• Replies 12
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Pete

This one is gonna set you back anything between £150 and £250 depending on quality. Which baffles me a bit, because it seems to be a regular on ebay, so it may not be as scarce as the price tag says.

Its a cracking tune, but will never be the same since witnessing my brother sing it acapela to a crowd of wedding guests at Martin and Caroline Gavin's wedding in Scotland. Even the friends and family were clapping along. TC just cant cut it with that ;-)

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

"occasional rain" ... also by Jerry Butler on mercury which is not as good but nowhere near as expensive (and still really good!).

best

Leo

Social source share

If you like Terry Callier, at least get the 'best of' CD for about a tenner (Finbarr in Folkstone is a good mail order option), and pick up the much better 'Look at me now'.

You can really push the boat out and see him live, as he has been doing a couple of concerts ( a bit jazzy, but he is a living legend) in Leeds and London each year (Ticketmaster.com).

Ed

Social source share

Jerry Butler's "Oridinary Joe" is the original released version on the "You & Me" lp from 1969/1970. "Occasional Rain" and the 45 are from about 1972.

There's a brilliant six minute-plus Terry Callier version from 1968 on the "First Light" CD or lp, released in the states in the mid-to-late 90s. Although I think this may be deleted now it's well worth searching out. I think it's mind-blowing.

He also re-cut a version for the Elektra lp "Turn You To Love" in about 1980. Some people prefer this one. It's a lot more 'mainstream soul' than some of the others, but to me it doesn't have the same magic as the earlier readings of the song.

As an aside I was looking for a single of "Ordinary Joe" a couple of years back. I had some credit with a particular dealer at the time, and at a venue he said "gareth, I've got a couple of copies of "Ordinary Joe" if you want one. One's mint and the other's got writing on the label for fifty quid less." I looked at both. The WOL was Terry Callier's autograph. So much for celebrity!

Social source share

Trust me to pick out an expensive want. There is something about 'Ordinary Joe' that just does it for me. I put a sound rig in a venue up at Bowden in Cheshire last christmas for 'Snake Davies' and 'Jim Diamond' gig and he did a great sax version of that tune live while Jim was playing acoustic guitar. Since Supercorsa identified it for me I suppose if I only ever buy one expensive 45 it will be that one. Unless I fall lucky and cop for a bargain.

Social source share

Laughing.. well if it makes you feel better it may have not been a real autograph. .....................................But then it proberly was...

(laughing again)

Yeah, It was a real autograph alright. I've never asked anyone for an autograph before or since, but for some reason I've got two from Terry Callier. He's something of a hero of mine, and as anyone who's met him can attest, a smashing lad.

I think "Ordinary Joe" is one of the greatest songs ever written and have no doubt that it would be a guaranteed certain number one pop hit if covered today in an appropriate style. I just don't think many contemporary artists could do it full justice.

Social source share

I think "Ordinary Joe" is one of the greatest songs ever written and have no doubt that it would be a guaranteed certain number one pop hit if covered today in an appropriate style. I just don't think many contemporary artists could do it full justice.

See it now some Boy Band on top of the pops......................

.............HELP......................

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!