Fania 45 Discography?

boba

• 7 years later...
On 15/06/2019 at 17:42, Morgan Nixon said:

I've been working for a long time on a Fania 45s discography if anyone is interested in contributing please reply here or PM me! Much respect, Morgan

Look forward to that Morgan hope you have listed some of the lesser known cuts that make this such a tremendous logo to collect,would love to see the complete listing when done,also Uptight records also if you are working on that ?

Social source share

Hi Morgan, when I was working for Fania, I compiled a pretty comprehensive 45 discography.

There are a few gaps pre-66, but I feel they might be due to their peculiar early numbering system.

I think Uptite ran to 24 records and they are all listed on discogs.

It's worth noting that #1 in that numbering series appeared on a Fania label.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Dean Rudland said:

Hi Morgan, when I was working for Fania, I compiled a pretty comprehensive 45 discography.

There are a few gaps pre-66, but I feel they might be due to their peculiar early numbering system.

I think Uptite ran to 24 records and they are all listed on discogs.

It's worth noting that #1 in that numbering series appeared on a Fania label.

You the person to ask

Is it likely that there were cuts with reserve numbers that never made it to press as with other labels ?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You the person to ask

Is it likely that there were cuts with reserve numbers that never made it to press as with other labels ?

For Uptite I don't think so.

It was pretty specifically designed as an outlet to get Fania's more soul recordings onto R&B radio, which ignored Fania as a latin label.

Most of the titles appeared on Fania albums at the same time.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dean Rudland said:

For Uptite I don't think so.

It was pretty specifically designed as an outlet to get Fania's more soul recordings onto R&B radio, which ignored Fania as a latin label.

Most of the titles appeared on Fania albums at the same time.

Sorry I am not explaining myself properly today, I meant the Fania label

Social source share

I've just looked through my list and Morgan's and I think very few if any.

There were unreleased tracks, but none of them seem to have been scheduled as singles.

There was also a surprisingly low number of unreleased tracks considering the overall size of the catalogue.

I think this was because the label recorded album projects, and just recorded enough tracks for a release.

I suppose the most famous unreleased project was Joe Bataan's final album that resulted in the mono / promo single of Latin Soul Square Dance. I had a TP of a double sided single, with 'Call Me' on the other side, but it was thought until recently there was no stock copy. But even with that one has now turned up.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 22/06/2019 at 10:04, Dean Rudland said:

I've just looked through my list and Morgan's and I think very few if any.

There were unreleased tracks, but none of them seem to have been scheduled as singles.

There was also a surprisingly low number of unreleased tracks considering the overall size of the catalogue.

I think this was because the label recorded album projects, and just recorded enough tracks for a release.

I suppose the most famous unreleased project was Joe Bataan's final album that resulted in the mono / promo single of Latin Soul Square Dance. I had a TP of a double sided single, with 'Call Me' on the other side, but it was thought until recently there was no stock copy. But even with that one has now turned up.

Thanks Dean

I believe (not 100% sure) that the "Charles" label and "Genuine Records Inc." were possibly connected to Unity, is this true please ?

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know any of these below? These are the only ones I haven't been able to figure out. This assumes 1012 is the last in the 45 numbering?

429, 442, 757, 820 , 832 , 929, 931 , 963 ,

967, 969, 976, 977, 978, 981, 986, 989

990, 992, 994, 999, 1008 1009, 1010, 1011

Edited by Morgan Nixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!