Acetates - Let's Take A Look

The Sound Lab one is a reference for the Jimmy Delphs released 45 on DSSI, its deffo not him, I have no idea who's singing..plus the sleeve with lots of info, was told Ron Murphy was dead, I suppose he would of known

post-2025-0-69119400-1311629392_thumb.jppost-2025-0-29744100-1311629374_thumb.jp

Mal, we had a discussion about that just after you won the DSSI demo. Unfortunately, Ron Murphy was already gone, and so we couldn't ask him. Upon listening to it, we realised it wasn't Jimmy Delphs. We concluded that it must have been the demo "reference" cut for Delphs to use as a model.

Here's the link to our thread: https://soulfuldetroi....php/t-560.html

Davie Gordon postulated that it might be one of Duane Freeman or George Mallory (the writers).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• Replies 306
  • Views 37.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just hazarding a guess - is that "Tastes sour" the same song as covered here by Keith Powell & Billie Davis on Piccadilly - the flip of "When you move you lose"? I'm at work so can't check the 45 for credits...

yes it is, there's also a take by Jimmy himself. Shame many of those Chris sold as original acetates were fakes though (not saying Mal's is btw). Know a few who were duped. New acetates with old label stuck on top of the new label.

Social source share

This is a one sided 12" with four tracks. It came from Andrew Smith, who was a session drummer in Detroit, working at Motown and with Dennis Coffey. Andrew produced all the tracks, played and sang on them along with Dennis on guitar. Andrew cut these as a demo, hoping to get a artist deal with Berry, but nothing came of it. Shame as they are very good tracks, 2 ballads and two 60's crossover tunes.

post-3008-0-20114600-1311678016_thumb.jp

Andrew passed a few years ago, but he was held in such high regard, that his old high school named a new students recording studio after him. On the day of the dedication, many Detroit producers and artists turned up, including Clay McMurray, McKinley Jackson, Woody Wilson and many more, it was a very moving day.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

This is a one sided 12" with four tracks. It came from Andrew Smith, who was a session drummer in Detroit, working at Motown and with Dennis Coffey. Andrew produced all the tracks, played and sang on them along with Dennis on guitar. Andrew cut these as a demo, hoping to get a artist deal with Berry, but nothing came of it. Shame as they are very good tracks, 2 ballads and two 60's crossover tunes.

post-3008-0-20114600-1311678016_thumb.jp

Andrew passed a few years ago, but he was held in such high regard, that his old high school named a new students recording studio after him. On the day of the dedication, many Detroit producers and artists turned up, including Clay McMurray, McKinley Jackson, Woody Wilson and many more, it was a very moving day.

Andrew moved to NYC with Bob babbit and wrote for Spring artists like Millie Jackson Garland Green and a couple of crackers for Act One like You Didn't Love Me Anyhow

Social source share

yes it is, there's also a take by Jimmy himself. Shame many of those Chris sold as original acetates were fakes though (not saying Mal's is btw). Know a few who were duped. New acetates with old label stuck on top of the new label.

I also had one of those. Looking back, I think it was a fake, maybe not cut that recently but certainly in the 70's or 80's. I didn't think so to begin with but when it turned out there were two or three, then I started to wthink about it.

I did get one really, really interesting thing from Chris which I don't think he gave to anyone else (I could be wrong), it was the original demo version of Chasing My Dream All Over Town which is a very collectable UK release by Jenny Wren on Fontana. This one was mainly piano, slower, great girl vocal - but it only last a minute and a half because a chunk of the lacquer had come off the acetate and it was the only one in existence. I have no idea what I did with it, possibly on one of my old pc's.

Social source share

That's the problem with acetates you really have to know their provenance and the honesty of their owners all along the way, even to the original label owner in a couple of cases.

Social source share

Yeah I had my suspicions on this disc, he had 2 x 45's and a 10 incher he sold Pete smith, somebody on here had the other 45 which I think was being played out at the time??

m

Social source share

Mal, we had a discussion about that just after you won the DSSI demo. Unfortunately, Ron Murphy was already gone, and so we couldn't ask him. Upon listening to it, we realised it wasn't Jimmy Delphs. We concluded that it must have been the demo "reference" cut for Delphs to use as a model.

Here's the link to our thread: https://soulfuldetroi....php/t-560.html

Davie Gordon postulated that it might be one of Duane Freeman or George Mallory (the writers).

never saw this thread before, thanks Robb, On these Sound lab acetates somebody on here said there were a few come on the market at the time I bought mine, wonder if anybody can cast any light on those discs?

Mal

Social source share

Yeah I had my suspicions on this disc, he had 2 x 45's and a 10 incher he sold Pete smith, somebody on here had the other 45 which I think was being played out at the time??

m

He made a lot of money out of the UK soul scene selling fakes as originals. Myself and someone else rumbled him on here and he denied it at first, when I mentioned evidence he said summat like well you'd never have got to hear them otherwise or something like. Don't think he's posted since.

Social source share

He made a lot of money out of the UK soul scene selling fakes as originals. Myself and someone else rumbled him on here and he denied it at first, when I mentioned evidence he said summat like well you'd never have got to hear them otherwise or something like. Don't think he's posted since.

I very nearly bought a couple off him - the tastes sour and another R&B track.

The R&B track had another track on the flip, that he was pushing for sale, but I wanted it for the R&B side - when I told him I was only willing to pay 'x' amount for it as I wasn't fussed about the flip, he suddenly magicked a single sided acetate with the track I wanted on.

It stunk like a bucket of fish heads left out in the sun, so I backed out on the deal.

I know he then sold both the acetates on to other buyers.

Social source share

post-2920-0-70227600-1311801742_thumb.jp

Version of Gene Latter, no artist credited but believed to be unissued Chancellors track.

Wow, that's nice. Funny Face Girl is a lovely song. Ok, I admit, pretty light weight and poppy but a nice tune nevertheless. What's the Chancellors track like? Similar to Gene Latter or completely different approach.

Social source share

Wow, that's nice. Funny Face Girl is a lovely song. Ok, I admit, pretty light weight and poppy but a nice tune nevertheless. What's the Chancellors track like? Similar to Gene Latter or completely different approach.

It goes like......

mp3 Removed - Site Rules

Edited by 45cellar
mp3 Removed
Social source share

Mark, thanks a lot! Lovely version, bit sparse on backing but the group vocals make up for it. If you ever think of selling I might be .... :thumbsup:

I had an unissued version of Funny Face Girl, had it since the late 80's, but can't remember who it's by. I know I put it on one of the Cream Of The Crop cd's but those are a decade old at least and I threw away the masters of those. Dammit I hate it when I can't remember stuff. Just remember it was off a publishers acetate.

Social source share

Sounds like that was it - 99% sure it was listed as The Ambers. On the same tape as Charmaines - I'm standing in the need of love.

That's the one, I bought it from Rob back then as the Ambers.

Read an article on, I think Soulful kinda music(?), about April & Blackwood acetates saying this was an unissued Chancellors Capcity track which seemed plausible enough, but can't say for sure who it is.

Those tapes you mention were in a class of their own for quality unknowns.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just a few from me, thought i'd add a few test pressings too just as a point of interest, the one with no writing on label is the Test Press of Leroy Hutson's LP ' Unforgettable'., The Associates recording studios acetate is an unknown male vocalist, early 60's soul track.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

heres a few from me

post-10824-0-02950200-1311866940_thumb.jpost-10824-0-06838100-1311866961_thumb.jpost-10824-0-69058700-1311866986_thumb.jpost-10824-0-44853600-1311867007_thumb.j

Wow,i like the Jimmy Burns, brilliant tune, the Dispo is a tough one let alone the acetate, hats off to you.

Brett

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I had no idea The Bee Jays on Prime was recorded or mastered in Chicago. I had thought that little Detroit label would have done it locally.

just off topic a little.. did any one realise that the bee jays, i`ll find you on prime came out with two different label designs and one is 20 seconds longer than the other

dave

Social source share

I think this might have come out of Johnnie Mae Mathews basement but my memory is a little hazy

Does anybody know if these tracks were released or not

Mr Thorley ... I'm relying on your expertise

Andypost-13948-0-91921300-1313179891_thumb.j

"hard times" is unreleased, would love to hear it. The other came out on TEAI and then Polydor.

I got an awesome young sirs photo from one of the members, the young sirs became the gaslight.

Social source share

Hi Ady, knew about Jefferey Bowen, but I think the Baby Baby and the flip version of Doesn't It Ring A Bell are alternate takes to the LP versions,and the Ace version of Ring A Bell. The backing on Jimmy Sherman is the same as The Coasters but with a different vocal, Cheers, Ady

"Adys"

I too have a Platters Bell Sound acetate of this. Also Greg Tormo has a Bell Sound acetate of the instrumental/backing track.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!