are lessons to be learned from the often forgotten Philadelphia International; before the triumph of the more mechanized sounds of disco and then hip-hop, it was a place where the human dynamics of musicians, songwriters and producers, all collaborating under one roof, were essential to success.

A.L.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/books/re...agewanted=print

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

not seen that mike but will definitely look into it

a companion book people might be interested in is 'Superbad', the story of the philadelphia black mafia of the 1970s, published by Milo Books.

some passing mentions of huff and gamble but basically a good true crime yarn which takes you back a bit to that time and place.

Social source share

A very good read about the early years of Gamble and Huff productions Gamble/Neptune etc Athough I found it ultimatelly frustateing then aggain I am a Philly obessive just ask Kenny I Would need a book three times as long just to get started But for a soul source music lover its a must Peace and love Paul aka Peco

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert