Billy Stewart - (Artist Of The Week)

Billy Stewart

Absolutely love the recordings of Billy Stewart .

In respect of selecting favourite tracks , that is almost impossible , but I will go for these two as they hold personal memories for me .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

how has no one mentioned "strange feeling" and "sitting in the park" yet?

As a yound mod in the 80s Billy was one of the first 'go to' artists amongst myself and a few friends. Remember eagerly awating copies of 'Sitting In The Park' & 'Summertime' to arrive from PJ Ludlams cheapie list to come through. What a sad sad end to a young & brilliant talent.

Is there much or any? unissued material on Billy available?

Social source share

As a yound mod in the 80s Billy was one of the first 'go to' artists amongst myself and a few friends. Remember eagerly awating copies of 'Sitting In The Park' & 'Summertime' to arrive from PJ Ludlams cheapie list to come through. What a sad sad end to a young & brilliant talent.

Is there much or any? unissued material on Billy available?

Off topic here... Pete Ludlam's lists, remember them well, you used to get some real good cheapo bargains off pete, if you trawled through his fifty or so paged lists, ending up with purple fingers from the ink coz he printed 'em on an old "bander" hand cranked duplicator!!! often wondered if he still does them lists...starting at 20p each or 6 for a quid! :yes:

...Anyway back on Topic...

Adore the late great Billy Stewarts work...so unique.

His last 45 (I think) put out just a few months before he was so tragically killed when he drove his car into a Nth Carolina river in Jan 1970 was his rendition of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" here's the 45 edit, but the album cut is better coz its longer.

also here's a Canadian label scan....

post-2142-0-36685100-1310814932_thumb.jp

steve

Social source share

What an artist just truly subline and makes every song his own, one of my faves by him is his version of paul robinsons OL, MAN RIVER quality

With ya on that Charlie mate,someone on ere was dissing Billy's "Teaches Old Standard New Tricks" LP but for me the great man just took a classic and put his inimitable stamp on it!

(ps. looking forward to the catch up at Wkey! :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

• 8 years later...
1 minute ago, 45cellar said:

Not a problem. It's all about celebrating his work.

I get told off for posting on a thread to much lol. I will leave it at that for tonight.

Social source share

I went through a big Billy Stewart phase 20 odd years ago and bought everything I found by him ... many whilst working in Utrecht which had some good records shops on the canal ... dead cheap and many on Dutch only pic sleeves!  I don't think many of his records are worth big money but I don't buy records for their value but for their quality.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, 6T's Mojoman said:

What No Exodus! for me his is the definitive version from Teaches Old Standards LP

OK here ya go! remember this being done as an instrumental by Biddu Orch 1976! ... and what about 'Temptation' also from same LP (and French EP only) not be be confused with Temptation's 'Bout To Get Me.

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!