Acetates - Let's Take A Look

• Replies 306
  • Views 37.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

post-6153-0-35530900-1311194528_thumb.jp

Interesting that the Oscar Wright studio disc features the same date 5/12/66 as the Mira Sound acetate for Little Tommy's "Baby Can't You See", credited to The Upsetters. The Upsetters' leader and sax player was Grady Gaines, writer of "Fell In Love". I wonder if the date means both tracks were recorded on the same day? The two studios are only a few streets apart.

post-1080-0-98928900-1311202147_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One more - Jean Wells for Chalky..

post-6153-0-36250200-1311195893_thumb.jpg

The George Smith with spoken intro was same label as this only a multi coloured design of the tower and bigger. :unsure: Empire state building not Blackpool tower like yours

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a favourite of mine.

post-9122-0-27731200-1311205505_thumb.jp

post-9122-0-97043600-1311205549_thumb.jp

The Exceptions - Baby (A.K.A. Baby, You Know I Need You) b/w The Look In Their Eyes

Up-tempo version of their Groovey Grooves release. Much better IMO.

Here's a you tube link to hear the unreleased version if anyone is interested.

This was also pressed up on an "Impact" acetate of which there is a few knocking about i believe.

Cheers,

Eddie

Social source share

Interesting that the Oscar Wright studio disc features the same date 5/12/66 as the Mira Sound acetate for Little Tommy's "Baby Can't You See", credited to The Upsetters. The Upsetters' leader and sax player was Grady Gaines, writer of "Fell In Love". I wonder if the date means both tracks were recorded on the same day? The two studios are only a few streets apart.

Hi Gareth,

Yes that could be the case i suppose..Clearly that's a case of multi tasking :)

Social source share

Hi Gareth,

This has no date on it but gotm it from the same guy as the Oscar Wright from memory...

post-6153-0-11891700-1311280105_thumb.jp

Social source share

post-1893-0-59983200-1311279362.jpg

post-1893-0-71300200-1311279366_thumb.pn

Backing track to Marva Lee - If You Can't be True

post-1893-0-39703900-1311279371_thumb.pn

Fantastic version of Major Lance sung by van McCoy

Do you know who is singing "Never Ever Leave Me" for Mickay's Records? I don't know of any Mickay's release with that title. Does it sound like J.J. Barnes, Orthea Barnes, Mel Anton, or The Legends? What does it sound like?

Social source share

Do you know who is singing "Never Ever Leave Me" for Mickay's Records? I don't know of any Mickay's release with that title. Does it sound like J.J. Barnes, Orthea Barnes, Mel Anton, or The Legends? What does it sound like?

It is Orthea Barnes, it is available on the new Dave Hamilton CD on Kent 356 (Dave Hamilton's Detroit Soul) and it is a corker!

By the way the Shelton pic is a vinyl test press, there are a couple knocking about, I have it on an International acetate, different version the CD one.

Social source share

It is Orthea Barnes, it is available on the new Dave Hamilton CD on Kent 356 (Dave Hamilton's Detroit Soul) and it is a corker!

By the way the Shelton pic is a vinyl test press, there are a couple knocking about, I have it on an International acetate, different version the CD one.

Tony, that was an acetate not a vinyl copy. It was Mick Smith's, I sold it for him (and those other two).

Social source share

The Little Tommy with the Upsetters acetate is a much better sound recording than the actual issued 45 - is that the same for this one too?

Sorry Joel. No idea as I don't own the record. It's a scan I kept from an old ebay listing.

Social source share

That's surprising to me that Dave Hamilton was involved in a Mickay's production. I never saw his name on any of those records (Mickay's or Orthea (Ortheia) on Coral. I assume that he must then have been the arranger. The listed arrangers on Mickay's were Joe Hunter, Fred Brown, Mike Hanks, Phil Wright (Chicago) and McKinley Jackson.

Do you know what Dave Hamilton had to do with that Orthea Barnes Mickay's production?

Social source share

Tony, that was an acetate not a vinyl copy. It was Mick Smith's, I sold it for him (and those other two).

Okay Pete, then it was a different copy to the one I saw/held back in 1990 after I'd thought I got a nice unknown, only to be shown a vinyl copy (along with the Softiques also on Sheldon). I didn't know Mick had it and Mick didn't know I had it, until one night in Valencia I played it at that point the only know copies......

Social source share

This is the coolest acetate I have -- Channel 3 doing a version of "The Lively Ones" (which was released by Brooks O'Dell). Flip is a nice ballad called "Look into my eyes". Both sides are definitely demos with just like a guitar and drums. I have an even rawer Channel 3 demo but can't find it right now. The best acetates I have have no markings at all and are mystery artists.

post-5120-0-09307300-1311395349_thumb.jp

Social source share

That's surprising to me that Dave Hamilton was involved in a Mickay's production. I never saw his name on any of those records (Mickay's or Orthea (Ortheia) on Coral. I assume that he must then have been the arranger. The listed arrangers on Mickay's were Joe Hunter, Fred Brown, Mike Hanks, Phil Wright (Chicago) and McKinley Jackson.

Do you know what Dave Hamilton had to do with that Orthea Barnes Mickay's production?

He wrote the song with Joe Hunter and arranged/produced it with Joe. He worked at all sorts of early Detroit labels like MAHS, KeKe, Velvet Sound etc

I had two copies of the acetates (I wouldn't be surprised if Mick's came from me too) and all were acetate not vinyl. There is a totally different mix which is harsher but with an accentuated beat, so better for dancers, which we will put out on a Kent 45 soonish.

Social source share

Probably not - Karen records were distributed by Atco for a period - more likely it was just a reference disc for the Karen issue.

correct joe, theres a couple of atlantic acetates of rosemary knocking around, ive got one which is a different take to the 45, with type written credits and " take # 3 " hand written on,

Social source share

Lee Garrett - Issued take?

post-1281-0-52806400-1311437396_thumb.jp

Lee Garrett - definately not the issued take.

post-1281-0-82820400-1311437444_thumb.jp

Al Gardner - I'm Movin On - not the issued take? sounds rawer.

post-1281-0-06587800-1311437492_thumb.jp

Baby Jewel - Storming uptempo Northern / R&B - Unissued

post-1281-0-44085100-1311437588_thumb.jp

David Will - a~side

post-1281-0-02859600-1311437645_thumb.jp

David Will - b~side.

Note it's a pairing of the a-sides of his two 45s on Soul Craft - not sure if they are the issued versions though.

post-1281-0-89554400-1311437705_thumb.jp

Mary Wells - reference disc for her Jubilee 45 (?)

post-1281-0-64229800-1311437771_thumb.jp

Another Mary Wells that came in a batch of Motown related disc along with the acetate above.

post-1281-0-20639900-1311437903_thumb.jp

Social source share

I had two copies of the acetates (I wouldn't be surprised if Mick's came from me too) and all were acetate not vinyl. There is a totally different mix which is harsher but with an accentuated beat, so better for dancers, which we will put out on a Kent 45 soonish.

I recall you having that Sheldon label acetate one evening at a Capitol Soul Club doo...when I initially saw it i thought it may have been vinyl, as there are also Sheldon vinyl test presses using the same label (Condors and Softiques spring to mind).

I believe Tony and I had the other acetates from you of the Orthea Barnes...both featuring the 'smoother' mix rather than the added percussion version on the Sheldon label (currently with Ted)..

Social source share

I recall you having that Sheldon label acetate one evening at a Capitol Soul Club doo...when I initially saw it i thought it may have been vinyl, as there are also Sheldon vinyl test presses using the same label (Condors and Softiques spring to mind).

I believe Tony and I had the other acetates from you of the Orthea Barnes...both featuring the 'smoother' mix rather than the added percussion version on the Sheldon label (currently with Ted)..

Flynny (or anyone else here)....Did Don Davis ever answer the question as to why he leased the master of "Lucky To Be Loved By You" to Jesse Herring's tiny Wild Deuce Records instead of releasing it on Thelma? Was the leasing after Thelma 113, and the writing was on the wall that the company would close shop? I think it was Lasky's best, and might have been a hit if released on a major (that would PUSH it). Did he try to get a major to lease it? From it's sound, I'd guess it was recorded rather earlier than 108-so not really near their end of the line. Actually, it's my favourite Thelma cut. I would have been happier to see it come out on the unused Thelma 103. But, I know that that had been originally scheduled for a female solo artist (forget name).

Social source share

Yeah, defo acetate though.

Social source share

Hi Ady, knew about Jefferey Bowen, but I think the Baby Baby and the flip version of Doesn't It Ring A Bell are alternate takes to the LP versions,and the Ace version of Ring A Bell. The backing on Jimmy Sherman is the same as The Coasters but with a different vocal, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

Here's some that I have, Blue rock Acetates from Dee Dee Warwick, and Renaldo Domino, Craig Moerer said the Domino Acetate came from a Chicago DJ's collection and he thought it was a single one done by his Manager.

post-2025-0-96155200-1311629369_thumb.jppost-2025-0-71176700-1311629402_thumb.jp

The Sound Lab one is a reference for the Jimmy delphs released 45 on Dssi, its deffo not him, I have no idea who's singing..plus the sleeve with lots of info, was told Ron Murphy was dead, I suppose he would of known

post-2025-0-69119400-1311629392_thumb.jppost-2025-0-29744100-1311629374_thumb.jp

Finally, a publishers acetate from that lot Jimmy Radcliffe's son was selling some years back, black Patch productions or something...unreleased track by Barbara English..

post-2025-0-24820200-1311629398_thumb.jp

Mal :thumbsup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!