Nowt Fast, Nowt Furious Part Ii

so, part two then?

been a while coming but.......

if it's worth having, it's worth waiting for.

the Grantham Squash Club (just off the A1)

sat Aug 27th

8pm / 01am

£5 OTD

hosts:

MICK COOPER

BARRY COOPER (no relation)

STEVE 'JAY' JACKSON (also no relation)

guests:

MARK WHITELY (Barnsley Chill-Out room)

MICK & MO (from all over the fookin place)

pure Mid Tempo Soul including: NORTHERN - CROSSOVER - MODERN (and even the odd RnB) but ALL MID-TEMPO (nowt fast, nowt furious)

post-9305-0-47752000-1311257098_thumb.jp

• Replies 81
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It seems a very long time since the first one Mick, sooooo looking forward to this, if its only half as good as the last one then we are in for another great soulful mid tempo night.

Barry

Indeed Mick I will make sure I pack it along with my 'Things To Do In Grantham' Guide :lol:

Looking forward to this one, great venue and great concept.

See ya soon

M & L :hatsoff2:

i should be careful Mark, it's got to be a lot heavier than a 'things to do in Grantham' guide, which has one page and one paragraph, and i quote (as an ex Stamfordian) "When in grantham, dance to mid-tempo soul then find the nearest exit!" :shhh:

(best hire a disguise for the 27th now.... I know, i'll wear some spencers & a vest!... shall I quit now while i'm still alive? :yes:

Missed the last one as it clashed with Bamberg, should be over for this one though :thumbsup:

Hi John, it will be great if you can make it over......in the meantime I'll see you at Mansfield next week.

Barry

quick guest dee-jay profile #1

MARK WHITELEY: :rofl:

well, erm.... his first name is Mark and his surname is Whiteley.....

struggling here Barry, help!

Okay, un-official, what do I know about Mark.....

First met mark @ Mexborough when he and Geordie were running an alternate room to the 'oldies' room @ the empress in the days Yocky & co used to run it (proper nights some may say).

When I say an alternate room it was actually a bit of the bar area which meant all the 'baggies' could peek in and see and hear there was something new to do if they so wished. :ohmy:

Although the 'area' itself wasn't stunning in it's physicality it was deemed as a great success by me and many others and that success was based upon the tunes Mark, Geordie & guests would play. :yes:

Modern / cross-over - 70's - mid or up tempo but each tune packed full of soul,

(while in the 'rammed' oldies room tunes like Skankey get funky and Back Slop were bringing the house down.. proper dancin' tunes but far from soulful. blink.png

Mark moved with Yocky & co to the Metrodome in Barnsley and heads (with Geordie) the now famous 'Chill Out Zone' a dance studio dedicated to modern/crossover/70s etc. etc. :thumbsup:

Barry, Steve and myself welcome Mark down from God's Own Country with open arms ad look forawrd to bot his company and his tunes. :thumbup:

next a bit on Mick & Mo (might have to make that bit up if I can't find Mick hangin' round Skegg in the next two weeks!) :wicked:

quick guest dee-jay profile #1

MARK WHITELEY: :rofl:

well, erm.... his first name is Mark and his surname is Whiteley.....

struggling here Barry, help!

Mark alongside Geordie I believe ran the Friendship Boys soul venue in the Barnsley area,(which I did visit once in the days before we knew each other) Mark has played at many a quality soul venues in the area, we also had him guesting at A1 soul last year, having heard him many times I know he will great at this mid-tempo night......

Okay, un-official, what do I know about Mark.....

First met mark @ Mexborough when he and Geordie were running an alternate room to the 'oldies' room @ the empress in the days Yocky & co used to run it (proper nights some may say).

When I say an alternate room it was actually a bit of the bar area which meant all the 'baggies' could peek in and see and hear there was something new to do if they so wished. :ohmy:

Although the 'area' itself wasn't stunning in it's physicality it was deemed as a great success by me and many others and that success was based upon the tunes Mark, Geordie & guests would play. :yes:

Modern / cross-over - 70's - mid or up tempo but each tune packed full of soul,

(while in the 'rammed' oldies room tunes like Skankey get funky and Back Slop were bringing the house down.. proper dancin' tunes but far from soulful. blink.png

Mark moved with Yocky & co to the Metrodome in Barnsley and heads (with Geordie) the now famous 'Chill Out Zone' a dance studio dedicated to modern/crossover/70s etc. etc. :thumbsup:

Barry, Steve and myself welcome Mark down from God's Own Country with open arms ad look forawrd to bot his company and his tunes. :thumbup:

next a bit on Mick & Mo (might have to make that bit up if I can't find Mick hangin' round Skegg in the next two weeks!) :wicked:

Edited by Guest
Guest just mo

'allo peeps.... :)

Mick and myself are really looking forward to this. Will be good to play some tunes for like minded people :yes:

Hopefully got a few nice bits for y'all.

Looking forward to Mark's spot. Haven't heard him for a while and he always plays a nice spot. :yes:

And Mark, good luck with the 'Things to do in Grantham' :lol:

See y'all sooooon.

Mick and Mo

okay, first of all the MICK part of Mick & Mo.

Mick (Smith) is a skeggy lad and he's so famous for his rare soul (much of which is neither fast nor furious) that they have put a statue up in the 'Aqua Lounge' on the top floor of the Grand Central in his honour.

(scroll down to see statue being put in place)

.post-9305-0-76647900-1312124724_thumb.jp

(when questioned about Micks' plastering skills his colleagues said (in a mixture of Latvian and Polish) "Nowt Fast and Nowt Furious suits Mick because that's how he is at work, definitely Not fast or Furious)

times for Aug 27th:

8:00 / 9:00 - MICK COOPER

9:00 / 9:30 - STEVE 'JAY'

9:30 / 10:30 - MARK WHITELEY

10:30 / 11:00 - STEVE 'JAY'

11:00 / 12:00 - MICK & MO

12:00 / 01:00 - BARRY COOPER

mmmmmmm 5 hours of the toppest quality mid-tempo northern and rare soul... 'nuff said

This night should be at the top of the "must attend events list " of all Soul loving folks for does it not promise to be something rather special?

Barry spoke to me last week to check I was still ok to come :ohmy:, Barry I wouldnt want to miss out on this event as it seems ages since the very first one ,really just cant wait :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

See ya there

Steve

Guest just mo

Hi Mo, can you put a little bit about yourself on this thread please Angel, save me some work, I'll make the stuff up about Mick, he'll never notice!!!! xx

Well, there isn't a lot to say Mick. I'm just me :huh:

Been doing this for a long time. Been a bit of an anorak!

It's a real pleasure to be able to play the sort of music that i've always preferred :yes:

As for favourite tune...........has to be the last sort after buy or the one that's being hunted for!!

We will be playing some of the above here :thumbsup:

Edited by just mo

okay, first of all the MICK part of Mick & Mo.

Mick (Smith) is a skeggy lad and he's so famous for his rare soul (much of which is neither fast nor furious) that they have put a statue up in the 'Aqua Lounge' on the top floor of the Grand Central in his honour.

(scroll down to see statue being put in place)

.post-9305-0-76647900-1312124724_thumb.jp

(when questioned about Micks' plastering skills his colleagues said (in a mixture of Latvian and Polish) "Nowt Fast and Nowt Furious suits Mick because that's how he is at work, definitely Not fast or Furious)

OK Coops , day sorted ,as I missed the first one I cannot miss the second one .Looking forward already.

p.s why is Mick useing a bucket ?, can't he use the thunder trap like the rest of us

OK Coops , day sorted ,as I missed the first one I cannot miss the second one .Looking forward already.

p.s why is Mick useing a bucket ?, can't he use the thunder trap like the rest of us

a 'thunder trap' may speed his work rate up, being paid by the hour one wouldn't want that... remember mak... nowt fast, nowt furious!!!!

Been too long! First night was absolutely superb, so looking forward to part 2 in a few weeks. Hopefully me, Len and perhaps some others from Northants.

All the best, Steve :thumbsup:

hi steve, it'll be great to see the 'younger' element there again making us old buggers feel even older! :shhh::thumbsup:

Skegness stalwart and mid-tempo maestro 'Biz' warming up for the event......

caught me drinking shorts again mick, might have to take a big glass the beers so cheap there

Been too long! First night was absolutely superb, so looking forward to part 2 in a few weeks. Hopefully me, Len and perhaps some others from Northants.

All the best, Steve :thumbsup:

Hope you can make it again Steve, less than three weeks now, a night for mid tempo sounds but also tunes you can dance to, from northern, motown, modern, crossover & R & B in fact all sorts of soul music.

Barry

Hi Mick, Steve, Barry, M&M,

Jo and I will be there. Nice venue this, with Magners on draft !

Cheers, Ray

you're both more than welcome Ray, if it's as good as caliente last friday it'll be a top night my friend (not sure about the magners though.... if Mr. Seaman goes you'll have to be quick getting 'em in) :thumbsup:

Edited by coops

Hi Guys,

I'm in a bit of a rush as got to get kids to childminder and me to work - 'Stress, stress, stress'.....So am looking forward to this night as it will be 'Just what the doctor ordered'

Mick 'n' Mo - Great taste and every record I've ever mentioned to Mo, she knows! (So much for me being 'Cutting edge' lol)

See you 'On the boards'!

Len.

Hi Guys,

I'm in a bit of a rush as got to get kids to childminder and me to work - 'Stress, stress, stress'.....So am looking forward to this night as it will be 'Just what the doctor ordered'

Mick 'n' Mo - Great taste and every record I've ever mentioned to Mo, she knows! (So much for me being 'Cutting edge' lol)

See you 'On the boards'!

Len.

Len with you coming along I guess I will have to sort out a very nice shirt to wear :thumbsup: , and Mick really want to thank you for the 2 x1/2 spots , I guess youve heard about my bladder problem 60 mins sure can be a long time :ohmy: .Seriously folks whatever else you do August Bank Holiday weekend , YOU NEED TO ATTEND THIS :yes: ,

Steve

hi steve, it'll be great to see the 'younger' element there again making us old buggers feel even older! :shhh::thumbsup:

Not so much "younger" Mick...We're just the wrong side of 40 now (and our knees creek just as much as yours I reckon...well, almost!) :thumbsup:

Hope you can make it again Steve, less than three weeks now, a night for mid tempo sounds but also tunes you can dance to, from northern, motown, modern, crossover & R & B in fact all sorts of soul music.

Barry

Wouldn't miss it for the world Barry. There's a superb local soul band playing within waking distance of me the same night so I might pop there with the kids first, but will be plenty of time to still enjoy the sort of sounds we heard last time at your night. Great that there's no "trophy waving" at Nowt Fast Nowt Furious, just superb soul all night. :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

See you 'On the boards'!

Len.

That's what I like to see Len!...In a rush and need to sort the kids out + get to work, but make priority to get a post on Soul Source :D See you this Saturday, and the one after, oh..and then the one after that for this great night! :thumbsup:My missus will soon feel like a "Soul Widow"!

That's what I like to see Len!...In a rush and need to sort the kids out + get to work, but make priority to get a post on Soul Source :D See you this Saturday, and the one after, oh..and then the one after that for this great night! :thumbsup:My missus will soon feel like a "Soul Widow"!

:lol: - Yes, the kids can be a bit of a bind sometime, did you know, they need feeding EVERY DAY?!!! lol

...You can't say I didn't warn you about the Soul-scene being 'All consuming' can you mate? :(:) (Apologies to the wife!)

Are my South Yorkshire Friends aware of this photographic tom-foolery Mick ? :ohmy:

Do you really know who you are dealing with? :shhh:

Are you prepared for retribution? :wicked:

Be afraid, Be very afraid ! :wicked:

I just hope that the frequent visitor to my place,( you know my little round friend), doesn't hi-jack my playbox

and fill it full of stompers, better be on my gaurd :sleep3:

See ya soon

M.

Edited by MarkWhiteley

Are my South Yorkshire Friends aware of this photographic tom-foolery Mick ? :ohmy:

Do you really know who you are dealing with? :shhh:

Are you prepared for retribution? :wicked:

Be afraid, Be very afraid ! :wicked:

I just hope that the frequent visitor to my place,( you know my little round friend), doesn't hi-jack my playbox

and fill it full of stompers, better be on my gaurd :sleep3:

See ya soon

M.

Who the F**KS thi little round friend T**T

Guest Brett F

I'm a lover of mid- tempo, and it's a fine line up of dj's , but what i'm struggling with is who decides when the tempo strays from mid-to say up, a lot of brilliant 70's,80's tunes that fit in with a mid-tempo set, i think the premise of as you say Mick 'Nowt fast and furious, is quite restricting on the dj, and (just my viewpoint) could stifle the dj and that is a shame, i know Mick & Mo and Mark Whiteley well and also have heard and know their take (excellent too) on soul. I'd be interested in seeing the playlists, because i'd for one hate to be restricted in my choice of soul, this isn't a criticism just an opinion. I would have definitely come to this but i'm afraid i'm playing elsewhere, hopefully ill make a future date, and i'll be there with my tempo gauge... :wink:

Brett

Edited by Brett F

I'm a lover of mid- tempo, and it's a fine line up of dj's , but what i'm struggling with is who decides when the tempo strays from mid-to say up, a lot of brilliant 70's,80's tunes that fit in with a mid-tempo set, i think the premise of as you say Mick 'Nowt fast and furious, is quite restricting on the dj, and (just my viewpoint) could stifle the dj and that is a shame, i know Mick & Mo and Mark Whiteley well and also have heard and know their take (excellent too) on soul. I'd be interested in seeing the playlists, because i'd for one hate to be restricted in my choice of soul, this isn't a criticism just an opinion. I would have definitely come to this but i'm afraid i'm playing elsewhere, hopefully ill make a future date, and i'll be there with my tempo gauge... :wink:

Brett

all i can say brett is it worked at the first event.

the dee-jays both resident and guesting are to judge themselves what they feel isn't fast or furious, quite simple really, they're all experienced tunesmiths and lovers of mid tempo soul.

if a dee-jay takes what is perceived as a liberty in the speed of a tune the gathered 'public' may show said dee-jay a yellow card then the dee-jay will see he has overstepped the mark in the eyes of the most important person there... the person who travelled and paid to come in and listen/dance to mid-tempo soul

democracy, or pretty damned close!

it's not our event, we just facilitate it for the benefit of fellow lovers of mid-tempo soul :wink:

I can see Bretts point but as Mick said, it did work at the first one. I was playing some tunes at home last night and every so often I wondered if I could get away with one at Grantham. I was saying to myself...mmm, I wonder if that's too fast - God, I think it may even be boarding on Furious!...Am I allowed to tweek the speed down? lol (I'm on in December you see)

My worry with this event is that it may only appeal to a very small minority, whereas billing it as 'Underplayed' would more than likely appeal to more, you only have to put the word 'Rare' on flyers and that can put people off.

It's working at present and I presume Mick will change things if need be. Maybe 'Underplayed, focusing on the Midtempo side of thangs' if change is ever needed.

All the best,

Len.

I can see Bretts point but as Mick said, it did work at the first one. I was playing some tunes at home last night and every so often I wondered if I could get away with one at Grantham. I was saying to myself...mmm, I wonder if that's too fast - God, I think it may even be boarding on Furious!...Am I allowed to tweek the speed down? lol (I'm on in December you see)

My worry with this event is that it may only appeal to a very small minority, whereas billing it as 'Underplayed' would more than likely appeal to more, you only have to put the word 'Rare' on flyers and that can put people off.

It's working at present and I presume Mick will change things if need be. Maybe 'Underplayed, focusing on the Midtempo side of thangs' if change is ever needed.

All the best,

Len.

thanks for that len, great to see you and steve at the 'old mans' birthday event in thorne sat. :thumbsup:

all dee-jays booked have the experience to know as to whether they should 'push' the mid-tempo boundary or not, it's up to them, they're all very, very good dee-jays and will know what to do. :thumbup:

the 'tag line' is Nowt Fast and Nowt Furious, and as long as it ain't fast (100 mph) or furious (a cacophony of 100 mph sounding soul-less noise) then it'd be fine, quite a big scope there really. :yes:

pushing boundaries is fine, smashing them down just to make a point is something i feel the team won't do.

there's mid tempo RnB, Modern, Cross, Northern from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2yk massive scope without being Fast or Furious. :wink:

don't want to put 'rare' tag on or 'rarely played' tag because one mans' Rare is another mans' Common. :g:

we most certainly don't want to tell the dee-jays what to play (as some promoters oft do) we're just respectfully asking them if they could please avoid Fast and Furious, there's enough venues that provide that type of soul. :thumbup:

phew! :rofl:

sorry to go on a bit :sleep3: but it's simple really :g:

Nowt Fast, Nowt Furious but anyother type of danceable soul will be fine :yes:

Edited by coops
Guest sharon k

Hi Guys, Gutted can't make it :( , you no the score working in skegness, bank holiday weekend etc !

Definately make the next one :yes: , Have a blast ! :thumbup:

Sharon K x