Songs That Use Same Arrangement /backing Track

jimmy burns - i really love you - erica

bobby james - i really love you - karol

brand new faces - brand new faces - cant remember label

also...the mystics - i really love you - teako...same song as bobby james / jimmy burns, diferent backing

shirelles - last minute miracle - scepter

linda jones - last minute miracle - loma

ruby winters - last minute miracle - unissued diamond

trade martin - she put the hurt on me - stallion

shirelles - you could be my remedy - unissued scepter

kim weston - i'll never see my love again - gordy

kim weston - do like i do - u.k tamla motown

dave love - baby hard times - worlds

scientists of soul - be'e that way sometimes - kashe

mark v unlimited - gone - sagport

eight minutes - i cant get no higher - perception

plus one other that i cant rember

steve mancha - friday night / monday through thursday - groovesville

jackey beavers - a love that never grows old - revilot

marvellows - why do you want to hurt the one who loves you - loma

ambassadors - if i'm all you've got, i'm all you'll need - arctic

kenny carlton - wait till i get you in my arms - blue rock

major lance - wait till i get you in my arms - okeh

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart - Ric Tic

San Remo Strings - Festival Time - Ric Tic

San Remo Strings - Hungry For Love - Ric Tic

Tony Michaels - I Live The Life I Love - Golden World

Ede Robin - There Must Be A Love Somewhere - Le Cam

Sons Of Moses - Soul Symphony - Coral

Young Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut - Brunswick

Barbara Acklin - Am I The Same Girl - Brunswick

Social source share

"In The Neighborhood" -Jimmy Ruffin

"On The Avenue"-Jimmy Ruffin

There were a LOT more Motown and Detroit tracks used on 2 or more recordings.

As far as the Connections between Chicago's Maurci Records and Detroit's Topper Records I can only guess.

The tracks for "Challenge My Love were DEFINITELY laid down by Dave Hamilton and his people in Detroit. I believe that Maurci Records was Gene Chandler's and SimTec Simmon's label. They had Sonny Sanders as one of their arrangers and McKinley Jackson as producer, songwriter, arranger and A&R man, and Andre Williams was involved a bit. All three had ties in Chicago and Detroit. But, I don't remember Andre Williams or Sonny Sanders working with Dave Hamilton. Nor do I remember McKinley Jackson working with him. But, Andre Williams, and certainly , Sonny Sanders were working mostly in Chicago in 1965-1966. I'd guess that possibly Jackson, who worked a lot more in Detroit than in Chicago, was in the studio when they were recording it, and liked it, and asked Hamilton if he could "buy" it from him if Hamilton's Tobi Lark record failed to do much in sales. OR, someone in Detroit got their hands on a copy of the backing track master tapes and sold them/it to Jackson (he not knowing that it had been used on a released record. We certainly didn't hear "Challenge My Love" on WVON. I don't know if it got radio play outside Detroit. We didn't hear it in Chicago, as I remember.

Most of the other same backing tracks used had fairly clear trails of connections between staff or ownership from one label to the other, or from people who had worked together at one time or another. This one is tough to figure.

Social source share

"In The Neighborhood" -Jimmy Ruffin "On The Avenue"-Jimmy Ruffin There were a LOT more Motown and Detroit tracks used on 2 or more recordings. As far as the Connections between Chicago's Maurci Records and Detroit's Topper Records I can only guess. The tracks for "Challenge My Love were DEFINITELY laid down by Dave Hamilton and his people in Detroit. I believe that Maurci Records was Gene Chandler's and SimTec Simmon's label. They had Sonny Sanders as one of their arrangers and McKinley Jackson as producer, songwriter, arranger and A&R man, and Andre Williams was involved a bit. All three had ties in Chicago and Detroit. But, I don't remember Andre Williams or Sonny Sanders working with Dave Hamilton. Nor do I remember McKinley Jackson working with him. But, Andre Williams, and certainly , Sonny Sanders were working mostly in Chicago in 1965-1966. I'd guess that possibly Jackson, who worked a lot more in Detroit than in Chicago, was in the studio when they were recording it, and liked it, and asked Hamilton if he could "buy" it from him if Hamilton's Tobi Lark record failed to do much in sales. OR, someone in Detroit got their hands on a copy of the backing track master tapes and sold them/it to Jackson (he not knowing that it had been used on a released record. We certainly didn't hear "Challenge My Love" on WVON. I don't know if it got radio play outside Detroit. We didn't hear it in Chicago, as I remember. Most of the other same backing tracks used had fairly clear trails of connections between staff or ownership from one label to the other, or from people who had worked together at one time or another. This one is tough to figure.

Well thought out Robb, I would just add that it is very doubtful that Dave knew anything about it as the writer credits have been changed and Dave knew nothing of them when Gilly & Tats asked him. Maybe Dave Thorley's interview with McKinley which is temporarily inaccessible, mentions it. If only Jerry Long was on the credits, then we'd know what happened! I'll ask Darrell Goolsby again and see if he has any ideas.

Ady

Social source share

Guest Jackdaw

Two on Dore

Dr Love - Whispers & I'm getting back into circulation - Entertainers IV

Also add Hesitations - She won't come back to Lorraine Chandler / Four Sonics

The Jack Ashford album 'Hotel Sheet' has two tracks that use the same backing as Smith Brothers Payback's a drag and There can be a better way. From memory (I'm in work), I think the Payback track is called This aint just another love song.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Sandy Goldern - when we're all alone

The Sweets - something about my baby

E Rodney Jones - R&B time

Bobby Treetop - wait till I get to know you

September Jones - I'm coming home

Billy Sha Rae - Do it

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Sandy Goldern - when we're all alone

The Sweets - something about my baby

E Rodney Jones - R&B time

Bobby Treetop - wait till I get to know you

September Jones - I'm coming home

Billy Sha Rae - Do it

Billy Sha Rae - I'm Gone (cheapie)

Eddie Parker - Ditto (cost yer a bit more)

Both got pressed, or is it reissued?, think Billy Sha Rae before Eddie Parker

TOTP

Social source share

Okay folks,

Don't know if this has been done before.

Just been listening to The Trips There's that mountain & it's quite obviously the same track/arrangement as Richard Temple's That Beatin' Rhythm.

Must be loads of others like this given the way the studios were set up.

Anymore anyone?

p.s., did i imagine it, or did someone one tell me Richard Temple was in fact one Willie Hutch no less?.........or did I dream it?

Four Sonics Plus One.- Tell Me Your Mine. The Hesitations. - She Wont Come Back.

Social source share

Are we talking about the same back track but for different songs, i.e. Len Jewell/Godoy Colbert. Therefore, examples like The Shirelles and Linda Jones both doing Last Minute Miracle, don't count, right? The Tymes and the Superiors 'What Would I Do', as far as I remember are two completely different songs with completely different backing tracks. Same goes for Maxine Nightingale and The Javells. Correct me if wrong.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest veep1296

CHICO LAMARR HOW ABOUT YOU FULLER

same song and backing as

PENETRATIONS SWEET SWEET BABY TERI DE/HIGHLAND

CHICO LAMARR WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM FULLER

same backing as

TRIPS LOVE CANT BE MODERNIZED SOUNDVILLE (also cut by Jimmy Graham & New Group with diff backings)

Social source share

kell osborne - you cant outsmart a woman - loma same backing as "a law against a heartbreaker" - highland

also...the groovers - im a bashful guy - minit / teri de . lola sands - to whom it may concern - bison . soul shakers - im getting weaker - loma and the styles - baby im alive - modern, all share the same backing track

Social source share

jimmy conwell - too much and len jewell - bettin on love

arcades - theres got to be a loser and jesse james - are you gonna leave me

stanley mitchell - get it baby and tony hestor - down in the dumps

cooperettes - shing a ling and irma and the larks - you need love

kim weston - do like i do and i'll never see my love again

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

What's sort of more interesting to me is when they don't reuse the backing track but actually recreate it, so it's a different track that sounds almost the same. They usually put their own writing credits on the new version. There is a bobby jones record on kack where the backing sounds just like a ruby andrews backing track but is totally redone. There is that Jay J Jones on V-tone vs. frankie beverly. There is the cheers "i've made up my mind" versus big jim's border crossing on zanzee

Social source share

Bit late reading this thread. I don't think these two have been mentioned (sorry of they have...or if I'm wrong!!)

Marion Stewart - I must be losing you

LaReine Lamar - That's not the way to love

Pauline Shivers - Wont you come back home

Silk - Falling in love Isn't easy

(...at least the intro anyway!..Thanks Len!)

All the best, Steve

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

jimmy burns - i really love you - erica

bobby james - i really love you - karol

brand new faces - brand new faces - cant remember label

also...the mystics - i really love you - teako...same song as bobby james / jimmy burns, diferent backing

shirelles - last minute miracle - scepter

linda jones - last minute miracle - loma

ruby winters - last minute miracle - unissued diamond

trade martin - she put the hurt on me - stallion

shirelles - you could be my remedy - unissued scepter

kim weston - i'll never see my love again - gordy

kim weston - do like i do - u.k tamla motown

dave love - baby hard times - worlds

scientists of soul - be'e that way sometimes - kashe

mark v unlimited - gone - sagport

eight minutes - i cant get no higher - perception

plus one other that i cant rember

steve mancha - friday night / monday through thursday - groovesville

jackey beavers - a love that never grows old - revilot

marvellows - why do you want to hurt the one who loves you - loma

ambassadors - if i'm all you've got, i'm all you'll need - arctic

kenny carlton - wait till i get you in my arms - blue rock

major lance - wait till i get you in my arms - okeh

Brand new faces were on LAjuna
Social source share

One that I like is on Blue Rock, by Alcon Shades, and it's "twin" is Johnny Robinson "Gone But Not Forgotten" Okeh

(dunno why i sold that alcon shades? shouldn't have)

has anybody shouted up on the ZZ Hill "Dont Make Promises" & Eddie Rey "Something of Value" ? (there are sooo many vinyl versions out there in 'pop world' of this tune, found 20 odd from it's originator Tim Hardin, Georgie Fame, Bobby Darin, Gary Lewis & Playboys, Marianne Faithfull,Joan Baez, etc I don't know about that area of pop music but guess some on here may, there's one listed by Paul Weller, is this him doing a version or si that another song entirely?)

Social source share

"there must be a love somewhere",ede robin,er i cannot remember the other version(s) same with "rock me till i want no more",phil lowman,ph34r.gif:unsure:

Wont it Major Bill Smiths output, vocal to soul symphony?

How about Johnny Sayles track on UK Liberty (US Minit) records that has the same backing track to the Accents "who you gonna etc" on ONEDERFUL.

Whats your thoughts?

TOTP

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Van McCoy Strings, Sweet and Easy /// Brenda & the Tabulations, A Love You Can Depend On

George Young and the Youngsters, Sayin' Somethin' /// Rufus Thomas, Funky Mississippi (this one's a real head-scratcher)

Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band, Brown Sugar /// Zu Zu Blues Band, Zu Zu Man

The Stokes, Young Man Old Man /// Benny Spellman, The Word Game

100 Proof Aged in Soul, Somebody's Been Sleeping /// Syl Johnson, That's Why 

Junior Wells, You Oughta Quit That /// Junior Wells, That Will Hold Me

Jackie & Tut, 10-2 Double Plus /// Gabriel, The Buzzard Lope

The Sounds of Lane, Tracks to Your Mind /// Mickey Lee Lane, Hey Sah-No-Ley

Chuck Cornish, A Tribute to Muhammad Ali /// Senator Jones, Do You Love Me

Edited by weingarden
Social source share

Rockmasters - Raining Teardrops - Romulus

Sapphires - Who Do You Love - Swan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMTdtaX5VQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwQP6DgFwk

Completely different writers credits so can't see the connection

Can anyone remind me what the record with the same backing as Appreciations - She Never Really Loved Me - Sport is as it's driving me nuts trying to remember.

Edited by grouse
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!