Audiodisc Acetates

hi

ive been offered a record on an audiodisc acetate but im not sure what this is

is it like an emi disc / vinyl carvers boot type thing or a legit company / label release

ive had some records from the seller before in a trade and they were all ok but ive also been caught by a different seller with an acetate before and got stung for 75 quid so i said i wouldnt touch them again

thanks in advance

dave

Edited by davidwapples
Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Im pretty sure these are a New York based company, Think they are usually 6 inches with a center hole and a hole off set from the center like its to put on a cutting machine......... a friend has one and quite a number of dealers have put the OK on it.

Social source share

hi

ive been offered a record on an audiodisc acetate but im not sure what this is

is it like an emi disc / vinyl carvers boot type thing or a legit company / label release

ive had some records from the seller before in a trade and they were all ok but ive also been caught by a different seller with an acetate before and got stung for 75 quid so i said i wouldnt touch them again

thanks in advance

dave

Audiodiscs were a brand of studio acetate. They are made of a metal disk coated in a wax-type substance and then laquered. You could go into a studio and make a recording and have a disk cut which you then take around the big record companies to try to get a deal and greater distrubution. They were also cut by record companies to see how they sound on the turntable as the original recording would only be on a reel-to-reel tape which you hardly lug home with you! EMI often did this and that why they're often called EMI disks. You can still get them cut now called 'dub plates' now days. However, you can tell the original 60's ones becasue the 'wax' is either black or very dark blue - hold it up to the light and look at the very edge. Newer ones are more of a purple colour. Audiodisc are often distiguisable from others becasue they used a 'thinner' label (see scan) and the texture of the label is course and matt.

A word of warning, do not get any solvent or alcohol based cleaner near them or they'll melt! Soap and water only.

Social source share

Im pretty sure these are a New York based company, Think they are usually 6 inches with a center hole and a hole off set from the center like its to put on a cutting machine......... a friend has one and quite a number of dealers have put the OK on it.

Yes forgot about those smaller solid-centre ones

Also, they smell of wax crayons. Proper ones from the 60's have lost their odour over time and are not as strong ones being passed off as originals.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Guest the soulster

hi ive got two of these acetates which i bought of keb in the eighties for a few qiud each they have just got the big sounds of the time on them they can't be from the 60's as they have records from different labels on teach sound hope this helps. Mick

post-3686-1130351511_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hi ive got two of these acetates which i bought of keb in the eighties for a few qiud each they have just got the big sounds of the time on them they can't be from the 60's as they have records from different labels on teach sound hope this helps. Mick

Those were done in London in the mid eighties at a reggae dub cutting place that I can't remember the name of now (Jah something in Holloway?) they would do you the blank disk for a £10 and give you a couple of those labels to stick on. You can still get them done, I think.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert