John Manship Auction / Gwen & Ray

What is the going rate of an original of Gwen & Ray please, I was amazed to see it finishing yesterday at only 600 sth GBP ? Thought it will end much higher ? I know there`s been a couple thrue ebay lately at under 500 USD but I the way I understood it was that it wasn`t quite clear if these were originals ?

Speaking of Manship...he has a really nice and indeed very rare 45 currently up there in the shape of Delola Carmichael on USA...a current Hip City spin if I dare to say so and only the third copy I ever saw. The other copy I got recently outbid on ebay by Honky. Great doiuble-sider.. and no, I am not the owner of said copy at Manship`s ;)

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How do you know Honky outbid you? Don't use ebay too much these days but thought you couldn't see who the other bidders were?

as long as you stick a cheeky low bid on an auction its easy to find out who won if you know there ebay username.

Social source share

What is the going rate of an original of Gwen & Ray please, I was amazed to see it finishing yesterday at only 600 sth GBP ? Thought it will end much higher ? I know there`s been a couple thrue ebay lately at under 500 USD but I the way I understood it was that it wasn`t quite clear if these were originals ?

Was that the seller who had a few (how many i don't know) copies of this? Can only suggest re. the auction price is it's like anything else at the moment - money / recession etc with perhaps not as many buyers willing to go any higher. Even at the very top end of collecting collectors will always want a perceived bargain!

The USA label has thrown out some great oddities and rarities hasn't it? Is there a complete discography around as quite a few have gaps.

Social source share

I've forgotten who most are now, been a couple of weeks or so since been on there as well.

If you know the buyers ebay short identification, for example r***l (1234), you know the bidders real identity as long as he keeps his ebay name and is not opening a new account. But not a big deal at all..shouldn`t have mnentioned who won it anyway maybe LOL ! Lets just say there has only been that one copy on ebay to my knowledge..

Social source share

I don't think £600 for that is a low price, let's face it, it hasn't been played out since 1974, it's a collectors only record and nobody is going to buy it to make it their top DJ spin. I'm amazed it went for so much money, as good a track and as rare as it is.

Social source share

Was that the seller who had a few (how many i don't know) copies of this? Can only suggest re. the auction price is it's like anything else at the moment - money / recession etc with perhaps not as many buyers willing to go any higher. Even at the very top end of collecting collectors will always want a perceived bargain!

The USA label has thrown out some great oddities and rarities hasn't it? Is there a complete discography around as quite a few have gaps.

Yes, teh very same seller. GUess you are right with your explanation but what would you reckon a "true" value on this record..say if you would be selling it and needed to put a price on ?

There`s been a very in depth discography in one of the old Shades Of Soul issues...very informative, think it came via Shane Cox ? Still some numbers were missing, like this Delola Carmichael, Doug & Dave and the Intensions doublesider for example (all three awesome records by the way).

Havent checked with Dave Rimmer´s good site, he might have a discography on USA as well by now ?

And you are right, the USA label doesnt only have one of the best label designs (IMO), it sure also ranks high within my favourite labels for its musical output.

Social source share

I don't think £600 for that is a low price, let's face it, it hasn't been played out since 1974, it's a collectors only record and nobody is going to buy it to make it their top DJ spin. I'm amazed it went for so much money, as good a track and as rare as it is.

Wasnt it enjoying some sort of revival lately ? I am sure I saw it mentioned in one or two set lists ? Agree on your other points and thanks for your valuation.

Social source share

Yes, teh very same seller. GUess you are right with your explanation but what would you reckon a "true" value on this record..say if you would be selling it and needed to put a price on ?

There`s been a very in depth discography in one of the old Shades Of Soul issues...very informative, think it came via Shane Cox ? Still some numbers were missing, like this Delola Carmichael, Doug & Dave and the Intensions doublesider for example (all three awesome records by the way).

Havent checked with Dave Rimmer´s good site, he might have a discography on USA as well by now ?

And you are right, the USA label doesnt only have one of the best label designs (IMO), it sure also ranks high within my favourite labels for its musical output.

Pete's probably in a far better position to quote prices than I! Like anything, put a price on it and/or accept offers.

Dave Rimmers site has a USA listing (with gaps) - I'll check my back issues of Shades also. Incredible output with something on there for everyone and yes a great design! Boba might well be able to throw more light on this label.

Social source share

Wasnt it enjoying some sort of revival lately ? I am sure I saw it mentioned in one or two set lists ? Agree on your other points and thanks for your valuation.

Hi Marc, I did play my copy a couple of times a couple of years ago, and it did get some dancefloor reaction, but not massive. Many people don't actually remember it.

Talking of ebay were those ones on there definite originals? I have seen another trophy item on ebay twice in the last week - one original and a second I am not so sure but it did have "an original sleeve" :lol: and it went for a higher price than the def original....The SWONS

Social source share

Hi Marc, I did play my copy a couple of times a couple of years ago, and it did get some dancefloor reaction, but not massive. Many people don't actually remember it.

Talking of ebay were those ones on there definite originals? I have seen another trophy item on ebay twice in the last week - one original and a second I am not so sure but it did have "an original sleeve" :lol: and it went for a higher price than the def original....The SWONS

Just remembered it now...also heard it played out at Radcliffe in May...don`t know if they were originals, seem to remember the seller wasnt able to post any details (run out groove matrix and such) but did say all buyers in the past were "happy with their purchase".. So who knows ?

Social source share

agree with you Pete, well apart from the bit where you mention 'good track' :lol: remember it played at wigan/ritz all dayers

Social source share

I bought one of the Gwen and Ray 45s from the seller on eBay, they told me they had about 8 copies, but who knows. I had the song on tape from years ago. The copies were 100% original, based on info from this site and also comparing other 45s I have that were done by the same mastering/pressing operations. I play it at our soul nights in Seattle and get a great response....even a round of applause (nothing to do with the rarity or collector fame....just a spontaneous reaction) so I'm happy.

Social source share

I bought one of the Gwen and Ray 45s from the seller on eBay, they told me they had about 8 copies, but who knows. I had the song on tape from years ago. The copies were 100% original, based on info from this site and also comparing other 45s I have that were done by the same mastering/pressing operations. I play it at our soul nights in Seattle and get a great response....even a round of applause (nothing to do with the rarity or collector fame....just a spontaneous reaction) so I'm happy.

I concur here, I just missed out on the last one he had. They were all part of an estate left by a DJ and after the last auction the seller still had one left but did state the condition wasn't as good as the others so he might keep it. The last one sold 3 weeks ago for £293 so compared the JM auction was a bit of bargain.

Until the estate find, very very few had been seen in 37 years and it was fetching close to 4 figures. Now that this estate find are all sold, who knows when another will show up..

Edited by jim g
Social source share

A big memory for me this one when first introduced to the music via local youth club around 74ish. Agree with previous comments, I've not heard it played out much since that time. Why do you think its been generally overlooked by the oldies scene in comparison to similar records of that era?

Always liked it myself

Social source share

Speaking of Manship...he has a really nice and indeed very rare 45 currently up there in the shape of Delola Carmichael on USA...a current Hip City spin if I dare to say so and only the third copy I ever saw. The other copy I got recently outbid on ebay by Honky. Great doiuble-sider.. and no, I am not the owner of said copy at Manship`s ;)

Marc ....to be fair ,if we are talking about rare items currently on John's auction ...disregard the Delola Carmichael because a issue copy of Johnny Hendly has to be the one to watch :ohmy:

Without wishing to speak out of term .....this must be like the Bunky 45 in the respect ..soem people did'nt think it existed :g:

Social source share

Marc ....to be fair ,if we are talking about rare items currently on John's auction ...disregard the Delola Carmichael because a issue copy of Johnny Hendly has to be the one to watch :ohmy:

Without wishing to speak out of term .....this must be like the Bunky 45 in the respect ..soem people did'nt think it existed :g:

It's a demo - and while it is rare, it's never been highly regarded, even when it was big for that brief period in 78, so as with the Gwen & Ray, not really one that a DJ would buy to play out I would have thought.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .....PETE Thats not quite true as Mick Smith plays it now and again, my copy looks just like Micks with the grained paper label, paid £1 for it on Wolverhampton indoor market, years ago, always treated it as a boot till i saw micks copy? it should be nearer £1K frusty2.gif DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!