Soul Sam's 70Th @ Broughton

Guest Brian Ellis

Guest Brian Ellis

SATURDAY 20th AUGUST

There are a few celebratory events around the country to mark Sam's 70th birthday.

And we're doing it at Broughton which is Sam's 'home' venue on Saturday 20th August. We hope to do it in style with a line-up of all the North Wales DJs doing a night of double-decking, with a fantastic cross-section of soul music. So if you want to be part of this NS legend's celebrations you'd be most welcome at Broughton.

DJ line-up includes Chico, Steve Thomas, Mark Speakman, Phil Blacknell, Kevin Jones, Brian Ellis - and completing the night with a solo spot of stunners - Soul Sam.

If anyone would like to send a message to Sam (positive ones only please !!) feel free to PM it to me and I will build up a 'book' of messages to present to Sam on the night - would be a fitting way of expressing your appreciation of his major contribution to this great scene.

Broughton is a fabulous venue with a huge bar serving drinks at credit crunch-busting prices, we've continued to keep entry prices low, so there'll definitely be plenty of change left in your pocket on Sunday morning, Add to that a plush, air conditioned room with a superb dancefloor and great sound system and one of the friendliest crowds you'll find anywhere.

So if you're open-minded about your soul music then you'll find Broughton hitting almost every spot.

Very easy to find off Junction 35(a) west-bound on A55 expressway. Loads of very safe parking (security guard protected) right alongside clubhouse.

For Sat Navvers it's: CH4 0DR

Brian thumbsup.gif

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

SATURDAY 20th AUGUST

There are a few celebratory events around the country to mark Sam's 70th birthday.

And we're doing it at Broughton which is Sam's 'home' venue on Saturday 20th August. We hope to do it in style with a line-up of all the North Wales DJs doing a night of double-decking, with a fantastic cross-section of soul music. So if you want to be part of this NS legend's celebrations you'd be most welcome at Broughton.

DJ line-up includes Chico, Steve Thomas, Mark Speakman, Phil Blacknell, Kevin Jones, Brian Ellis - and completing the night with a solo spot of stunners - Soul Sam.

If anyone would like to send a message to Sam (positive ones only please !!) feel free to PM it to me and I will build up a 'book' of messages to present to Sam on the night - would be a fitting way of expressing your appreciation of his major contribution to this great scene.

Broughton is a fabulous venue with a huge bar serving drinks at credit crunch-busting prices, we've continued to keep entry prices low, so there'll definitely be plenty of change left in your pocket on Sunday morning, Add to that a plush, air conditioned room with a superb dancefloor and great sound system and one of the friendliest crowds you'll find anywhere.

So if you're open-minded about your soul music then you'll find Broughton hitting almost every spot.

Very easy to find off Junction 35(a) west-bound on A55 expressway. Loads of very safe parking (security guard protected) right alongside clubhouse.

For Sat Navvers it's: CH4 0DR

Brian :thumbsup:

Hi Brian

Have a great night

Martin aka Soul Sam is a great legend to the soul scence and to have him at Hinckley 6th august for is birthday is just great, I sould say for one of his birthday nights as he's such a legend only sam could have 3 birthday night . :hatsoff2::lol: IN AUGUST

LIKE I'VE SAID HAVE A GREAT TIME :thumbsup: , LEGENDS LIKE SOUL SAM ONLY COME AROUND ONCE IN A LIFE TIME.......

Soulfun and Love Sam Evans

Guest Brian Ellis

Thanks Sam - hope you too have a good night. Have known, and collected records alongside Martin since 1969 (when he was 28 and still had a little bit of hair :lol: ). Clearly he carried on with the collecting at a much greater volume than I did. He taught my daughter; he attended my wedding - we go back a long time.

I think it's good to be celebrating this great milestone within the soul scene; don't think any of the other 'heavyweight' DJs are anywhere near 70...................... yet !! Wonder how many will still be DJing and have the same ongoing level of enthusiasm Sam has when/if they get there?

Sam having 3 birthdays in one month - wow, even more than The Queen :ohmy: .

Talking of The Queen - the guy should get an honours nomination ...... for services to the greatest music scene in the country

Edited by Brian Ellis
  • 3 weeks later...

Brian, Thought it was time to warm this thread up, & to let you know, have spoken

to the lad's & we're all so looking forward to this........Big mile stone for the old codger,

but there just ain't no stopping the guy.....Spoke to him at the "Radcliffe" allnighter last

saturday & he can't wait to get us all together for his big 70...........

Let's make it a night to remember for Sam, & I hope there's a few people out there

that would like to come along & enjoy this special night...........

It's a great Club , Cheap entry & great bar prices, with some of the best Local DJs

& music you could wish for............

Looking forward............Chico & Pat.............................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Brian Ellis

You're right Chico, we need to give him a night to remember on his 'home ground'. Into our 12th year now at the Wings - can't believe how the time has gone so quickly - Sam was only 58 when we started it all off - and he doesn't look a day older.

Was going to say he had more hair back then - but that was when he was 28 not 58 :lol:

Should be a great night of double decking and hopefully big dancefloor input - see you in a fortnight. :thumbsup:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Guest Brian Ellis

Just had the first PM message to incorporate into the card we're putting together for Sam (thanks Derek and Janet).

Bit disappointed there have been no others, but still a couple of weeks for anyone who is unable to make the venue on the night to put together a few words of appreciation for what Sam has done over almost half a century of dedication to the scene.

Look forward to receiving more in the next few days - thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

will be great a nite at airospace looking forward to it un celabrating Sam 70th @ broughton

hoping to be there for around 9.45 but like john E , HAVE TO HELP ANOTHER COAST LEGAND "PAUL ROCKY "

WITH HIS BIRTHDAY BASH FIRST , HE A BIG 60

STEVE T

Not been to Broughton in long time......so lookin forward to it!! What time does it finish?

Guest Brian Ellis

Not been to Broughton in long time......so lookin forward to it!! What time does it finish?

Look forward to seeing you there.

Usual end-time of 12.45am - we've tried for 11 years to get it running beyond this time, but the COMMITTEE won't agree to it. Still, we try to cram in as much quality in the time available.

There's loads of people coming according to my sources, so hope to give Sam a fabulous night to remember.

Source Advert