Grumpy ? More Like Happy

Well what a surprise that was last night , well it wasn't really , but it was. I just knew that Grumpy would attract a fair few people last night but I wasn't prepared for the avalanche of bodies that were present when I walked into the room. It was RAMMED and that's no overstatement.

We had a superb night the evening before so we sort of went in knowing it was going to be good musically, but because we had such an exceptional night the night before so we didn't set the bar to top.... How wrong was that!

I had never been to a munchin promotion before so it was unknown quantity to me, but having said that I knew Joan was brilliant behind the decks and Phil was not far behind with good danceable sounds so it couldn't be anything other than good. Plus add to that Ian C , you just were onto a winner !

eeeem Joseph Moore ... delightful !

Well it surpassed all expectations they were brilliant, played out of their skins , but tonight was Phil's night , my god we had some over arm bowling , with every play it hit target smashing the wood to splinters , yes we were bowled over for 25 of the most superb sounds of which a few were exquisitely unknown to us. I do believe we saw Phil at his best last night.

Can't wait to see the play lists :lol:

We stayed til 1am , feeling a little tired as we had a late night the night before , plus Nige faces a dayer today so we had to walk away early , but I will say every minute of every hour was sheer soulful pleasure last night.

Applaud the promoter and the players for showing us how it should be done and wish you every success for the future, because I am sure this is the first of many future nights for a great club with great forward thinking on plays that exceed boundaries. :lol:

This morning the heavens are weeping with joy in Manchester another top club opens in the North west !

Edited by Carms
  • Replies 47
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Its always a pleasure to hear the Treefeller playing his stuff and lord knows I've heard some awesome spots from him to crowds (I say crowds but to be honest sometimes its been too few to call a crowd :thumbup:) who neither deserved or appreciated his taste or talents. I think last night we saw what he can do in front of a crowd that appreciated his fine musical ear and ability to build the quality right through his set.

We were blown away by the turn out even when we got there at 8:15 it was filling nicely. The record bar was packed come 9:30 and even Rob Smith was there before midnight :lol:.

Some predictably brilliant records from everone concerned. Kev, I loved hearing the Delacardos out loud :lol:

Joan was on form as usual and Ian C threw in a few select oldies into a well crafted set (Sweet Magic and Living a Lie illustrates the breadth he covered).

Dave hit us with almost the record of the night in 'Count the Days' but you couldn't top the Trent Sisters in front of a big crowd through a big sound system (Perhaps a bigger crowd than when it was getting air time 30 years ago? :lol:) Certainly unheard before by many but Roly summed it up as I came off the dance floor when he asked "What the F*ck was that?, It was worth the £5 just to hear that record".

Rob Smith must get a mention too; something for everyone.

So a great first night. I know Sharon thought it was a bit bright but hell focus on the music and any minor (and it was a minor one) issues pale into the background.

Well done to all concerned. Top top notch stuff.

Edited by ged parker

Its always a pleasure to hear the Treefeller playing his stuff and lord knows I've heard some awesome spots from him to crowds (I say crowds but to be honest sometimes its been too few to call a crowd :thumbup:) who neither deserved or appreciated his taste or talents. I think last night we saw what he can do in front of a crowd that appreciated his fine musical ear and ability to build the quality right through his set.

We were blown away by the turn out even when we got there at 8:15 it was filling nicely. The record bar was packed come 9:30 and even Rob Smith was there before midnight :lol:.

Some predictably brilliant records from everone concerned. Kev, I loved hearing the Delacardos out loud :lol:

Joan was on form as usual and Ian C threw in a few select oldies into a well crafted set (Sweet Magic and Living a Lie illustrates the breadth he covered).

Dave hit us with almost the record of the night in 'Count the Days' but you couldn't top the Trent Sisters in front of a big crowd through a big sound system (Perhaps a bigger crowd than when it was getting air time 30 years ago? :lol:) Certainly unheard before by many but Roly summed it up as I came off the dance floor when he asked "What the F*ck was that?, It was worth the £5 just to hear that record".

Rob Smith must get a mention too; something for everyone.

So a great first night. I know Sharon thought it was a bit bright but hell focus on the music and any minor (and it was a minor one) issues pale into the background.

Well done to all concerned. Top top notch stuff.

wow!! what a night,top drawer soul music from start to finish,yeah rob smith played a really good set,gotta admire his enthusiasm,kev,the debonairs,sounded the business,thanks for the soundclip,but, phil threlfall take a bow,premier league rare soul,I'll even forgive you for not playing the stunners :wave: can't wait for the next one

Guest oldsoulgit

Great night with great friends, great music, great place, thanks to Barry & Helen for putting us up for the night, is there going to be another one, cheers Jim & Liz.

What Can You Say That Hasn't Already Been Said Top Night But Had To Leave A Bit early For My Liking, Had A Birthday Meal To Go To Today. Even Got A Call From Phil On The Way Home About 1.15 Sunday Afternoon!! I'll Bet The Family Forgot What He Looks Like!!! Enjoy Your Kip Mate You Deserve It!! Well Done To All Concerned And More Of The Same Me Thinks!! :lol:

Afternoon after the night before and I'm shattered! Very briefly:

Delighted to say that the place was rammed from about 9.30 onwards and we had in excess of 270 people through the doors over the course of the night. (Panic stations at one point but it all seemed to pan-out ok in the end, space-wise). Looking back, maybe the room was a tad lighter than we'd intended due to ceiling [fire regs] lights which couldn't be turned off, apparently. (We did ask and that would be one thing we'd want to address if we did another GS at this venue). It was also very hot and sweaty of course but maybe that's a good thing? Thought the bar staff worked very hard to keep everyone happy which was great.

Loads of people I didn't know came along last night, along with some folk I have the utmost respect for and have known for years; it was equally satisfying to see both 'groups' and the overall sense I got was that everyone was there for all the right reasons and that, along with the music and a buzzing floor, created a cracking atmosphere. Not everyone is on SS obviously and one or two (and I do mean 1 or 2) people did come and ask for some 'classic' oldies. Sorry if we weren't able to oblige by and large but it was wonderful to have folk prepared to give some sounds that were maybe new to them a fair go. No one was rude or a pain in the a*se in any sense and a massive thanks to those who came for a look. Whether it was for you or not in the end you gave it and us a really fair crack of the whip and we couldn't possibly ask for more than that. Genuinely hope you got something out of the night and thanks so much for supporting us. Similarly, to those who lent us equipment, ran around on our behalf, put flyers out, sat on the door etc etc, absolutely tremendous!!!

I thought all the DJs did what we hoped / expected them to do and I honestly can't recall hearing a bad record all night. Again, the right spirit shone through and things were what I've alays thought was the right way round i.e. music first, second and last. (I've put a mammoth list in 'playlists' if anyone's interested; should give a decent overview of the type and quality of tunes that were played).

Finally, just a quick thank you to my mates and co-promoters for everything. Bloody hard graft at times but I hope you agree that the end product was well worth it in the end. (Suppose we'll have to have the inevitable discussion at some stage about whether we do another one :lol: I'm too knackered to even think about it at the moment though).

Looking forward to reading people's views on this thread ... ...

Afternoon after the night before and I'm shattered! Very briefly:

Delighted to say that the place was rammed from about 9.30 onwards and we had in excess of 270 people through the doors over the course of the night. (Panic stations at one point but it all seemed to pan-out ok in the end, space-wise). Looking back, maybe the room was a tad lighter than we'd intended due to ceiling [fire regs] lights which couldn't be turned off, apparently. (We did ask and that would be one thing we'd want to address if we did another GS at this venue). It was also very hot and sweaty of course but maybe that's a good thing? Thought the bar staff worked very hard to keep everyone happy which was great.

Loads of people I didn't know came along last night, along with some folk I have the utmost respect for and have known for years; it was equally satisfying to see both 'groups' and the overall sense I got was that everyone was there for all the right reasons and that, along with the music and a buzzing floor, created a cracking atmosphere. Not everyone is on SS obviously and one or two (and I do mean 1 or 2) people did come and ask for some 'classic' oldies. Sorry if we weren't able to oblige by and large but it was wonderful to have folk prepared to give some sounds that were maybe new to them a fair go. No one was rude or a pain in the a*se in any sense and a massive thanks to those who came for a look. Whether it was for you or not in the end you gave it and us a really fair crack of the whip and we couldn't possibly ask for more than that. Genuinely hope you got something out of the night and thanks so much for supporting us. Similarly, to those who lent us equipment, ran around on our behalf, put flyers out, sat on the door etc etc, absolutely tremendous!!!

I thought all the DJs did what we hoped / expected them to do and I honestly can't recall hearing a bad record all night. Again, the right spirit shone through and things were what I've alays thought was the right way round i.e. music first, second and last. (I've put a mammoth list in 'playlists' if anyone's interested; should give a decent overview of the type and quality of tunes that were played).

Finally, just a quick thank you to my mates and co-promoters for everything. Bloody hard graft at times but I hope you agree that the end product was well worth it in the end. (Suppose we'll have to have the inevitable discussion at some stage about whether we do another one :lol: I'm too knackered to even think about it at the moment though).

Looking forward to reading people's views on this thread ... ...

Phil,

As regards the ceiling lights. I've had this problem in several venues I've put do's on at over the years.

There is simple, and legal, remedy. You can cover them with red acetate film, you can buy from most stationers (I've even used Mr Kiplings trays before now, they work just as well.

Cheers

Phil

Back home in Edinburgh after my trip to Runcorn and soulfully satisfied with faith truly restored.

When Kev and I arrived at the venue, just before 8pm there were a few people waiting to enter, by 8.30pm there was over 50 people in, by 10pm all 200 wristbands were gone, it was hot, there were many dancers hitting the floor and still more bodies arriving. ALL the DJ's played fantastic sets, from The Vontastics to the Vondells and Cash McCall to Johnny McCall and a vast array of TOP QUALITY SOUL in between. Not one weak 45 throughout and I mean that sincerely. Finely crafted sets from DJ's playing to keep the dancers on the floor and the floor busy from start to finish. Forget the lighting, a mere blip. Look more at the posts from people in attendance, look also at the fabulous playlists elsewhere on this site and pray that these guys responsible for Grumpy Soul gather there thoughts, rest up and put another night on this year because nights like this are few and far between.

Have to mention the Spittle family who provided the warmest welcome (as always) to this lonely traveller, also to Joan, Tony and Phil for the marvelous company and to all the good people who took time out to chat to me at Grumpy's. I could go on and on but I won't, suffice to say that I loved it, I am so glad I decide to make the trip south and I can't wait until the next event.

Love on Y'all,

David.

Back home in Edinburgh after my trip to Runcorn and soulfully satisfied with faith truly restored.

When Kev and I arrived at the venue, just before 8pm there were a few people waiting to enter, by 8.30pm there was over 50 people in, by 10pm all 200 wristbands were gone, it was hot, there were many dancers hitting the floor and still more bodies arriving. ALL the DJ's played fantastic sets, from The Vontastics to the Vondells and Cash McCall to Johnny McCall and a vast array of TOP QUALITY SOUL in between. Not one weak 45 throughout and I mean that sincerely. Finely crafted sets from DJ's playing to keep the dancers on the floor and the floor busy from start to finish. Forget the lighting, a mere blip. Look more at the posts from people in attendance, look also at the fabulous playlists elsewhere on this site and pray that these guys responsible for Grumpy Soul gather there thoughts, rest up and put another night on this year because nights like this are few and far between.

Have to mention the Spittle family who provided the warmest welcome (as always) to this lonely traveller, also to Joan, Tony and Phil for the marvelous company and to all the good people who took time out to chat to me at Grumpy's. I could go on and on but I won't, suffice to say that I loved it, I am so glad I decide to make the trip south and I can't wait until the next event.

Love on Y'all,

David.

Great to see and spend a bit of time with you Davey. Thanks for your help and encouragement mate and hope sincerely to catch up again in the not too distant future. Elvis has left the building (but he's still got his key):thumbsup:

Edited by PhilT

well what can one say great music from start to finish

all djs did a great job in keeping the punters happy

spent most of the night in record bar in the company of mace' johnny beggs mickey cruz

and what a laugh a moment we had

just like to no mace who won the bet

well done to all involved

hope another one follows in the near future

sid = bernadette

well what can one say great music from start to finish

all djs did a great job in keeping the punters happy

spent most of the night in record bar in the company of mace' johnny beggs mickey cruz

and what a laugh a moment we had

just like to no mace who won the bet

well done to all involved

hope another one follows in the near future

sid = bernadette

Hi Sid, was great to see you folks again...:lol:

Obviously I won the bet, 13 - 4, playing by Beggsy rules and not by the £.

Though I was told 7 of those shouldn't count cus I sold them to a dealer (Rob Smith):thumbsup:

So, agreeing to 'another new set of rules' the end result remains the same........ I still won, 6-4 :shhh:

Had lots of laughs and took the pissaplenty (as normal)

Thought the venue was great, said same to Kev about covering E-lights with coloured plastic sheets.

Bar was very quick considering how many in there!

Djs did a fine job indeed.

Well done to all involved....you even managed to put Tony Fosters advertising to shame with your 'War & Peace' thread on Soul Source...:lol:

Mr. Spittles directions were shite though......though to be fair, I should have known me way around cus I worked in Runcorn for 3 years.............but as it was over 18 years ago I didn't recognise much of the place to be honest.

Funnily enough, at 4.00 am, full of Newccy Brown I seemed to instantly know my way out of there......you gotta love alcohol, or maybe I was a homing pidgeon in a former life......:yes:

Seems so long since I've heard that heavy Runcorn accent, but it made me smile every time I went the bogs as it was full of local lads from the adjoining room who could hardly stand up ( myself included :shhh: ).

One of 'em tripped on the step up to the urinal and nearly landed face first in the golden trough..........funny as fcuk :yes:

Great nite, Great Music, Brilliant Company nite nearly started bad for me tho when i was drivin thro Runcorn town centre and some drunk stepped out in front of mi car i was doin around 30 mph and Carl shouted look out and i slammed on and just missed the bugger he did,nt even know i was there :no:

Great to see the great work put in by the promoters had paid off with a excellent turnout nice to see mi owd buddy Harry Dennett again i thought the music played was excellent heard some tunes that you very rarely get to hear plus people where asking throughout the nite was was that its pretty good

All the usual suspects in attendance plus a very good splattering of soulies who attend the local soulnites around the Northwest who seemed to be having a ball, it was heartwarmin to see people willing to travel such long distances in these rip off petrol price days im sure they all went home happy..

Many Thanks to Big Phil T, The DJ formally known has Jumpin Joan..Joan Livesley :P Kev & Sharon for askin me Dave & Rob along to spin some tunes for the first Grumpy Soul Promotion :thumbup:

Well done guys all the hard work paid off. :no: You put so much into making this one of the best nights we've had in a long while. We went expecting it to be a great night but it exceeded our expectations somewhat. Awesome records played by all dj's, thanks Joan for Tomorrows men, (its not on your list) :thumbup: There has to be more!!!! please. You got it spot on, cant wait for the next one. :P Look forward to more of the same from Phil and Joan at Burnley on Saturday.

Sandy

Edited by nightfiler

Well it surpassed all expectations they were brilliant, played out of their skins , but tonight was Phil's night , my god we had some over arm bowling , with every play it hit target smashing the wood to splinters , yes we were bowled over for 25 of the most superb sounds of which a few were exquisitely unknown to us. I do believe we saw Phil at his best last night.

I agree with you Carms but I wasn't expecting any less from him after hearing him play previously.... however, there are too many L's in his name so I'm glad I have my own teeth or I'd spit them out :thumbup:

PS: My photos are over at thesoulgirl.com :no:

Edited by TheSoulgirl

Just looked at them , fab night . Yes I have seen Phil play before too but never like this ... I think he held back before , saturday night he was cookin . Loved the James Dockery track in particular it made mine and a few others eyebrows twiddle

Thank you for making going outside so entertaining telling us about your boat escapades and all things hairy or not so hairy lol you should join a comedy club and do some stand up you would be brilliant Karen... I can see you at the Edinburgh festival giving it some.

Oh that was one special weekend in more ways than one :thumbup::no::P

Edited by Carms

Just looked at them , fab night . Yes I have seen Phil play before too but never like this ... I think he held back before , saturday night he was cookin . Loved the James Dockery track in particular it made mine and a few others eyebrows twiddle

Thank you for making going outside so entertaining telling us about your boat escapades and all things hairy or not so hairy lol you should join a comedy club and do some stand up you would be brilliant Karen... I can see you at the Edinburgh festival giving it some.

Oh that was one special weekend in more ways than one :no::P:g:

Was a bit embarrassed shouting eyecandy only to see his girl stood behind him though :thumbup:

• Helpful 1

Was a bit embarrassed shouting eyecandy only to see his girl stood behind him though :thumbup:

I think the lady will cut you some slack Karen it has to be a regular thing ( maybe not so obvious normally lol ) as Grant rather breaks the mould of what is normally seen as the general look on the soul scene , beside his partner is a lovely looking lady and I bet he has to ward off admiring glances aimed at her many times over.

I have never heard the term eyecandy before , very amusing :no: .. got me thinkin Jelly baby lol

Hey Tony are they talking about 'our' Grant when they said 'eye candy'???? :no::P:g:

No wonder you seemed quiet Grant. Bet your head is swelling? :yes: Carms is right Andrea is as lovely on the inside as on the outside. :thumbup:

Think so, but even if it's another 'un

1) It's still pronounced GRANT,

2) It's gonna be his Heywood name from now on..............:unsure:

:D

T

A huge thank you to everyone who came on Saturday. It was great to see so many people enjoying themselves, which is our whole thinking behind Grumpy Soul.

Fingers crossed there will be another :hatsoff2:

Edit: Apologies for my brief post. I will post more later, not feeling too good at the moment.

Edited by jumpinjoan

It was most definitely Graaaant, not GrAnt because I speak properly (hehe) - to clear confusion, his biceps probably measured the same as my waist - big :hatsoff2:

Excellent night, a couple of teething problem with the lighting but nothing that can't be sorted easily. :lol:

Hope you're planning another Grumpy Soul, really enjoyed it! :hatsoff2:

I hope so too; I was worried it was going to be a long journey home but it only took 2½ hours - pretty normal for me and Lindsay :lol:

A huge thank you to everyone who came on Saturday. It was great to see so many people enjoying themselves, which is our whole thinking behind Grumpy Soul.

Fingers crossed there will be another :lol:

Edit: I will post more. Not feeling too well at the moment.

Grumpy Soul 2

No there's a mouth watering prospect. :hatsoff2: Hats off to Joan, Sharon, Kev, Tony and the irrepressible Phil T whom when he got behind the decks blew the place away! (mind you he needed to produce something a bit special to deflect some of the attention away from" that" shirt :lol: ):yes: Add to the above messers Cuncliffe and Smith and you were always onto a sure fire winner.

P.S Leave the lights alone I found two Tena-Ladies and seven quid :lol:

Dave

Edited by Louise

Grumpy Soul 2

No there's a mouth watering prospect. :hatsoff2: Hats off to Joan, Sharon, Kev, Tony and the irrepressible Phil T whom when he got behind the decks blew the place away! (mind you he needed to produce something a bit special to deflect some of the attention away from" that" shirt :lol: ):lol: Add to the above messers Cuncliffe and Smith and you were always onto a sure fire winner.

P.S Leave the lights alone I found two Tena-Ladies and seven quid :lol:

Dave

Sincere apologies Dave, think it was the onions :yes:

Seriously, thanks so much for your contribution mate (and Lou's of course); fantastic!

Fingers crossed there will be another :thumbup:

Edit: Apologies for my brief post. I will post more later, not feeling too good at the moment.

No wonder you're tired! Your contribution to this - from planning everything to making it happen in the way it did on Saturday - has been awesome but then I knew it would be so deciding to run a night with you was a bit of a no-brainer really as far as I was concerned. Get yourself right soon hun :D

I know you'll agree that if we do get round to thinking seriously about doing another it'd have to be even better than the first (ladies loos and lights for starters ... ...). We will defo need all that energy, passion and attention to detail that's for sure.

Hope you're right and jumpin about by the weekend x

It was most definitely Graaaant, not GrAnt because I speak properly (hehe) - to clear confusion, his biceps probably measured the same as my waist - big

It does sound different with a southern twang Karen but Tony did correct you lol. was great to meet you, had a laugh, and the girlfriend was laughing too, :ohmy:

Repeat after me young man..C U N L I F F E...Now go to the back o the class and sit in the corner and Count the Days :D

Please accept my sincere apologies Ian although i bet you've received far worse and lewd connotations of your surname in the past.:lol: Especailly when you've out bid Threlfall on e-bay :no:

Dave :ohmy:

Cracking night all round,well done to Phil,Joan and the Grumpy team.A great set of tunes through the night kept the floor busy,top night!!!.

Bring on the next one folks :yes:

Many thanks :thumbsup:

KTF :hatsoff2:

Ron :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ron

great to meet you mate and thanks again for all your support :thumbsup:

Well what can i say that hasnt already been said. brilliant night top marks to all that made it the night it was, memories of soul nights from mid eighties early nineties... fantastic music all night, busy dance floor, plus busy record bar

Big thanks to Dave Welding, Rob Smith And Uncle Ian you did us proud....

just like to say a massive thanks to JOAN your a star love you to bits, what a set too.. bob and gene (WOW) you still surprise me madam...:thumbup:.

you still have records to die for. Not forgetting Tony, Number one Groupie... ps TONY we have a stamp... not pad :rolleyes:

Thanks PHIL, took us a long time to get there but we did it from Winnington late 9T`s to Grumpy Soul :hatsoff2:

Sharon ever the main support behind everything i do..:wub:

Big thanks to Tony Brookes for the help and support.. not forgetting Dave Miller for the help on the door....

My Opinion : it was my pleasure working along side Joan, Tony, Phil and Shaz, no stone was left unturned to make this a great nite for everyone

making sure every eventuallity was covered

Thanks..........Kev