Wanted

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What would you call it, "The Allnighter From Hell"?

fry811-1a.jpg

plastic sandals and wedge haircut optional? :)

Karen, I'm just listening to the CD Dave sent me, really enjoying it, but a whole night of it? The flyer would have to be very specific and IMO couldn't include the word northern. The Milton Floyd track you've put up, fits to me, but you have to bear in mind my ears are completely uneducated to this sort of stuff :)

Social source share

there always opportunity for variety even in a sub genre like funky northern, perhaps a night of this kind of sound would be plausible, but I think it would take a while to build a litle scene around it before anyone would want to venture into nighter territory.

Social source share

I wonder if there's nights out there already that I don't know about.

Plenty of nights that feature this style, not sure if anyone would claim to play just funky northern, its a risk for any promoter to stick there neck out by pinning it down to just one style. Most of the more progressive nights advertise a variety of styles will by played throughout the night.

Social source share

Keb used to do funk nights in London, not sure if he still does, Madam JoJo's I think it was.

not for a year or so. 'if you dont like 50s you can f*ck off' is now his strap line.

Snowboy took over his friday night slot so more funk, boogaloo, latin, mambo, rnb now.

Social source share

not for a year or so. 'if you dont like 50s you can f*ck off' is now his strap line.

Snowboy took over his friday night slot so more funk, boogaloo, latin, mambo, rnb now.

ooops was just gonna repeat what you said, sorry

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

cheers Karen, good 45 and you can easily pick it up on ebay for a around 40 USD. As has already been said, a lot of venues play sounds like this these days. The record in question I must admit doesnt sound any good played out loud at a big room event. Have it myself , never ever played it out, then I heard it last year at the Hamburg Soul Weeekender boat trip (maybe John Weston or Brett Franklin playing it?) and it sounded brilliant, next time I heard it played out was at the European Manchester Soul Weekender and it didnt do anything (not only not for me)...a case of "play at home only" maybe just like that ace Nancy Lee 45 "No Words For Love" MoDo. Awesome record too but sounds dreadful via loud speakers...

Is it just me ?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Marc, must have been John because i ain't got it !!, I like it but as for a night of it, well that would be just too much up- tempo for me, i enjoy the funk edged tunes but like a good meal i'd use it as seasoning in a set....If you sorta' know what i mean...

See you this October mate.

Brett

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert