The Rock Foundation Reunion August 5Th

The ARC ( Higham W.M.C )Westfield Terrace Higham Ferrers Northamptonshire

The ARC presents The Rock Foundation Reunion on Friday 5th August 2011 featuring original Promoters / DJ's - Johnny ( Red Pants ) Warren , Andy Luck ,Tony Parker , Tank , Phil Attley and Karl Boddington and supporting DJ 'S Jem Brittin & Steve Scotney

Doors Open @ 7.30 till 12.15am . Tickets £5.00 O.T.D

For all information call Jem on 07905 028003 or email sales@northantsalfa.co.uk

35 YEARS SINCE ME & ANDY LUCK STARTED THE ROCK WHICH RAN WEEKLY FOR NEARLY 3 YRS . WE HAVE A LOT OF D/JS BOOKED AND MOST WILL D/DECK AS ITS A PARTY AND HARD TO LEAVE ANYONE OUT ( MUCH RESPECT) TO ANYONE WHO HAS.

A LOT OF ROCK CLASSICS ( EXCUSE THE PUN) WILL BE PLAYED BUT ALSO MANY MORE FROM WHAT "S PLAYED SINCE .I .WILL INCLUDE SOME OFF MY CURRENT FAV'S LIKE JOHNNY PRAYE , APPOINTMENTS ( STEPPIN CLOSER) & BOBBY KLINE ECT ECT . BEST JOHNNY RED PANTS IN SUNNY QUEENSLAND

• Replies 42
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi John , things are looking good on the other side of the world mate!....lots positive feedback on this night from the locals, was chatting with Karl B at the weekend about some of the tunes championed at the Rock ....some pretty cool stuff back in the day, be good to see you again soon a.t.b. Jem

:lol:

ANOTHER great night to look forward to at The Ark in just over a month's time (with a darn good night to enjoy there this Friday first!).thumbsup.gif

Look forward to seeing you again John, after first meeting you over here about the same time last year.

Be a pleasure to go on first thing and play some of what I think would've maybe been played at The Rock back then / what might be played if it was still going now.

Also be great to hear and learn what was actually played then and a fair few of those same tunes still being played locally as a result I'm sure.

Was only 6 or 7 at the time when I lived down Albion Place in Rushden, and think I was having to endure some REAL rock on 8 track in me Mum & Dad's Cortina Ghia, so didn't have a clue what soul music was then....Many would argue nothing's changed!biggrin.gif

Hope this night (and the one before it) will also attract interest from other Northants soul fans who maybe don't usually go to the regular nights at The Ark, as there's a superb story here and lots to learn.

Cheers and safe journey over here in a few weeks.

Stevehatsoff2.gif

Guest rushden

Hi John , things are looking good on the other side of the world mate!....lots positive feedback on this night from the locals, was chatting with Karl B at the weekend about some of the tunes championed at the Rock ....some pretty cool stuff back in the day, be good to see you again soon a.t.b. Jem

thumbsup.gif

G'day Jem, Great to hear it mate still stuck here in sun in Queensland its middle of winter and a blue sky and a cool 23c . Great memories of the rock and hard to believe it started over 35 yrs ago and only seems like yesterday that i was worried no one would turn up but around 150 on the first night . There was another venue at the time Rushden Athletic club run by Paul ( FATTY ) Attley and me Andy Luck felt we could put on a better gig although we had no bar selling cokes and walkers crisps . But with the D'JS and not forgetting the late (RIP) mate RUG BOWERS we were on to a winner soon as he put the needle down on LESTER TIPTON .

Lot's of us local lads way back back then were Mecca snobs ha and a lot off the rock play lists were mecca inspired who will ever forget hearing RONNIE MCNEIR SITTING IN MY CLASS , LYNN VARANDO WASH & WEAR LOVE . INNERSECTION LET ME LOVE YA , ELOISE LAWS LOVE FACTORY , LIFE TELL ME WHY , DANNY MONDAY , ALICE CLARK , LARRY SANTOS . BUT ONE RECORD LIKE NEL CARTER & DREAMS WAS A BIG PLAY BACK THEN AT THE ROCK & DID NOT HEAR IT ANYWHERE ELSE !

Anyone coming remember it is your night and all the DJ' S will be happy to include your requests! So lets have some please!

So many great memories . Any one remember the night i had the pleasure of letting in a load of hells angels they did pay there 50p ha . Tony Parker came out ''there taking the pppppppssss and were gonna have em '' and i calmed him down '' they soon get bored as it's not there traditional dandruff music'' . When they left they kindly set the fire alarm off so i had a nice Bill to pay the local fire brigade . Any more memories ( keep it clean ha) !

Best john

Guest rushden

ANOTHER great night to look forward to at The Ark in just over a month's time (with a darn good night to enjoy there this Friday first!).thumbsup.gif

Look forward to seeing you again John, after first meeting you over here about the same time last year.

Be a pleasure to go on first thing and play some of what I think would've maybe been played at The Rock back then / what might be played if it was still going now.

Also be great to hear and learn what was actually played then and a fair few of those same tunes still being played locally as a result I'm sure.

Was only 6 or 7 at the time when I lived down Albion Place in Rushden, and think I was having to endure some REAL rock on 8 track in me Mum & Dad's Cortina Ghia, so didn't have a clue what soul music was then....Many would argue nothing's changed!biggrin.gif

Hope this night (and the one before it) will also attract interest from other Northants soul fans who maybe don't usually go to the regular nights at The Ark, as there's a superb story here and lots to learn.

Cheers and safe journey over here in a few weeks.

Stevehatsoff2.gif

Steve likewise mate when i met you at the Karl & Marco's Wicksteed park night could not be anything but impressed with ya PASSION and its great you going spin a few early txs for that , the pressures on mate ( mob the floor ha ).

Mate were all still learning thats the fun of it there is always anorther great new track out there to be pushed . Best John

Guest boddington

G'day Jem, Great to hear it mate still stuck here in sun in Queensland its middle of winter and a blue sky and a cool 23c . Great memories of the rock and hard to believe it started over 35 yrs ago and only seems like yesterday that i was worried no one would turn up but around 150 on the first night . There was another venue at the time Rushden Athletic club run by Paul ( FATTY ) Attley and me Andy Luck felt we could put on a better gig although we had no bar selling cokes and walkers crisps . But with the D'JS and not forgetting the late (RIP) mate RUG BOWERS we were on to a winner soon as he put the needle down on LESTER TIPTON .

Lot's of us local lads way back back then were Mecca snobs ha and a lot off the rock play lists were mecca inspired who will ever forget hearing RONNIE MCNEIR SITTING IN MY CLASS , LYNN VARANDO WASH & WEAR LOVE . INNERSECTION LET ME LOVE YA , ELOISE LAWS LOVE FACTORY , LIFE TELL ME WHY , DANNY MONDAY , ALICE CLARK , LARRY SANTOS . BUT ONE RECORD LIKE NEL CARTER & DREAMS WAS A BIG PLAY BACK THEN AT THE ROCK & DID NOT HEAR IT ANYWHERE ELSE !

Anyone coming remember it is your night and all the DJ' S will be happy to include your requests! So lets have some please!

So many great memories . Any one remember the night i had the pleasure of letting in a load of hells angels they did pay there 50p ha . Tony Parker came out ''there taking the pppppppssss and were gonna have em '' and i calmed him down '' they soon get bored as it's not there traditional dandruff music'' . When they left they kindly set the fire alarm off so i had a nice Bill to pay the local fire brigade . Any more memories ( keep it clean ha) !

Best john

Hi John,

I still remember Rug and Sid making my records jump when i was DJing behind the Decks, my poor Matt Lucus - Baby better go go- on Karen.

I have all my records ready to play for this event, its going to be a brilliant night

see you all soon.

Karl.

So many great memories . Any one remember the night i had the pleasure of letting in a load of hells angels they did pay there 50p ha . Tony Parker came out ''there taking the pppppppssss and were gonna have em '' and i calmed him down '' they soon get bored as it's not there traditional dandruff music'' . When they left they kindly set the fire alarm off so i had a nice Bill to pay the local fire brigade . Any more memories ( keep it clean ha)

Hey John! Can't imagine the shy & retiring Mr Parker causing trouble!!:thumbsup:

Reminds me of when we used to take our Northern 45's down to the 'Greabo' night at The Manhole in Church Street on Monday nights after Moor Road. The DJ would reluctantly play a few sides for us and the Hairy Bunch would throw themselves all over the floor in mock Northern dancing stylee. We still did our bit though despite the intimidation. Happy days.

Safe trip and see you on the 5th .

Tank

Guest AndyL

Great to read this thread and yes what a time it was !! Soft drinks and 100 plus very young soulies cutting their teeth on tunes you could only hear at Blackpool Wigan to name but a very few venues!

After the Rock finished we went to either St Ives or other Northern Allnighters. The endless stream of new sounds we heard was amazing. Then a break on Sunday and waiting with excitement for the Soul Pack to arrive via post. Great and happy days. when we talk about the Rock Foundation we should always mention Nick Ballard. He was a legend and was always up to something different!!

I remember the time he set the back of his trousers on fire on attemtping a back drop with matches in his back pocket!

Rug Tony Parker and Danny Snith with the pccasional visit from Wilkie were the musical highlights for me . Those guys certainly really got me into the scene with their wonderful tunes.

All credit to John though who had the vision to put the venue on week after week for a couple of years. Also let in the younger kids who are now Promoters and punters hey Jem !!!

I have met some great lifelong mates at The Rock ie Phil, Tony Tank Sid Hohn Pinnock to name but a few.

Lets also not forget to celebrate the lives of Rug, Danny and Chalky Edwards who are sadly no longer with us!

Come on folks follow John and post up your Rock Foundations Favourites. Mine are endless but standout tunes for me are Just cant live my life Linda Jones, Tell me why - Life.

Your gonna miss a good thing - John Bowie

See ya at the Reunion

Andy Luck

Great and happy days. when we talk about the Rock Foundation we should always mention Nick Ballard. He was a legend and was always up to something different!!

Hi Andy.

Have a 'Ballard-ism' you'll like.

My bedroom in Duck Street was above the bay window of our front room. I drew the curtains one morning and saw a pile of 45's on the bay roof outside my window!!! I opened the window in disbelief and scooped up the records. As I flicked through them (all Soul by the way) I just could not comprehend how they'd got there or where they'd come from? I told everyone I met up with later, who knew nothing about it but probably thought I'd lost the plot, until I eventually bumped into Nick who casually said, "D'you 'get those records I left you?"!! THEN it made sense!!

See you there Andy.

Guest rushden

Some great stories Nick know lives in France and you can track him down by putting Candy Ballard and if she adds you there is some great photos on Nick . I invited him but think he got anorther event on that week pity! a character and then some . As was Paul Moore last time i tracked him down he was personal aircraft techician for the sultan of Dubai . Also you alrember ''HIGHLAND FLING'' wonder what happened to him.

One memory you won't be aware of every sunday i used to clean up and one sunday went in the main room and 2 metres off solid concrete ceing had come down in the night rember how the floor used to bounce so we had a close call !

Keep the memories coming best John

Great and happy days. when we talk about the Rock Foundation we should always mention Nick Ballard. He was a legend and was always up to something different!!

Hi Andy.

Have a 'Ballard-ism' you'll like.

My bedroom in Duck Street was above the bay window of our front room. I drew the curtains one morning and saw a pile of 45's on the bay roof outside my window!!! I opened the window in disbelief and scooped up the records. As I flicked through them (all Soul by the way) I just could not comprehend how they'd got there or where they'd come from? I told everyone I met up with later, who knew nothing about it but probably thought I'd lost the plot, until I eventually bumped into Nick who casually said, "D'you 'get those records I left you?"!! THEN it made sense!!

See you there Andy.

Was only a 14 year old wippersnapper when I first went to the Rock, remember being in awe of all the older lads , but had some great encouragement and knowledge about the music passed on to me by the likes of Andy Luck , Tony Parker and Al Pritchard etc. Al became a real good mate , remember Him having double decks in His bedroom at Newton Road and trying to teach me the dance steps. Sadly lost touch with Al a few years back , I know He moved to Nottingham . If anyone knows His wereabouts would love to contact Him about the reunion.

Tunes I remember from the Rock include :

I'll always love you - Sam Moultrie

People thats why - Idle Few

Alone with no love - Rock Candy

Wall to wall heartaches - Bobby Jason

If you ever walk out of my life - Dena Barnes

I lost a true love - Danny Wagner

Never too young to fall in love - Modern Redcaps

Edited by gogopro

Pretty sure Alan pritchard lives in Long Eaton or did last time i spoke to him that was maybe 10 years ago , havent any contact details though .

Was also thinkin about Crip Carline and Bobby (Alan Lane) and one of my best mates in those days Paul (Riz) Ridley anyone know of there whereabouts.?

Looking forward to this and catching up with old friends , the Rock was a pretty upfront venue at the time and a lot of great records were played.

some I recall being played

Virginia Blakly - Let nobody love you - Mojo

Ernest Mosely - Stubborn Heart - La- cindy

Joseph moore - I still cant get to you - Mar-v-lus

Othello Robertson - So in luv - Baby luv

Don Varner - Tearstained face - Quinvy

Montclairs - Hey you dont fight it - Arch

Profesionals - Thats why I love you - Groove city

Capitals - I cant deny that I love you - Omen

Lester Tipton - This wont change - La beat ( as mentioned earlier played by Rug Bowers)

Lena and the Deltanettes - Turn around baby - Uptown (played by Crip Carline)

see you on the 5th - Tony Parker :thumbsup:

Remember Nick ballard turning up with a suitcase full of records after his first trip to the States , and them being spread all over the floor in the area outside the main dance floor first record I looked at was a John Hampton - Not my girl - Dottys he wanted £30 , those were the days

Edited by midnight brew
Guest boddington

Pretty sure Alan pritchard lives in Long Eaton or did last time i spoke to him that was maybe 10 years ago , havent any contact details though .

Was also thinkin about Crip Carline and Bobby (Alan Lane) and one of my best mates in those days Paul (Riz) Ridley anyone know of there whereabouts.?

Looking forward to this and catching up with old friends , the Rock was a pretty upfront venue at the time and a lot of great records were played.

Joseph moore - I still cant get tou you - Mar-v-lus

Lester Tipton - This wont change - La beat ( as mentioned earlier played by Rug Bowers)

Remember Nick ballard turning up with a suitcase full of records after his first trip to the States , and them being spread all over the floor in the area outside the main dance floor first record I looked at was a John Hampton - Not my girl - Dottys he wanted £30 , those were the days

Hi Tony ,

The last time i saw Crip Carline it was about 13 years ago and he was living in the Bedford at that time and he sold me some nice records.

I met up with the Rug about 7 years ago at a car boot sale at Overstone Park , we had a good talk about the good old days . I asked him to come over to Desborough Ritz at that time and do a Dj spot for me . He told me he had a few nice gems put aside but he didn't have the passion to Dj anymore .

See you behind the Soul decks with some cracking tunes to play

Karl :hatsoff2:

G'day Tony , some play list's mate ! txs ,the sun's dimmed my brain and txs for reminding me of Crip very remiss of me . Crip brought his equipment for us to D'j with every week from Bedford a top bannana as well as spinning some great toones.

You mentioned ''Remember Nick ballard turning up with a suitcase full of records after his first trip to the States '' that would been when him and Anthony ( gabby ) Beeby ( ebay ukpest changed handle know 35soulman) found a major haul in LA . Gabby told me how Nicks a bit exiteable ha and they got ejected and to this day Gabby still trying to find that contact.

Some off you would remember the Beebys way back then from Higham Steven & his sister starting coming and i still remember when gabby came up to me on the door '' can i come in but i am only 12 '' we dragged him in ha . Lost track he emigrated to LA in 79 me to to OZ in 80's . I was at soul trip Usa 2006 and he was behind me at the bar '' your the lad who let me to the rock'' talkabout ''GREAT KARMA'' we been great freinds since . Recently in march did my 2nd record hunting trip with him not for the faint hearted! knocking on doors in South Central Compton & Paramount but there big lads ha him & Steve . In march the first appointment & a major score ( for them ) LOCATIONS RONPAUL , INCONQUERABLES COLOURED VINYL, and lots more & great to see big lads cry and we were ha ! Gabby & Steve put on soul nights in Hollywood at the Crush bar every friday & sat for many yrs and frequent patrons were Tom cruise , Rod Stewart , Peter falk , Demi moore ect ect and amazed me his tales of Djing for them at there private do's or just or just going out for a beer with Rod.

PS they cant be at this re union but hopefully at the next as we continue living the dream John still in da sun

PPS Any one remember the Par's from Higham they also live in LA !

Best John

Joseph moore - I still cant get to you - Mar-v-lus

John

When did the Rock start was it 1976 and then through to 78 or 1975 to 77, I know by 1979 myself Rug Bowers and Sid Clayton had started a regular night at the Queen Victoria Hotel in Rushden in the upstairs function room which ran for about 2 years . There was definately a continuation of venues in Rushden throughout the late 70s ,80s , and 90s including the Trades club , which was up Higham hill , Athletic club , Rushden working mens club , The original John Whites club on the A6 not the new build. Rafa club on Station road , Catholic club and the twice yearly do,s at the old Castaways club near Souldrop .Rushden town football clubhouse when up Hayden road ,Rugby Club , Band club in Manton Road.. and Dave Vanners regular nights at the long gone Skew Bridge Ski Club

The Rock foundation was certainly the first venue playing 100% soul on a regular basis in Rushden , I know we had weekly nights at Moor road youth club as early as early as 73 where the music was predominately soul and motown and in 74 when we got tapes played after coming back from either Blackpool Mecca or Wigan , the majority of soul fans in the Rushden area were all of the same age group 15-16 year olds in 1973/74 there was a few older lads like Gary jones who took myself and Tank and i think either Glen stewart or Mick Gavin (wellingborough lads)in his moggy minor to the Catacoombs in July 73 that was the begining of a 38 year love of rare soul ,we were both 15 at the time and for me it was life changing , most of the older lads and some of my age had drifted away by the late 70s/early80s.leaving a hardcore to keep things going , great memories and Rushden always was a great place if you were a soul fan .

I left Rushden area 10 years ago so cant comment on recent years but know there are still regular nights and understand they are well supported which as got to be a good thing.

When Nick Ballard turned up with his suitcase at the Rock it was when he had come back from his first trip to the States , I,m sure on that visit he went to the Detroit area I thought with Alan Lane (bobby) and bought back mostly Detroit items a lot of early striped Tamla stuff as well as quantity on both paula durante tracks ,the Johnny Hampton and loads more i cant remember , I think the trip to Los Angeles was a couple of years later as I remember him coming to my house with 10 mint copies of Lonnie Russ - Say girl - Kerwood (Yellow issues) . he wanted £20 each I had one for my collection not really knowing how rare that would turn out to be , he didnt say how many he had found but I assume that was after the trip with Anthony Beeby so they maybe found a 25 count box and split them, Lonnie Russ being a west coast release would add up. certainly Nick was a great character and was seen on more than one occasion walking down Rushden High street in his Pyjamas to get the morning paper.

ps I remember the Parr twins lived in Higham Ferrers, nice girls was one of them called Kathy ?

Anyone remember Chris Parker from Higham Ferrers I thought he was a cousin of Alan Pritchard but my memories crap nowadays so I maybe i,m imagining it

atb Tony Parker

Edited by midnight brew

hi fellas,

I've just read the thread and thought to add a couple of memoirs...

yes Tank and myself managed to persuade Alan (Iliffe) to Dj at the youth club firstly,and with our first visit to the Dog &Duck ,soon began our quest to find rarer sounds,being recommended by G.Jones, Glen Stuart, Mick Gavin (RIP),"griff" among others....

trips to THE MECCA soon followed, which gave us more opportunity to get our hands on more prominant sides ,and along with Crip gave us that special mix of styles to play.

I must say at this point that although we played the discs during the early Rock days, more interestingly ,a co-operative was formed and records played were owned by others previously mentioned in this thread.

A personnal favourite of mine being "Dontee Studio Band" discovered by Nick on one of his U.S. trips ,which I pleaded for him to sell me for a long time (no need,you can play it anytime..),-Marco being the lucky owner eventually I believe ?....and something I took up to the Mecca to (rightly) get its first major airing at the correct venue years later, --the Dj's there at the time refused to play it !!!!!

The major influence of new release 45's was my bag, and Tank and myself were able to slip down to Streatham's "BLACK WAX" to secure the very latest cuts played at Blackpool,things like Bobby Hutton's album masterpiece "lend a hand", and Gil Scott Heron's "the bottle" ,Robert Thomas "Salvation" were without any doubt debuted here..

definitely THE place to be in northants at that time and sadly, not to my knowledge,championed enough in written epitaphs of Northants Soul............................................Right on Jimmy,Right on.

John

When did the Rock start was it 1976 and then through to 78 or 1975 to 77, I know by 1979 myself Rug Bowers and Sid Clayton had started a regular night at the Queen Victoria Hotel in Rushden in the upstairs function room which ran for about 2 years . There was definately a continuation of venues in Rushden throughout the late 70s ,80s , and 90s including the Trades club , which was up Higham hill , Athletic club , Rushden working mens club , The original John Whites club on the A6 not the new build. Rafa club on Station road , Catholic club and the twice yearly do,s at the old Castaways club near Souldrop .Rushden town football clubhouse when up Hayden road ,Rugby Club , Band club in Manton Road.. and Dave Vanners regular nights at the long gone Skew Bridge Ski Club

The Rock foundation was certainly the first venue playing 100% soul on a regular basis in Rushden , I know we had weekly nights at Moor road youth club as early as early as 73 where the music was predominately soul and motown and in 74 when we got tapes played after coming back from either Blackpool Mecca or Wigan , the majority of soul fans in the Rushden area were all of the same age group 15-16 year olds in 1973/74 there was a few older lads like Gary jones who took myself and Tank and i think either Glen stewart or Mick Gavin (wellingborough lads)in his moggy minor to the Catacoombs in July 73 that was the begining of a 38 year love of rare soul ,we were both 15 at the time and for me it was life changing , most of the older lads and some of my age had drifted away by the late 70s/early80s.leaving a hardcore to keep things going , great memories and Rushden always was a great place if you were a soul fan .

I left Rushden area 10 years ago so cant comment on recent years but know there are still regular nights and understand they are well supported which as got to be a good thing.

When Nick Ballard turned up with his suitcase at the Rock it was when he had come back from his first trip to the States , I,m sure on that visit he went to the Detroit area I thought with Alan Lane (bobby) and bought back mostly Detroit items a lot of early striped Tamla stuff as well as quantity on both paula durante tracks ,the Johnny Hampton and loads more i cant remember , I think the trip to Los Angeles was a couple of years later as I remember him coming to my house with 10 mint copies of Lonnie Russ - Say girl - Kerwood (Yellow issues) . he wanted £20 each I had one for my collection not really knowing how rare that would turn out to be , he didnt say how many he had found but I assume that was after the trip with Anthony Beeby so they maybe found a 25 count box and split them, Lonnie Russ being a west coast release would add up. certainly Nick was a great character and was seen on more than one occasion walking down Rushden High street in his Pyjamas to get the morning paper.

ps I remember the Parr twins lived in Higham Ferrers, nice girls was one of them called Kathy ?

Anyone remember Chris Parker from Higham Ferrers I thought he was a cousin of Alan Pritchard but my memories crap nowadays so I maybe i,m imagining it

atb Tony Parker

Hi Tony Chris Parker is my cousin He was a good mate of Al Pritchard, also was the person who got me into the music, He gave me a small box of records around 1975ish and sneeked me into the Ath at Rushden around the same time, think it was just before the Rock started. I remember He shoved me in the corner on my own and said sit there and dont move, then went off to talk to His mates allnight, still was a great night and first time I had witnessed the dancing ...wow!

Remember attending the nights at the Queen Vic upstairs and a couple a the trades Club ...glad you mentioned them thought I had dreamed there were dos on there, also remember going to a few at the castaways.....remember the night Lou Ragland appeared there was this early eighties?...remember thinking is this really Lou Ragland cos I had never seen a picture of Him. Dave Vanners dos at the ski club were pretty good ...bar the cobbled dance floor

Hi Tony Chris Parker is my cousin He was a good mate of Al Pritchard, also was the person who got me into the music, He gave me a small box of records around 1975ish and sneeked me into the Ath at Rushden around the same time, think it was just before the Rock started. I remember He shoved me in the corner on my own and said sit there and dont move, then went off to talk to His mates allnight, still was a great night and first time I had witnessed the dancing ...wow!

Remember attending the nights at the Queen Vic upstairs and a couple a the trades Club ...glad you mentioned them thought I had dreamed there were dos on there, also remember going to a few at the castaways.....remember the night Lou Ragland appeared there was this early eighties?...remember thinking is this really Lou Ragland cos I had never seen a picture of Him. Dave Vanners dos at the ski club were pretty good ...bar the cobbled dance floor

Hello Jem

That makes sense now regarding Chris Parker , thought he was a mate or relation of Alans ,but now youve said I do remember he was your cousin .

Regarding Lou Ragland ,from what I can recall he was on tour and staying at John Smiths in Northampton , John had mentioned to myself and Cliff Steele that he could arrange for Lou to appear at the Castaways as it coincided with his visit to the U.k . This was hastily arranged and agreed that Lou would use a backing tape to sing over , I was thinking it was maybe 87/88 time but was in fact 1990 ,Which suprised me as I thought it was earlier but Lou,s photo was signed 1990

Ive just found these , if you left click and enlarge the Lou Ragland photo you should be able to read what he wrote.

on the picture top right is .

back row from left Sid Clayton,Trev polynj ,Lou Ragland,Cliff Steele , John ? , John Smith

front row from left Phil Attley , Tony Parker , Russ (rug) Bowers

post-5548-0-97602900-1311285286_thumb.jp

post-5548-0-57730100-1311285332_thumb.jp

post-5548-0-80558400-1311285377_thumb.jp

Edited by midnight brew
  • Up vote 1

Just to get back on topic heres 2 more photo,s taken in Aug and Sept 1979 ,so probably a year or two after the Rock closed but most were regulars there.

photo on left - Colin attley, Twig , Tony Parker,Phil Attley ,Stuart Green, Sid Clayton (taken at Berkhampstead)

photo on right Gary Gepp,Phil Attley, Julia Carter,Alan Pritchard,Tony Parker,Twig,Sid Clayton and ? (taken at St ives allnighter)

post-5548-0-34255500-1311286908_thumb.jp

post-5548-0-48887900-1311286942_thumb.jp

Edited by midnight brew

other collectors who were regular attendees were Grahame Howe (previously pictured),....The Topics,Eddie Spencer,Shane Martin etc

"Kitty" ....how many thought he'd lost it when he paid £100 for Billy Woods ?

Paul Blades....how many immaculate in-demanders did Paul bring along ?

note ; I think the St Ives shot might have been the all-dayer Tony ?(my tie), the dude on the right Mr Mick Godfrey?

regards phil

other collectors who were regular attendees were Grahame Howe (previously pictured),....The Topics,Eddie Spencer,Shane Martin etc

"Kitty" ....how many thought he'd lost it when he paid £100 for Billy Woods ?

Paul Blades....how many immaculate in-demanders did Paul bring along ?

note ; I think the St Ives shot might have been the all-dayer Tony ?(my tie), the dude on the right Mr Mick Godfrey?

regards phil

You probably right about it being the all-dayer Phil , all it says on the back is St Ives Aug 1979 , dont think its Mick Godfrey though .

Glad you mentioned Steve (Kitty) Wells and Paul Blades Phil , as you know both were collecters from Wellingborough and had some great records in the70s and 80s ,I,d forgot they used to come to the Rock ,did either of them dj there? they both sold up about the same time and it was from Kitty I bought Don Gardner - Cheatin Kind for £120 and I got a Del-larks-Job opening from Paul Blades for £100 , also a Lou Pride - I,m comin home in the morning which was £35 , seems unreal when you consider what those 3 would fetch nowadays, myself and Terry Rider bought a lot of records from them but left the Billy Woods as it had a hiss when played probably due to the fact it was styrene , should have had that as well with hindsight.

About 15 years ago I found that Kitty was living in Kettering so I called round hoping he still had the Billy Woods , but he had sold it years before , he couldnt remember who to, but said he got £100 !!!!

When Kitty , Rug Bowers and Keith(wilkie) Wilkinson went to Philadelphia in 1979 it was Kitty who found a copy of Eric Mercury - Lonely Girl - Sac , it was unknown in the U.K at the time and when I first heard it at Rugs house in Chichele Street it sounded awesome, they also had about 50 copies of Tojo - Brokenhearted lover - Tec .

Edited by midnight brew

hi fellas,

yes Tank and myself managed to persuade Alan (Iliffe) to Dj at the youth club firstly,and with our first visit to the Dog &Duck ,soon began our quest to find rarer sounds,being recommended by G.Jones, Glen Stuart, Mick Gavin (RIP),"griff" among others....

trips to THE MECCA soon followed, which gave us more opportunity to get our hands on more prominant sides ,and along with Crip gave us that special mix of styles to play.

I must say at this point that although we played the discs during the early Rock days, more interestingly ,a co-operative was formed and records played were owned by others previously mentioned in this thread.

A personnal favourite of mine being "Dontee Studio Band" discovered by Nick on one of his U.S. trips ,which I pleaded for him to sell me for a long time (no need,you can play it anytime..),-Marco being the lucky owner eventually I believe ?....and something I took up to the Mecca to (rightly) get its first major airing at the correct venue years later, --the Dj's there at the time refused to play it !!!!!

The major influence of new release 45's was my bag, and Tank and myself were able to slip down to Streatham's "BLACK WAX" to secure the very latest cuts played at Blackpool,things like Bobby Hutton's album masterpiece "lend a hand", and Gil Scott Heron's "the bottle" ,Robert Thomas "Salvation" were without any doubt debuted here..

definitely THE place to be in northants at that time and sadly, not to my knowledge,championed enough in written epitaphs of Northants Soul............................................Right on Jimmy,Right on.

hi fellas,

Hey Phil! Agree with your last sentiment. Lots of props fly around for The George, Shades, Nags Head etc as the early pioneers in Northants and rightly so, but Rushden or it's venues or collectors rarely get a mention!

Re The Rock. I have a couple of photos somewhere I'll try to dig out which are proof you had to wear a moustache to get in!!

You all know I moved away in 1978 so probably missed the best years of The Rock, but Tony P used to visit me and write me with his latest playlists and acquisitions.

Remember our Black Wax trips well too. We were definitely in a minority playing album tracks back then and our new release preferences didn't always go down too well did they? Remember those racks of Turbo/Stang/All Platinum albums in Black Wax dirt cheap! Heartstoppers, Oncoming Times, Optimistics, New Sounds & Linda Jones etc? If only........

Hey Phil! Agree with your last sentiment. Lots of props fly around for The George, Shades, Nags Head etc as the early pioneers in Northants and rightly so, but Rushden or it's venues or collectors rarely get a mention!

Re The Rock. I have a couple of photos somewhere I'll try to dig out which are proof you had to wear a moustache to get in!!

You all know I moved away in 1978 so probably missed the best years of The Rock, but Tony P used to visit me and write me with his latest playlists and acquisitions.

Remember our Black Wax trips well too. We were definitely in a minority playing album tracks back then and our new release preferences didn't always go down too well did they? Remember those racks of Turbo/Stang/All Platinum albums in Black Wax dirt cheap! Heartstoppers, Oncoming Times, Optimistics, New Sounds & Linda Jones etc? If only........

Tank

Remember when we went to Jim Wilsons - Ebony Sounds in Leytonstone ,1979/80 ish he wouldnt let us out the back but sorted us 100 45s for £15 , in amongst those was a Cookie Scott - I dont Care / Misled - Orr , 15 pence cant be bad ,, always thought it was a class record and its become in demand in the last 10 years :thumbsup:

Edited by midnight brew

hi all,

another 45 I purchased from Nick(B) and played was "gold of my life",which became popular 10yrs ? ago (was this a new release at that time?)

also Katrina by Lifestyle as fresh release,which again found popularity years later.....

hi all,

another 45 I purchased from Nick(B) and played was "gold of my life",which became popular 10yrs ? ago (was this a new release at that time?)

also Katrina by Lifestyle as fresh release,which again found popularity years later.....

Hi Phil. Mixed Emotions came out late '74 if memory serves correctly. Fetches a bit nowadays I gather?

Tank

Remember when we went to Jim Wilsons - Ebony Sounds in Leytonstone ,1979/80 ish he wouldnt let us out the back but sorted us 100 45s for £15 , in amongst those was a Cookie Scott - I dont Care / Misled - Orr , 15 pence cant be bad ,, always thought it was a class record and its become in demand in the last 10 years :thumbsup:

Yeah! Remember it well Tony. Bit of a miserable bugger I seem to recall. He showed us that back room but wouldn't let us in!! (PS - I'll have the Cookie Scott for 15p if you've still got it?) :lol:

Nice to see you boys still have the passion :D . From what I hear the Club will be mobbed. It seems to be the place to be that weekend!. Also after the other weeks Roots of Northern Soul night. it is a good point to carry on with a reminder of the history of this fine area. You boys were really pushing the boundaries back then. Respect!

Great to be a punter for a change, Steve.

As we're getting all nostalgic..........does anyone remember when the wellingborough lads came over one night and gave you all a good biffing......myself despatching both STIG GAROO (surely that wer,nt his real name) and BOB McDOWELL this was when there was bad blood between the two towns......happily the love of soul music and night time goings on made us all eventually pals...as it does..........happy days indeedy

P.S.......you can count yourselves lucky the mighty MICK GAVIN R.I.P (best friend at the time ) didn,t come lol :lol: :lol: atb tezza

Mick Gavin came to Rushden lots of times around 1974/75 no problems along with Glen Stewart usually to Moor road , The night you refer to had nothing to do with the Soul nights at the Rock. Stig Groom was a greaser and Bob Mcdowell was a footie fan, both a lot older than our group nothing to do with the soul scene locally .and any good biffing as you put it didnt involve any of us .

There was some inter town rivalry , but as you say Tez , all who stuck on the scene became mates

Edited by midnight brew

Mick Gavin came to Rushden lots of times around 1974/75 no problems along with Glen Stewart usually to Moor road , The night you refer to had nothing to do with the Soul nights at the Rock. Stig Groom was a greaser and Bob Mcdowell was a footie fan, both a lot older than our group nothing to do with the soul scene locally .and any good biffing as you put it didnt involve any of us .

There was some inter town rivalry , but as you say Tez , all who stuck on the scene became mates

Think He had a brother nicknamed "Tub" right couple of scarey greasers that were always picking on me and my mates untill my cousin put em right.

Some great old photos and taches ! Tony .The Lou Ragland one a real lovely memento , thought His voice was excellent despite the backing track and yes ref the date it does make sense , Tony Law and his Dad ran the Castaways back then. ref. Nick Ballard stories , was in touch with Him up untill He moved to France a few years back , dont think He is too bothered about the music now , did say He had quite a few records still but just stuff He kept that He really liked Purple Mundi etc.

One of the most bizzare moments I shared with Him was about 7/8 years ago, He turned up on my doorstep about teatime one summers evening dressed in the most odd trousers I have ever seen, looked like something out the victorian era.anyway He was clutching a bin liner and explained that He had just finished work and asked if He could wash His hair. Didnt think that this was that strange as this was Nick thinking He was probably running late and had to be somewhere- so i said- no problem mate come in you know where the bathroom is but be quick cos we were just about to have a barbeque.So I expected Him to shoot straight upstairs , instead He followed me out through the back to the patio where the wife and then young kids were- ok I thought wants to just say hi and be polite...no.... walks straight to the outside tap ..pulls out a freshley skinned "Hare" not Hair from the bin liner and proceeds to wash of all the blood etc. all over the patio ..wtf !!...thanks Jem he said just found at the side of the road and want to sneek it in home and straight in the deep freeze as me Mrs is funny about that kind of thing.....think my kids are still trraumatised by it till this day. :lol:

Edited by gogopro

Hi everyone,

It's great reading this thread / looking at the photo's - You all ain't changed a bit! lol

Johnny / Andy / Jem / Steve, as you know, I'll be on my hols when this event happens but hope you all have a really good night remembering days gone by etc - All these years later you and us 'Young uns' are still playing at it - Great stuff! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Sorry you are away Len. I am looking forward to having a night away from the decks and having a few beers and a natter and would have bought you a beer or three!

Great story Jem. I know which trousers you are on about. He wore them when he did some plumbing work for me. I was fascinated that he stubbed his roll ups on them and put his ash in his pocket. Worn with very large braces i seem to recall.

Guest landy

Well chaps reading all this makes me feel extremely old when the Rock kicked off with pure northern I was starting out with a young family THATS WHY I NEVER WENT. I rememember a lot of the names but only knew 1 or 2 of them Chris Parker for one had my northern records off the juke box at The Queens Head still annoyed about that but ayho. re messrs mcDowell & groome we were adversaries in our youth but haven't seen stig for yrs Bob lives in irtlenock and we get on ok these days. I also remember Malcy Bull & Chris Clarke I think it was from Irchester playing a fair bit of northern back in the early seventies 71-72 Malcy had a fair old collection at the time last I heard they were pinned on his stairway at his hse in M.K, that was probably 15yrs ago. Looks like next Friday will be exceptional even for the Ark looking forward to it and Jeremy can you reserve a parking place for me zimmer and skateboard pls.

Guest landy

P.s I think Mr Parker remembers being kidnapped by Malc and myself with several others and getting dragged to the Howard Mallet at Cambridge one Friday night

Some great stories on here...All well before my time but really good to learn more about The Rock / Mecca / Wigan era and the sort of 45's played and how these shaped the nights locally in terms of what still gets played and enjoyed now.

Johnny Warren is on Banbury Internet Radio this Tuesday night between 8 to 10 if anyone is interested and wants to log on to listen to some of the 45's he brought with him all the way from Oz whilst he's back here this month (and guessing some of which will also be played at The Ark this Friday eve!).

Looking forward to Friday for what should be another cracking night at The Ark here in sunny Higham Ferrers, and thanks again for asking me to "warm the kit up" with a dozen or so great tunes early doors. :thumbsup:

Guest rushden

Steve playing most i want be playing ha ie DOLLY PARTON ( I KID YOU NOT !) love it Diamond Joe love it Karen Brooks a an Illusions obscure out New york the superb Chuck Henley and plan to finish with the bobby genty i walked away instro & the i walked away edited acetate .

Talking of the rock me & Andy Luck turfed Tony Law out one night and he came back next week with Derek to sort us out ha !

Sorry been quiet on thread arrived to find me mum in hospital so been busy see ya all Friday best John

ps i am glad i bought the sun with me

pps Great thread and txs to all all have made it so

Some great stories on here...All well before my time but really good to learn more about The Rock / Mecca / Wigan era and the sort of 45's played and how these shaped the nights locally in terms of what still gets played and enjoyed now.

Johnny Warren is on Banbury Internet Radio this Tuesday night between 8 to 10 if anyone is interested and wants to log on to listen to some of the 45's he brought with him all the way from Oz whilst he's back here this month (and guessing some of which will also be played at The Ark this Friday eve!).

Looking forward to Friday for what should be another cracking night at The Ark here in sunny Higham Ferrers, and thanks again for asking me to "warm the kit up" with a dozen or so great tunes early doors. :thumbsup:

Steve playing most i want be playing ha ie DOLLY PARTON ( I KID YOU NOT !) love it Diamond Joe love it Karen Brooks a an Illusions obscure out New york the superb Chuck Henley and plan to finish with the bobby genty i walked away instro & the i walked away edited acetate .

Talking of the rock me & Andy Luck turfed Tony Law out one night and he came back next week with Derek to sort us out ha !

Sorry been quiet on thread arrived to find me mum in hospital so been busy see ya all Friday best John

ps i am glad i bought the sun with me

pps Great thread and txs to all all have made it so

Tony Law and I are both in the same trade and we have been the best of mates for years. I know he was a bit wild back then. You wouldn't want his Dad on your case! he's in his 70's now but not many would argue with him.

Edited by Steve Brown

Just had a chat with John we are both gettng excited now !!! . Here are the DJ times for the night

7.30 to 8.30 Steve Scotney ( includes open decks for djs to try out)

8.30 to 9.30 Phil & Tank

9.30 to 10.30 Karl & Jem

10.30 to 11.00 Tony

11.00 to 12.15 Johnny & Andy .....with the BIG finish !!

Just like to wish you all a great night, sorry I'll miss my old buddy Johnny but I'll be spinning a few myself at Rolls Royce tomorrow. I will be making my first visit to the ARC on 2nd September though.

Johnny - Hopefully I may catch up with before you go back to OZ, let us know where you'll be.

Chris Dalton

Just like to wish you all a great night, sorry I'll miss my old buddy Johnny but I'll be spinning a few myself at Rolls Royce tomorrow. I will be making my first visit to the ARC on 2nd September though.

Johnny - Hopefully I may catch up with before you go back to OZ, let us know where you'll be.

Chris Dalton

Looking forward to catching up again in September Chris , flyers done for this event ...if you could use some mate pm me :thumbsup: