Alfreton Alldayer 10Th July

Well, what an anti climax.

Never missed the Alfreton nights in their heyday. Really looking forward to seeing all the old crowd, listening to the old sounds.....

According to the previous posts there were very few tickets left. From what we saw on the day there must have been a shed load left over.

Bless Glyn for all his efforts but it was doomed from the start. £10 a ticket or £12.50 on the door. Usually, at a Dayer, the early ones leave early and the late comers, well, come later. £10 for 4 or 5 hours is a bit steep for some. As is obvious, as I attended, I payed my dues.

The room was less than half full, the sound system was constantly an issue with feedback and 'humming' constantly. One of the decks failed during Pete Taylors spot, who had stood in for Brian Rae who couldn't make it. Bummer as I know a lot/few of the people had turned up as he was booked. The music policy - whatever is played around at the moment - Alfreton 'reunion' ?? Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but everywhere you go .... Ask around and see how many say its getting predictable.

It is annoying that you have to pay an inordinate amount for these top named DJs who come along with a box of 50 records and play what anyone could bring from home. Their collections must be huge but still the same... Sean Chapman was his usual excentric self but what the hell was that track he finished with. Yeh, great wasn't it - no !! it was a bit of Ansel Collins !! Wasn't it advertised as a Northern Soul Dayer ??

This scene that we all claim to love is being kicked to death by the few who dictate what we should or shouldn't be listening to. I know we will get all the sycophants writing in, kissing arse and saying what a fantastic day it was but, honestly !!!!

I'm not posting this just to get a reaction its just my opinion. You may well have enjoyed youself, as actually, I did but it could have and should have been so much more. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, no one really cares on here. If you want to answer this with abuse, telling me where I am going wrong or I'm talking out of my arse then keep it. Just post your feelings of the day in question. If we don't tell them they can't put it right for next time, and we all hope and pray there is a next time.

KTF and be true to yourself.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You don't have to tread Grapes to taste a good Wine.

Glad to see Alfreton making a come back after so long as it has been sorely missed as a venue on the Soul Scene :D Would you believe it but I was first through the door at 2 o'clock and the room looked great thanks to the hard work put in by Glynn and the rest of the organisers :thumbsup: As all promoters know there is always some teething problems to be sorted out on the first one and sometimes unforseen circustances like deck problems or lighting,but all in all everyone coped well :no: I did not get to hear all the Dj's as I had to go for 6 o'clock but some nice stuff was played and I really enjoyed Caspers set which was a real breath of fresh spinning some underplayed and less known records :no: Its a shame it was not better attended but I feel Alfreton could be making a real come back in the future with the right mix :no: Good effort to all involved :g: Not sure if these comments should have been in the look back section but no thread had been started :no:

KTF MItch.

www.blackheartsoul.co.uk

Never missed the Alfreton nights in their heyday. Really looking forward to seeing all the old crowd, listening to the old sounds.....

According to the previous posts there were very few tickets left. From what we saw on the day there must have been a shed load left over.

Bless Glyn for all his efforts but it was doomed from the start. £10 a ticket or £12.50 on the door. Usually, at a Dayer, the early ones leave early and the late comers, well, come later. £10 for 4 or 5 hours is a bit steep for some. As is obvious, as I attended, I payed my dues.

The room was less than half full, the sound system was constantly an issue with feedback and 'humming' constantly. One of the decks failed during Pete Taylors spot, who had stood in for Brian Rae who couldn't make it. Bummer as I know a lot/few of the people had turned up as he was booked. The music policy - whatever is played around at the moment - Alfreton 'reunion' ?? Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but everywhere you go .... Ask around and see how many say its getting predictable.

It is annoying that you have to pay an inordinate amount for these top named DJs who come along with a box of 50 records and play what anyone could bring from home. Their collections must be huge but still the same... Sean Chapman was his usual excentric self but what the hell was that track he finished with. Yeh, great wasn't it - no !! it was a bit of Ansel Collins !! Wasn't it advertised as a Northern Soul Dayer ??

This scene that we all claim to love is being kicked to death by the few who dictate what we should or shouldn't be listening to. I know we will get all the sycophants writing in, kissing arse and saying what a fantastic day it was but, honestly !!!!

I'm not posting this just to get a reaction its just my opinion. You may well have enjoyed youself, as actually, I did but it could have and should have been so much more. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, no one really cares on here. If you want to answer this with abuse, telling me where I am going wrong or I'm talking out of my arse then keep it. Just post your feelings of the day in question. If we don't tell them they can't put it right for next time, and we all hope and pray there is a next time.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

we couldn't get terry but i respect your opinions so thanks for your honesty, i'll know what to do next time it's on. sounded a bit like some of the reviews for the first Winding Wheel and by all accounts, that's going from strength to strength so there may be hope for alfreton. xx

Sorry guys posted this to Facebook and didn't notice the thread.

Nice one Glynne ,From my point of view you had done everything right ,great sound system ,great venue ,top DJ Line up . As soon as you entered the room there was that Buzz which has been lost at so many venues. I have to say that you treated us very fairly , we have reviewed what we do with regard to some venues and particularly the larger venues and weekenders whom seem to want to charge traders more than top dollar to stand in difficult times,it is my opinion that its just a numbers game for some promoters and not about the soul.Well done Glynne for pushing the boat ,trying something different you deserve a pat on the back.

The numbers were the only real issue at alfreton , had there been an additional 150-200 people all the teething issues would have pailed into insignificance.

Difficult to understand where you are coming from with that post. The Sound System was atrocious, constantly buzzing and loads of feedback. Not to hear that you must have been outside at the Scram Van. Big up for the effort to get Alfreton back on the map bur as a punter ( not a trader who may be edging there bets ) there was nothing 'different' to be found here, quite the contrary. As you said, big up for the effort but please, take off the Rose tinted glasses and smell the stuff they grow in. v

Maybe next time and let's hope nexttime, they will have learnt a lesson and

As I was saying, let's hope there is a next time and lessons learnt. As Coops said earlier, don't give up. Although I criticized the day I attended and would do again. Just that some people can't say anything without wanting to hurt someone's feelings. If we don't tell the truth or accept it as constructive criticism then we are are doomed to ultimate failure.

KTF - we all know what that means don't we ???

Ok, here goes. Some days have passed since tezza initial post, i try very hard these days not to react knee jerk and to do some deep thinking and attach some empathy when something sour comes my way.

Since the post ive spoken to a lot of people in Alfreton on the day, i've had very frank conversation with some who i know and trust would tell me the truth without blowing smoke up my backside. I asked them if i really did get it so wrong.

i'll address each posting and critisism in turn, but before i do i think some context may help.

Tezza reports on Alfreton as a 'punter', however it's worth noting that he is a promoter - a promoter just a few miles away from Alfreton in Chesterfield and he's in bed with many other so called 'promoters' in this area too.

Other critisisms have come from someone not even present at Alfreton on the day and again someone with a vested interest in the scene. Just thought that you might decide for yourself if that was an issue..

I give you that there were a few problems on the day and i accept those, all large events have them - remember the whitby door forgery fiasco, the bar at brid weekender etc etc. however i do feel that a large majority of the critisism placed at my feet and the jocks on the day is very unjustified.

lets address them then

quotes:

truth: - show me a post where i said there were few tickets left. i said they were moving fast on the friday before the sunday and they were. at no point did i say they were sold out or even close to doing so.

Quote:

Bless Glyn for all his efforts but it was doomed from the start. £10 a ticket or £12.50 on the door. Usually, at a Dayer, the early ones leave early and the late comers, well, come later. £10 for 4 or 5 hours is a bit steep for some

Fair comment, but i wanted to deliver a bit more than the (well intentioned) locals with a box of pressings. Grosvenor all-dayer is priced the same, i took that as a guideline as a reasonably quality event.

Quote:

The room was less than half full

yep, spot on and the main problem of the event. here's why it was like that.

The marketing was not at fault, ive looked at this and heres what i did. 5,000 flyers, 12,000 targetted facebook messages, wall posts, fan page posts etc - soul source, dj plugs from here to scotland, radio airtime in local area, bbc sheffield, lancashire, radio trent (internet), many community station soul shows and solar radio too via Kev. i couldnt have marketed more than i did

The day before was setup day and this was crunch time, how many were coming. we had sold 138 tickets by Saturday - my network of DJ's and leaflet droppers were telling me that lots were coming, even friday night at the shed when i had tickets folks were saying it's ok, we'll pay on the door, not got cash on me ... etc etc - must admit i was suprised but then i also know that more than twice the ticket sales for many events pay on the door despite the extra cost (which by the way was to keep handbaggers out - worked too!)

Sat i could have set the room smaller by bringing the stage farward - but on Saturday the feedback was to expect 400-500 people so i set it at over 3/4 of the full room. out of the 140 sold by the day 127 came in - again that blew my mind - why would you do that? buy a ticket and not go? - 65 paid on the door making the grand total - thats why the room had bags of room. just look on the original thread "cant wait" "the boys will be there" "glad you're back glyn, we'll be there" etc etc - i could go on - all of those comments did not come - I truly believed this was the case. - i think the fact it was a glorious day may have played a part but it could have been anynumber of things. c'est la vie

Quote: post 1

the sound system was constantly an issue with feedback and 'humming' constantly

post 2:

The Sound System was atrocious, constantly buzzing and loads of feedback. Not to hear that you must have been outside at the Scram Van.

Well, i've asked people about this and i think it might be tinnutis Terry, trip to the doctors for you young man - sure we had a bit of squeal on caspers set which was remedied and some ambient bass pickup from the tonearms, i'll address these first.

Professional jocks deal with this problem whenever they use vinyl - its always a problem and differs from record to record. watch a pro at work and youll see they constantly tweak the system. Northern jocks are jocks because they have the music - most dont even hear any bass fb or sibbalence let alone know what to do with it. short of having a sound man stood there all night you will always get a problem arise which needs someone to go tweak that knows what he's on about. When it came it was QUICKLY sorted, often with me running across the floor - how many times have you seen a promoter do that?. in the end much of the bass was rolled off just for a quiet life and so i could take a piss now and again.

But Buzzing? buzzing? this didnt happen at all. buzzing is caused by the amplification of the a/c phase change or bad earthing, neither was present - im not just saying this because i can prove it - the entire day from 4:30 until 11:10 was recorded in high quality and ive gone over it. see a doctor terry. I'm going to share the recording on mixcloud when i get chance to upload and you can all make your own judgement

to say it was 'abysmal' made me piss myself - 12k of pure sound on a system used at top concerts - Take that have used that rig in the past - we ran it at 30% capacity and to my ears and many others ive spoke to it was sweeter than honey.

Quote:

the decks failed during Pete Taylors spot,

yep it did - funny story this. i took with us three technics sl1200's - two new and one old silver one - hooked up the new ones at test and on one deck a channel was down so replaced with older silver model - the silver one was fine till about 6:00 just as nige brown was finishing and it lost sync lock. at first we thought it was the slipmat but then it also speeded up and i knew it wasnt that.

i was on the phone for a replacement and i stood there changing records on one deck for pete whilst the brand spanking new deck was ripped out of the radio studios 4 miles away. Pete and i had to change four records before the deck was here, fully wired in and normal service resumed. ps, this is on video tape too and the gap was less than 13 minutes - Chris my fellow worker mustve done over a ton on the a-38

all gigs have problems, its how fast and ready you are to deal with them that counts.

from that point on the night was flawless. evidenced in the recording

Quote:

Pete Taylors spot, who had stood in for Brian Rae who couldn't make it. Bummer as I know a lot/few of the people had turned up as he was booked

yep, spoke to bran Saturday as i did to all jocks and he was fine. he called me at around noon Sunday to say he's woken up that morning with bad pains due to a condition but that he might be ok - in the meantime just in case i called pete who was a trooper as usual - much respect to him. brian actually confirmed he wont make it at 3pm, just as Pete walked in the door.

sorry, but our favorite DJ's are getting old, brian would like you all to know he's very sorry but it couldnt be helped. you wouldnt have liked him tho tezza cos he'd have played oldies you know rather than stuff you dont.

bummer eh .. rather disrespectful dont cha think?

Quote:

The music policy - whatever is played around at the moment - Alfreton 'reunion' ?? Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but everywhere you go .... Ask around and see how many say its getting predictable.

I specifically said in my posts that this wasnt a reunion Terry - (suggest eye check too at same time as tinnutis one).

Quote:

i sent a policy message to all jocks of the day - i asked them to make sure they include a fair amount of 'underplayed oldies' in their sets, i asked them to play all original vinyl and advised that at Alfreton they don't have to do 'same old same old'

all but one played OVO, something you dont get from you bloke down the road with his box of pressings and the one who did play some got a proper bollocking for breaking policy. You seem to forget that the big songs today were indeed re-awoken by Alfreton back in the day - they were in the main Alfreton songs, there was nothing else around - however as i said, this was not marketed as a re-union.

As for your comments ref the DJ's that smacks of disrespect to me. Mssrs Evison, Taylor, Brown, Chapman and the others are legends in the scene and are representative of those people want to see - not someone stuffed inbetween the bingo in a miners welfare playing tracks no bugger wants to hear. Dave played a massive part in building this scene in Mr M's etc etc and you smear him as 'turning up with 50 records and playing what anyone can from home" - you made my skin crawl with that one, wheres your respect? Those jocks have forgotten more than you or i will ever know.

As for Sean and the ansel collins track - as you say, eccentric sean, dont we love him :thumbsup: but did you see the floor reaction? no different to playing country roads really tezza - a rock track at a Northern do??

Quote:

This scene that we all claim to love is being kicked to death by the few who dictate what we should or shouldn't be listening to.

errm, isnt that just what you did - we shouldnt be listening to dave and ansell collins right?

Quote: Coops

we couldn't get terry but i respect your opinions so thanks for your honesty, i'll know what to do next time it's on. sounded a bit like some of the reviews for the first Winding Wheel and by all accounts, that's going from strength to strength so there may be hope for alfreton. xx

Well, here is the rub then. i was told this on facebook by the guy who likes blurry photo's that this whole post and attack was spurred by my comments on the first winding wheel night. so it's payback. now we understand. bit of a difference from speakers cutting off every five minutes for four hours and pissed slappers from the town taking the piss whilst listening to folks ';dee jayying' with cheapo presssings to a few teething problems dont cha think?

finally Terry to accuse Paul the t-shirt guy of giving his opinion just cos he's a dealer is laughable when your opinion is just cos you're a wannabe promoter. thats like the mouse accusing the cat of wanting the cheese

Paul knows full well that i wont be repeating Alfreton ever again in my lifetime. I dont invest time and money for zero return - it lost some money, it was a punt - i dont repeat bad trades.

Many seem to forget that these 'wonderful memories' of Alfreton you all talk about were made by me. I started Alfreton, it was my equipment on that very first night back in 97, it was my marketing that made it happen, it was I who put my stylus on the first record and played it through my speakers after having it promoted on the radio, in the papers etc etc - couldnt flyer back then because it was Alfreton and the Hollingwood - we had to work at it and Ian, Pat and i worked hard. - most of the soul nights around here were born at Alfreton, annesley, kingsway, mansfield etc - we made it look easy and made it easy for them to grow - we had to work at it

I built the place, Ian grew into the end poromoter. sadly ian and i fell out and we still have, but i built it and you all know that.

Ive received literally dozens of messages from those there on the day giving an opposite viewpoint. Far from getting it wrong I'm actually proud of that event on Sunday, I and the team put on a 'stonking event' as one visitor told me and i'm glad i did it. I wanted one more under my belt before i call it a day on the soul scene and move on to pastures new.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say goodbye to soul source. I won't be back on here because ive never met such a bunch of backstabbers mingled in with so many nice people too - how you ut up with each other i'll never know.

To those friends i salute you and will see you around, to the others i say "phuq you very much" :g:

now wait for it, here comes Ian .... light blue touch paper ..... stand well back...... fizzzzzzzzz

Ok, here goes. Some days have passed since tezza initial post, i try very hard these days not to react knee jerk and to do some deep thinking and attach some empathy when something sour comes my way.

Since the post ive spoken to a lot of people in Alfreton on the day, i've had very frank conversation with some who i know and trust would tell me the truth without blowing smoke up my backside. I asked them if i really did get it so wrong.

i'll address each posting and critisism in turn, but before i do i think some context may help.

Tezza reports on Alfreton as a 'punter', however it's worth noting that he is a promoter - a promoter just a few miles away from Alfreton in Chesterfield and he's in bed with many other so called 'promoters' in this area too.

Other critisisms have come from someone not even present at Alfreton on the day and again someone with a vested interest in the scene. Just thought that you might decide for yourself if that was an issue..

I give you that there were a few problems on the day and i accept those, all large events have them - remember the whitby door forgery fiasco, the bar at brid weekender etc etc. however i do feel that a large majority of the critisism placed at my feet and the jocks on the day is very unjustified.

lets address them then

quotes:

truth: - show me a post where i said there were few tickets left. i said they were moving fast on the friday before the sunday and they were. at no point did i say they were sold out or even close to doing so.

Quote:

Bless Glyn for all his efforts but it was doomed from the start. £10 a ticket or £12.50 on the door. Usually, at a Dayer, the early ones leave early and the late comers, well, come later. £10 for 4 or 5 hours is a bit steep for some

Fair comment, but i wanted to deliver a bit more than the (well intentioned) locals with a box of pressings. Grosvenor all-dayer is priced the same, i took that as a guideline as a reasonably quality event.

Quote:

The room was less than half full

yep, spot on and the main problem of the event. here's why it was like that.

The marketing was not at fault, ive looked at this and heres what i did. 5,000 flyers, 12,000 targetted facebook messages, wall posts, fan page posts etc - soul source, dj plugs from here to scotland, radio airtime in local area, bbc sheffield, lancashire, radio trent (internet), many community station soul shows and solar radio too via Kev. i couldnt have marketed more than i did

The day before was setup day and this was crunch time, how many were coming. we had sold 138 tickets by Saturday - my network of DJ's and leaflet droppers were telling me that lots were coming, even friday night at the shed when i had tickets folks were saying it's ok, we'll pay on the door, not got cash on me ... etc etc - must admit i was suprised but then i also know that more than twice the ticket sales for many events pay on the door despite the extra cost (which by the way was to keep handbaggers out - worked too!)

Sat i could have set the room smaller by bringing the stage farward - but on Saturday the feedback was to expect 400-500 people so i set it at over 3/4 of the full room. out of the 140 sold by the day 127 came in - again that blew my mind - why would you do that? buy a ticket and not go? - 65 paid on the door making the grand total - thats why the room had bags of room. just look on the original thread "cant wait" "the boys will be there" "glad you're back glyn, we'll be there" etc etc - i could go on - all of those comments did not come - I truly believed this was the case. - i think the fact it was a glorious day may have played a part but it could have been anynumber of things. c'est la vie

Quote: post 1

the sound system was constantly an issue with feedback and 'humming' constantly

post 2:

The Sound System was atrocious, constantly buzzing and loads of feedback. Not to hear that you must have been outside at the Scram Van.

Well, i've asked people about this and i think it might be tinnutis Terry, trip to the doctors for you young man - sure we had a bit of squeal on caspers set which was remedied and some ambient bass pickup from the tonearms, i'll address these first.

Professional jocks deal with this problem whenever they use vinyl - its always a problem and differs from record to record. watch a pro at work and youll see they constantly tweak the system. Northern jocks are jocks because they have the music - most dont even hear any bass fb or sibbalence let alone know what to do with it. short of having a sound man stood there all night you will always get a problem arise which needs someone to go tweak that knows what he's on about. When it came it was QUICKLY sorted, often with me running across the floor - how many times have you seen a promoter do that?. in the end much of the bass was rolled off just for a quiet life and so i could take a piss now and again.

But Buzzing? buzzing? this didnt happen at all. buzzing is caused by the amplification of the a/c phase change or bad earthing, neither was present - im not just saying this because i can prove it - the entire day from 4:30 until 11:10 was recorded in high quality and ive gone over it. see a doctor terry. I'm going to share the recording on mixcloud when i get chance to upload and you can all make your own judgement

to say it was 'abysmal' made me piss myself - 12k of pure sound on a system used at top concerts - Take that have used that rig in the past - we ran it at 30% capacity and to my ears and many others ive spoke to it was sweeter than honey.

Quote:

the decks failed during Pete Taylors spot,

yep it did - funny story this. i took with us three technics sl1200's - two new and one old silver one - hooked up the new ones at test and on one deck a channel was down so replaced with older silver model - the silver one was fine till about 6:00 just as nige brown was finishing and it lost sync lock. at first we thought it was the slipmat but then it also speeded up and i knew it wasnt that.

i was on the phone for a replacement and i stood there changing records on one deck for pete whilst the brand spanking new deck was ripped out of the radio studios 4 miles away. Pete and i had to change four records before the deck was here, fully wired in and normal service resumed. ps, this is on video tape too and the gap was less than 13 minutes - Chris my fellow worker mustve done over a ton on the a-38

all gigs have problems, its how fast and ready you are to deal with them that counts.

from that point on the night was flawless. evidenced in the recording

Quote:

Pete Taylors spot, who had stood in for Brian Rae who couldn't make it. Bummer as I know a lot/few of the people had turned up as he was booked

yep, spoke to bran Saturday as i did to all jocks and he was fine. he called me at around noon Sunday to say he's woken up that morning with bad pains due to a condition but that he might be ok - in the meantime just in case i called pete who was a trooper as usual - much respect to him. brian actually confirmed he wont make it at 3pm, just as Pete walked in the door.

sorry, but our favorite DJ's are getting old, brian would like you all to know he's very sorry but it couldnt be helped. you wouldnt have liked him tho tezza cos he'd have played oldies you know rather than stuff you dont.

bummer eh .. rather disrespectful dont cha think?

Quote:

The music policy - whatever is played around at the moment - Alfreton 'reunion' ?? Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but everywhere you go .... Ask around and see how many say its getting predictable.

I specifically said in my posts that this wasnt a reunion Terry - (suggest eye check too at same time as tinnutis one).

Quote:

i sent a policy message to all jocks of the day - i asked them to make sure they include a fair amount of 'underplayed oldies' in their sets, i asked them to play all original vinyl and advised that at Alfreton they don't have to do 'same old same old'

all but one played OVO, something you dont get from you bloke down the road with his box of pressings and the one who did play some got a proper bollocking for breaking policy. You seem to forget that the big songs today were indeed re-awoken by Alfreton back in the day - they were in the main Alfreton songs, there was nothing else around - however as i said, this was not marketed as a re-union.

As for your comments ref the DJ's that smacks of disrespect to me. Mssrs Evison, Taylor, Brown, Chapman and the others are legends in the scene and are representative of those people want to see - not someone stuffed inbetween the bingo in a miners welfare playing tracks no bugger wants to hear. Dave played a massive part in building this scene in Mr M's etc etc and you smear him as 'turning up with 50 records and playing what anyone can from home" - you made my skin crawl with that one, wheres your respect? Those jocks have forgotten more than you or i will ever know.

As for Sean and the ansel collins track - as you say, eccentric sean, dont we love him :thumbsup: but did you see the floor reaction? no different to playing country roads really tezza - a rock track at a Northern do??

Quote:

This scene that we all claim to love is being kicked to death by the few who dictate what we should or shouldn't be listening to.

errm, isnt that just what you did - we shouldnt be listening to dave and ansell collins right?

Well, here is the rub then. i was told this on facebook by the guy who likes blurry photo's that this whole post and attack was spurred by my comments on the first winding wheel night. so it's payback. now we understand. bit of a difference from speakers cutting off every five minutes for four hours and pissed slappers from the town taking the piss whilst listening to folks ';dee jayying' with cheapo presssings to a few teething problems dont cha think?

finally Terry to accuse Paul the t-shirt guy of giving his opinion just cos he's a dealer is laughable when your opinion is just cos you're a wannabe promoter. thats like the mouse accusing the cat of wanting the cheese

Paul knows full well that i wont be repeating Alfreton ever again in my lifetime. I dont invest time and money for zero return - it lost some money, it was a punt - i dont repeat bad trades.

Many seem to forget that these 'wonderful memories' of Alfreton you all talk about were made by me. I started Alfreton, it was my equipment on that very first night back in 97, it was my marketing that made it happen, it was I who put my stylus on the first record and played it through my speakers after having it promoted on the radio, in the papers etc etc - couldnt flyer back then because it was Alfreton and the Hollingwood - we had to work at it and Ian, Pat and i worked hard. - most of the soul nights around here were born at Alfreton, annesley, kingsway, mansfield etc - we made it look easy and made it easy for them to grow - we had to work at it

I built the place, Ian grew into the end poromoter. sadly ian and i fell out and we still have, but i built it and you all know that.

Ive received literally dozens of messages from those there on the day giving an opposite viewpoint. Far from getting it wrong I'm actually proud of that event on Sunday, I and the team put on a 'stonking event' as one visitor told me and i'm glad i did it. I wanted one more under my belt before i call it a day on the soul scene and move on to pastures new.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say goodbye to soul source. I won't be back on here because ive never met such a bunch of backstabbers mingled in with so many nice people too - how you ut up with each other i'll never know.

To those friends i salute you and will see you around, to the others i say "phuq you very much" :g:

now wait for it, here comes Ian .... light blue touch paper ..... stand well back...... fizzzzzzzzz

One of the most honest and 100% factual post I have ever read on here . Well put that man .

My comments were nothing personal and quite the contrary, I applauded you for your efforts. My views were tangible and were nit the rantings of a 'promoter' We run a small club one Friday night in Chesterfield. We are no threat to you or you to us and have no axe to grind. In bed with other promoters- if you know your history of me, which that statement implies you do, them you will know I am in bed with no one, except my mate Gigs.

Don't make this into a personal war, I hold nothing but respect for you and your attempts to get this Iconic venue back on the scene.

Good luck for the future matey.

yep, still stand by it mush, firstly my comments to you on facebook were personal one-to-one, a confidence broken by you, i'd certainly not repeat anything written one-to-one and i'll certainly not make that mistake again.

secondly, still stand by it.... didn't you comment on Ted Massey's set @ Winding Wheel when you'd left before he played?

Inaccuracies posted by a wanna-be promoter who really hasn't got the match of places like the Winding Wheel? (which I have no vested interest in what-so-ever, it's not my cup of tea.)

as for blurry photos' if you know as much about photography as you do promoting that comment ain't worth the ego it was written upon.

I really don't give a passing glance as to whatyou may or may not think of me or my photography for I don't take them for you but I'ma bit bored this morning so thought I'd post this little ditty just to let youknow that (like another promoter I have had cause to say this to in the past)You are THE emporer with new cloths and I and many others are the little boy(s) shouting... "Why has the emporer not got any cloths on" xx (p.s. look in the mirror, deep in the mirror, I do, I'm happy being just a number, for some of us that's all there is and for those that feel they are above being 'just a number' well, come their day of reconning with their Good Lord their egos will most certainly be deflated and their souls laid bare) wink.gif.

Edited by coops
Guest Phil Armstrong

yep, still stand by it mush, firstly my comments to you on facebook were personal one-to-one, a confidence broken by you, i'd certainly not repeat anything written one-to-one and i'll certainly not make that mistake again.

secondly, still stand by it.... didn't you comment on Ted Massey's set @ Winding Wheel when you'd left before he played?

Inaccuracies posted by a wanna-be promoter who really hasn't got the match of places like the Winding Wheel? (which I have no vested interest in what-so-ever, it's not my cup of tea.)

as for blurry photos' if you know as much about photography as you do promoting that comment ain't worth the ego it was written upon.

I really don't give a passing glance as to whatyou may or may not think of me or my photography for I don't take them for you but I'ma bit bored this morning so thought I'd post this little ditty just to let youknow that (like another promoter I have had cause to say this to in the past)You are THE emporer with new cloths and I and many others are the little boy(s) shouting... "Why has the emporer not got any cloths on" xx (p.s. look in the mirror, deep in the mirror, I do, I'm happy being just a number, for some of us that's all there is and for those that feel they are above being 'just a number' well, come their day of reconning with their Good Lord their egos will most certainly be deflated and their souls laid bare) wink.gif.

Hi Coops,

This thread is for the Alfreton alldayer NOT the Chesterfield Winding Wheel.

I attended Alfreton on Sunday and have voiced NO negative comments and have no links with anyone on here who have done so far.

As far as The Winding Wheel not being your cup of tea, this is disappointing to hear as on the night you attended the staff bent over backwards to make you feel welcome.

post-19833-0-14418900-1310650510_thumb.j

Cheers Phil

Hi Coops,

This thread is for the Alfreton alldayer NOT the Chesterfield Winding Wheel.

I attended Alfreton on Sunday and have voiced NO negative comments and have no links with anyone on here who have done so far.

As far as The Winding Wheel not being your cup of tea, this is disappointing to hear as on the night you attended the staff bent over backwards to make you feel welcome.

post-19833-0-14418900-1310650510_thumb.j

Cheers Phil

don't take it personal Phil, NO 100% oldies night is my cup of tea no matter how well it's organised, how well it's attended, how welcome i feel. that's a reflection upon my taste and not the quality of the event. didn't say it was good/bad or indifferent, just not my cup of tea! p.s. if i could drink a cup of tea like that young lady i'd be running off with the circus thumbsup.gif

Sorry have to disagree re the sound system ,yes there was an issue with one of the decks but that sempt to be sorted within 10 minutes.It was may be that i was enjoying myself so much at the back of the room that i didnt notice any buzzing or distortion infact its one of the clearest sounding events i have been to.

I think that lessons have been learned but beleive that after having spoken to Glynne after the event that there will not be a further attempt.

This seems a crying shame as it would appear that everything had been done to please the punters etc etc.

What ever happened to just going out and having a great time ? We recently purchased some weller tickets , it snowed we couldnt get but the gig went ahead ,we lost our ticket money.Now thats a negative happening.

Constructive criticysm is fine howeverI dont personally think its fair to kick someone for trying his best at which lets face it had and still has all the potential of being a great event.

No edging our bets absoloutley no chance (Never Did Never Will) say it as it is.

Sorry got to disagree with you re the sound system ,yes there was an issue with one of the decks which was sorted within what I believe was ten minutes with a replacement deck being flown in from ripley. Perhaps i was enjoying myself too much to notice .Lessons have been learned I believe but having spoken to Glynne I don't think there will be a next time which is a big crying shame as he had bent over backwards to try and please ,not just your take it or leave it attitude.back in the 70s we just went out and had a great time listened and danced to the music soul music ,there were no forums for us to down every attempt at something a little out of the ordinary. Tezza it's not cause you is from chessi is it ?

Ad for edging my bets absolutely no chance ,we say it as it is ,on this occasion I think Glynne deserves a pat on the back.

THIS WAS ON THE EVENT PAGE

Can't pack in because of one person not finding the day as good as they hoped !! Yes I was critical but not an attack just observations. Not seen too many others commenting either way. If it's on again I would be through the door, if I'm welcomed. The Soul Source fraternity tend to pat one and other on the back saying how good you are or what a storming night it was but seldom do you see any negative posts. Life is full of downs as well as ups but we seldom speak of it, almost taboo but how do we learn if all you hear is 'perfect'. As I have repeatedly said, I have no axe to grind and I live in Chessy but not a Chessy boy.

If you have good things to say about the day then say it don't focus on me or anyone else's posts.

My Grandad and my dad, 1st, 2nd World Wars - freedom of speech etc etc. Hang me for having an opinion !!

Just to let SOUL SOURCE soulies know i moved this thread from the event page last night i didn't start it so when you see me please still speak to me laugh.gif iv'e only moved it to were it should be on lookbacks soul events :huh:

soulfun and love sam evans :)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

One of the saddest lookback posts ive ever read :(

Not sure it's just a personal opinion ,so much a damning verdict!

I have no allegiance with anyone connected ,have never been ..infact i don't even know anyone connected to it but seriously ....WHO'D BE A PROMOTOR!

All this could and should have been aired in private not posted on a lookback .

I've lost count of the places i've attended that just did'nt do it for me ...that i was disapointed with ,but i've never slagged any of em off on open forum.

Points like the sound system playing up or Brian Rae not turning up are'nt planned ,nor intentional ,so why make snidey remarks ??

I'm sure it caused the promotor a lot of stress ,trying to sort it ,which as i can read he bent over backwards to do so .

The music policy from a perspective of someone who has seen the dj line up ..well i'm sure most people who went would have known what they were getting :yes:

Suffice to say ...if you don't like what's on offer then it's not for you ,don't go again ..so many soul nights on up and down the country ,week in ,week out..your soilt for choice ..take your pick and give your money to someone who puts a night on that caters fro your tastes.

Now this is my policy and it's one i've always stuck by ...IF YOU ENJOYED THE NIGHT ,BY ALL MEANS POST UP THE POSITIVES ...this helps future events .

But if you went and did'nt enjoy it .....JUST SAY NOTHING !......

Simply put ..PROMOTORS put in a lot of hard work and can sometimes get it wrong ,but negative posts like yours can be very damaging to future events.

Nev, what's the point of having a lookback if all you can say is good stuff. Honesty and personal opinion is what it's all about. Disagree with me, I'm not bothered. Your opinion is as valid as mine and you or anyone are allowed to express it- we do live in a democracy. Despite what I said, which were observations, I enjoyed the day. Private words often as not fall on deaf ears

• Helpful 1

It appears that we only want to hear positive vibes so I will try to hold my tongue on future events. We strive to be accepted, liked and respected but how can we if no one is allowed to point out the flaws. If Mediocrity is what you aspire to then that's your prerogative. I will back out and let you win your battle but please, don't let us lose the war.

Just to let SOUL SOURCE soulies know i moved this thread from the event page last night i didn't start it so when you see me please still speak to me wink.gif iv'e only moved it to were it should be on lookbacks soul events :huh:

soulfun and love sam evans :)

Thanks for trying to help Sam. Do appreciate it but kindly asking if you & others can let me or the other Mods know next time as makes life easier for all.

Just hit the report button & myself or one of the Mod team can get onto it asap.

Nev, what's the point of having a lookback if all you can say is good stuff. Honesty and personal opinion is what it's all about. Disagree with me, I'm not bothered. Your opinion is as valid as mine and you or anyone are allowed to express it- we do live in a democracy. Despite what I said, which were observations, I enjoyed the day. Private words often as not fall on deaf ears

No problem at all with constructive criticism at all Tezza & that is pointed out in the site rules. In fact think if it is constructive most promoters would welcome it (know I have as a promoter in the past).

Problem comes though when it is politically motivated (not suggesting this is at all though).

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks for trying to help Sam. Do appreciate it but kindly asking if you & others can let me or the other Mods know next time as makes life easier for all.

Just hit the report button & myself or one of the Mod team can get onto it asap.

No problem at all with constructive criticism at all Tezza & that is pointed out in the site rules. In fact think if it is constructive most promoters would welcome it (know I have as a promoter in the past).

Problem comes though when it is politically motivated (not suggesting this is at all though).

Hope that clears things up.

innocent.gif will do cunnie

thanks sam xxx :wave:

It appears that we only want to hear positive vibes so I will try to hold my tongue on future events. We strive to be accepted, liked and respected but how can we if no one is allowed to point out the flaws. If Mediocrity is what you aspire to then that's your prerogative. I will back out and let you win your battle but please, don't let us lose the war.

Sorry Tezza but imho ..if a venue says it's gonna play modern xover or upfront music to lure you in ..and when you get there ,theyre playing out and out oldies ...that in my book entitles you to have a public rant

If a venue says in a flyer original vinyl only and then plays boots /pressings ...then your entitled to a rant .

Not because you turned up to a venue expecting a return to the good times but sadly it didnt live up to your expectations ..and then gripe about genuine mistakes or unexpected problems and then go into a slanging match and get personal about who's pi**ing in the same pot ....attacking dj's by name ...tittle tattling about things said in private messages ...bringing other venues /promotors into the so called "look back" and on and on ......:(

It's just SAD ....you all need to grow up , drop the ego's and work together to get it right ...no ones getting younger ,so stop the bickering and get on with doing what your supposed to

be doing on a night out ...socialising with friends and enjoying the music!

As you will see I never mentioned anyone by name except Sean and that just to comment on one record. I even praised Glyn for his efforts. I never diss'd any other venues or promoters. What is said by others should not be rested at my feet just because I started the post ( or part if it)

We obviously have different views so let's stop going over old ground and move on.

See you at The Grosvenor Rooms Saturday ? Hope it's a good one !!!

As you will see I never mentioned anyone by name except Sean and that just to comment on one record. I even praised Glyn for his efforts. I never diss'd any other venues or promoters. What is said by others should not be rested at my feet just because I started the post ( or part if it)

We obviously have different views so let's stop going over old ground and move on.

See you at The Grosvenor Rooms Saturday ? Hope it's a good one !!!

I'm lost...am i replying to xss or tezza or are you the same person??

Like Cunnie says "constructive "criticsm is welcome .

I won't be at THE Grosvenor rooms ...don't even know where it is?

Try to enjoy it tho ....look forward to reading your feed back.

well ' ... what a hot topic !

I'm a bit late posting cos my computer has been playing up ... but here we go ..

Alfreton was one of the venues that got Northern soul back up of its arse in these parts... it was the place to be , always great turnouts of fanatstic people, music and total togetherness..

The last "re union" was awsome and there was no reason why this would not have been the same... the time was ripe, the venue spot on, the Dj line up full of icons (that don't include me lol :rolleyes: ) .. so the stage was set for one hell of a day .

what went wrong ... ? ... well ..nowt really ? the main thing was a lack of support, so many "alfreton" people not there who were regulars back in the day .. why I do not know ? but one has to respect that choice .. but there was enough in to create a quite good atmosphere .. I thought anyhow ..

did people enjoy the day ? everyone i talked to was having a great time .. or seemed to be ?

A deck went down .. well thats one of those things , it can happen anytime .. but to be fair another one should have been on hand at such a potential gathering..

did the dj's do the job .. ? lots of great tunes played .. something for all along the way ... not everything floated my boat ,but i'm sure thats every night / niter I go to ... and the same for all I guess ?

One dj not turning up ? .. it happens ... and Brian is one hell of a guy.. not always in the best of health these days ..:(

OV n' Boots ? ... OV only from me ... so not guilty your honour :thumbsup:

no matter how good a soul do is .. some will enjoy ..some not .. some will be indifferent ... and respect to all views should be given, it's always easy to say what could have been done in hindsight .. but for the most part I feel most of the preperation for this all dayer was fine .. but for some reason did not inspire some to make the effort to come along .. ?

thank you Glynn for allowing me to play on the day .. Listen to some of the things said in here and take what you want , leave what you don't .. but you should not leave the scene and music you love ..

all the best , Pete n' Susan

Edited by casper

I'm lost...am i replying to xss or tezza or are you the same person??

Like Cunnie says "constructive "criticsm is welcome .

I won't be at THE Grosvenor rooms ...don't even know where it is?

Try to enjoy it tho ....look forward to reading your feed back.

Nev

if you read the thread you will see that i only moved it from the event page to lookbacks and i alway put name :D hope this helps .

have a great weekend and lets put this to bed :thumbsup:

soulfun and love sam evans

well ' ... what a hot topic !

I'm a bit late posting cos my computer has been playing up ... but here we go ..

Alfreton was one of the venues that got Northern soul back up of its arse in these parts... it was the place to be , always great turnouts of fanatstic people, music and total togetherness..

The last "re union" was awsome and there was no reason why this would not have been the same... the time was ripe, the venue spot on, the Dj line up full of icons (that don't include me lol :rolleyes: ) .. so the stage was set for one hell of a day .

what went wrong ... ? ... well ..nowt really ? the main thing was a lack of support, so many "alfreton" people not there who were regulars back in the day .. why I do not know ? but one has to respect that choice .. but there was enough in to create a quite good atmosphere .. I thought anyhow ..

did people enjoy the day ? everyone i talked to was having a great time .. or seemed to be ?

A deck went down .. well thats one of those things , it can happen anytime .. but to be fair another one should have been on hand at such a potential gathering..

did the dj's do the job .. ? lots of great tunes played .. something for all along the way ... not everything floated my boat ,but i'm sure thats every night / niter I go to ... and the same for all I guess ?

One dj not turning up ? .. it happens ... and Brian is one hell of a guy.. not always in the best of health these days ..:(

OV n' Boots ? ... OV only from me ... so not guilty your honour :thumbsup:

no matter how good a soul do is .. some will enjoy ..some not .. some will be indifferent ... and respect to all views should be given, it's always easy to say what could have been done in hindsight .. but for the most part I feel most of the preperation for this all dayer was fine .. but for some reason did not inspire some to make the effort to come along .. ?

thank you Glynn for allowing me to play on the day .. Listen to some of the things said in here and take what you want , leave what you don't .. but you should not leave the scene and music you love ..

all the best , Pete n' Susan

Pete me owd mate,,,not accusing anyone of playing boots.Just asked for something positive - playlists.

I personalyl dont want to be part of the bitching about this Afternoon Dayer!!

I DO wanna say ALL my records played were pristine ORIGINAL!!

With exception of RL BURNSIDE which is a Carver i had made as this track is LP only and i dont like carrying LPs around with me !!!

I find it IRONIC that the Grosvner Rooms has been mentioned and i belive the DJ from there was the one playing boots!! :yes::lol:

Nige B

I personalyl dont want to be part of the bitching about this Afternoon Dayer!!

I DO wanna say ALL my records played were pristine ORIGINAL!!

With exception of RL BURNSIDE which is a Carver i had made as this track is LP only and i dont like carrying LPs around with me !!!

I find it IRONIC that the Grosvner Rooms has been mentioned and i belive the DJ from there was the one playing boots!! :yes::lol:

Nige B

Pritsine as always Nige.:thumbsup:..no bitching from me...used to frequent the venue and am interested in the tunes played.

hi there mr brown will be seeing you very soon too long has past its time for me to get my arse back on the scene,looking forward to meeting glyn

Hi Ian

Yes been to long bro!! Have very fond memories of the days back then!! You ALWAYS made me very welcome at your dos and we became good pals

I look forward to see ya somewhere soon bro ,,,, Beers on me!!

take care bro

Nige

May or maybe not Ian ,but why all this bitterness ,is it not surely time to leave all the personal stuff behind and move on ? Some of us were into soul in those early days some of us were not ,cant overly remember you at school showing your colours ???? It's the music that maters not our egos

• Helpful 1

if it dont say Ian Marriott Afreton Soul Club it aint Alfreton and btw pete (casper) glyn williams had nothing to do with the reunion of 2006 so please dont associate him to those events

sorry Ian ... have not seen or heard from you since 2006 :huh: thought you had left the scene ? would be nice to see you out n' about again .. to be fair that was a great re union in 2006 .. it was banging ! but really it's the people that come along to remember, re unite and re kindle that make it a re union , not the promoter ... :thumbsup: ... though it would be nice if you and Glynn would one day put it all behind you and forgive n' forget .. life is getting shorter ... thats the one thing for sure .. and there are too many feuds on this scene at times ... :rolleyes: and be probaly no one but yourselves can remember or even care what you fell out over ... but most would be only too pleased to see a friendship re bonded ... there is no better feeling.. wink.gif

pete