Darrell Banks On London & Stateside

In a recent post I prepared on groovesvilleusa.com/blog I mentioned that the story behind Darrell Banks being released on London and then Stateside within days has never been fully explained (to me anyway). I did consult half a dozen collectors whose knowledge I respect but no one could offer any facts. Does anyone know what the true story was?

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The audio is better on the Stateside, which was mastered from a tape. The London demo is mastered from a mint minus Revilot 45.

I've heard the Stateside and London tape transfers for both, and can confirm this as absolute fact....

Social source share

there is a south african london silver top copy.................thats the nearest youll get i`m afraid

dave

I think that's a 'supposedly' to be honest - I remember it being a very strong rumour in the early 2000's as someone is meant to have found one at Brighton record fair, but I don't think anyone's seen it - happy to be proved wrong

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think that's a 'supposedly' to be honest - I remember it being a very strong rumour in the early 2000's as someone is meant to have found one at Brighton record fair, but I don't think anyone's seen it - happy to be proved wrong

Indeed.

SA London 45s from the period that OTDTYH would have been released out there did not have a silver top - in fact they had the old 'script' top like pre-1959 UK London 45 issues.

Oh, yes, and most (if not all) SA London's from that mid 60s period have a red label, not a black one....

...So highly 'supposedly', then!

Social source share

Indeed.

SA London 45s from the period that OTDTYH would have been released out there did not have a silver top - in fact they had the old 'script' top like pre-1959 UK London 45 issues.

Oh, yes, and most (if not all) SA London's from that mid 60s period have a red label, not a black one....

...So highly 'supposedly', then!

i`m sure i saw a scan of this one.......... might have been an irish pressing. wasnt it on ebay

Social source share

Kev Johanson picked up silver top copy in Brighton, played it at the Rocket 2001 I believe there was a big thing about it, px for Jim Gilstrap on Bell. Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers Billy

Social source share

Kev Johanson picked up silver top copy in Brighton, played it at the Rocket 2001 I believe there was a big thing about it, px for Jim Gilstrap on Bell. Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers Billy

Well he probably can seeing as he is Wiggyflat on here (posts up loads of UK's)!

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Around the mid 70s I went to the late Chris Savory's house on Sheppey and he showed me a single sided, dark green London test pressing of `Our Love is in the Pocket`, what a great coup it would be to have the pair!

Some years back an acetate of what would have been the London issue which was part of Pirate ship Radio London's library went through ebay - can't find any record of it now sadly...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've done a ton of in-depth research on London, all over the world, for a 'Year By Year' series that I've been working on for Ace for the past couple of years.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, the only two countries that used the same (or a similar) Silver Top design that UK London employed during the mid 60s, besides the UK, were Eire and New Zealand.

All other countries that had a London label then had their own variations, most of which were based to one degree or another - as I said earlier- on the pre-ST designs that London used here between 1948 and 1959.

Thus if OTDTYH does exist on a Silver Top, it's likely to be either ROI or NZ in origin....

Social source share

Couldn't stop myself chipping in even though it doesn't answer any of Keith's original posting.

When I was a nipper and still wearing shorts at all-nighters in the late seventies I regularly used to hear about a Darrell Banks black London issue that somebody had or had once seen.

Grown men used to gasp just at the thought of it.

Over the years with no copy ever surfacing I put its mythology down to a combination of over enthusiasm and white powder confusion.

Then sometime in the 1990's this long term mystery was solved.

The copy people were talking about wasn't infact a UK London black issue, it was a South African London black issue that looked very similar to the UK released black London issues of the day.

I've got a sneaking feeling I might have even been sent a label scan of it which I duly posted up in a copy of 'Shades Of Soul' at the time.

Does this story ring any bells with anyone?

derek x

And I don't think it was some sort of label mock up like the Volumes on UK Pama one which I fell for Roy Wright style...

Social source share

Couldn't stop myself chipping in even though it doesn't answer any of Keith's original posting.

When I was a nipper and still wearing shorts at all-nighters in the late seventies I regularly used to hear about a Darrell Banks black London issue that somebody had or had once seen.

Grown men used to gasp just at the thought of it.

Over the years with no copy ever surfacing I put its mythology down to a combination of over enthusiasm and white powder confusion.

Then sometime in the 1990's this long term mystery was solved.

The copy people were talking about wasn't infact a UK London black issue, it was a South African London black issue that looked very similar to the UK released black London issues of the day.

I've got a sneaking feeling I might have even been sent a label scan of it which I duly posted up in a copy of 'Shades Of Soul' at the time.

Does this story ring any bells with anyone?

derek x

And I don't think it was some sort of label mock up like the Volumes on UK Pama one which I fell for Roy Wright style...

might be where i saw it derek. i certainly saw it somewhere as i`m not in the habit of making things up. there was certainly a scan of it . and it did say south africa........ but as tony rounce says i cant be south african as the label design doesnt tie in. therefore i think it was probably irish or even a mock up by somebody to get us all going and lets face it ......they suceed

dave

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

THE STATESIDE CAME OUT 3 OR 4 TIMES ON THE SAME NUMBER-RED AND GREEN WHITE DEMOS

THE REPORTED LONDON STOCK WAS A SOUTH AFRICAN RELEASE BLACK AND MAROON DEMOS (BRIAN RAE INFO)

LONDON DEMOS IVE SEEN IN THREE DIFFERNT DESIGNS-FULLY TYPEFACED

DARK YELLOW HAND WRITTEAND UNWRITTEN JUS 10700-BBC STAMP

OWNED THE FIRST TWO THE MINT TYYPEFACED ONE AND HANDWRITTEN ONE CAME FROM JOHN ABBEY'S SOLD RECORD WHEN HE LEFT HIS WIFE FOR TAMIKO?

1979- JOHN MANSHIP HAD THE MINT TYPEFACED COPY OF ME A YEAR AFTER- £70 ITHINK WAS IT JOHN?

STILL HAVE THE HANDWRITTEN JOPB SOMWHERE-ROUGH COPY THAT

THE UNWRITTEN ONE I JUST CANT REMEMBER NOT RICHARD THOUGH-ANY VIEWS THERE SOULJER6

THE OTHER DEMO ISAW FROM A RADIO NMOTTS D.J-DENNOIS MCARTHY WHO HAD BBC MAIN LIB ACCESS-THE ONLY LEON YOUNG STRINGS PYE CAME TO STEVE ELLIOT SELECTA DISC

VIA HIM, BUIT I DONT THINK HE WANTED TO MISSLAY TO MANY RECORDS- NEEDED MONEY TO BREED AFGANS

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

[quote name='enchantedrythm' timestamp='1310638687' post='160529

THE REPORTED LONDON STOCK WAS A SOUTH AFRICAN RELEASE BLACK AND MAROON DEMOS (BRIAN RAE INFO)

Social source share

:lol: Hi All ... Just to add my info on the London UK issue, I forget the name of the people who printed the labels for DECCA but I do recall reading about the London Issue way back in the 70s and not in a soul fanzine, but in a music trade magazine, where the question was asked if DECCA had pressed the copy as a stock issue, the reply was along the lines of the Demo came out right near the end of there license deal and EMI was going to distribute, Normally the record (Darrel Banks) would have come out as a LONDON issue, but as it was a minor hit in the US, EMI wanted to use it to launch it's new acquisition, And there was no objection from DECCA to argue over this record so the planned issue was stopped and I think there is about 14 weeks between the London Yellow Demo and the STATESIDE RELEASE, ii have never worked out the actual time, adding to this the LONDON STOCK Labels where printed at the same time as the yellow demo labels, now the only way a London stock copy can exist is if a worker got a label and did a 1 off? and although thee is no proof of a stock copy existing, it can not be ruled out, there is a similar situation with a T-REX single?

I rate the RED & WHITE DEMO as rare what ever the answer is All the UK DEMOS are rare but the GREEN & WHITE DEMO is nice it is not in the same league as the RED & WHITE or the YELLOW and BLACK LONDON that does not exist would be worth a fortune, it would be good though if someone had some labels, as the T-REX missing number has labels??

I wish i could remember where I read this, but it is along them lines, :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

:lol: Hi All ... Just to add my info on the London UK issue, I forget the name of the people who printed the labels for DECCA but I do recall reading about the London Issue way back in the 70s and not in a soul fanzine, but in a music trade magazine, where the question was asked if DECCA had pressed the copy as a stock issue, the reply was along the lines of the Demo came out right near the end of there license deal and EMI was going to distribute, Normally the record (Darrel Banks) would have come out as a LONDON issue, but as it was a minor hit in the US, EMI wanted to use it to launch it's new acquisition, And there was no objection from DECCA to argue over this record so the planned issue was stopped and I think there is about 14 weeks between the London Yellow Demo and the STATESIDE RELEASE, ii have never worked out the actual time, adding to this the LONDON STOCK Labels where printed at the same time as the yellow demo labels, now the only way a London stock copy can exist is if a worker got a label and did a 1 off? and although thee is no proof of a stock copy existing, it can not be ruled out, there is a similar situation with a T-REX single?

I rate the RED & WHITE DEMO as rare what ever the answer is All the UK DEMOS are rare but the GREEN & WHITE DEMO is nice it is not in the same league as the RED & WHITE or the YELLOW and BLACK LONDON that does not exist would be worth a fortune, it would be good though if someone had some labels, as the T-REX missing number has labels??

I wish i could remember where I read this, but it is along them lines, :thumbsup: DAVE

The T Rex record is just labels only Dave, no vinyl ever made. It's called something like Christmas Bop.

* unless you mean Ride A White Swan which has test pressings with a matrix for OCTOPUS records but they renamed it FLY at the last minute

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

only 2 weeks between the london demo and R & W stateside demo........................ london 19th aug 66 & stateside 2nd sept 1966.......... where as labels of the christmas bop 45 have been sighted darrell banks uk london has not .if it had been pressed it would surely have surfaced in the last 45 years

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

As an aside,

when was this finally deleted on Stateside ???

As, it would have been one of the first " Northern" records I bought-ordered from the Catalogue in my local record shop-when you could still do such things- around late '72.

Tony

Good point Tony - I could be wrong, but I'm sure I once saw the later Stateside issue with fat lettering, but with a 'tapered' edge - typical of EMI 7" vinyl from 1972 onwards. Would that be right?

Social source share

Good point Tony - I could be wrong, but I'm sure I once saw the later Stateside issue with fat lettering, but with a 'tapered' edge - typical of EMI 7" vinyl from 1972 onwards. Would that be right?

Now, I'm good

but I'm not that good :)

Don't have it anymore, so, I can neither confirm nor deny.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

70`s issues should have the fat typeface and be minus the `sold in uk ` on the center...............any body put up a scan of one.emi started using thinner `tapered edge vinyl in mid 72... i personally cant recall seeing an OTDTYH like that....i would like to see it

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!