News: Gloria Jones, Jimmy Mcfarland And The Tiaras CD

• Replies 44
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Well done Lou Five Great songs And glorias original version is great hope you get great sales and look forward to more any news on putting glorias and another on 45s Harry The Right Track soul show

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The 'Gone With The Wind...' is really nice but it sounds as though it's by the 'other' Gloria Jones, i.e the sometime member of the Blossoms who recorded as the Victorians, Gloria Melbourne and under lots of other names in the early-mid 60s, rather than she of 'Tainted Love' fame...

Social source share

Guest Paul

The 'Gone With The Wind...' is really nice but it sounds as though it's by the 'other' Gloria Jones, i.e the sometime member of the Blossoms who recorded as the Victorians, Gloria Melbourne and under lots of other names in the early-mid 60s, rather than she of 'Tainted Love' fame...

Hello Tony, that's interesting but it's the real Gloria Jones. Lou was in touch with her again before he made this track available.

It was the first version of 'Gone With The Wind Is My Love' but at the time Lou couldn't reach an agreement with her manager Ed Cobb so he cut it on Rita Graham instead - and Ed Cobb took Gloria to Capitol Records.

And I assume that's why there isn't another Gloria Jones track for a flip side.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

I presume downloads will be available on the 15th.

I did a quick look for some soundfiles but unfortunately couldn't find any. I'll buy the downloads me thinks.

The official release date is next Friday (July 15th).

MP3s will then be available from Lou's website and from CDbaby who will also sell physical CDs, as will Kunaki.com

Paul

Social source share

What article ?

You should order an MP3 before they sell out.

:thumbsup:

It tells you at the top of the page in post one, and the article is the Soul Source Article this topic is taken from, link in the first post rolleyes.gif

There is a read taken from Lou's site about the history of Gloria, Jimmy, The Tiaras and the new record label.

Social source share

Guest Paul

It tells you at the top of the page in post one, and the article is the Soul Source Article this topic is taken from, link in the first post rolleyes.gif

There is a read taken from Lou's site about the history of Gloria, Jimmy, The Tiaras and the new record label.

Thanks Chalky, it's basically what I'd already read.

Social source share

Guest Paul

The timing of this has turned out to be interesting because of the new Nicola Conte album featuring 'Love And Revolution' which is an adaptation of 'Gone With The Wind Is My Love'.

By the way, if any radio DJs want an MP3 of Gloria's version of 'Gone With The Wind Is My Love' please get in touch.

The same applies to club DJs who play MP3 files.

Paul

Social source share

Is it just my defective hearing or does anybody else hear an echo of a slowed down rhythm track of Eddie Parkers' . "I'm Gone" when listening to the Tiaras - "Love's made a connection" .... well in parts anyway if one is clutching at straws !!!

Andy

Social source share

Just got the Album from Cdbaby - Quite like the two takes from Jimmy McFarland - On first play, (apart from the intro) I can't tell the difference, but I'm sure that after a few plays the differences will be apparent. There's nearly an extra minute on the Orig version for a start.

I think the Gloria & Tiaras - Gone With The Wind is great.

Thanks Lou

Now then, what about the Instrumental of Blowing My Mind ...

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Just got the Album from Cdbaby - Quite like the two takes from Jimmy McFarland - On first play, (apart from the intro) I can't tell the difference, but I'm sure that after a few plays the differences will be apparent. There's nearly an extra minute on the Orig version for a start.

I think the Gloria & Tiaras - Gone With The Wind is great.

Thanks Lou

Now then, what about the Instrumental of Blowing My Mind ...

Cheers

Mick

mick,

that extra minute you mention will be identicle to the 99 joe boy issue of rita & the tiara's

rob

Social source share

mick,

that extra minute you mention will be identicle to the 99 joe boy issue of rita & the tiara's

rob

Rob,

It was the Jimmy McFarland I meant - One version is much longer - The first verse and chorus have been repeated.

Apart from the two different Intro's, and this first verse loop, the two versions are absolutely identical, so it would appear there is no 60's recording of this after all ... at least not on this CD.

I like this new recording, and the new recording of Gone With The Wind is also good (this is the full version, as per R&T / Kent 45)

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I bought the download MP3s. Well pleased. $7.50 for all the songs is more than fairly priced.

And just to point it out: the Gloria Jones take of Gone With The Wind is NOT the stereo extendend version that came out on Joy Boy. Completely different versions.

PS: wouldn't mind an instrumental take of any of the McFarland's versions :thumbsup:

Social source share

I bought the download MP3s. Well pleased. $7.50 for all the songs is more than fairly priced.

And just to point it out: the Gloria Jones take of Gone With The Wind is NOT the stereo extendend version that came out on Joy Boy. Completely different versions.

PS: wouldn't mind an instrumental take of any of the McFarland's versions :thumbsup:

i disagree, whilst it may not be a stereo mix, its the same full length version with the extra lyrics that extend the song to almost 2.55

Social source share

i disagree, whilst it may not be a stereo mix, its the same full length version with the extra lyrics that extend the song to almost 2.55

Never said it's not a full length version. I just said it's not the stereo Rita & Tiaras take. It's by Gloria Jones and in mono.

Social source share

recieved cd today and listened to the tracks several times already, absolutely brilliant and affirmative that these original versions came to light amidst 40 years of what we worshipped as anthems, we learn something new every day!

Is'nt that amazing after all these years.........The songs are like new releases and they are.....Gloria and Jimmy are still active.......LouBarreto, writer and producer.

Social source share

Never said it's not a full length version. I just said it's not the stereo Rita & Tiaras take. It's by Gloria Jones and in mono.

sorry benj, crossed wires, yes and cant you just tell its mono.....and,.....ITS NOT EVEN "THE" GLORIA JONES,...HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A REVELATION?

Social source share

No problem.

It's mono though it's some sort of "enhanced" mono giving it a bit of stereo effect. And it's THE Gloria Jones singing!

Anyway, what I didn't know and really surprised me is that Jimmy McFarland is a blue-eyed singer.

Social source share

No problem.

It's mono though it's some sort of "enhanced" mono giving it a bit of stereo effect. And it's THE Gloria Jones singing!

Anyway, what I didn't know and really surprised me is that Jimmy McFarland is a blue-eyed singer.

had an email from richard searling yesterday, he has been in touch with lou and apparently he told him it wasnt the same gloria jones, i suggested comparing pictures but lou surely wouldnt have made a statement like that if he didnt believe it was true himself, so we have to reserve judgement?

Social source share

had an email from richard searling yesterday, he has been in touch with lou and apparently he told him it wasnt the same gloria jones, i suggested comparing pictures but lou surely wouldnt have made a statement like that if he didnt believe it was true himself, so we have to reserve judgement?

The photo on the tracks/cd sleeve is THE Gloria Jones is it not?

Social source share

The photo on the tracks/cd sleeve is THE Gloria Jones is it not?

yes mate, im afraid richard must have been having a brain storm and it threw me!...not difficlt these days :rofl:

despite the deference to go to vinyl, which is understandable right now, i believe its just a matter of time before ady twists lou's arm...preferably by the time of the tower...maximum exposure there, and it will be heavily featured on virtually every internet or radio show you can imagine...for all i know its happening right now...i know for sure kev & richard will be featuring it before the months end

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

It was the Jimmy McFarland I meant - One version is much longer - The first verse and chorus have been repeated.

Apart from the two different Intro's, and this first verse loop, the two versions are absolutely identical, so it would appear there is no 60's recording of this after all ... at least not on this CD.

I like this new recording, and the new recording of Gone With The Wind is also good (this is the full version, as per R&T / Kent 45)

Cheers

Mick

I've listened to the Jimmy McFarland tracks quite a few times, both poor IMO and not a patch on Bob Relf. The intro to one of them forget which as I type doesn't sound part of the rest of the track, sounds like it was added on after, the volume for the intro is louder as well. The Gloria Jones take is very good but I'd like to know when it was done?

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Is it just my defective hearing or does anybody else hear an echo of a slowed down rhythm track of Eddie Parkers' . "I'm Gone" when listening to the Tiaras - "Love's made a connection" .... well in parts anyway if one is clutching at straws !!!

Andy

...........there is no eddy parker insert.....there is some echo on the track..not much......Lou,Writer/Producer
Social source share

yes mate, im afraid richard must have been having a brain storm and it threw me!...not difficlt these days :rofl:

despite the deference to go to vinyl, which is understandable right now, i believe its just a matter of time before ady twists lou's arm...preferably by the time of the tower...maximum exposure there, and it will be heavily featured on virtually every internet or radio show you can imagine...for all i know its happening right now...i know for sure kev & richard will be featuring it before the months end

It's for real..it is Gloria Jones...I should know...got it from Gloria........................Lou

Social source share

I've listened to the Jimmy McFarland tracks quite a few times, both poor IMO and not a patch on Bob Relf. The intro to one of them forget which as I type doesn't sound part of the rest of the track, sounds like it was added on after, the volume for the intro is louder as well. The Gloria Jones take is very good but I'd like to know when it was done?

the original 3 minute version intro is completely different from the rest of the song...and is the 60's recording... than the 2 minute version....which has another intro..................Lou,Writer/Producer

Social source share

Hello Tony, that's interesting but it's the real Gloria Jones. Lou was in touch with her again before he made this track available.

It was the first version of 'Gone With The Wind Is My Love' but at the time Lou couldn't reach an agreement with her manager Ed Cobb so he cut it on Rita Graham instead - and Ed Cobb took Gloria to Capitol Records.

And I assume that's why there isn't another Gloria Jones track for a flip side.

Paul

I'm surprised that people didn't realise which Gloria Jones was being referred to here as soon as Ed Cobb was mentioned!

Social source share

the original 3 minute version intro is completely different from the rest of the song...and is the 60's recording... than the 2 minute version....which has another intro..................Lou,Writer/Producer

Lou

if you dont mind me asking

are there any plans for any further releases ?

and if so could you perhaps give us a heads up on what may be planned

thanks

mike

Social source share

the original 3 minute version introduction was the original arrangement and is completely different from the rest of the song...and is the 60's recording... than the 2 minute version....which has another introduction which was used.............Lou,Writer/Producer

.......the Gloria Jones tune "Gone with the wind is my Love" was prior to the Rita version...Rita use the same tracks as the tracks on Gloria......the Tiaras did the backup vocals with Gloria.....Hence, The Gloria 8 track recording is the same track that Rita recorded on....hope that answers your question.....The time frame was the same.....same year, about a month apart.....we had to replace Gloria with Rita within a 4/ 6 week period....a long story about the replacement..................Lou
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Tony.......Trust Me, we were in the studio with the real Gloria Jones of "Tainted Love" for almost 3 hours until we got the sound out of her that we wanted, from line to line..........The sound we got out of Gloria was a new sound, a new Gloria Jones.....................Your right....it did not sound like any of Gloria's other songs such as Tainted Love..............................Lou

Social source share

• 2 months later...

......yes we do have the backin track for both songs by Jimmy......not release yet........might release a 7"vinyl with the backing track or perhaps do a license deal with UK company if the deal is right...............LouBarreto
Social source share

Lou

if you dont mind me asking

are there any plans for any further releases ?

and if so could you perhaps give us a heads up on what may be planned

thanks

mike

We are in the process of releasing the original 3 minute version of Gone with the wind is my Love by Gloria Jones

...and the backside of the Tiara tune "You're my Man......on a 7" vinyl record..... might do it on my label or do a license deal with a UK company if the deal is right.........Same with Blowing my mind to Pieces by Jimmy McFarland, both the vocal and the backing track of Blowing my mind.....on a 7" vinyl record...might do it on my label or do a license deal if the deal is right........appreciate any offers by any reputable company in the UK

loubarreto.socal@gmail.com

LouBarreto

Edited by love1scent
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

We are in the process of releasing the original 3 minute version of Gone with the wind is my Love by Gloria Jones

...and the backside of the Tiara tune "You're my Man......on a 7" vinyl record..... might do it on my label or do a license deal with a UK company if the deal is right.........Same with Blowing my mind to Pieces by Jimmy McFarland, both the vocal and the backing track of Blowing my mind.....on a 7" vinyl record...might do it on my label or do a license deal if the deal is right........appreciate any offers by any reputable company in the UK

loubarreto.socal@gmail.com

LouBarreto

Ady Croasdell and Kent/Ace records Lou?

Social source share

Both songs, Gloria and Jimmy's, were done in the 60's...Yes, the intro on Jimmy's 3 minute version of Blowing my mind was part of the original arrangement. It is an unusal intro with respect to the rest of the song...except in the ending bridge where Jimmy is sort of speaking and singing with a string arrangement that reflexs the introduction opening...........The Bob Relf version did not appear until the mid or late 70's or 80's....the intro was removed via an edit without my approval from my original tracks.......and it became popular in the UK and I have to give Bob credit for the popularity................................Lou

Edited by love1scent
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!