Acetates - Let's Take A Look

Following on from the excellent thread highlighting unusual releases from around the world I thought it would be of equal interest to see label scans of acetates. I'm sure many of us have the odd item sitting on the shelf.

I'll kick off with 4 of mine

Andy

post-13948-0-01086600-1310462203_thumb.jpgpost-13948-0-39259600-1310462212_thumb.jpgpost-13948-0-08615800-1310462221_thumb.jpgpost-13948-0-22799900-1310462301_thumb.jpg

post-13948-0-01086600-1310462203_thumb.j

post-13948-0-39259600-1310462212_thumb.j

post-13948-0-08615800-1310462221_thumb.j

post-13948-0-22799900-1310462301_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 306
  • Views 37.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Here are a couple-I'll look for more later (forget for which labels they were made, and thus, where filed):

Marquee 702-Royal Spades-Side A:

royalspades.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Side B:

royalspades2.jpg

Chex 1000-Majestics-Side A-with original pre-pressing title-retitled: "Give Me A Cigarette"-Commercial pressing listed only The Majestics as the artists:

majesticsacetate.jpg

Side B:

majesticsacetate2.jpg

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

post-13948-0-26222200-1310903370_thumb.jThese must be some of the first recordings the Stylistics made ... note both written by Marty Bryant, their road manager, and Robert Douglas, a member of their backing group Slim & The Boys

The songs sound nothing like the group who went on to international fame

Andypost-13948-0-50557900-1310903364_thumb.j

Social source share

Robb, are you sure that royal spades is an acetate? It looks identical to the pressed record I have (labels are the same) and I can even see deadwax markings.

I will try to scan some acetates later for this thread

i have the royal spades 45 on vinyl , its also an identical copy to the one shown in the scan...................regards ezzie

Social source share

post-13948-0-26222200-1310903370_thumb.jThese must be some of the first recordings the Stylistics made ... note both written by Marty Bryant, their road manager, and Robert Douglas, a member of their backing group Slim & The Boys

The songs sound nothing like the group who went on to international fame

Andypost-13948-0-50557900-1310903364_thumb.j

I would love to hear the unreleased stylistics 45. Marty Bryant supposedly did a whole unreleased LP on the stylistics. He also did the Precisions on Hen-mar and the first Sister Sledge 45 on Money Back.

Social source share

Guest Drfunkenstein57

Just been looking through my boxes, I've got 3 Emidiscs. I haven't got around to scanning them yet, but I will do in time.

Side A/ The Ikettes - two timing double dealing.

Side B/ Eloise Laws - Love Factory.

Side A/ Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday (voc)

Side B/ Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday (inst)

Side A/ Skullsnaps - I'm your pimp

Side B/ Ernest Mosely - Stubborn heart

Social source share

Just been looking through my boxes, I've got 3 Emidiscs. I haven't got around to scanning them yet, but I will do in time.

Side A/ The Ikettes - two timing double dealing.

Side B/ Eloise Laws - Love Factory.

Side A/ Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday (voc)

Side B/ Evelyn Thomas - Doomsday (inst)

Side A/ Skullsnaps - I'm your pimp

Side B/ Ernest Mosely - Stubborn heart

I think that's a slightly different topic - they're talking about original studio acetates here, the ones you've got were made to order in 1975.

Social source share

Whats the luther randolph take on just gotta have you like Andy I'd like to hear that :yes:

I think it's included in one of the six-pack sessions that were put in in 2000 ... should be in Refosoul

Andy

fantastic track maybe a little too fast but piched down two its awesome....:thumbsup:

Social source share

Why would there be a drill hole on an acetate ? also itseems to be a stuck on lable covering another lable on the scan ?

High quality acetate making involves a turntable with TWO spindles which two holes fit over - this stops slippage during the revolutions as the acetate is CUT with a hot needle - with two holes drag cannot occur, basically the two holes ensure the acetate is firmly in place during cutting. Later they used a heavy centre plate to cover the label area and hold it down. The blue label underneath is the label of the makers of the blanks the label on top is the label the studio would have put on it. Sometimes they just wrote into the manufacturer label, sometimes they used their own labelling system.

Hope that helps

Social source share

High quality acetate making involves a turntable with TWO spindles which two holes fit over - this stops slippage during the revolutions as the acetate is CUT with a hot needle - with two holes drag cannot occur, basically the two holes ensure the acetate is firmly in place during cutting. Later they used a heavy centre plate to cover the label area and hold it down. The blue label underneath is the label of the makers of the blanks the label on top is the label the studio would have put on it. Sometimes they just wrote into the manufacturer label, sometimes they used their own labelling system.

Hope that helps

Thank you for that John di dnt know any of it, spoted the hole and it didnt make any sense, you learn somthing new every day :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I also have a George Smith I,ve had it slightly different take. Was said to belong to a member of the production team. Currently not here but at my brothers. So sorry cant scan.

I used to have a George Kirby What can I do on a 10" RCA Custom Recording ??

I used to have Richard Popcorn Wylie Rosemary On an Atlantic Acetate. Said to be for possible release on Atlantic after Karen. Wonder where they live no? Both were straight takes of the recorded item. Then there was another George Kirby with extra strings and differing words on a 10" Chess/Checker acetate. Anyone know where that is now please.

Social source share

post-1773-0-10530100-1311072118_thumb.jp

WOW!!! I would really love to hear THAT ONE!!!

I've heard that she was just hired as a demo singer. But, I wonder if Raynoma was pressing to also get her a singing contract and a record release with Motown, as she tried with The Parliaments, and succeeded with The Serenaders and Sammy Turner?

Does anyone know if Carol Moore had any releases on local NY Area labels? (or ANY labels, for that matter?)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!