What Record Would You Use To Explain Or Exemplify Northern Soul

I was just listening to Carla Thomas, I'll Never Stop Loving You and I thought, well I could present that to anyone and say this is the music I like. We know we're a sub culture but is there any sounds you can think of whereby you can say to the general populous, this is the music I love and you could feel the general populous would at least get the gist of why we love Northern.

Social source share

I would have to agree withe you 100% on those two choices. Super Northern.

Me too, Charades must have claims to be one of the best Northern records ever. However would the general public understand this. Charades maybe but the Van Dykes is a little more esoteric. Question was, what about the general public?

Edited by jam66
Social source share

Me too, Charades must have claims to be one of the best Northern records ever. However would the general public understand this. Charades maybe but the Van Dykes is a little more esoteric. Question was, what about the general public?

Ok if your gonna get serious ....M.V.P'S TURNING MY HEARTBEAT UP

VEL-VETS - I'VE GOTTA FIND ME SOMEBODY

Two that epitomise Northern soul imho :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

for me an absolute cracker....j j barnes...please let me in!!!!...its got everything, great lead vocal....great back up doo doo doo's...and the beat is perfect. oh yes.

Social source share

A record which always blows non-soul scene people away when they hear it for the first time is Oscar Wright on Hemisphere.

On deeper reflection on the original question maybe the single record which sums up everything weird and wonderful about the Northern Soul phenomenon is Paul Anka's "Can't Help Loving You".

It couldn't have been released on a bigger record label and the artist was practically a worldwide household name yet it took a youth cult in the UK to rescue it from the dustbin of abject failure and obscurity.

Maybe nothing else better sums up the idea that it's the sound, not the artist or the artist's racial identity which makes a Northern Soul record different from simply a Soul Record.

Love it or hate it this is quintessential, textbook NS. I would have loved to have been there when it was uncovered.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A record which always blows non-soul scene people away when they hear it for the first time is Oscar Wright on Hemisphere.

On deeper reflection on the original question maybe the single record which sums up everything weird and wonderful about the Northern Soul phenomenon is Paul Anka's "Can't Help Loving You".

It couldn't have been released on a bigger record label and the artist was practically a worldwide household name yet it took a youth cult in the UK to rescue it from the dustbin of abject failure and obscurity.

Maybe nothing else better sums up the idea that it's the sound, not the artist or the artist's racial identity which makes a Northern Soul record different from simply a Soul Record.

Love it or hate it this is quintessential, textbook NS. I would have loved to have been there when it was uncovered.

Think you hit the nail on the head with that one yes.gif

Major Lable, prolific artist of the wrong ethnic variety, and yet damn near Northern Soul Perfection, still does it for me after all these years. Top call

M.thumbsup.gif

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Guest miss nancy

for me an absolute cracker....j j barnes...please let me in!!!!...its got everything, great lead vocal....great back up doo doo doo's...and the beat is perfect. oh yes.

I agree, I heart this song, it is so soulful and I can't imagine anyone not liking it on first hearing yes.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I love Gareth's choice. I certainly cant better it. But when this is asked, I always think

Sandy Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Want You.

Its a dance scene, and for me, this is the prefect dance record.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Great isn't it - one of my favorite artists..

I HAVE THE PLEASURE OF HAVING SUGAR PIE AS A FRIEND ON FACEBOOK, AND SHE DOES EXCHANGE COMMENTS!!!......GREAT LADY.:D I HAD A NICE CHAT WITH HER ABOUT HER FRIENDSHIP WITH SISTER ROSETTA THARPE WHEN ON TV A FEW MONTHS AGO.

Social source share

Javells & No Smoking - Ta Ta Now't To Say :D

Seriously though a couple from me would be Jimmy Mack - My World Is On Fire & Don Gardner - Cheating Kind but if I was feeling mischeivous I'd say Lou Pride Comin Home In't Mornin or the Dells - Your Song.

Social source share

Javells & No Smoking - Ta Ta Now't To Say :D

Seriously though a couple from me would be Jimmy Mack - My World Is On Fire & Don Gardner - Cheating Kind but if I was feeling mischeivous I'd say Lou Pride Comin Home In't Mornin or the Dells - Your Song.

funnily enough, Lou Pride almost made my posting.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!