Just Won Flowers "we Can Make It Happen" On Lax For .99P On Ebay! Then It All Went Wrong

the guy had it up £100 "buy it now" but also had a start price for .99p i put a bid of £50 and noone else bid so i won it fair and square, i couldn't believe it! Anyway i quickly paid for it and lo and behold i've just had an email from him saying that the reserve was not met and that i could not have the record, obviously i've informed him that he should have put a reserve on it and will be expecting my record forthwith!

Has anyone else had dealings with aresholes like this that just simply dont understand how ebay works i.e. dont put up a record for sale at a low price unless you can swallow the bitter pill. God knows i've done it enough times but those are the rules and you have to abide by them, mind you what am i expecting from a guy whos feedback is 8, perahaps i'm the arsehole :ohmy:

Edited by vince ayres
Social source share

I've just bought a load of stuff from Dave, he's selling his collection at very good prices, he's an upstanding guy it seems to me and it's probably a genuine mistake as he wasn't clued up on paypal so offered advice so he could receive payments. The money is going to his daughters, so although you may seem a little peeved, I think calling him an arsehole is way out of line and i'm sure a more reasonable approach would sort things out. Let's face it, you know 99p is ridiculously cheap and you were prepared to go to £50 so give the guy a break and you both may get a good deal out of it IMO

some of his sales left outside ebay

Dave's Sales on EMS

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

I've just bought a load of stuff from Dave, he's selling his collection at very good prices, he's an upstanding guy it seems to me and it's probably a genuine mistake as he wasn't clued up on paypal so offered advice so he could receive payments. The money is going to his daughters, so although you may seem a little peeved, I think calling him an arsehole is way out of line and i'm sure a more reasonable approach would sort things out. Let's face it, you know 99p is ridiculously cheap and you were prepared to go to £50 so give the guy a break and you both may get a good deal out of it IMO

some of his sales left outside ebay

Dave's Sales on EMS

cheers Sutty

because i paid immediately with paypal he has my email address and has been sending all his correspondance through this method as opposed to ebay messaging which is against ebay rules,now i am an upstanding guy and when i put my eddie hill on m-s last year for £9.99 and had the one bid i physically had to lose around £70 but begrudgingly i had to send it, that is the way of ebay.

Social source share

because i paid immediately with paypal he has my email address and has been sending all his correspondance through this method as opposed to ebay messaging which is against ebay rules,now i am an upstanding guy and when i put my eddie hill on m-s last year for £9.99 and had the one bid i physically had to lose around £70 but begrudgingly i had to send it, that is the way of ebay.

Whether he's a good guy or not, he's broken several ebay rules and should either honour the sale or not be allowed to sell on there.

I had one the other week, one a red and white demo for £13, he then sent me a message saying that he'd overlooked the fact that the record was warped and didn't want to be reported for goods not as described so he wasn't selling it to me. So I reported him for non-selling and he kept sending me these ridiculous emails pleading with me to cancel the case, I said just send the f*cking record then, and he still hasn't. I'm not bothered anymore...

Social source share

Ive had 2 this week alone , both reggae sales, both from London and neither have paid. Ebay sent me a message telling me that one guy is no longer registered and basically is still bidding , winning but not paying , the second guy has a zero feedback , i went into his account to see if he'd bought anything else and he'd bought about 50 records , how can he have a zero feed back i thought? Today someone has left him bad feedback due to non payment. Why doesnt ebay shut these people down for good , theyres decent people trying to make a few quid and arseholes doin the opposite. Rant over.

Social source share

Seems to me the hunger for getting something for about 100 times less than the going rate is clouding the objectivity of a new seller getting to grips with systems he's never used before. Hope you work something out for both of your benefits, must be very frustrating not to get bargain of the year :hatsoff2:

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Ive had 2 this week alone , both reggae sales, both from London and neither have paid. Ebay sent me a message telling me that one guy is no longer registered and basically is still bidding , winning but not paying , the second guy has a zero feedback , i went into his account to see if he'd bought anything else and he'd bought about 50 records , how can he have a zero feed back i thought? Today someone has left him bad feedback due to non payment. Why doesnt ebay shut these people down for good , theyres decent people trying to make a few quid and arseholes doin the opposite. Rant over.

Ebay believe that all buyers are in the right, even when they're in the wrong. They've treated the seller like dirt for far too long now.

There are good and bad sellers, as much as there are good and bad buyers on Ebay, but Ebay won't get rid of the bad buyers - buyers are privileged people; they can leave neutral or negative feedback and muck the seller around as much as they want. Sellers can only leave positive feedback, and nothing else. Surprised no one's tried to sue Ebay under the Unfair Contract Terms Act yet - maybe it's too much of an expensive process.

Ebay are just greedy bloodsuckers - they penalise the sellers, forever change the terms of their contract with unrealistic rules and targets, yet they're more than happy to take their money.

Vince - as has been said, stick to your guns. This seller has clearly not followed Ebay's procedures, and tried to instigate rules of his own. Be tenacious, and get what you can out of Ebay and the seller. Good luck.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seems to me the hunger for getting something for about 100 times less than the going rate is clouding the objectivity of a new seller getting to grips with systems he's never used before. Hope you work something out for both of your benefits, must be very frustrating not to get bargain of the year :thumbsup:

cheers Sutty

i would like to make it clear at this point that i've had my rant and don't want people to think im having a personal attack on this guy.The whole purpose of this thread is to see how many peeps on here have had similar problems with sellers and i can see from some of the above comments that i'm not alone :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Daz thats a fake bidder, he's ruined over 50 of my auctions alone and must have ruined over 1500 all in by now. He's been registered in London, Japan, Mexico (where everyone thinks he's from). There is a topic about it on here somewhere.

Social source share

Ebay believe that all buyers are in the right, even when they're in the wrong. They've treated the seller like dirt for far too long now.

There are good and bad sellers, as much as there are good and bad buyers on Ebay, but Ebay won't get rid of the bad buyers - buyers are privileged people; they can leave neutral or negative feedback and muck the seller around as much as they want. Sellers can only leave positive feedback, and nothing else. Surprised no one's tried to sue Ebay under the Unfair Contract Terms Act yet - maybe it's too much of an expensive process.

Ebay are just greedy bloodsuckers - they penalise the sellers, forever change the terms of their contract with unrealistic rules and targets, yet they're more than happy to take their money.

Vince - as has been said, stick to your guns. This seller has clearly not followed Ebay's procedures, and tried to instigate rules of his own. Be tenacious, and get what you can out of Ebay and the seller. Good luck.

Spot on mate, the charges for low value items are ridiculous as well!!!

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

A honest seller will sell the item for what it went for, the whole point of auctions, sellers have a choice wether they want to start low induce a bidding war on their item, start the auction at the bottom line they are willing to accept, Buy it now, or low start price with a reserve, as pointed out he has broken at least two ebay rules, one refusing to sell the item, two, trying to conduct a sale outside of ebay.

i've sold things that have gone for less than they are worth, i've also sold things at prices that have astounded me, swings and roundabouts.

The problem is Vince...the bloke isn't going to honour the auction, ebay have no way of making him post it to you, you can file a complaint for which he will recieve a policy breach, though i think he needs three before he is banned from selling......You also have feedback that you can leave. negative or positive is entirely up to you, though if it was me and i won an auction fair and square and the seller refused to sell.......it would be a big fat negative

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Daz thats a fake bidder, he's ruined over 50 of my auctions alone and must have ruined over 1500 all in by now. He's been registered in London, Japan, Mexico (where everyone thinks he's from). There is a topic about it on here somewhere.

My advice Daz would be to send second chance offers to the second highest bidder, though if it's pete smith, don't expect it to be taken lol

Social source share

Regardless of whether or not the seller is "new to ebay" or not he should be a man about it, post the item out and learn from it. The item sold for 99p so that's it! I've lost count of the amount of records i've sold on ebay that nowhere near meet my expectations but that's just tough, i accept it and move on. yes.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I bet that had you won the auction by bidding twice as much as the price he was expecting, he wouldn't be emailing you to tell you that you'd acually exceeded his expectation by £500, so just send £500 instead of the £1,000 bid you'd won at. no.gif

Social source share

My advice Daz would be to send second chance offers to the second highest bidder, though if it's pete smith, don't expect it to be taken lol

I'd take it if it was for the price I WOULD have won it for, but not at the inflated price that the fake bidder caused

Social source share

Sometimes a Seller lists at a price and after or during Auction learns its worth much more. They may then look to "pull" out of a deal. Not saying so for this Seller as I don't know him and never dealt with him, but I have had that happen before. ph34r.gif

thats fine kev but he new what it was worth hence the"buy it now" for £100 which to be fair aint a bad price but why bother to put a start price of .99p if you have no intention of taking it, i look at this way for every 100 records i practically give away it's kind of nice to know that i too can pull a bargain out of the ebay sack but sadly it looks like it aint gonna happen this time.

On another note i sent 10 records to france a month ago and they still havent arrived the value of which is just shy of £100 and i have to refund the guy and lose my records because it dont matter what i say about being not responsible for postage ebay will always side on the buyer and i will always endeavor to keep customers happy even though it makes me physically sick that is the nature of the beast :yes:

Social source share

I bet that had you won the auction by bidding twice as much as the price he was expecting, he wouldn't be emailing you to tell you that you'd acually exceeded his expectation by £500, so just send £500 instead of the £1,000 bid you'd won at. :yes:

spot on mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

thats fine kev but he new what it was worth hence the"buy it now" for £100 which to be fair aint a bad price but why bother to put a start price of .99p if you have no intention of taking it, i look at this way for every 100 records i practically give away it's kind of nice to know that i too can pull a bargain out of the ebay sack but sadly it looks like it aint gonna happen this time.

On another note i sent 10 records to france a month ago and they still havent arrived the value of which is just shy of £100 and i have to refund the guy and lose my records because it dont matter what i say about being not responsible for postage ebay will always side on the buyer and i will always endeavor to keep customers happy even though it makes me physically sick that is the nature of the beast :yes:

Hi Vince ......You haev my sympathy on this one cos i've had countless UK sellers gazump me over records i've won on the cheap ,even some that i've found on muscistack /gemm etc.

But regarding the EBAY selling system that this poor guy has used ..i too sympathise with him as i remember from an early experience when i first started using ebay to sell things.

The option of listing an item with a "buy it now " whilst also having a a live auction ,allows people to ,of course "buy it now " for the set sale price ,but if someone puts a bid on it ,then the buy it now oprion disappears ??

I listed some items and this happened to me ....i was'nt aware of the procedure and only found out with a few days to go ..luckily i managed to end and relist the items .

For me ,this is a case of naivety on the side of the seller and in hindsight we should be more careful , in all honesty i'm not a geek nor am i technophobe but it's so easy to get it wrong as i found out.

I've never met the guy ,never had any dealings with him ,but as Sutty says ,he's selling up his collection to make a few quid for his daughters ..not trying be the next BIG record dealer.

Like i said earlier ..it's happened to me and its annoying to think you've just got a great bargain .and then not angry.gif

I spotted a deliberate error on a major sellers website where i stood to pick up a £200 record for £2.50 ....waited eagerly for my prize but all i got was an email saying " sorry the listing was an error and you will be refunded" sad.gif

Maybe not quite the same but i knew it was an error ..i took it on the chin and did'nt give the guy a hard time over it....at the end of the day ..your not out of pocket ,you havent been robbed so just put it behind you and move on ..

Im sure like the rest of us ,you will still find plenty of bargains on ebay from genuine sellers in the USA, who probs found em in junk shops or paid a dollar for em ...hence the reason they can afford to list things for a few dollars and not care how much they sell for yes.gif

P.s AR**HOLE is a bit O.T.T ... I.M.H.O......plonker would suffice biggrin.gif

Social source share

the guy had it up £100 "buy it now" but also had a start price for .99p i put a bid of £50 and noone else bid so i won it fair and square, i couldn't believe it! Anyway i quickly paid for it and lo and behold i've just had an email from him saying that the reserve was not met and that i could not have the record, obviously i've informed him that he should have put a reserve on it and will be expecting my record forthwith!

Has anyone else had dealings with aresholes like this that just simply dont understand how ebay works i.e. dont put up a record for sale at a low price unless you can swallow the bitter pill. God knows i've done it enough times but those are the rules and you have to abide by them, mind you what am i expecting from a guy whos feedback is 8, perahaps i'm the arsehole angry.gif

Cant see the listing Vince - whats his ID

Sutty we all try to get a bargain from ebay thats why we are on it- So if your friend made a mistake thats tough! Done it myself in the past & I soon learned but I did honour the transaction which was The Joneses - Lies / Who loves you for 10 quid and it was mint minus!

Social source share

Sutty we all try to get a bargain from ebay thats why we are on it- So if your friend made a mistake thats tough! Done it myself in the past & I soon learned but I did honour the transaction which was The Joneses - Lies / Who loves you for 10 quid and it was mint minus!

Should be the going rate for this one Steve....some foolish people got brainwashed into thinking the flip side was a good reason to spend stupid money for an issue :yes:

A great piece of marketing if ever there was laugh.gif

Social source share

Sutty we all try to get a bargain from ebay thats why we are on it- So if your friend made a mistake thats tough! Done it myself in the past & I soon learned but I did honour the transaction which was The Joneses - Lies / Who loves you for 10 quid and it was mint

Edited by vince ayres
Social source share

Should be the going rate for this one Steve....some foolish people got brainwashed into thinking the flip side was a good reason to spend stupid money for an issue :yes:

A great piece of marketing if ever there was laugh.gif

thats the trouble with this scene nev. theres a lot of great pieces of marketing.........wish i knew how to do it.

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Stick to your guns Vince. Take it up with ebay if he pulls out of the deal

I've now exhausted every avenue and sent endless messages through ebay messaging and he's still emailing me direct with his latest excuse being "its ebays fault" and they're going to sort the problem out but ofcourse i've heard sod all from ebay. At this point i would like to remind potential buyers from user name davehuggett to steer well clear but by the time i've left my feedback he wont be able to trade any longer as his rating will be way too low for anyone to bother with.

as it stands at the mo he has £4.99 of mine (£4.00 special delivery) and the record which he has no intention of sending.angry.gif

Social source share

Sellers have to accept the loss I'm affraid. I sold a record through ebay earlier this year. The winning bidder was a member on here and listed it for sale at more that double what he paid me for it. Thems the breaks. You just gotta take it on the chin and move on.

Social source share

The joy of collecting records is in getting the bargain and searching through loads of tunes to achieve this. We've all been there in record shops, at boot sales or at the village fete! On ebay it's really hard to get big bargains as we're all chasing that elusive tune! I think it's sad what Vince has expierienced as he had the bargain and now it's being taken from him! I can understand the guy has made an error in selling it but that's the way it is sometimes, you can't win them all! ktf and please don't go to the same bootsales I do! lol

Social source share

this just says it all, once again he's unable to use the ebay messaging system thus hiding it from ebay! so here's his latest email

As I explained, Ebay have con firmed that I had a fixed price for the item, so I am not obliged to asell it as the reserve wasn,t met.

You will NOT be getting the record.

Dave Huggett.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I seen the listing,title okay though, sparse description, no scan or photo of the item. listed in the UK. what does the seller expect.........99p is all that somebody was willing to pay for it,, though as said previously this guy has set his stall out and is not going to part with the item....shame on him, not very honourable.

Going/gone through similar thing this week on a UK SUE record, got it for half it's value, 10 days and still no item, contacted the seller who is suppose to have sent it recorded, refunded straight away, some sellers are more than happy to accept sales when they go for above value, though not if it's below

Social source share

I seen the listing,title okay though, sparse description, no scan or photo of the item. listed in the UK. what does the seller expect.........99p is all that somebody was willing to pay for it,, though as said previously this guy has set his stall out and is not going to part with the item....shame on him, not very honourable.

Going/gone through similar thing this week on a UK SUE record, got it for half it's value, 10 days and still no item, contacted the seller who is suppose to have sent it recorded, refunded straight away, some sellers are more than happy to accept sales when they go for above value, though not if it's below

well said my friend :yes:

Social source share

this just says it all, once again he's unable to use the ebay messaging system thus hiding it from ebay! so here's his latest email

As I explained, Ebay have con firmed that I had a fixed price for the item, so I am not obliged to asell it as the reserve wasn,t met.

You will NOT be getting the record.

Dave Huggett.

Buy it now is different to having a reserve isn't it? Also if you still haven't got your money back, you can open a case with paypal. If you can be asked, you can have a conversation with one of their virtual advisors, then ask for a copy of what's been said. It may contain something useful.

Social source share

Vince, you should stop sending him email messages directly (not through ebay). You can go through the customer support section and open up a case, if you don't find your specific situation you can call ebay customer support and explain the situation. You should end up getting your money back in paypal and hopefully action taken against him.

Also, just to comment on him, what a wad. If he at least sent you a message that said "I'm not selling the item at this price, sorry" that would be one thing. But what's up with his lame lie responses directly to you saying that he's following ebay policy, etc., and he hasn't even refunded your money. What a total loser. Leave meaningful negative feedback, after he responds, make sure to leave a followup feedback.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Going/gone through similar thing this week on a UK SUE record, got it for half it's value, 10 days and still no item, contacted the seller who is suppose to have sent it recorded, refunded straight away,

He's got away with it then, should have asked for the recorded delivery number to see if he really had sent it.

I did, which of course didn't come up on RM track and track, Royal Mail recorded items are now scanned at the point of entry, ie post office.

Not worth arguing about, just annoys me when it's blantant what's happened

Social source share

No matter what you do you will not get this record. Ebay are just middle men taking a cut from the buyer ans seller (cos they own paypal). They cannot force the person to post them. All they can do is ban them. Put it down to bad experience and move on, we have dealt with bad situations like this on ebay. My worst was the guy got the goods, said he never, i had to refund him and he then sold the same goods.

Life aint fair and not all people are easy to deal with

Social source share

Guest soultempo

vince,

dave is a friend of mine ... u would be hard pressed to meet a nicer fella', honestly.

this would definately have been a 100% genuine mistake on his part not knowing his way around the bay.

i'm sure u can come to some amicable solution.

hope it works out ...

best wishes, shaun.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

vince,

dave is a friend of mine ... u would be hard pressed to meet a nicer fella', honestly.

this would definately have been a 100% genuine mistake on his part not knowing his way around the bay.

i'm sure u can come to some amicable solution.

hope it works out ...

best wishes, shaun.

What genuine mistake..........your friend listed a record @99p with the option of buy it now @ £100, the record sold for 99p, that unfortunately for your friend was all the auction was worth.

An amicable solution is for your friend to complete the transaction by posting the record to the auction winner. After all that is the legal contract he has entered into.

So please don't harp on about what a great and fair bloke your mate is, His actions speak louder than words.

Social source share

Guest soultempo

i'm not disagreeing with u, by the way.

i'm just pointing out that dave's an ebay novice & hence this happened.

just in case there's any slant on his character from some of the 'hang 'em high' vultures on this forum, lol ...

Social source share

i'm not disagreeing with u, by the way.

i'm just pointing out that dave's an ebay novice & hence this happened.

just in case there's any slant on his character from some of the 'hang 'em high' vultures on this forum, lol ...

please, if he was a "nice guy" he would admit his mistake (and not send lame lies via direct email) at least and not STEAL vince's 5 pounds.

Social source share

Guest soultempo

again, i'm not disagreeing with anyone & the debate's definitely not with me, personally.

and i do need to move on ...

i'm just pointing out what i believe has happened, knowing the person.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

again, i'm not disagreeing with anyone & the debate's definitely not with me, personally.

and i do need to move on ...

i'm just pointing out what i believe has happened, knowing the person.

As a friend, why don't you point him in the direction of this debate, surely he would wish to address the issues raised, that is what an honest and fair person would do.

Social source share

I sold a £300 quid record on here for £25 last year.

I just bit the bullet.

I do object, however, to the guy who bought Edwin Starr - My kind of woman on Ric Tic off me, I didn't realise it was a demo, and when he got it he practically took the piss out of me for selling it so too cheap and not as a demo.

Social source share

It's obvious the seller has mistaken "buy it now" with setting a reserve, and the buyer is trying to capitalize on his mistake. Cut the seller a little slack. At the same time, if it were my sale, I'd chalk the loss up to eBay 101 tuition fees.

Edited by ak45
Social source share

I don't understand why the people defending the seller keep saying it was a mistake. It obviously was a mistake. Nobody is saying it wasn't a mistake. What's lame is the lying (via direct email) and then stealing the 5 pounds and not refunding.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!