Mary Chapman The Queen Of Northern Soul

• 1 month later...

I used to be big mates with Vicky and Gino during the very early days at Cleethorpes,

Vicky was a great lass, had some right laughs, remember once she was extremely poorly at Cleethorpes with "horse sweat tablets", last saw her at Scarborough when all the Scene used to descend on the town for the bank holiday around 1976.

There was another lass from Peterborough a bit older called Vicky?

Edited by SOULFULHOUND
Social source share

Thanks for this - Great memories of a great place and time in our lives: Chris and I were regulars there, in fact our relationship started there!!!! Thanks Mary - the memories live on x

Sharon

we were really fast dancers at cleethorpes in the day,lol,!!!
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi All, Have to confess to clip 53 as that is me, a very young long haired Rick Scott, also on the stage with me, Mary and Colin Chapman,Rick Todd and Dick Jervis (amongst others), Happy memmories of the greatest All Niter EVER, :yes: Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

I remember going to a Doncaster Bailys 24 hr marathon many years ago,floods hampered the journey all the way from our starting point of Derby.On arrival the clubs managers and door staff were reluctent to let us in but Mary waved a magic wand distracted the staff and in we went.Thanks Mary.Gilly

This was the first ever soul do i went to.Saw it advertised in Blues and Soul and never looked back.Think it was 76 the rest is history.
Social source share

we were really fast dancers at cleethorpes in the day,lol,!!!

Weren`t we just! It must have been because we were so young and weighed about 5 stones wet through! Or perhaps it was due to some additives we were partaking of at the time - fast dancing, fast talking, everything was speeding!!!!.... lol!
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Have to confess to clip 53 as that is me, a very young long haired Rick Scott, also on the stage with me, Mary and Colin Chapman,Rick Todd and Dick Jervis (amongst others), Happy memmories of the greatest All Niter EVER, :yes: Rick

Hi Rick..they were great times..remember Dave Godin chatting to me and Al Millington and nicking my menthol cigarettes..was that when you paid £120 for Don Thomas Come on Train?

Dave Hill

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, defo not me that bought come on train for that price, i think it was maybe John Manship or John Vincent who paid that money for it then a couple of weeks later a few original copies turned up in small numbers,my brain cells not much better it has to be said lol, yea, great memories of fabulous nites chattiing with the likes of Dave Godin who loved "Cleethorpes" and had the utmost respect for Mary for what she achieved and for the DJ's for their taste in music, Mary and Colin, the Girls in the kiosk,The DJs and the Fans, "One Big Happy Family"

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Mary didn't Show as was to poorly to attend, surprised no one been on and commented on the night, oh by the way has everyones ears stoped bleeding yet, The sound system was fab when we got in there early doors really set up well and just right but as soon the Knob Twiddlers got into it well my ears were ringing and and eventually it was just unbearable to be in the main room, loudness and distortion does not make better to the degree some records were unrecognisable to these ears, shame.................... 

Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 14/06/2019 at 07:23, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nice photo of her and Colin "fagging it" 😀

Mary.jpg

I was so sad to here that Colin had passed away 12th July 2019 (I may have missed it on another thread).

I lost touch a number of years ago and I will always remember how Mary and Colin came over for dinner one Saturday and my wife cooked them both a lovely meal (chicken divan (very 1970's and Colin asked for a second helping)) and we talked and talked......about soul and then some....RIP Colin....Top Man, behind a great lady and one of my inspirations in life and music

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 5 months later...

Another great Photograph of Mary And Colin (RIP) Alan, Thanks for Posting! Wonder what was going through Colins mind when this was taken coz he sure wasn't looking at the camera, Come on folks, What do you think,Keep it light hearted, I'll go for this to start it off.

"Little does she know That a well known record Dealer is round at our house going through her records, and i'll get that Vintage Motor Bike i've had my eye on!"

The One above with Colin Fagging it , Mary and Colin at the"Britains got Talent Live Show" Thinking 'That Bloody John Manship Can't Sing!' Needs to stick to finding Rare Soul Records 🤣   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You know maybe we could have a thread where people who have funny soul related (or any other subject) photographs in funny or unusual situations and we could submit  what we think could have been said or thinking like above two photographs, i'm sure we all have some funny or just strange photographs that would be prime candidates, We could ALL do with a CHEER UP and something to make us SMILE in theses trying times...... Rick   

Social source share

• 4 months later...

had a request via our contact us feature

its below can anyone help?

if ya can ask please do it via the email given not in reply

cheers

mike

Hi,

I was the Sound Engineer / Equipment Provider for Mary and Colin Chapmans Northern Soul Events and even get a credit on the CD they put together.

I lost contact with them after being given a copy of the CD - are they still around?

I don't want to sign up for the website, but I don't know how else to make contact.

Graham.

grahamprie@sky.com

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Update on Mary 😃 She sends her Love to all on here that remembers her and i have to say she was full of beans yesterday after a very lengthy call i made to her yesterday after i had missed a call from her the previous day.

She had found a large box of 60s Mod period records (Small Faces, Who, Dusty Springfield etc) she had all but forgotten and said she enjoyed going through them and reminiscing about her early years prior getting into soul via Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding etc. 

Now during our conversation on The N S Scene she kept referring to someone called Scooby Doo and in the end i had to ask the question Who is this Scooby Doo you keep referring to (In a very nice way i have to say) and full of praise for him, turns out it was Kev Roberts.

Now i have to say, i didn't know that he went by that nick name in all the years i have known him so i learned something yesterday.......... 😉 

Edited by Rick Scott
spelling correction
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Thank You For your Kind Words and I am so pleased you are enjoying all the lovely Tributes to Mary and the Late Colin, and the Glowing comments and messages from all of her wonderful friends in the Soul Community here on Soul - Source. Mary and Colin are both Extremely Well Thought Of ( as you can see)  As are Their Other Two Babies, 'The Cleethorpes Pier' And 'The Cleethorpes Winter Gardens', Without Mary and Colin we would not have had such Iconic Venues to listen to the Music we Love, and such Brilliant Memories, even people who for what ever reasons were not able to attend speak very highly of them wishing they could have been there after hearing from friends what it was like to be on those Dance Floors and the countless tributes in print. I could go on and on but you can see for your selves and feel for your selves the love that people have For Mary, The 'Queen' of Northern Soul And Colin who was always by her Side.

Rick 🎷😀

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 28/06/2011 at 14:39, Guest dicklincoln72 said:

Remember some great nights at the Pier in 75, I think Mary used to run a soul night at the Turks Head in Lincoln before then. Can anybody confirm this or is my memory going.

Mum said she did one night at the Turks Head at the same time as doing the Winter Gardens.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!