What Record Would You Use To Explain Or Exemplify Northern Soul

Guest Dave Turner

for me an absolute cracker....j j barnes...please let me in!!!!...its got everything, great lead vocal....great back up doo doo doo's...and the beat is perfect. oh yes.

Great shout. Back in '72 as a just turned 16 year old sprog "Please Let Me In" was the first record ever to give me "a real buzz", hooked after that. So in many ways it was a life changing record along with Dee Irwin "I Only Get This Feeling".

:D

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I concede, you're right :yes: :yes: :yes:

" What Record Would You Use To Explain Or Exemplify Northern Soul ? "

Certainly not FW or The Snake that is for sure .......

Malc

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Surprised nobody has mentioned my all time favourite.

And also one of the rarer classics on the scene.

Del-Larks - Job Opening.

Stu.

Social source share

These

Attempting to select " What Record Would You Use To Explain Or Exemplify Northern Soul " , is akin to compiling your Top Ten favourite ones .

As soon as you have deliberated on the ten , you find there is another one that needs inclusion .

Malc

Social source share

Guest Old Soul

I was just listening to Carla Thomas, I'll Never Stop Loving You and I thought, well I could present that to anyone and say this is the music I like. We know we're a sub culture but is there any sounds you can think of whereby you can say to the general populous, this is the music I love and you could feel the general populous would at least get the gist of why we love Northern.

Just picked up this thread....on my profile my top tune is Carla Thomas, it was listening to this track that brought me back to the fold after many years in the wilderness. However there are many northern soul tunes that you could play to the general public and say this is the music I love, but I am unsure if the general non northern devotee would get the buzz we get from a particular song. The northern " thing" is either in you or not.....KTF

Social source share

Attempting to select " What Record Would You Use To Explain Or Exemplify Northern Soul " , is akin to compiling your Top Ten favourite ones .

As soon as you have deliberated on the ten , you find there is another one that needs inclusion .

Malc

Yep Royal Esquires anyone.biggrin.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I HAVE THE PLEASURE OF HAVING SUGAR PIE AS A FRIEND ON FACEBOOK, AND SHE DOES EXCHANGE COMMENTS!!!......GREAT LADY.:thumbup: I HAD A NICE CHAT WITH HER ABOUT HER FRIENDSHIP WITH SISTER ROSETTA THARPE WHEN ON TV A FEW MONTHS AGO.

Love her version of 'The One Who Really Loves You' on Brunswick. I have been chasing a white Brunswick demo for ages..

Social source share

So many from all era,

oldies two of my all time favourites...

Invitations - Whats Wrong With Me Baby & Fidels - Try A Little Harder

oh & The Javells ph34r.gif

Later on Mello Souls, Diane Lewis, Parliaments (Rainy Day), Tommy & Derby's etc etc etc.........

Social source share

George Blackwell - "Cant lose my head",Herbert Hunter - "I was born to love you". Al Gardner - "Sweet baby".

Eddie Daye - "Guess who loves you"...Cairo's - "Stop overlooking me".

Dean Parrish - "Determination"

Endless list.Not even touching onto later stuff.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest Alfa166

Dee Dee Sharp - Not necessarily my favourite by a long ways.....but to me does sum up the bond of unified collective Dancing in the dark with the hint of aromatic talc in your nostrils and the anticipation of a well rehearsed synchronised clap.

Edited by Alfa166
Social source share

hatsoff2.gifI was just listening to Carla Thomas, I'll Never Stop Loving You and I thought, well I could present that to anyone and say this is the music I like. We know we're a sub culture but is there any sounds you can think of whereby you can say to the general populous, this is the music I love and you could feel the general populous would at least get the gist of why we love Northern.

post-13241-0-17650400-1310251487_thumb.j

Hi All it would have to be this rare UK Nugget in it;s most rarest form a PAMA PRE on SHOCKING PINK PLASTIC, I did not realise this existed as a single, but for the astute ones it does not, this is a rare non PAMA EP FEATURING 2 TRAX BY THE VOLUMES AND 2 BY HOAGY & LIZ "i WAS HERE 1st - HOAGY LANDS "THE NEXT IN LINE" i CANT DO A SOUND CLIP AS THE RECORD IS TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE?? BUT IT JUST SHOWS YOU WHATS STILL OUT THERE, LAST WEEK IT WAS A RARE BUNKY AND THIS WEEK I HAD A RARE BUNK UP, VALUE PLEASE? ph34r.gifMr KILWORTH

post-13241-0-17650400-1310251487_thumb.j

Social source share

hatsoff2.gifHI ALL WITH OUT A DOUBT, IT WOULD BE 1 OR 2 , OUT OF THE RUN OF ACTION SINGLES "MINE EXCLUSIVELY THE OLYMPICS ACTION 4539, WHAT A GREAT PARTY RECORD WITH A BRILLIANT START, NEARLY AS GOOD AS BEHIND A PAINTED SMILE,

THEN FLIP IT FOR BABY DO THE PHILLY DOG, THIS WOULD GIVE ME TE EXCUSE TO PLAY THE GREAT MIRWOOD CLASSICS,

HOAGY LANDS THE NEXT IN LINEM STATESIDE DEMO G&W, RUFUS LUMLEY - I'M STANDING"R&W DEMO, THAT'S THE GOODIEthumbsup.gif

ph34r.gifDAVE WHAT SAY YOU?

Social source share

BOBBY GARRETT - MY LITTLE GIRL - Has everything, strings, beat, great vocals, and I have always suggested it as the perfect example of a northern soul record when trying to explain this scene of ours to someone who has no idea of what "Northern Soul" is, but I have had to add CAJUN HEART - GOT TO FIND A WAY to my conversations over the last few years, the older I get, the more times i hear it, the more perfect it seems to get!

Social source share

That Venecia Wilson record is f*cking fantastic, if people didn't know the history behind it it would be up there in the all time top 20 great records.

I LOVE EM BOTH PETE,

NO BODY TOOK THE BAIT THOUGH .

IF IAN STUCK TO PRODUCING MORE RECORDS LIKE THIS RATHER THAN MOST OF THE STUFF HE DOES WELL THATS ANOTHER MATTER DON'T WANT TO START WW3 :thumbsup:

KEV

• Helpful 1
Social source share

NOW THIS HAS IT ALL THAT DRUM ROLL SAX ALL THE WAY THRU AND GREAT GIRL VOCALS

WRITTEN BY BARRETT STRONG PRODUCED BY CARL DAVIS AND GERALD SIMS

HAVE HAD THIS ON REPEAT IN THE TRUCK FOR DAYS NOW.

JUST MAKES YOU WANNA GET UP AND DANCE

IS IT MIKE TERRY ON SAX ?

MARY WELLS CAN'T YOU SEE

KEV

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Sorry I ain't been back for a few days. Can't argue with 'My Little Girl' which seems to have blown up a few members skirts, mine too. Thought 'Real Hummdinger' might of had a mention. It's got all the smooth laid back sophistication with a driving beat that captivated us. Wonder if it would do the same to others. A woman I used to know, her mother used to absolutely love Tobi Legend that's when it was massive at Wigan meh what do we know. Must admit I expected more Ric Tic etc, 'To Win Your Heart' I thinkl I would present to someone because it is massive. The way the vocal plays accross such an instrumental blows my mind. No 'Queen of Fools' no Barbara Lynne?? No Archie Drell and that was a hit out of the nighters. What about the Poppies? Remember it's supposed to appeal to the general public!

Can't fault any of the choices so far.

Edited by jam66
Social source share

Back in the day of tape-swapping I found myself making a compilation aimed at friends and people at work who wanted to know what Northern Soul was; we all know the thing - "So who's your favourite group?" "What tunes would I know?" and of course "Yeah but that was all over in the 70's wasn't it?"

So I tried to pick ones I felt epitomised the variety and continuation of the music. I put things into 'boxes' to give it a bit of logic, even though as we see in the ever-evolving scene this doesn't really make sense.

At the time I had a few in each of these categories:

60's stompers

70's and modern

Motown

Known artists

Oddities

I guess an updated tape these days would have to expand that quite a lot, stuff like Jazzy, Latin, R&B, Funk, Crossover, Shufflers, House and a whole lot more. To be honest it just means that you get closer and closer to just saying each sound is unique and unless you're into it there's no verbal description that fully captures what makes one record work and others get ignored.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!