Rick Scott profile photo

Mary Chapman The Queen Of Northern Soul

Posted

Cleethorpes was the best and stillis

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

mary is making a guest appearance at gainsboro air ambulance charity night on 6th may [see soul source or face book for further details ]

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I used to be big mates with Vicky and Gino during the very early days at Cleethorpes,

Vicky was a great lass, had some right laughs, remember once she was extremely poorly at Cleethorpes with "horse sweat tablets", last saw her at Scarborough when all the Scene used to descend on the town for the bank holiday around 1976.

There was another lass from Peterborough a bit older called Vicky?

Edited by SOULFULHOUND

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

the only cleethorpes clip,???

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for this - Great memories of a great place and time in our lives: Chris and I were regulars there, in fact our relationship started there!!!! Thanks Mary - the memories live on x

Sharon

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for this - Great memories of a great place and time in our lives: Chris and I were regulars there, in fact our relationship started there!!!! Thanks Mary - the memories live on x

Sharon

we were really fast dancers at cleethorpes in the day,lol,!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Ooh im in that somewhere , Cleggy Dance comp , indeed the only clip of Cleethorpes that exists i think, not sure but looks like Colin in clip 53

Edited by Naughty Boy

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Hi All, Have to confess to clip 53 as that is me, a very young long haired Rick Scott, also on the stage with me, Mary and Colin Chapman,Rick Todd and Dick Jervis (amongst others), Happy memmories of the greatest All Niter EVER, :yes: Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I remember going to a Doncaster Bailys 24 hr marathon many years ago,floods hampered the journey all the way from our starting point of Derby.On arrival the clubs managers and door staff were reluctent to let us in but Mary waved a magic wand distracted the staff and in we went.Thanks Mary.Gilly

This was the first ever soul do i went to.Saw it advertised in Blues and Soul and never looked back.Think it was 76 the rest is history.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

we were really fast dancers at cleethorpes in the day,lol,!!!

Weren`t we just! It must have been because we were so young and weighed about 5 stones wet through! Or perhaps it was due to some additives we were partaking of at the time - fast dancing, fast talking, everything was speeding!!!!.... lol!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hi All, Have to confess to clip 53 as that is me, a very young long haired Rick Scott, also on the stage with me, Mary and Colin Chapman,Rick Todd and Dick Jervis (amongst others), Happy memmories of the greatest All Niter EVER, :yes: Rick

Hi Rick..they were great times..remember Dave Godin chatting to me and Al Millington and nicking my menthol cigarettes..was that when you paid £120 for Don Thomas Come on Train?

Dave Hill

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

No it was when you bought Bernie Williams - Ever Again...alzheimers and substance misuse has destroyed my memory... :D

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hi Dave, defo not me that bought come on train for that price, i think it was maybe John Manship or John Vincent who paid that money for it then a couple of weeks later a few original copies turned up in small numbers,my brain cells not much better it has to be said lol, yea, great memories of fabulous nites chattiing with the likes of Dave Godin who loved "Cleethorpes" and had the utmost respect for Mary for what she achieved and for the DJ's for their taste in music, Mary and Colin, the Girls in the kiosk,The DJs and the Fans, "One Big Happy Family"

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Mary and Colin were both at Gainsborough last night, Mary did a 45 minute spot of pure class.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hope they are both well, and attend the tribute night in Lincoln tomorrow.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Nice photo of her and Colin "fagging it" 😀

Mary.jpg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Not very flattering...but much the same as 77...

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Mary didn't Show as was to poorly to attend, surprised no one been on and commented on the night, oh by the way has everyones ears stoped bleeding yet, The sound system was fab when we got in there early doors really set up well and just right but as soon the Knob Twiddlers got into it well my ears were ringing and and eventually it was just unbearable to be in the main room, loudness and distortion does not make better to the degree some records were unrecognisable to these ears, shame.................... 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It was certainly well attended! 

This day and age Mary could perhaps have been skyped in to say a few words.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 14/06/2019 at 07:23, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nice photo of her and Colin "fagging it" 😀

Mary.jpg

I was so sad to here that Colin had passed away 12th July 2019 (I may have missed it on another thread).

I lost touch a number of years ago and I will always remember how Mary and Colin came over for dinner one Saturday and my wife cooked them both a lovely meal (chicken divan (very 1970's and Colin asked for a second helping)) and we talked and talked......about soul and then some....RIP Colin....Top Man, behind a great lady and one of my inspirations in life and music

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Northern Soul Yesterdays - Source Forum

Northern soul days gone forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Dudley Zoo, Queen Mary Mary - Thursday Dec 23 - Christmas Party Reunion
    Events Archive by Neil Rushton on Thu 11 Nov 2010
    • 1 / 456
    • Neil Rushton on 11 Nov 2010
  2. Mary Johnson.........these Tears On Queen
    Record Sales by Ezzie Brown on Wed 25 Nov 2009
    • 2 / 594
    • on 26 Nov 2009
  3. These Tears.... Mary Johnson.... Queen? Foxy?
    Record Wants by the dukester on Sun 10 Jun 2012
    • 4 / 650
    • kolectem on 11 Jun 2012
  4. Northern Soul Night At The Queen Mary Ballroom (dudley)
    Events Archive by Jellybean on Sun 27 Jan 2008
    • 75 / 3652
    • JELLYBEAN on 04 Apr 2008
  5. The Return Of Queen Mary Ballroom, Dudley Zoo - Soul Music Is Coming Home
    All About the SOUL by Neil Rushton on Thu 12 Aug 2010
    • 31 / 3300
    • Neil Rushton on 23 Aug 2010
  6. Relaunch Of Queen Mary Ballroom, Dudley Zoo
    Events Archive by Neil Rushton on Mon 01 Nov 2010
    • 19 / 3875
    • Neil Rushton on 16 Dec 2010

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.