Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

There's an inherent problem in breaking cheap records: inevitable overexposure. I'm sure those who first played "Kiss My Love Goodbye" or "Because Of You" or Ruby Andrews on Zodiac or Wade Flemmons on Ramsel and a good few more sometimes wish they hadn't. Everyone wants to be a deejay these days and with such 'ten quid monsters' seemingly everyone was for a while.

LOL, you may have hit the nail on the head there Gareth.

Everyone is a DJ these days. Northern Soul collectors especially. And specifically Northern Soul collectors that have built up a solid collection of great originals.

In my office alone, there are 5 people who tell me they are 'DJ's' which kinda makes me chuckle.

Basically who wouldn't want to be a DJ? You get paid for playing music to a generally willing crowd which isn't exactly like working down the mines. It's a glam gig for sure.

But there's a wealth of difference between someone who merely plays records and a professional DJ who knows what he or she is doing IMO.

I've seen the best DJ's in the world over the last 40 years and the top ones basically play what they want to an adoring audience whlst adding a bit of pzazz to the experience. That's why they're great. We shouldn't get blind-sided by rarity for rarity's sake. A great DJ plays what he or she wants but delivers it with passion and style.

But it probably helps if you have a 50K back-up of killer originals......:thumbsup:

But how many of us have £50K spare for back-ups then? :D

Ian D :D

Social source share

play it from the heart, not from the wallet

You tell em George :thumbsup: ...

Yes i am of the belief that cash alone says who is on the big stage of northern soul on a regular basis.. For now....

Thank god there is a world away from the big stage, the place i have found so many lovers and players of soul music in all its forms from big ticket items to vinyl the price of a fish supper..

A top northern soul dj to me had cudos and near celebrity status for many when we were all young soulies, as we have all mature and find our own sound the big stage can appear as nothing short of a pantomine at times for some folk...

Good topic Ian :D

Social source share

Ok lets say you want to DJ at the best Northern events in the uk . I'd say you would need 25

Top og records for your box... amongst the cheap available ones you have amassed already

Can I ask garethx to list down these 25 wants/needs ( as I know him and sort of trust him ) and then we can go about Pricing them . Let's do a Man City

:D:thumbsup:

Simon

Social source share

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone like Butch, who probably has the widest choice of super-rarities at his disposal, suddenly decided to play a 2 hour set of records that anyone could buy on a normal budget? Butch could get away with doing that because everybody respects his taste and knows that he has multiple mega-rarities at his disposal anyway.

So let's hypothetically say, that a promoter would book Butch on the basis of his reputation and his box of to-die-for rarities, expecting to attract an audience based on Butch's incredible records.

So if Butch then turned up and did a mind-numbingly brilliant floor-filling set of £10 cheapies only, would anyone feel shortchanged or would the promoter feel miffed that Butch didn't roll out the one-offs?

Questions, questions.........

Ian D :thumbsup:

I could understand people feeling short changed if they got something they didn't expect (Lord save us from that ever happening).... but I would pay good money to hear Butch play a set of cheapies that were a reflection of his own taste.

Can't say the same for many of the other household names though........:D

Social source share

I could understand people feeling short changed if they got something they didn't expect (Lord save us from that ever happening).... but I would pay good money to hear Butch play a set of cheapies that were a reflection of his own taste.

Maybe we're at a point in the evolvement of the scene where the top DJ's should offer a choice in terms of the type of set they are booked to play? :D

For instance, had I won that bloody Euromillions lottery last night and gone on the ultimate buying spree I'd probably produce an A4 piece of paper with loads of boxes in there and promoters would then be able to tick the boxes that they wanted for the gig.

For instance, in terms of percentage of a 2 hour set, it could look something like this:-

Box 1 : 25% or half an hour of £2K+ big ticket monsters

Box 7: 10% or 12 minutes of exclusive unknowns

Box 15: 25% or half an hour of established biggies

Box 22: 5% or 6 minutes of exclusive acetates

Box 32: 15% or 18 minutes of big ticket oldies

Box 38: 5% or 6 minutes of exclusive cover-ups

Box 42: 15% or 18 minutes of cheap as chips less than a tenner goodies

Job done. It's called consumer choice. :thumbsup:

You could even charge a premium for genuine one-offs on the basis that every time you play a one-off it deteriorates in value massively. Sort of, "sorry mate. If you want me to play Junior McCants that'll be another £50 due to depreciation......"

Ian D :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Des Parker every now and then plays a cheapie set and by the end of his set he has nigh on sold them all :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

But there's a wealth of difference between someone who merely plays records and a professional DJ who knows what he or she is doing IMO.

I've seen the best DJ's in the world over the last 40 years and the top ones basically play what they want to an adoring audience whlst adding a bit of pzazz to the experience. That's why they're great. We shouldn't get blind-sided by rarity for rarity's sake. A great DJ plays what he or she wants but delivers it with passion and style.

But it probably helps if you have a 50K back-up of killer originals......:D

But how many of us have £50K spare for back-ups then? :D

Social source share

that just about sums it up for me too Ian and no i dont have 50k as back up but if anyone wants to sponsor me im sure i can accomodate say your name or business name on me shirt and on every flyer i could put the sponsor in brackets (Bearsy sponsored by Ian D creator of fine SS threads) next to my name :D

it does not have to be for the full amount but the smaller the amount the smaller the mention you get oh and if anyone wnats to donate records ie- Magnetics - Lady in Green, William Cummings - make my love a hurting thing or even the Parliaments - Rainy day, then i will always mention your name whilst introducing the record so you get all the credit and mention you in my playlist lookback, wow i can really see this as the way forward and before anyone gets any ideas ive patented it already :lol:

pm me for the small print and finer details :thumbsup:

Yep, it's about time we started applying some financial science to this scene. I've just started a Northern Soul hedge fund to back aspiring entrepreneurs like yourself Bearsy. Wanna borrow £50K at 5% above base rate mate? You can use the records as collateral for further funding too......... :D

Social source share

Maybe we're at a point in the evolvement of the scene where the top DJ's should offer a choice in terms of the type of set they are booked to play? :D

For instance, had I won that bloody Euromillions lottery last night and gone on the ultimate buying spree I'd probably produce an A4 piece of paper with loads of boxes in there and promoters would then be able to tick the boxes that they wanted for the gig.

For instance, in terms of percentage of a 2 hour set, it could look something like this:-

Box 1 : 25% or half an hour of £2K+ big ticket monsters

Box 7: 10% or 12 minutes of exclusive unknowns

Box 15: 25% or half an hour of established biggies

Box 22: 5% or 6 minutes of exclusive acetates

Box 32: 15% or 18 minutes of big ticket oldies

Box 38: 5% or 6 minutes of exclusive cover-ups

Box 42: 15% or 18 minutes of cheap as chips less than a tenner goodies

Job done. It's called consumer choice. :thumbsup:

You could even charge a premium for genuine one-offs on the basis that every time you play a one-off it deteriorates in value massively. Sort of, "sorry mate. If you want me to play Junior McCants that'll be another £50 due to depreciation......"

I think you might be going stir-crazy sat at your p.c. pondering such like...

You really need to get out more Ian :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yep, it's about time we started applying some financial science to this scene. I've just started a Northern Soul hedge fund to back aspiring entrepreneurs like yourself Bearsy. Wanna borrow £50K at 5% above base rate mate? You can use the records as collateral for further funding too......... :thumbsup:

yes please Ian i need another holiday and have a few stitiches put in me arse :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I am a great DJ, now who will lend me some records rolleyes.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Sorry guys couldn't resist my attempt at humour..

lending means you have to give them back Jim so just say gimmie gimmie gimmie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

:thumbup::shades::lol:

Your mouth's still OK though innit? wink.gif

you would need a sewing machine to have any chance of stitiching my mooeee up :lol:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

i get the impression by reading through these comments that quite a few of you are south of kettering, judging by the mention of butch and keb etc? so did any of you southern big money spenders frequent any of these venues? TORCH,CATACOOMBES,VA VA,S,MECCA,CLEETHORPES,WIGAN,WHITCHURCH,SAMANTHAS,WARINA,NOTTINGHAM PALAIS,ODD FELLOWS,CLIFTON HALL,QUEENS HALL,HINKLEY[sTAFFORD OLDIES ROOM]just out of curiosity?

Social source share

i get the impression by reading through these comments that quite a few of you are south of kettering, judging by the mention of butch and keb etc? so did any of you southern big money spenders frequent any of these venues? TORCH,CATACOOMBES,VA VA,S,MECCA,CLEETHORPES,WIGAN,WHITCHURCH,SAMANTHAS,WARINA,NOTTINGHAM PALAIS,ODD FELLOWS,CLIFTON HALL,QUEENS HALL,HINKLEY[sTAFFORD OLDIES ROOM]just out of curiosity?

Don't get the connection re-Butch & south of Kettering ? Unless it's a 100 Club link possibly ?

He's from Penkhull , Stoke-on-Trent , a son of The Potteries , and definitely DJ's more upwards of Kettering than below it geographically speaking.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

100 what ? wheres that never heard of it ? lol is that one of them tiny venues in london?

Social source share

Ok lets say you want to DJ at the best Northern events in the uk . I'd say you would need 25

Top og records for your box... amongst the cheap available ones you have amassed already

Can I ask garethx to list down these 25 wants/needs ( as I know him and sort of trust him ) and then we can go about Pricing them . Let's do a Man City

:shades::thumbup:

Simon

Thanks for thinking of me Simon but I'm really in no position to make such a list. Family commitments and commercial considerations have meant that I've pretty much knocked going out on the head, certainly from a niter perspective. Lists like that also act as fodder to the lazy buggers who'd rather someone else do their legwork.

I have seen and heard a few sets in the last couple of years which have been inspirational, and I always make a point of thanking the people involved, which to me is important. Seeing as there really is no money whatsoever in soul scene deejaying these days it's only polite to thank people who have gone that extra mile to entertain you. Out of pocket expenses in terms of travel are usually met, but the cost of buying the actual records is in no way reflected in djing fees and hasn't been for a generation. Maybe something to consider if anyone grumbles about the cost of niter entrance and maybe the widest reason why the thing is perhaps starting to become completely unsustainable.

There are still good niters, but if the pre-eminent deejays are scaling down their commitments then it's actually quite a grave situation for the scene as a whole (if such a thing even exists these days). The scene needs them more than they need the scene: the serious undertone to what has been an entertaining topic. If the elder statesmen depart forever who coming up has the breadth and depth of collection or the necessary skills to replace them? That is knowledge and taste which will in all probability never be replaced. Searling bowed out at a time when there were hungrier, younger replacements to the deejay ranks. Could anyone be sure that is the case in 2011? Food for thought perhaps.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

never went to any of the above venues which in some ways is a shame but i was still in nappies but on the other hand its an advantage too cos im not stuck in a time warp of what was played by who and where, i just buy what i like no matter what genre or cost wether it be a £1 tune or something i have to sell me arse for and i couldnt give a shit what people say i spend my money how and when i want, i dont earn much about £19k a year so not minted but just careful, i live for today and look back on yesteryear as an experience, tooo many people live in the past and wont look into the future so i do what i do when i want to and just enjoy whats right fopr today :shades:

was any of them venues any good i hear they play soul music oop norf :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Don't get the connection re-Butch & south of Kettering ?  Unless it's a 100 Club link possibly ?

He's from Penkhull , Stoke-on-Trent , a son of The Potteries , and definitely DJ's more upwards of Kettering than below it geographically speaking.

Social source share

............... im from gloucester......................i have no money....................i went to the cats and the torch, wigan a few times and other venues.........then stopped going soulin for 25 years.............so the place where i live and where i went to when the world and my life was a differant place is not at all relevant............. ez :thumbup: . i do recall spending all my weeks wages on 1 record when i was 17 tho, so i must be a big spender i spose.....:shades:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

bearsy i gotta confess im on the wind up again just for the laugh ...but i,ll come clean got a couple of decent mates down south in paticular trickster who unfortunately is in hospital as we speak [trickster youre pals in nottingham wish you a speedy recovery] also been down several times now and although small venues great crowd,made to feel welcomed and loved it down there... right am busted so thats me day ruined ...ktf .

Social source share

Thanks for thinking of me Simon but I'm really in no position to make such a list. Family commitments and commercial considerations have meant that I've pretty much knocked going out on the head, certainly from a niter perspective. Lists like that also act as fodder to the lazy buggers who'd rather someone else do their legwork.

I have seen and heard a few sets in the last couple of years which have been inspirational, and I always make a point of thanking the people involved, which to me is important. Seeing as there really is no money whatsoever in soul scene deejaying these days it's only polite to thank people who have gone that extra mile to entertain you. Out of pocket expenses in terms of travel are usually met, but the cost of buying the actual records is in no way reflected in djing fees and hasn't been for a generation. Maybe something to consider if anyone grumbles about the cost of niter entrance and maybe the widest reason why the thing is perhaps starting to become completely unsustainable.

There are still good niters, but if the pre-eminent deejays are scaling down their commitments then it's actually quite a grave situation for the scene as a whole (if such a thing even exists these days). The scene needs them more than they need the scene: the serious undertone to what has been an entertaining topic. If the elder statesmen depart forever who coming up has the breadth and depth of collection or the necessary skills to replace them? That is knowledge and taste which will in all probability never be replaced. Searling bowed out at a time when there were hungrier, younger replacements to the deejay ranks. Could anyone be sure that is the case in 2011? Food for thought perhaps.

Fair play Gareth . And yes your last comments are indeed food for thought . Then again , the oldies fans look like they can go on forever :thumbup:

Social source share

is that youre good self miss jo wallace? if so let me know ? ktf.

Do you mean Bitchdj? - cos that isnt Jo Wallace.Get yourself onto Sales Tommo.Ive got a small batch of oldies you may be interested in.Cheap starters.Originals.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

kev will have a look in a mo ? is any of you lot attending the alfreton all dayer this sunday or stoke nighter ? would love to meet you and have a chin wag .. ktf tommo.

Social source share

never went to any of the above venues which in some ways is a shame but i was still in nappies but on the other hand its an advantage too cos im not stuck in a time warp of what was played by who and where, i just buy what i like no matter what genre or cost wether it be a £1 tune or something i have to sell me arse for and i couldnt give a shit what people say i spend my money how and when i want, i dont earn much about £19k a year so not minted but just careful, i live for today and look back on yesteryear as an experience, tooo many people live in the past and wont look into the future so i do what i do when i want to and just enjoy whats right fopr today :lol:

was any of them venues any good i hear they play soul music oop norf :shades:

Bearsy, the one and only time I've had the pleasure of hearing you play I was on the on the floor most of the set. :thumbup: Mind you, I was dancing with me back to the wall which is just as well in hindsight!l! :lol:

Social source share

The oldies scene could probably survive without deejays as such.

Stick a couple of i-pods on stage and employ a silver-tongued compere to read requests and reminiscences and that should suffice. Throw in an hour of bingo and a chicken supper and it's starting to look very commercially viable.

Social source share

Stick a couple of i-pods on stage and employ a silver-tongued compere to read requests and reminiscences and that should suffice. Throw in an hour of bingo and a chicken supper and it's starting to look very commercially viable.

Don't foeget the BIG SCREENS playing old Wigan dancers :shades:

P.s

Can't decide if they are patronising or some kind of subliminal way of encouraging folk to get up and dance :thumbup:

Social source share

.......great idea especially if you could do a tour of Northern Soul Retirement Communities. :thumbup:

Mmmm. I've already got a couple of lappy's with over 50,000 tunes on 'em, I regularly give lectures to music colleges and academies, I'm an ex Northern Soul DJ from the 70's with hours and hours worth of amusing anecdotes, I did Bingo calling @ Dewsbury Bingo Hall when I was a youngster and I'm quite partial to chicken..............

This job's got my name on it Gareth! When do I start? :shades:

Social source share

No sorry Ian . You are going to have to learn some IT skills yourself one day . Plus it actually sounds like a dire fate , no wonder people are giving up :lol:

Well I can certainly type better than you Simon. :thumbup:

The thing is that the 'baby boomers' from the 50's (who became teenage Northern Soulers in the late 60's and 70's) are all coming up to their 60's now. In fact there'll soon be more over 60's than under 60's, so someone will have to entertain 'em and probably on their patch since older people don't travel so well and generally don't dance their asses off 'til 8.00am.

It's the future mate. Who needs kids when your core audience is 65 ay?

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

I've been collecting and deejaying since l was 18, buying records on the scene has always

been somewhat "exclusive" but some of the prices l've seen for records lately are what

l'd call "absolute fictional" yes, a lot of 'em ARE rare and obscure and to be honest,

that's ALL they are. My answer to the question of affordability is, if you want to be

a deejay at today's prices is. .buy carefully!!

Tony Warot.

Social source share

Butch from Stoke, Keb is Scottish, dunno what that has to do with being southerners? What does the venues you frequented have to do with collecting and deejaying?

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Butch from Stoke, Keb is Scottish, dunno what that has to do with being southerners?   What does the venues you frequented have to do with collecting and deejaying?

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

i see from some other post ive read , im speaking to one of the top men on this soul source site [mods] i do beleive? im honoured.I am very well aware that butch is from stoke wich incidently is less than an hour from me!and my hearing is quite in working order i know keb is a scottsman,and i remember keb introducing a lot of new stuff back in the day at the nottingham odd fellows soul club aka central england soul club in leicester.Just that ive read comments on here and i get the impression keb and butch are quite high in esteem in the london area correct? also the few times i have been down there ive seen a few of kebs clones trying to immitate his moves...now unless im mistaken ? i do beleive venues i regularly frequent have dealers selling records, and collectors in attendance, also dj,s coming to listen,so you see chalky it does have something to do with venues ive mentioned... i see by youre age youre a whipper snapper on the scene! and i bet deep down youre dissapointed on missing some of the biggest nighters back in the day?now by youre nickname chalky you wouldnt have a few for sale by anychance? p.s. no disrespect to any of you from london way on here ive been treated very well down there,my last visit was for the tsunami appeal hosted by me mate trickster...just dont want some whipper snapper on here trying to think he,s clever with me, i have wound a few up in a bit of fun... but reading between the lines i do know most of you are decent folks so i intend to stop it and give you the respect you deserve...ktf.

Social source share

I am a great DJ, now who will lend me some records rolleyes.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Sorry guys couldn't resist my attempt at humour..

ignore me i`m just working out how this quote/ multi quote stuff works

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!