Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

Well Mr Dewhurst i have been reading this thread with intrest and taking on board all the posts just to get a general feel where its coming from and now seems like a good time to respond, Firstly i dont believe the audience and way of life is there for a newby to make it as a top dj, just look at the age difference attending soul nights etc, in fact is there groups of 14 to 3o year olds having soul nites down the local church hall/community centre ? i think not, drugs have been replaced by drink, attendance been frittered away by age and life, so what was once a dance scene is now a social nite out, the music has been pigeon holed into sub categorys croosover/modern/deep/newies/ oldies etc which has created seperate venues rather than across the board, so all this and more taken into account the scenes dying or dead lol, I dont think it has anything to do with money or stage presence etc i just think the crowd and way of life has changed over the years to make it impossible to become a major name that rolls of the tounge, we all could probably name at least 20 people who could put sets together that would be a privalige to hear anywhere but the atmosphere and excitement isnt there any more to embrace and accept in numbers ..... i know i havent written this very well but i suppose the point im making is as long as i can remember guys like searling,sam, guy,keb,winstanley and so many more, could come on at whatever time of nite and set a floor alight ,the sad thing was most were dancing to the dj not the tune, they had a massive head start because they were playing it, ive seen it so many times tunes played by unknowns to a empty floor then played by a big jock to a full floor ? did the record change when it was played by a different person on a different deck ? its the crowd that makes a dj not a dj making a crowd........ anyway in my head i know what i,m trying to say lol, regards charlie

Social source share

i know i havent written this very well but i suppose the point im making is as long as i can remember guys like searling,sam, guy,keb,winstanley and so many more, could come on at whatever time of nite and set a floor alight ,the sad thing was most were dancing to the dj not the tune, they had a massive head start because they were playing it, ive seen it so many times tunes played by unknowns to a empty floor then played by a big jock to a full floor ? did the record change when it was played by a different person on a different deck ? its the crowd that makes a dj not a dj making a crowd........ anyway in my head i know what i,m trying to say lol, regards charlie

I understand what you're saying.

Social source share

Well Mr Dewhurst i have been reading this thread with intrest and taking on board all the posts just to get a general feel where its coming from and now seems like a good time to respond, Firstly i dont believe the audience and way of life is there for a newby to make it as a top dj, just look at the age difference attending soul nights etc, in fact is there groups of 14 to 3o year olds having soul nites down the local church hall/community centre ? i think not, drugs have been replaced by drink, attendance been frittered away by age and life, so what was once a dance scene is now a social nite out, the music has been pigeon holed into sub categorys croosover/modern/deep/newies/ oldies etc which has created seperate venues rather than across the board, so all this and more taken into account the scenes dying or dead lol, I dont think it has anything to do with money or stage presence etc i just think the crowd and way of life has changed over the years to make it impossible to become a major name that rolls of the tounge, we all could probably name at least 20 people who could put sets together that would be a privalige to hear anywhere but the atmosphere and excitement isnt there any more to embrace and accept in numbers ..... i know i havent written this very well but i suppose the point im making is as long as i can remember guys like searling,sam, guy,keb,winstanley and so many more, could come on at whatever time of nite and set a floor alight ,the sad thing was most were dancing to the dj not the tune, they had a massive head start because they were playing it, ive seen it so many times tunes played by unknowns to a empty floor then played by a big jock to a full floor ? did the record change when it was played by a different person on a different deck ? its the crowd that makes a dj not a dj making a crowd........ anyway in my head i know what i,m trying to say lol, regards charlie

Good post Charlie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good point Charlie. As many people keep pointing out, it's a very different scene these days and, as you say, much more fragmented with a much more diverse set of audiences.

I think it's a natural progression and evolution much like you get on other scenes. Exactly the same thing happened with 70's Dance/Disco/Jazz-Funk music which was huge in the 70's when there was less choice and everybody seemed to be happy just to hear all the stuff under one roof and then that evolved into the 80's and 90's and fragmented into Boogie, Electro, Hip-Hop, Acid Jazz, House, Garage, New Jack Swing etc, etc. Consequently people got choosier and the audiences became more fragmented and harder to please.

But your point about the bigger name jocks is a good one. Just being up there in the top strata with a boxfull of killers adds a certain mystique and most of the top jocks have the confidence to know they can carry the crowd with the right record choices because they have an expensive hotbox at their disposal.

I'm curious about something else though. Are there many instances of today's top jocks actively championing the easier to find cheapies alongside the rarities?

I mean who started playing Lee Fields again for the first time? How come that common as muck Dolly Gilmore record which you couldn't give away in the 70's has just gone for £350 on Mannies auction?

Sometimes I think it says more about a jock who will happily play a £10 record alongside the multi-thousand pound rarities, but I reckon only some top jocks can actually get away with that, so who are the ones who can walk that particular tightrope?

Ian D :D

Social source share

I'm curious about something else though. Are there many instances of today's top jocks actively championing the easier to find cheapies alongside the rarities?

I mean who started playing Lee Fields again for the first time? How come that common as muck Dolly Gilmore record which you couldn't give away in the 70's has just gone for £350 on Mannies auction?

Couldn't answer the first part of your question Ian. Others will know better if 'top' jocks are spinning cheapies.

I think it was Butch who spun the Lee Fields to popularity but I'm sure there were others and plenty of them who have spun this but not got the acclaim or recognition that Butch gets when he spins a particular 45.

Dolly Gilmore might have been common as muck in the 70s but it ain't these days as you could say about hundreds of records which were about in plentiful supply in the 70s but are now tucked away in collections etc. which now command fair old high prices.

Social source share

Well Ian i wish i could write as eliquently as you lol (i think i shoulda looked that word up in the dictionary b4 writing it) :) Anyway to respond to your question of who could get away with a £10 record in amongst a boxfull of ultra rare stuff, Soul sam would be the first name to come to mind playing things like the bamboos, tighten up at lifeline followed by william cummings make my love a hurting thing would be a gr8 example ...... on listening to both tracks i can see how they work, one a all time classic tune which is a personal fave and the other a stomping take on a Archie bell anthem which just oozes life and energy, hats off to the man who i dont always enjoy but always respect, hope that helped , look forward to your company again, regards charlie

Social source share

Just a belated thought to add to previous rantings, i,ve gotta say that theres not many places i go which hold that electric atmosphere we used to all take for granted, in recent years ive been to many nights over the country and they,ve been very flat although some of the music has been outstanding , without naming some of the so called bigger nights i have to say that lifeline in particuliar held that magic mix of atmoshere music and attendance, also the djs seemed to play to the crowd mixing monsters with lesser known and it worked well, but it was the crowd that made that work the dj bounced of the crowd and vice versa, not many places got that now unfortunatley ............ easy to do with a big night billed as an oldies night and playing top 500 but ver near impossible to do with across the board take it as it comes policy, HATS OFF TO LIFELINE, youve cracked it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Couldn't answer the first part of your question Ian. Others will know better if 'top' jocks are spinning cheapies.

I think it was Butch who spun the Lee Fields to popularity but I'm sure there were others and plenty of them who have spun this but not got the acclaim or recognition that Butch gets when he spins a particular 45.

Dolly Gilmore might have been common as muck in the 70s but it ain't these days as you could say about hundreds of records which were about in plentiful supply in the 70s but are now tucked away in collections etc. which now command fair old high prices.

It's very easy to word things in a fashion that makes it sound like ,if Butch spins it ..in a reactivation sense ..all of a sudden everyone wants one and the price rises.

In truth ..it's more to do with people being there when he does it, and how he fits it into his set ,that makes it sound so bloody good again :ohmy:

Thats the mark of a truly great dj :yes:

And let's not forget ..whilst everyone is chasing down the next big thing ..there are and always will be 1000's of great records already discovered that are crying out for re-activation and probably a lot better than anything being found right now!

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I think you're all missing the point here lads..once again you are putting the emphasis on 'cheap' and 'expensive' which I'm sorry to say is twisted thinking

It should always be about the quality of the tune!

Granted..if the record is expensive AND good then you're onto a winner as you might be one of only a few that own it therefore having an 'elusive' sound..but you can't be a good DJ without a good ear and a feel for the dancefloor which might well mean throwing a well known cheapie into a set to get the crowd moving again

There are also Very rare records that still go for peanuts because they are under the radar of certain DJs..which to me are far more satisfying a spin wink.gif

Perhaps I'm talking out of my arse..I do after all play out on the R&B scene so perhaps we are a little less snobby than the soul crowd..all I know is I'm just as likely to see a full floor dropping Fats Domino's If You Don't Know What Love Is than one of my rarer monster tracks..it's all about knowing your crowd..

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

It's very easy to word things in a fashion that makes it sound like ,if Butch spins it ..in a reactivation sense ..all of a sudden everyone wants one and the price rises.

In truth ..it's more to do with people being there when he does it, and how he fits it into his set ,that makes it sound so bloody good again :ohmy:' />

Thats the mark of a truly great dj :yes:' />

And let's not forget ..whilst everyone is chasing down the next big thing ..there are and always will be 1000's of great records already discovered that are crying out for re-activation and probably a lot better than anything being found right now!

Social source share

You've got to try and work out the quote thing Soul Over Easy 'cos it's making your points difficult to read mate. If you wanna reply to something, then just hit the quote button and it'll do it all for you. Let's put it this way - if a hopeless technophobe like myself can do it, then I'm sure you can. wink.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I think you're all missing the point here lads..once again you are putting the emphasis on 'cheap' and 'expensive' which I'm sorry to say is twisted thinking

It should always be about the quality of the tune!

Granted..if the record is expensive AND good then you're onto a winner as you might be one of only a few that own it therefore having an 'elusive' sound..but you can't be a good DJ without a good ear and a feel for the dancefloor which might well mean throwing a well known cheapie into a set to get the crowd moving again

There are also Very rare records that still go for peanuts because they are under the radar of certain DJs..which to me are far more satisfying a spin wink.gif

Perhaps I'm talking out of my arse..I do after all play out on the R&B scene so perhaps we are a little less snobby than the soul crowd..all I know is I'm just as likely to see a full floor dropping Fats Domino's If You Don't Know What Love Is than one of my rarer monster tracks..it's all about knowing your crowd..

ranting_1.gif ......stop bothering soulies and go find a R&B forum :wave:

Social source share

You've got to try and work out the quote thing Soul Over Easy 'cos it's making your points difficult to read mate. If you wanna reply to something, then just hit the quote button and it'll do it all for you. Let's put it this way - if a hopeless technophobe like myself can do it, then I'm sure you can. wink.gif

Being a bit of a technophobe myself,its just occured to me he may be trying to reply via a Kindle.Here to help.:lol:

Social source share

This week the Bernard Drake 45 appeared on ebay for the first time since it went on my wants list five or six years ago. I knew that it would go for money and was looking at records in my own collection I might have to move on in order to put in a realistic bid for it. It finally went for over 22 hundred dollars, a bit of a shock (and not actually that far short of the Nolan Chance Bunky 45 on JM's, a proven rarity of nearly forty years standing). Now the Bernard Drake 45 is not even necessarily a niter record, just a nice southern lilter, but it's an interesting illustration of the apparent market rate for a record which, while not totally unknown, is apparently missing from the collections of many of the premier record hounds.

Hi Gareth,

The Bernard Drake is in demand for the funky B side "The natural thing", which is right for today's scene. "I've been untrue" is a wonderful midpacer, but that's not why it's so in demand. Always been a rare one, so I don't think it'll turn up in quantity as Dave says.

ATB

Steve

Social source share

Hi Gareth,

The Bernard Drake is in demand for the funky B side "The natural thing", which is right for today's scene. "I've been untrue" is a wonderful midpacer, but that's not why it's so in demand. Always been a rare one, so I don't think it'll turn up in quantity as Dave says.

ATB

Steve

Sound very good played out as well, excellent dancer and as you say right for today's more progressive scene.

Social source share

...Beeks ................ I am sure you are a nice lad, but I remember you when you were on here selling ..... Art Freeman slipping around - when you first joined this site, a few weeks later you stated that you were getting into rnb (the dark side you said). and selling your soul - I do have a great memory for words when they are typed !

I could not understand you................... its the fooking same music ..........

but on this thread.........................

You have said 90 percent of northern soul djs are crap

you have said that soul djs are snobs

you have also made out that you are a DJ

What gives you the right to say that 90 percent of Soul DJs are crap

You have your view with RnB , but for me Its a style of soul music ............ just like boogaloo.......................................nothing more

I would never dream of coming on a site like this - giving it the fooking DJ Biggun...... no.gif

There are people on here that have been collecting and Djing for 50 years !

Respect to them

M

Edited by dancecrasher
Social source share

Guest Preems

@dancecrasher all good points there IMO, I regret selling Art Freeman when i was broke as it would sound great mixed in with some " R'n'B " laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Beeks

...Beeks ................ I am sure you are a nice lad, but I remember you when you were on here selling ..... Art Freeman slipping around - when you first joined this site, a few weeks later you stated that you were getting into rnb (the dark side you said). and selling your soul - I do have a great memory for words when they are typed !

I could not understand you................... its the fooking same music ..........

but on this thread.........................

You have said 90 percent of northern soul djs are crap

you have said that soul djs are snobs

you have also made out that you are a DJ

What gives you the right to say that 90 percent of Soul DJs are crap

You have your view with RnB , but for me Its a style of soul music ............ just like boogaloo.......................................nothing more

I would never dream of coming on a site like this - giving it the fooking DJ Biggun...... no.gif

There are people on here that have been collecting and Djing for 50 years !

Respect to them

M

So what you're saying M is that Art Freeman - Slippin Around is an R&B track?

Stop talking utter sh*te

Soul has its roots in R&B..most of the big soul artists started their careers belting out rhythm and blues..not going to argue..but DO NOT try and tell me they are the same..most soulies just don't like it..and also DO NOT try and tell me about R&B which is something I've lived and breathed since I discovered it and for which I have built up a considerable collection of records worth a pretty penny

As for me being a DJ..since I was 16..22 years now and I've played bigger gigs than you could dream about and know more about a set of technics than you know about Art f**king Feeman obviously wink.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

So what you're saying M is that Art Freeman - Slippin Around is an R&B track?

Stop talking utter sh*te

Soul has its roots in R&B..most of the big soul artists started their careers belting out rhythm and blues..not going to argue..but DO NOT try and tell me they are the same..most soulies just don't like it..and also DO NOT try and tell me about R&B which is something I've lived and breathed since I discovered it and for which I have built up a considerable collection of records worth a pretty penny

As for me being a DJ..since I was 16..22 years now and I've played bigger gigs than you could dream about and know more about a set of technics than you know about Art f**king Feeman obviously wink.gif

I have been collecting RnB, Ska and Soul on original vinyl since I was a Mod in the 80s.

Its all great Soul music and the boundarys merge so often.

I just dont agree with you when you say the soul scene is snobby and most of the DJs are crap - thats all !

I know that some of the nicest and most musically knowledgable people are on this scene.

But thats your oppinion, so we will have to disagree .

I am not a DJ - just a collector of all styles of Soul music , so have nothing really to add to your DJ comments .

Edited by dancecrasher
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ....IF ONLY YOUR LOVE OF RARE SOUL AND YOUR COLLECTION OF RECORDS ENTITLED YOU (99%) OF US, TO GET A SPOT NOW AND AGAIN WOULD BE NICE!, THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS MUCH HARD HITTING & INDEED POLITICAL, THE WAY I HAVE SEEN IT GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS:-

• PAYING YOUR DUES - THIS MEANS IN IT'S SIMPLE TERMS, WHO DO YOU BUY YOUR RECORDS FROM? IT'S NOT THE RECORDS YOU HAVE? IT'S WHO YOU GOT THEM OFF, AS TO KEEP YOU AS A GOOD CUSTOMER, ("WHICH MEANS, YOU SPEND SHIT LOADS OF CASH WITH A DEALER WHO ALSO DJs AND WILL KEEP YOU KEEN BY GIVING YOU THE EARLY SPOT AT AN ALL-NIGHTERS")
  • THE IN CROWD - YOU GET YOURSELF SO BLINKERED, WHEN YOU BUY YOUR RECORDS, YOUR LOYALTY TO THE RECORD DEALER BECOMES A LOVE AFFAIR, AND YOU REALLY THINK HE FEELS THE SAME BACK? (THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH FRIENDSHIP)
  • LOYALTY - ONE OF THE BI GIST NEGATIVES OF THE RARE SOUL SCENE IS THE POOR SUPPORT GIVEN TO SOME GIGS OR VENUES, THIS NORMALLY HAPPENS WHEN YOU MISTAKE LOYALTY WITH SUPPORT (PROMOTERS OFTEN DELIBERATELY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR LOYALTY, BY CLASHING A SOUL NIGHT WITH A NEW VENTURE? AND SPOIL THE CHANCES OF NEW DJs GETTING A CHANCE TO ESTABLISH THEMSELVES, OR EVEN WORSE JUST TO SPOIL THE EVENT? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED RESONANTLY TO NEIL RUSHTON ATTEMPT AT DUDLEY ZOO (THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION) AS ON PAPER IT SHOULD OF BEEN A PACKER, INSTEAD OF A NO STARTER? WHY AND HOW THIS HAPPENED ASK YOURSELVES.
  • MOST OF US COULD DO A GOOD SPOT I'M SURE, BUT AGAIN IT GOES BACK TO WHAT RECORDS YOU PLAY, ^I REMEMBER THE NIGHT I PLAYED THE CLASSIC SULAVANS AT THE BLACK HORSE IN WOLVES - PEP DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL, I WAS NOT ASKED BACK TO DJ AFTER THAT??
  • THE BEST WAY TO GET A SPOT AND PERHAPS THE EASY EST IS JUT COME STRAIGHT OUT WITH IT TO THE PROMOTER AND ASK FOR A SPOT, SHOW HIM YOUR TOP 50 TUNES AND SUGGEST A 30 MINUTE SPOT TO START WITH, IT HELPS ALSO IF YOU GET YOUR MATES TO SUPPORT YOU ON THE NIGHT BY STAYING ON THE DANCE FLOOR AND WALKING OF AS SOON AS THE NEXT DJ PLAYS HIS/HER FIRST TUNE, EVEN IF IT'S THE BEST RECORD OF THE NIGHT,
  • THE TRUTH - NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE UP THERE SPOT, SO YOU CAN HAVE A GO. WOULD YOU?
  • TO SUMERIA'S _ AFTER 30 YEARS OF LIVING IN WOLVES, THE BIGGEST AND MOST NOTICEABLE ISSUE, IS IF THE WOLVES & THE STOKE CROWD GOT TOGETHER AND DID AWAY WITH SPOILER NIGHTS, THE SCENE WOULD VERY QUICKLY GROW BACK TO THE HALCYON DAYS OF THE 70s OR EVEN THE EARLY NIGHTERS AT KEELE.
  • TO CONCLUDE - IT'S NOT ABOUT RECORDS IT'S ABOUT ATTITUDE AND DOES YOUR FACE FIT, AND OF COURSE MANY COLLECTORS DON'T WANT TO DJ AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, WHO KNOWS AND WHO CARES??
  • ph34r.gif Mr KILWORTH

Social source share

"THE BEST WAY TO GET A SPOT AND PERHAPS THE EASY EST IS JUT COME STRAIGHT OUT WITH IT TO THE PROMOTER AND ASK FOR A SPOT"

Wrong that 'd', the best way to get a spot is to start up your own night. A lot of the time (not all), events tend to be a closed shop with their own residents and guests, and merely asking a promoter for a spot is much of the time a non starter.

A promoter has to be sure that as well as having the right tunes, you also have the ability to play them.

By play them I mean to please a crowd, use the gear etc.

If you're going to ask a promoter for a slot, then you have to have ammunition to back it up, either by asking him to come and hear you play elsewhere, or asking him to ask another promoter how you did at their gig.

No promoter in their right mind would give someone a slot blind.

Social source share

Wrong that 'd', the best way to get a spot is to start up your own night. A lot of the time (not all), events tend to be a closed shop with their own residents and guests, and merely asking a promoter for a spot is much of the time a non starter.

A promoter has to be sure that as well as having the right tunes, you also have the ability to play them.

If you're going to ask a promoter for a slot, then you have to have ammunition to back it up, either by asking him to come and hear you play elsewhere, or asking him to ask another promoter how you did at their gig.

or the only way in your case

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

Do you have something against me? 'SM1964'? Everytime I comment you slag me down?

Strange that you prefer to hide behind a username and not answer my PM as to who you are?

just get p*ssed off with old has beens from back in the day, like yourself and winstanley, you left the scene years ago, now you come back, banging on about about what a great dj you were,and how were all doing it wrong , well, the scene ticked along quite nicely without you for the past 30 years, we have met at a soul night i used to run at moortown, when you turned up and started sounding off outside that the dj's didnt have a clue what they were doing and how you the great steve luigi would have the dance floor packed in no time, so, yeah i do have something against you, as for hiding behind a username, my names trev thomas , 128b main street , shadwell , leeds , ls17 8jb....transparant enough for you

Edited by chalky
insult removed and swearing edited
Social source share

Yeah thanks Trev.

What I went on about at the Moortown do, wasn't against you though, I (as you say) had been away for a while and was suprised as to how much the music had slowed down, I was told by yourself I think, that it was because the people that used to go to the nighters in the old days were getting on a bit and couldn't keep up to the pace of the 100 mph stompers anymore, so the music had slowed down to accommodate them.

I also found it hard to understand why when the rare and underplayed was played not many danced, but when a classic was played they did, I was advised also by yourself that it wasn't about the dancing to R&U, and if a few were tapping their feet, that was ok.

All I said was that if more classics were played more would dance. You have to understand that as you say, I had been away for a while and that was the first event I had been to for about 15 years so a lot had changed in that time, as when I left there was no such thing as the R&U scene, or not that I knew of anyway. It came as a bit of a shock to me as it would to anyone else experiencing the same. Maybe I should have done a bit more market research?

I don't have any enemies myself and if I insulted you or upset you on that night I apologise, it wasn't intentional.

Steve

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

"THE BEST WAY TO GET A SPOT AND PERHAPS THE EASY EST IS JUT COME STRAIGHT OUT WITH IT TO THE PROMOTER AND ASK FOR A SPOT"

Personally I don't think anyone should ask for a D.J spot as I think it's extremely crass. Anyone who is 'qualified' to be a promoter on the soul scene should know 'Who's who' anyway. I do think they should also be looking out for 'Untapped' (Up and coming) or 'under used' D.J's though - In my opinion thinking of how to make their particular event a little bit unique, if it's not, why bother promoting anyway?

They shouldn't just be giving spots to mates or other promoters so they get a spot themselves (D.J exchange) I know unfortunately this may go on but I still don't think it's right to ask for a spot - Just my opinion but I always think of Britain's Got Talent or 'X' Factor and all those dreadful wannabes (This may not always be the case and I'm sure some that have asked to D.J may have something to offer) - Still crass though.

All the best,

Len.

p.s - What was the original post on this thread again? lol

Social source share

Yeah thanks Trev.

What I went on about at the Moortown do, wasn't against you though, I (as you say) had been away for a while and was suprised as to how much the music had slowed down, I was told by yourself I think, that it was because the people that used to go to the nighters in the old days were getting on a bit and couldn't keep up to the pace of the 100 mph stompers anymore, so the music had slowed down to accommodate them.

I also found it hard to understand why when the rare and underplayed was played not many danced, but when a classic was played they did, I was advised also by yourself that it wasn't about the dancing to R&U, and if a few were tapping their feet, that was ok.

All I said was that if more classics were played more would dance. You have to understand that as you say, I had been away for a while and that was the first event I had been to for about 15 years so a lot had changed in that time, as when I left there was no such thing as the R&U scene, or not that I knew of anyway. It came as a bit of a shock to me as it would to anyone else experiencing the same. Maybe I should have done a bit more market research?

I don't have any enemies myself and if I insulted you or upset you on that night I apologise, it wasn't intentional.

Steve

i certainly never told you that

Social source share

Asking for spots :no:

Starting a nite up [just] so you can dj :no:

At the very heart of two of 'the scenes' biggest problems as far as I'm concerned:

i) Anybody and everybody with a 50 box (of anything) is suddenly a dj; and

ii) Too many half-arsed events in mostly empty venues boring the tits off people and fragmenting an already dwindling band of potential punters, all so that wannabees can play records to each other.

Social source share

Personally I don't think anyone should ask for a D.J spot as I think it's extremely crass. Anyone who is 'qualified' to be a promoter on the soul scene should know 'Who's who' anyway. I do think they should also be looking out for 'Untapped' (Up and coming) or 'under used' D.J's though - In my opinion thinking of how to make their particular event a little bit unique, if it's not, why bother promoting anyway?

They shouldn't just be giving spots to mates or other promoters so they get a spot themselves (D.J exchange) I know unfortunately this may go on but I still don't think it's right to ask for a spot - Just my opinion but I always think of Britain's Got Talent or 'X' Factor and all those dreadful wannabes (This may not always be the case and I'm sure some that have asked to D.J may have something to offer) - Still crass though.

All the best,

Len.

p.s - What was the original post on this thread again? lol

why not ??? steve luigi does, heres a email he sent me on 30 jan 2006 when i was running a soul night in wakefield

Hi there

Just wondered wether you need any DJs for the Northern night? I live in Wakefield (Stanley), My dj name is Steve Luigi and I am one of the original Central Djs which was in Leeds in the 70s. I used to play with Swish, Pat Brady and the rest of the crew from the 70s scene. I have an excellent collection of Northern 7s which I have been collecting for over 30 years. You may have heard my name around, as I am also a well known Dance dj in and around the Yorkshire area. Let me know if you're looking, I'll do it cheap for you.

Cheers, Steve

Social source share

why not ??? steve luigi does, heres a email he sent me on 30 jan 2006 when i was running a soul night in wakefield

Hi there

Just wondered wether you need any DJs for the Northern night? I live in Wakefield (Stanley), My dj name is Steve Luigi and I am one of the original Central Djs which was in Leeds in the 70s. I used to play with Swish, Pat Brady and the rest of the crew from the 70s scene. I have an excellent collection of Northern 7s which I have been collecting for over 30 years. You may have heard my name around, as I am also a well known Dance dj in and around the Yorkshire area. Let me know if you're looking, I'll do it cheap for you.

Cheers, Steve

Ok, if an apology isn't enough, fair do's, I don't hold grudges, but you are quite welcome to if that's your type of personality.

Like I said, I didn't intend to insult you, your night or the music, I simply didn't understand at that time.

Social source share

Trev I've re approved your post, removed the insult and edited the swearing. Can I ask you refrain from abusing or insulting fellow members and to edit your swearing because of firewall problems with users at work.

The whole topic has by and large been pretty civil and a decent discussion, lets try and keep it that way.

Social source share

Trev I've re approved your post, removed the insult and edited the swearing. Can I ask you refrain from abusing or insulting fellow members and to edit your swearing because of firewall problems with users at work.

The whole topic has by and large been pretty civil and a decent discussion, lets try and keep it that way.

ok, chalky, no more insults or swearing from me

Social source share

Although this thread is 'about done' it's a shame to end it on such a 'sudden' note so thought I'd add again...

In Steve's defence, he has admitted he may have said what he said but he backed it up with the fact he acknowledges he hadn't been out for 15 years and stated he should have done some home work but was surprised at what was being played. I've been in many situations where 'returnees' have spoken down to me and not recognized the fact the soul scene has carried on without them, so he's not the first to do this.

Ref Steve's P.M asking for a D.J spot, as I said in my earlier post - (This may not always be the case and I'm sure some that have asked to D.J may have something to offer) I don't know Steve but he doesn't come across as a 'Wannabe' and his p.m. came across as well meaning.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!