Naughty Boy: Jackie Day

Not me I'm afraid Ady, I never went to the Stafford allnighters, I only went there up to 1980...John Pugh will know

Without finding my notes ( and that aint gonna happen any time soon) my guess would be 1984-85. Here's my thinking. Guy says he started DJ'ing at TOTW summer 83 and it wasn't in his early sets. The record lasted as a popular dancefloor record for quite a decent amount of time at TOTW, so it probably wasnt anywhere near the end.

From memory pretty sure Guy told me he played it at somewhere like Derby at a soul nite or some club where there was a party where lots of soulies were, then later the same nite he played it for the first time at Stafford, so it's first Niter play was at TOTW (unless Rod or Dave played it anywhere? but I've never heard anybody say that)

btw it's the first record I use when somebody who doesn't know what Northern is, asks to hear the sound of N/S.

Social source share

Without finding my notes ( and that aint gonna happen any time soon) my guess would be 1984-85. Here's my thinking. Guy says he started DJ'ing at TOTW summer 83 and it wasn't in his early sets. The record lasted as a popular dancefloor record for quite a decent amount of time at TOTW, so it probably wasnt anywhere near the end.

From memory pretty sure Guy told me he played it at somewhere like Derby at a soul nite or some club where there was a party where lots of soulies were, then later the same nite he played it for the first time at Stafford, so it's first Niter play was at TOTW (unless Rod or Dave played it anywhere? but I've never heard anybody say that)

btw it's the first record I use when somebody who doesn't know what Northern is, asks to hear the sound of N/S.

It was a 21st party at The Top of the World in Derby according to Guy, played it three times in a row. Then later at Stafford.

Social source share

Hi John i remember being in Guys house with Graham Anthony and him saying im sure the producers had a vision of what Wigan would be like 10 years later when they made this. Strangley or not :lol:it took ages for the oldies crowd to latch on to it

Have they latched on to it Ted? Wouldnt have thought it would get much reaction at oldies nights round here :huh:

Referring to John Pugh's comment, am I the only one who doesnt like this record? Its another Lady In green for me :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Steve i thought you had taste mate :ohmy:

im with Steve never did it for me but i do like Lady in green :D plenty of these about now or is it rarer than i think ??

Social source share

When was it first a) discovered, b) played; presumably by Guy at Stafford.

It was "discovered" by me in 1967, along with the Terri Goodnight 45 also on Phelectron records, at Pat's Records in South-Central Los Angeles (Corner of Vernon Ave. & San Pedro Place) in a 50 cent sale. The pair cost me one Dollar. I traded both to Rod Shard for a bunch of rare Detroit Records (he gathered over a few years) -we consumated the trade in the early-mid 1980s. 1984 sounds about right. He started playing it immediately. I traded him a fair amount of '60s NS records starting the late '70s through the 1980s. Several of the records he "broke" came from me.

I had looked through millions of 45s, and don't remember ever seeing another Phelectron record, either before or after. Does anyone know who owned Phelectron Records?

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest uroffal

1985/86?

Alright mate?

Reckon it was '84, was certainly played first when I was attending Stafford regularly, which would have been late '83 (as already stated wasn't in Guy's early Stafford sets) to mid '85, then took a break (returning to find Stafford had closed).

Social source share

Alright mate?

Reckon it was '84, was certainly played first when I was attending Stafford regularly, which would have been late '83 (as already stated wasn't in Guy's early Stafford sets) to mid '85, then took a break (returning to find Stafford had closed).

I just wrote 1984 because that was the first year Ady listed. It was some time in the early '80s. It could have been 1983, or even 1982 that Rod got it from me.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I had looked through millions of 45s, and don't remember ever seeing another Phelectron record, either before or after. Does anyone know who owned Phelectron Records?

Kev Roberts told me that Johnnie Cochran (yes, the OJ Simpson Johnny Cochran) was Jackie Day's boyfriend and he owned the label.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Not forgetting the handful(?) of copies that surfaced on ebay from the same seller a couple of years now was it? I think they came from L.A dealer and from (memory) a closed store. Was this the same store / source as the 'West Coast' find JM & others were involved in?

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

were they not also copies in that L.A find. always seems to be a record that crops up pretty regularly and certainly gotta be one of the commonist four figure records..its a good record tho .....................now terri goodnight that is rare only thing is... its a f**kin terrible record

dave

Social source share

Guest Preems

Not forgetting the handful(?) of copies that surfaced on ebay from the same seller a couple of years now was it? I think they came from L.A dealer and from (memory) a closed store. Was this the same store / source as the 'West Coast' find JM & others were involved in?

Maybe you are referring to the ones from Ray Dobard's estate, the owner of Music City records, an Oakland label / distributor?

Social source share

Maybe you are referring to the ones from Ray Dobard's estate, the owner of Music City records, an Oakland label / distributor?

Makes sense as the find a few years ago was in Oakland and after the intial sales and a few panic sellers supply seems to have dried up again.

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Must be. Just seen this quote on SoulfulDetroit site. Exaggeration? Tongue in Cheek? Who knows. As Mr Tag states.all copies seem to have gone now anyway.

'Richard Searling announced this on his radio show and mentioned that enough copies of Jackie Day's 'Naughty Boy' were found to wedge his studio door open'

Social source share

That nice Mr Cunliffe now has my old one as I recall and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it got an outing at Radcliffe tomorrow. (Still love it but, if memory serves, it had to go in part-ex unfortunately).

Social source share

Have they latched on to it Ted? Wouldnt have thought it would get much reaction at oldies nights round here :huh:

Referring to John Pugh's comment, am I the only one who doesnt like this record? Its another Lady In green for me :ohmy:

You're half right Steve,Magnetics is the biz...whereas Naughty Boy is just plain naughty.Good for wedging doors open with.

Social source share

That nice Mr Cunliffe now has my old one as I recall and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it got an outing at Radcliffe tomorrow. (Still love it but, if memory serves, it had to go in part-ex unfortunately).

Thats the problem Phil once that nice Mr. Cunliffe makes his mind up whats going in swops Dynamite would shift him!! :no::lol:

Social source share

..yes, was part of the west coast find amongst all those Troy Dodds/El Camino and Cautions/Shrine 45s (amongst opthers ..just to name some of the more prominent ones). Still like the record (Jackie Daye) a lot but was personally always surprised how it maintained its high price / value bearing in mind the many copies that were found and since then sold.

Social source share

At the Stafford Reunion last year Keb played it out and said on the mic that this was the biggest sound from Stafford

when he put it on the floor was crammed and was given a mighty fine applause when it ended :)

Regarding copies turning up im sure John M will come and fill you all in with the copies he recieved ect

at the time some fellow dealer put around a tall tale of 100,s of copies turning up which proved to be

utter fantasy and misleading.............

Regarding the Naughty Boy i think it is one of the great northern female 45,s of all time with a sax break

to die for always gets the dancefloor moving :thumbsup:

Social source share

There's 14 on Popsike, assuming they're all different copies, not exactly a wedge I'd have thought?

thats only individual copies coming over ,mainly from the states..none are the copies from the finds dealers have had.......also popsike only shows up a percentage, not all copies

dave

Social source share

There's 14 on Popsike, assuming they're all different copies, not exactly a wedge I'd have thought?

There was rumours at the time that at least 25 had turned up in the haul but sure those involved said the the count was in single figures. Few turned up since as well.

It might not be the most quality laden recording ever made but it is fantastic Northern Soul, what the scene is all about!

Social source share

There was rumours at the time that at least 25 had turned up in the haul but sure those involved said the the count was in single figures. Few turned up since as well.

It might not be the most quality laden recording ever made but it is fantastic Northern Soul, what the scene is all about!

Definitely more then 25...

Social source share

I don't like it much either, always sounds unfinished to me

Social source share

If I've read that before I'd forgotten but I do recognise Guy's description of that particular time with the emphasis on 70's and 80's and surprisingly [considering what you read on here] not that much interest in the 60's stuff outside a pretty small circle of fanatics.

I remember when Dave and I were dj-ing we could play Limelights, Monique, Young Brothers, Phoenetics etc to not that full a dance floor and then some knobend would come up and ask for King Tutt. Luckily we had that as our "get out of jail free" card. It was that palpable disinterest that caused us to jack it in.

As for the Jackie Day I thought it sounded like a Mirwood 45 so Im sure I covered it as Belles or similar but I didn't want to sell it after getting it off Bob so I [OVO-ers look away now] cut Guy an acetate [maybe with CODs or Combinations on other side].

Don't remember a party in Derby but I took it along to Stafford covered up and gave it Guy to play on the night and when I got it back it was uncovered, not that I minded. I let him have the Terri Goodnight as I thought it was rather poppy and at some stage I ended up with Larry Wright. He also took that Little Charles "Talking about you baby" which was new to me then and obviously Guy too.

Credit to Bob [RobbK] for turning it up in the first place and Im surprised he splashed out 50 cents on it as he always told me he stopped buying 45s when they went up to over 25 cents. I did a C90 tape at his place back in I think '81 with some things I didn't know at the time and I reckon all have gone on to be classic in-demand records and even newies if that term can be applied to USA Intensions or Martiniques.

ROD

Social source share

Jackie day's in the Oakland there was maybe 11 I got 6 of them 3 as my deal and 3 more from one of the partners which I paid 6000 for the three So it was kinda annoying for certain people to stir rumours using radio DJs that there was 300 found...I don't have single copy now I sold the one out of my collection recently...I think the price will now go up. Especially the mint ones from that load...kind a funny really all these rumours. I think one was theYoung Brothers we had a box full, there wasn't even a single copy there. Unless there's one in the 100 mailers I still have to open...I open one occasionally for a cheap thrill but often disappointed with a cheap 45 in a SHOUT mailer dated 1967 mailed inNew York ....all good fun and in the end all the rumoursnnever made one record significantly fall in value...

Social source share

I

As for the Jackie Day I thought it sounded like a Mirwood 45 so Im sure I covered it as Belles or similar but I didn't want to sell it after getting it off Bob so I [OVO-ers look away now] cut Guy an acetate [maybe with CODs or Combinations on other side].

Don't remember a party in Derby but I took it along to Stafford covered up and gave it Guy to play on the night and when I got it back it was uncovered, not that I minded. I let him have the Terri Goodnight as I thought it was rather poppy and at some stage I ended up with Larry Wright. He also took that Little Charles "Talking about you baby" which was new to me then and obviously Guy too.

Credit to Bob [RobbK] for turning it up in the first place and Im surprised he splashed out 50 cents on it as he always told me he stopped buying 45s when they went up to over 25 cents. I did a C90 tape at his place back in I think '81 with some things I didn't know at the time and I reckon all have gone on to be classic in-demand records and even newies if that term can be applied to USA Intensions or Martiniques.

ROD

Nice to see you're on here, Rod.

Bit of an exaggeration, though, eh? I was up to even $1.00 for the right record by 1967!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!