Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

Guest paulf

I was going through my records last night ready for a set this Saturday at Subway Soul, Lower Marsh, Waterloo :thumbsup:. I always have thought I have in comparison no records of substance when I think about my DJ heros - Clarkey, Guy, Keb come to mind in particular.

However I then realise I can fill several boxes a few times over with so called rare tracks, some of which I got from you Ian many moons ago when you lived in Croydon :lol:

To be honest I think there different types of DJs and if I may use Keb and Guy as examples (which I hope they won't mind and if they are on here please correct any shortcomings in my synopsis).

Keb at his Northern DJ heights, probably never had more than 50 records in his box, and probably didn't have a pile much bigger back in his flat. That said if you looked at those 50 - they would have all been covered up, some would be studio discs - peanut duck etc. Keb has often been considered the DJ's DJ with a focus on turning over, but never actually retaining the tracks he made big - he simply couldn't afford to do both that and keep fresh sounds moving on. And I suspect most people couldn't unless they had a very wealthy background.

But it was this real focus and reputation which meant sometimes dealers, collectors or even other DJs might just loan Keb a record so he could make it big. It was all about the dance floor (as it still is).

Guy on the other hand is the Collectors DJ (IMO). I wouldn't like to go into a debate on Guy's overall knowledge but it was/is vast backed up by owning the cream of rare Northern tracks that he had amassed in collection that use to make me tremble with excitement when I saw them :boxing: . In many ways Guy had much more flexibility to change sets than Keb but unless you happened to have the chance to go back in time and visit US record stores (pre-record price lists) then you would find it very difficult to get the 300-400 rare box that is being talked about above at a buck a piece (as I was often lucky to :lol: ).

I was reading a copy of Blues and Soul last night and the David Godin column from 1971. He mentioned how he would get really angry letters from people, including a guy who was really upset with him because Bobby Hebb Love Love Love had just been re-released on polygram and devalued his Philips original laugh.gif . When you think now of the impact of published price lists, greater availability to hear rare soul through CD comps it is very difficult to understand what a Top Northern DJ should really be nowadays. But I think they would include:

- Passionate. Lives and breaths the scene.

- Someone recognised for having great taste - so it doens't matter if they play a £5 Motown record or £5000 rareity.

- A focus on the dancefloor

- GSOH and a personality

- Someone with good contacts across the scene - collectors, dealers, backroom boys, access to studio vaults (Holy Grails)

A lot of these things (in various proportions) take time and a bit of luck, but these in my mind make a Northern DJ who stands the test of time. So can you rock up with a wodge of cash and buy a spot - possibly, but will you get respect and a reputation from scratch. I doubt it. :boxing:

Hope you are well Ian.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

Tommo,you are obsessed with you, and your opinions as to what makes a good night.You seem to think if the dj, wherever you are,plays your requests he's some kind of God,and you dont care if a boot ,pressing etc.But the dj may have principles,may enjoy the chase of building a collection or set that is different from the production line dj's.

Most of your posts are defending the playing of boots instead of orginals.You can build a collection yourself without breaking or robbing the bank - but if you did them you'd become exactly what i suspect you dont like.A dj with principles and integrity.

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

BEARSY,KEV H,GED and to all of you out there, the weekend is upon us so where ever you are just enjoy youre weekend souling, and if you are serious collectors best of luck to you...and i must confess to being a cheapskate be it records .clothes,booze,holidays,i allways want a bargain... so if any of you big collectors have some cheap boots or reissues for sale im interested? kev on a final note you said im obssesed with my opinions and think if a dj played my kinda tunes he,d be like a god to me... well kev my opinion and only my opinion any dj who did the TORCH or CATACOOMBES would deffo be gods to me. Seriously though kev and the rest of you good luck in youre quests for that rare vinyl and keep the faith.

Social source share

I'm not a big fan of boots and reissues and have sold or trying to sell most of them.I feel if youre paying your fee on the door you are buying into an experience.You are buying into 30/40 years of soul music and the direct link to it is the shiny bit of plastic turning around on the turntable.That is your link to the USA.I believe that in the 70's records were dropped once booted.The only way to have them if you were a punter was on a boot or tape or a very expensive original and the links to get them were in the USA which is why there were less deejays.Now with the internet it is wide open and everyone can own them and everyone can deejay.Were there more principals and ethics then by the deejays then?.I know i have seen in print a certain Blackpool dj in print deriding a certain gentleman in the US for bootlegging records.In theory it kept them on their toes and they had to constantly find high quality new sounds but buying boots then you were lining criminals pockets.Don't people get embarrased by playing boots??? I was heavily involved in the jazz scene in the eighties/nineties Gilles Peterson/Patrick Forge/Snowboy etc........no bootlegs or reissues and Im certain Brian Kelson etc on the reggae scene don't spin boots.There's loads of £20 sounds out there that are as good as those big money items..Here a few cheapies in the box....all quality and won't cost an arm The Masqueraders-I Got It, Winfield Parker-Im on my Way,Invictas-New Babe,Total Eclipse-You Brought,The blossoms-Wonderful,Curtis Smith-The Living End,The Casualeers-You Better Be Sure,The Players-Get Right,The Groovers-Bashful Guy,Barbara Jean English-Living a lie,Devastating Affair-My Place ....there's hundreds of quality sounds that won't cost an arm or leg you have just got to do a bit of digging.It's easier than ever now with youtube...no more crappy C90's with mis spelt titles.

Social source share

Great post from Paul Franklin and really how it should be but as we know it's not always the way.

All too often the focus is on a DJ who spends thousands and gets talked about, that in turn creates a buzz and draws people into venues. It matters little that he might not be able to put a set together just the fact that amount he spends will get the no over someone who uses his/her knowledge and puts together a thoughtful imaginative set.

Some of the worst sets I've heard are the most expensive simply cause they were disjointed and didn't flow. Individually great records but the set all over the place. Some of the best sets I've heard have consisted of some of the cheapest records.

Knowledge is a big factor, you can always fall back on that when either the supply dries up or the cash. The likes of Andy Dyson and Butch today, for all the rare records they have are not afraid to chuck in a cheapie....not long before it shoots up in price though laugh.gif

As much as the rare expensive record is king you have to throw in some cheaper stiff, nothing worse than keep going up to the decks to see what a record is and to keep finding out it is beyond your reach.

I also think the promoter has to play a part and begonia to use some imagination when booking DJ's, get the right DJ for his/her crowd and not always go for the cheque book DJ.

Social source share

Even the largest amount of money and fullest box of rarities can't teach someone how to DJ, that takes many years of practice, it doesn't come part and parcel with having a super rare collection.

That would like giving someone with no knowledge whatsoever of engineering a set of tools and asking them to build a car.

Social source share

Great taste, contacts, knowledge, doggedness, intelligence and an unshakeable faith in your own ear.

Those are all far more important than mere money.

We've all seen people with money show up and try to use it to get to the inner sanctum (such as it is these days). It never works for long.

You simply cannot instantly amass a great collection from scratch these days even with relatively unlimited funds.

Even great records in themselves mean nothing without innate deejaying ability. Not everyone has it. It can develop over time but in many ways the ability to play the right records in the right order in an entertaining and refreshing way is probably something you're born with. It's a different thing from merely being a 'showman' or a comedian with the mike.

Social source share

Great taste, contacts, knowledge, doggedness, intelligence and an unshakeable faith in your own ear.

We've all seen people with money show up and try to use it to get to the inner sanctum (such as it is these days). It never works for long.

You simply cannot instantly amass a great collection from scratch these days even with relatively unlimited funds.

Even great records in themselves mean nothing without innate deejaying ability. Not everyone has it. It can develop over time but in many ways the ability to play the right records in the right order in an entertaining and refreshing way is probably something you're born with. It's a different thing from merely being a 'showman' or a comedian with the mike.

Hear Hear!!

Social source share

Well put as ever, Gareth

What he said :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think I'm probably worse than the guys who would buy whatever they could, if they had unlimited resources, just to be a 'top DJ'.

I think I would only go for the stuff I want, including some rocking horse rare stuff. But I have no desire what so ever to be a DJ. I'd just want them for myself.

I can see that would annoy the heck out of DJs, who havent got the record tho.

I'm with Mikey. :thumbsup:

Social source share

it's nothing to do with taste - its to do with where you go...

1) Niters or soul nites trying to attract more than a local crowd

2) local soul nites

If you go to 1 above then your arguement falls down - if the DJ is asked to spin a 45 that they don't have they will not have it weith therm on a boot or pressing!!

If you go to 2) above then boots and pressings are played and good luck to them as long as they keep it local and don't think it gives them the right to DJ anywhere else.

Demo/s ok dave at niters lol billy :)

Social source share

i am aware there is an elitist click on the scene who must have high paid jobs to buy all this expensive vinyl? You obviously look down ur noses at the likes of me? and think i am below you lol... us poor low paid uneducated punters who turn out every week to hear the music we love meet friends from all over and have a good dance... i joined the scene mid 70,s for the love of the music and dancing,i couldnt give a donald duck about buying ultra rare expensive vinyl? in reality you aint above me even if you might think you are? am sure one or two of you are actualy decents folks... if you want the truth pal whilst you were out buying ur ultra rare records i was probably banged up in prison listening to me northern in me cell and still keping the faith...but heh ho thats life

SAME HERE, I'M A PAINTER AND DECORATOR, IT'S A SHIT JOB, WITH SHIT PAY AND WORK SUPPLY THESE DAYS IS WHAT YOU CALL A LITTLE BIT...SHIT, BUT I ALWAYS BEEN A VINYL JUNKIE MUST HAVE BORT OVER 20,000 RECORDS FOR MY PRIVATE COLLECTION IN MI TIME, MAINLY INEXPENSIVE STUFF, BUT ALWAYS SOLD AND TRADED BITS FOR STUFF WHICH I NORMALLY COULDN'T AFFORD. MY DJ BOXES ARE LOOKING QUITE GOOD AT THE MINUTE BUT IT'S BEEN A LONG HARD SLOG SINCE THE MID 80 T'S BUT I FEEL I,M NEITHER SUPERIOR OR INFERIOR TO NO ONE :)

BRI PINCH

Social source share

My partner must be a real oddity then ? He has a large & great collection and absolutely hates dj'ing , he regularly used to do the opening hour / warm-up spots at Albrighton ( for Martyn Bradley ) & Lifeline ( for Andy Dyson ) & the new monthly do at Lord Conyers in Doncaster ( for Mark Knaggs ) , purely because they're his mates . He doesn't even bother to use the mike anymore , since he poked himself in the eye with it at Sheridans , ( whilst leaning over to introduce the next record ). His sales box would be good enough to dj out off and he's done it all on a pittance through wheeling and dealing , certainly not through limitless funds . So there's hope for everybody , just trust your lugholes & "go for it" , there's plenty of bargains still out there !!

Social source share

hey cookie.........all the real folk on here find great stuff without spending , even the top djs , the others aint got it.......:lol: ..............you was right about the r&b ..:D ........good but..........not that good....well mine is....:wub: . but it dont get heard out..... and why dont they ask me to play a few,?????????? they buy mine , then there good......biggrin.gif ... ,i must be a girl !! ......also you were right about lady djs .......but we all knew that ten years ago....oldies guys clinging on past there sell by date................... hope the beach horses are ok.......... re djin money is nowt...taste all ...............ezzie....:)

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

lady DJ's are not mocked but feared :) ...lets face it we have better natural taste than the menfolk...anyway i am retired :D ..i i took a salesbox to the 100 anni and i spoke to a fella after who said he didnt know 95% of the tunes for sale....so really my excellent box of sales would have made a great DJ spot except for the fact that not every bugger knows them....and therein lies the problem......nice to hear from you Ezzie its been a while..

Social source share

no probs... i fear ALL soul ladies.....especially my favourite one...:D .... brill people cos its easy for them NOT to be differant, but they are ... LOVE UM ..lmmmmmm :lol: .... buddy do da in your sales list ........... got it..........tune....lifeline postcast on........sad but smilin.........the differance between the real soulies, ..................sorry its a life style choice NOT a f' in hobby .:) .. and the others is just so evident in this thread ............but they still dont get it ..:wub: i ought to get on here drunk more often, i make more sense.................AAAAAGH .......doh,.............back to fartbook ........

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

I've got one Paul :)

Sean gave me a picture disc for me birthday :lol::D

thumbsup.gif I gave him that in the mid 80s, but to be fair, I don't mind it been handed to the "new generation!" laugh.gif (if if they're not good dancers!)

Social source share

ok im still pissed..FORGET MONEY>>>>>....but have we considered the........... TIME...... EFFORT ............ COMMITMENT ........ HASSLE... ....... OTHERS EXPECTATIONS .............etc some of these guys ,and gals , cookie.....:) ......put in and go through so we can post on a monday that there set was "a bit below par " ?? ....i do it maybe twice a year..in a cupboard somewhere not a big room............ they do it every week .ez

Social source share

Great post from Paul Franklin and really how it should be but as we know it's not always the way.

All too often the focus is on a DJ who spends thousands and gets talked about, that in turn creates a buzz and draws people into venues. It matters little that he might not be able to put a set together just the fact that amount he spends will get the no over someone who uses his/her knowledge and puts together a thoughtful imaginative set.

Some of the worst sets I've heard are the most expensive simply cause they were disjointed and didn't flow. Individually great records but the set all over the place. Some of the best sets I've heard have consisted of some of the cheapest records.

Knowledge is a big factor, you can always fall back on that when either the supply dries up or the cash. The likes of Andy Dyson and Butch today, for all the rare records they have are not afraid to chuck in a cheapie....not long before it shoots up in price though laugh.gif

As much as the rare expensive record is king you have to throw in some cheaper stiff, nothing worse than keep going up to the decks to see what a record is and to keep finding out it is beyond your reach.

I also think the promoter has to play a part and begonia to use some imagination when booking DJ's, get the right DJ for his/her crowd and not always go for the cheque book DJ.

I totally agree especially the some of the worst sets I've heard sentence. Sometime ago there was a top 500 then 600 & now probably top 1000 that some use as over kill with just a few tracks played outside of a given safe box, sometimes this is a shame as some of these DJ's have much better in their boxes but feel that the tracks too cheap to play out.

:)

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

about 10 years ago i was attending an event in manchester, and a well known dj at the time had a amazing play box of massive indemanders, his set was all over the place in regard to tempo , he played mr soul followed by larry clinton and then bob and fred, and so on for the entire set. to me he was playing them in order of value. it turned out later, he was an accountant for a large firm and swindled them out of a fortune to buy these tunes!!!!!, my point is he had unlimited funds at the time to offer silly money for these tunes without the knowledge to put a set together.

Social source share

I was going through my records last night ready for a set this Saturday at Subway Soul, Lower Marsh, Waterloo :). I always have thought I have in comparison no records of substance when I think about my DJ heros - Clarkey, Guy, Keb come to mind in particular.

However I then realise I can fill several boxes a few times over with so called rare tracks, some of which I got from you Ian many moons ago when you lived in Croydon :D

To be honest I think there different types of DJs and if I may use Keb and Guy as examples (which I hope they won't mind and if they are on here please correct any shortcomings in my synopsis).

Keb at his Northern DJ heights, probably never had more than 50 records in his box, and probably didn't have a pile much bigger back in his flat. That said if you looked at those 50 - they would have all been covered up, some would be studio discs - peanut duck etc. Keb has often been considered the DJ's DJ with a focus on turning over, but never actually retaining the tracks he made big - he simply couldn't afford to do both that and keep fresh sounds moving on. And I suspect most people couldn't unless they had a very wealthy background.

But it was this real focus and reputation which meant sometimes dealers, collectors or even other DJs might just loan Keb a record so he could make it big. It was all about the dance floor (as it still is).

Guy on the other hand is the Collectors DJ (IMO). I wouldn't like to go into a debate on Guy's overall knowledge but it was/is vast backed up by owning the cream of rare Northern tracks that he had amassed in collection that use to make me tremble with excitement when I saw them swoon.gif . In many ways Guy had much more flexibility to change sets than Keb but unless you happened to have the chance to go back in time and visit US record stores (pre-record price lists) then you would find it very difficult to get the 300-400 rare box that is being talked about above at a buck a piece (as I was often lucky to :lol: ).

I was reading a copy of Blues and Soul last night and the David Godin column from 1971. He mentioned how he would get really angry letters from people, including a guy who was really upset with him because Bobby Hebb Love Love Love had just been re-released on polygram and devalued his Philips original :P . When you think now of the impact of published price lists, greater availability to hear rare soul through CD comps it is very difficult to understand what a Top Northern DJ should really be nowadays. But I think they would include:

- Passionate. Lives and breaths the scene.

- Someone recognised for having great taste - so it doens't matter if they play a £5 Motown record or £5000 rareity.

- A focus on the dancefloor

- GSOH and a personality

- Someone with good contacts across the scene - collectors, dealers, backroom boys, access to studio vaults (Holy Grails)

A lot of these things (in various proportions) take time and a bit of luck, but these in my mind make a Northern DJ who stands the test of time. So can you rock up with a wodge of cash and buy a spot - possibly, but will you get respect and a reputation from scratch. I doubt it. :wub:

Hope you are well Ian.

Yep, holding up pretty well considering the ridiculous lifestyle I live. My game-plan was basically to live fast, die young and call it a day when I got to 40 but I overshot by 16 years which is just f*ckin' typical of my lousy planning.......:D

Fantastic post Paul. Very eloquent and heartfelt and exactly the level of response I hoped for on this thread so many thanks for contributing.

By the way, can you remember what I sold you?

I seem to recall us exchanging memories of killer records we pulled out of Beanos. This would have been late 80's or thereabouts? Am I right?

You must have got some goodies.............:D

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

and what is wrong if someone wants to spend 5k on a tune, its their money they can buy what they want at whatever price they want, some earn £100k a year some £15k a year, spend to your means and if your fortunate enough to buy big then good luck to ya if not buy to your means or wheel and deal or just discover your own little gems and if its all about djn then beleive in your tunes and go for it, some of the worst sets ive heard was a cheapy set and some of the best sets ive heard was a top rarity set its all swings and roundabouts and its not always if a record is good or bad it really is how a dj puts a set together cheap or expensive,

i agree with Russ too about only djn at a venue that suits what you play but too many will djn anywhere just so they can have their name up in lights :)

btw im available for dj bookings anywhere anytime just email me at desperateasfooktodjandfookthedancefloorcositsallaboutme.co.uk :D

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

about 10 years ago i was attending an event in manchester, and a well known dj at the time had a amazing play box of massive indemanders, his set was all over the place in regard to tempo , he played mr soul followed by larry clinton and then bob and fred, and so on for the entire set. to me he was playing them in order of value. it turned out later, he was an accountant for a large firm and swindled them out of a fortune to buy these tunes!!!!!, my point is he had unlimited funds at the time to offer silly money for these tunes without the knowledge to put a set together.

That's who I was referring to in my earlier post #27 :)

Social source share

you all are giving me a headache. i have to pack records for tonight, but now i'm so confused I think i'll just go to my new arrivals pile, grab 25 & play them in alphabetical order to satisfy the OCD that reading this thread has brought on :D:lol:

The eternal dillemma of the passionate DJ Kris. :)

If everybody put as much thought into their sets as you, then surely the quality threshold would rise overall.

There may actually be a new marketing angle to potential up and coming Northern Soul DJ's. How about a guy who comes along who makes a virtue of not playing anything that's worth over a tenner for his or her whole set? Whilst keeping the floor full and the place buzzing obviously.

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone like Butch, who probably has the widest choice of super-rarities at his disposal, suddenly decided to play a 2 hour set of records that anyone could buy on a normal budget? Butch could get away with doing that because everybody respects his taste and knows that he has multiple mega-rarities at his disposal anyway.

So let's hypothetically say, that a promoter would book Butch on the basis of his reputation and his box of to-die-for rarities, expecting to attract an audience based on Butch's incredible records.

So if Butch then turned up and did a mind-numbingly brilliant floor-filling set of £10 cheapies only, would anyone feel shortchanged or would the promoter feel miffed that Butch didn't roll out the one-offs?

Questions, questions.........

Ian D :wub:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

desperateasfooktodjandfookthedancefloorcositsallaboutme.co.uk

I can thoroughly reccomend this website. You get a starter pack with a current biggie in it and membership is only £12,000.

please take Joel`s advice cos i need the money cos im now skint again cos i bought another expensive tune i really cant afford right now, btw the current biggie isnt an original its a boot but hey who really gives a fook well by all accounts no one on the dance floor does :D

btw Joel i had to buy that tune back i sold last year cos i just couldnt live without it :)

Social source share

If everybody put as much thought into their sets as you, then surely the quality threshold would rise overall.

There may actually be a new marketing angle to potential up and coming Northern Soul DJ's. How about a guy who comes along who makes a virtue of not playing anything that's worth over a tenner for his or her whole set? Whilst keeping the floor full and the place buzzing obviously.

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone like Butch, who probably has the widest choice of super-rarities at his disposal, suddenly decided to play a 2 hour set of records that anyone could buy on a normal budget? Butch could get away with doing that because everybody respects his taste and knows that he has multiple mega-rarities at his disposal anyway.

So let's hypothetically say, that a promoter would book Butch on the basis of his reputation and his box of to-die-for rarities, expecting to attract an audience based on Butch's incredible records.

So if Butch then turned up and did a mind-numbingly brilliant floor-filling set of £10 cheapies only, would anyone feel shortchanged or would the promoter feel miffed that Butch didn't roll out the one-offs?

Ian,

Butch used to do this from time to time, like doing a spot from his sales box, I can remember him doing this at Great Yarmouth, don't think he went over £40, and the audience had no problem as they just happened to be great records.

Best Tony

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ian D :lol:

great question Ian, well you just answered your own questions really and if i was the promoter and Butch played a brilliant £10 cheapie set and filled the floor and everyone was happy then so would i be, it matters not of price to me but most of my fave tunes are rare and expensive and i came to this conclusion why, i have many cheap oldies as favourites but am getting tired of hearing them cos everyone and their cat plays them but the expensive rarities i have to travel to hear and when i do travel and get to hear them they sound even more better when played, maybe one day i will tire of hearing them but by then i would of heard a load more to keep my ears pricked up, im loving a lot of rarer and underplayed nights nowadays and most of the tunes played at them aint expensive and probably most under £100,

how about if a wannabe dj was given all of Butch`s records to do a dj spot with could they create the buzz and put a set togehter like Butch can ?? i reckon Butch could play a Country & Western set and still fill the floor :D

Social source share

please take Joel`s advice cos i need the money cos im now skint again cos i bought another expensive tune i really cant afford right now, btw the current biggie isnt an original its a boot but hey who really gives a fook well by all accounts no one on the dance floor does :lol:

btw Joel i had to buy that tune back i sold last year cos i just couldnt live without it :)

I'm so glad I got a lot of this out of my system by the mid 70's LOL.......

It's an OCD sickness Bearsy.

I was similarly affected for 5 years in the early 70's until an L.A. hooker showed me the righteous path to redemption which was a lot cheaper than collecting Northern Soul records...........:D

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Heard the same "DJ ?" at the Griffin in Leeds.......hadnt got a clue.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I'm so glad I got a lot of this out of my system by the mid 70's LOL.......

It's an OCD sickness Bearsy.

I was similarly affected for 5 years in the early 70's until an L.A. hooker showed me the righteous path to redemption which was a lot cheaper than collecting Northern Soul records...........:D

Ian please dont mention OCD im riddled with it sad.gif but please tell me moe about the LA hooker :lol:

ive done my bolox on tunes this month already and more than i really can afford but just looked in sales and seen a want thats £30 but if i buy that i wont be able to cover my bills this month, luckily i got an arse and there are docks only 2 miles away :)

Social source share

Heard the same "DJ ?" at the Griffin in Leeds.......hadnt got a clue.

That'd that well known fella that went to jail for getting caught with his hands in the till.

Every dealer in the country had a wants list from him, most sold to him too, rhymed with Glad-dick yes? :)

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

That'd that well known fella that went to jail for getting caught with his hands in the till.

Every dealer in the country had a wants list from him, most sold to him too, rhymed with Glad-dick yes? :)

That's the one Tony - SC. Is he now out? Used to pester Sam to sell him stuff - sometimes met at motorway service stations where wads changed hands for rare oldies.

On the same line up as him one night - couldn't believe the order he put stuff on - crowd totally bemused; mic skills pretty much non-existent :D

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Thats him Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sold him the Tranells and True Image,tunes he already had,he wanted them for trading!!!!!

Think it rhymed with Sad- Dick

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Thats him Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sold him the Tranells and True Image,tunes he already had,he wanted them for trading!!!!!

Think it rhymed with Sad- Dick

What happened to his collection once the Old Bill had their hands feeling his collar?

Social source share

great question Ian, well you just answered your own questions really and if i was the promoter and Butch played a brilliant £10 cheapie set and filled the floor and everyone was happy then so would i be, it matters not of price to me but most of my fave tunes are rare and expensive and i came to this conclusion why, i have many cheap oldies as favourites but am getting tired of hearing them cos everyone and their cat plays them but the expensive rarities i have to travel to hear and when i do travel and get to hear them they sound even more better when played, maybe one day i will tire of hearing them but by then i would of heard a load more to keep my ears pricked up, im loving a lot of rarer and underplayed nights nowadays and most of the tunes played at them aint expensive and probably most under £100,

how about if a wannabe dj was given all of Butch`s records to do a dj spot with could they create the buzz and put a set togehter like Butch can ?? i reckon Butch could play a Country & Western set and still fill the floor :)

Hahaha. I'd love to see a situation where, say, Butch would lend his box to a total unknown doing his or her first gig and watch what the reaction is. Then Butch would go on and play nothing but great £10 cheapies. It'd be an interesting experiment for sure.

We keep reading on here that there's literally 1000's of potentially popular records that are cheapies but they really need the catalyst of someone like Butch to actually champion them. In my view there are numerous potentially HUGE cheap records that aren't taken seriously until someone with the right reputation starts championing them seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if we chase rarity too much? Some of those one-offs are just badly produced average records which wouldn't be played under most circumstances but for the fact that they're impossibly rare. So are the clubs attracting lots of chin-stroking blokes whose modus operandi is to gather around the decks to gawk at a mega-rarity or one-off acetate whilst surrepticiously wanking furiously?

Meanwhile the rest of the club (ie 98% of the audience) just want to hear a GREAT floor-filling good-time tune so they can dance their hearts out.

It's a delicate balancing act for sure but sometimes it's more delicious to break a £10 record that anyone could buy at the time and then watch it soar to huge heights and become massive against all the odds. Quite often, they're the best ones, ie, the ones that people actually remember.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

What happened to his collection once the Old Bill had their hands feeling his collar?

I do know............cant post here it was very controversial

Social source share

ive done my bolox on tunes this month already and more than i really can afford but just looked in sales and seen a want thats £30 but if i buy that i wont be able to cover my bills this month, luckily i got an arse and there are docks only 2 miles away :)

Now here's a guy who has his priorities bang on!

Nice one Bearsy.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many Northern collectors who are prepared to peddle their arse for new records, so hats off to you! If everyone else showed your level of commitment we'd be in a whole different scenario mate.

Listen, whilst you're down at the docks you could try knocking out some of those Canadian Lime and Dennis LePage 12"ers to the same audience. Y'know, kill two birds with one stone............:D

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Now here's a guy who has his priorities bang on!

Nice one Bearsy.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many Northern collectors who are prepared to peddle their arse for new records, so hats off to you! If everyone else showed your level of commitment we'd be in a whole different scenario mate.

Listen, whilst you're down at the docks you could try knocking out some of those Canadian Lime and Dennis LePage 12"ers to the same audience. Y'know, kill two birds with one stone............:)

Ian, Hi! Sorry, a bit off topic here, but was it you that broke 'Raw Soul' at Cleethorpes?? and if not who did and where?

Steve

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

There's an inherent problem in breaking cheap records: inevitable overexposure. I'm sure those who first played "Kiss My Love Goodbye" or "Because Of You" or Ruby Andrews on Zodiac or Wade Flemmons on Ramsel and a good few more sometimes wish they hadn't. Everyone wants to be a deejay these days and with such 'ten quid monsters' seemingly everyone was for a while.

Social source share

not read the whole thread, couldnt be arsed....in answer to ians original question....no, you dont have to spend millions, or have to own the most expensive records to become a top d.j. ...roger banks did it, with good taste and good choice of ORIGINAL records, still doing it whenever he d.j.s

Social source share

Ian, Hi! Sorry, a bit off topic here, but was it you that broke 'Raw Soul' at Cleethorpes?? and if not who did and where?

Steve

Nope. I hated the bloody record but carried it in my box just in case I did a gig in Humberside or Lincolnshire. :thumbsup:

Credit where credit's due. I seem to remember Raw Soul breaking via Rick Scott, Chris Dalton and Poke - the Cleethorpes axis.

I think most of us got the record at the same time via Soul Bowl but the local Cleethorpes guys pummelled it into popular conciousness until it became a Pier anthem. Definitely an East Coast tune that's for sure........

Hope you're well Steve. I hear the Central reunion was a killer. I'll be up for the next one for sure unless I get sidelined by the realities of life........

Social source share

Nope. I hated the bloody record but carried it in my box just in case I did a gig in Humberside or Lincolnshire. :thumbsup:

Credit where credit's due. I seem to remember Raw Soul breaking via Rick Scott, Chris Dalton and Poke - the Cleethorpes axis.

I think most of us got the record at the same time via Soul Bowl but the local Cleethorpes guys pummelled it into popular conciousness until it became a Pier anthem. Definitely an East Coast tune that's for sure........

Hope you're well Steve. I hear the Central reunion was a killer. I'll be up for the next one for sure unless I get sidelined by the realities of life........

Thanks for that Ian, for some weird reason I had it in my head that it was your baby. Yeah def for the next Central mate, don't get sidelined please, everyone thinks your doing it :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!