Acetates - Let's Take A Look

just off topic a little.. did any one realise that the bee jays, i`ll find you on prime came out with two different label designs and one is 20 seconds longer than the other

dave

Yes Dave :)

There's a thread (or two) on here somewhere with the details - label scans etc.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 306
  • Views 37.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

I'm just sorting through my studio discs my son will put them on here as I'm crap with computors but I've found a seven inch jobete company acetate with spellbound on it femail artist and backing can any one shed any light on who it is I got this one from Pete Lowry any help would be apreaciated regards Simon.

Social source share

I'm just sorting through my studio discs my son will put them on here as I'm crap with computors but I've found a seven inch jobete company acetate with spellbound on it femail artist and backing can any one shed any light on who it is I got this one from Pete Lowry any help would be apreaciated regards Simon.

I think Martha Reeves did a song called Spellbound that was knocking about in the late 90s.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

some very interesting items being posted, heres some from my collection, both have kansas city on the other side, thoughts are that may have been written for bobby gentry.post-20010-0-56451100-1313668793_thumb.jpost-20010-0-07363200-1313668812_thumb.j

Social source share

Wow,i like the Jimmy Burns, brilliant tune, the Dispo is a tough one let alone the acetate, hats off to you.

Brett

That used to be mine Brett. It was apparently Jimmy Burns' own personal copy. It is a rawer mix than the released Dispo 45. I traded it with Vince as part of a deal one night at Prestatyn. I wish I hadn't let it go really, especially for what I got for it. :(

Jordi

Social source share

That used to be mine Brett. It was apparently Jimmy Burns' own personal copy. It is a rawer mix than the released Dispo 45. I traded it with Vince as part of a deal one night at Prestatyn. I wish I hadn't let it go really, especially for what I got for it. :(

Jordi

I would probably sell for £500, any takers?

Social source share

post-13948-0-73188700-1313691632_thumb.j

Andy, - That acetate is the same title and same Columbia pressing plant code # as the Diane Lewis cut that was released on Golden World-distributed Love Records. It was published by Myto Music, and "acted" like a Golden World subsidiary label. I guess that Ed Wingate and Joanne were, at least co-owners with someone else on Love, if not sole (100%) owners.

Does anyone here know why that record was released on Love, and not on Golden World, Ric Tic or Wingate? Could it be that Lewis' manager or another party partly financed it?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Robb

Here's the flip with 'Diane Lewis' written on in pen. The track was produced by Andrea Henry. This acetate came out of Herman Griffin's garage ... so did Andrea & Herman have some ownership of 'Love Records'

Andypost-13948-0-65815500-1314124135_thumb.j

Andrea Henry is listed as the producer on Love Records. H &A Productions (Herman and Andrea) is listed as the Production co. who leased to Wand Records for its national dist. deal. The producer listed on that one is Herman Griffin and Andrea Henry. Griffin was known to have owned labels-AND, more importantly, he had possession of the acetate. I suspect that Love Records was co-owned by Golden World (Ed Wingate/Joanne Bratton (Jackson)) and Herman Griffin (or H &A Productions, with Henry included), and operated as a Golden World subsidiary.

Social source share

A couple of recent additions. The Ramblers acetate isn't a soul track - it's an R&B number from 1956 that was recorded for Federal but never got released until it was put on a CD compilation not so long ago. I include it here though as a few years later The Ramblers evolved into The Falcons.

post-9478-0-23495900-1313677285_thumb.jp post-9478-0-66493300-1313677294_thumb.jppost-9478-0-17220500-1313677299_thumb.jp

hi russel, wolfgang (.."loma") was at my place for another of our bi-weekly vinyl jour fix just until a few moments ago...funny we just had that topic and he mentioned your acetates while I was playing the fabulous playboys 45s I have..who later became indeed the Curlis Monroe Falcons. Hope youre fine, atb marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

hi russel, wolfgang (.."loma") was at my place for another of our bi-weekly vinyl jour fix just until a few moments ago...funny we just had that topic and he mentioned your acetates while I was playing the fabulous playboys 45s I have..who later became indeed the Curlis Monroe Falcons. Hope youre fine, atb marc

Thanks, Marc. All is good here. Yes, got a link to the Fabulous Playboys 45 during our emails about the group/acetate. As I said to him - I WANT IT!! :shhh:

Social source share

A couple of recent additions. The Ramblers acetate isn't a soul track - it's an R&B number from 1956 that was recorded for Federal but never got released until it was put on a CD compilation not so long ago. I include it here though as a few years later The Ramblers evolved into The Falcons.

post-9478-0-23495900-1313677285_thumb.jp post-9478-0-66493300-1313677294_thumb.jppost-9478-0-17220500-1313677299_thumb.jp

That's nice Russell, they changed the song name to I'll keep Holding On. Joe Evans had quite a few Bell Sound acetates

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance of my hearing the recording on the "Exotics' cut"? Maybe I can help identify the group? It had to be a group with some relationship to George Kerr, Sidney Barnes, George Clinton, Gene Redd, or Eddie Singleton. Maybe it was The Serenaders, Parliaments, Prophets or one we know is related to those producers. We can make an educated guess at the identity of the producer, based upon the songwriter/s. George Kerr, Sid Barnes and Luke Gross wrote "Let's Get Together". So, I'm guessing that The Serenaders may have sung that demo. As you didn't mention The Serenaders as a guess, I assume that perhaps Timothy Wilson (whose voice is easily recognisable didn't sing lead on that one. Maybe George, himself, sang lead on it?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Gotham City acetate for "You're really getting to me" by Jonelle Allen.

I believe the song is unreleased, but do let me know if that's incorrect.

She made a name for herself on Broadway before crossing over to movies and TV. She appeared in a few films including Cotton comes to Harlem.

TV credits include Police Woman, Love Boat, Hill Street Blues and Cagney & Lacey. Her biggest role was as the character Grace in the series, Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman!

post-9478-0-84372500-1332936776_thumb.jp post-9478-0-18976200-1332936775_thumb.jp

Social source share

Got this from Pete Smith a while ago Ady, and couldn't understand why an RCA release was done on Decca in the UK, any ideas? a one off I'm told

Lenny

Decca manufactured and distributed RCA in the UK mate, and that is one record I really regret selling!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think that's a slightly different topic - they're talking about original studio acetates here, the ones you've got were made to order in 1975.

are there legit emi discs as well as the made to order ones ?

there are quite a few scans of emi discs in the thread and i always thought they were all boots but it might be some of them are real ?

Social source share

Emidisc is just the name of a UK brand of the metal-plated lacquered disc known as acetates. Acetates were legitimately produced for a number of reasons by record companies. For example:

* to demonstrate songs for other artists/producers

* as reference copies for producer/artist/record company staff before a track is released

* as samples of potential releases. Record execs would meet and listen to acetates (emidiscs) and decide what would get (or not get released)

* as advance promotional copies to send out to radio djs and get airplay (and thus interest) before a track gets officially released

* to record one-off tracks, for example, a special version of a song that gets used in a TV show.

The Northern Soul scene (and others) used emidiscs and other branded acetates because they were easy to make if you had a cutting machine. Exactly as you say, emidiscs could be made to order.

The emidiscs in this thread are all 'real' as you put it. Well, I can vouch for the ones I've added :D

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!