Articles: Marvin Gaye - ( Artist Of The Week)

• Replies 35
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think this ought to be a Landfill recording.

Can't hack it - and I'm not enamoured on the rest of the LP either.

Prefer all of the tracks on MPG.

That's pretty much what Berry Gordy said - Marvin ignored him!

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think this ought to be a Landfill recording.

Can't hack it - and I'm not enamoured on the rest of the LP either.

Prefer all of the tracks on MPG.

Intresting comment ! i read a lot of your posts etc and rate you as a very knowledgable person with decent taste, im not having a go or questioning your preference but would like to understand why you feel this track should be landfill ? is it the tempo. instrumentation, vocal or the fact its basically so commercial now as its played everywhere... i really am intrested in your opinion and explanation m8, regards charlie

Social source share

Intresting comment ! i read a lot of your posts etc and rate you as a very knowledgable person with decent taste, im not having a go or questioning your preference but would like to understand why you feel this track should be landfill ? is it the tempo. instrumentation, vocal or the fact its basically so commercial now as its played everywhere... i really am intrested in your opinion and explanation m8, regards charlie

I think the lyrics are bit trite (sounds like he had one hand on his rhyming dictionary at the end of every line) and the musical backing is generally lacking in oomph.

His vocal can't really be faulted, I just find it's a bit wishy washy at best.

It's a 'go to' album for compilers of 'greatest album' lists, who are either very lazy or clueless (so they reel out the same cliched top ten).

Commercial or not holds no sway in my argument - one of my top ten 45s of all time was a massives 70s Philly hit.

Social source share

I think the lyrics are bit trite (sounds like he had one hand on his rhyming dictionary at the end of every line) and the musical backing is generally lacking in oomph.

It's a 'go to' album for compilers of 'greatest album' lists, who are either very lazy or clueless (so they reel out the same cliched top ten).

Commercial or not holds no sway in my argument - one of my top ten 45s of all time was a massives 70s Philly hit.

respect to you m8. well answered ..... thankyou

Social source share

On 28/07/2011 at 21:19, pikeys dog said:

It's definately popular - infact somone on here PM'd me yesterday asking if I wanted to sell my copy. 

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest pauldicko

Great tune

post-3740-0-56023100-1311878614_thumb.jpg

GOTTA AGREE WITH YOU MATE - TOP TUNE - VOCALS AND ARRANGEMENT.

Edited by pauldicko
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

from our video gallery feature

Documentary into making of "Transit Ostend", Marvin Gaye's 1981 documentary prior to the beginning of his two-day Belgium tour that year and documenting the final three years of his life. Directed by Richard Olivier.

Social source share

image.png.fc3f2f2b7c4ecac2f3edb299e7464457.pngimage.png.3a6fa87d0b6c269f678eb7eb49c222e3.pngimage.png.fa99552c2588963ba7248496f25501c1.png

Marvin's First Ever Lead Vocal (Chess)  & Marvin' s First for Tamla & the Demo (Witchcraft) for his first Album That Bombed! 

Joint Song Writer with Harvey Fuqua on Mamma Loucie

Harvey Fuqua was later to become Berry's Brother in Law (as did Marvin) as Harvey married Gwen Berry's sister. Berry was later to secure all of the Anna, Harvey, Tri-Phi , Message & other music catalogues on the insolvency of the labels.

image.png

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!