Which 2006 Weekender

Supercorsa

Having never attended a weekender before, I am giving serious thought to attending one next year. However financial and family restraints would mean that I could only attend one. The problem being when I see all the write ups for them it makes it hard to choose just one, from Cleethorpes, Prestatyn, Fleetwood, Whitby, Skegness, Northampton amongst others! :P

Also having to book up my annual leave for 2006 before November, doesn't help matters.

So therefore I'm after peoples recommendations and thoughts, more from the punters point of view than the promoters. If you could only attend one weekender in 2006, which one would it be?

Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest sharynm

Having never attended a weekender before, I am giving serious thought to attending one next year. However financial and family restraints would mean that I could only attend one. The problem being when I see all the write ups for them it makes it hard to choose just one, from Cleethorpes, Prestatyn, Fleetwood, Whitby, Skegness, Northampton amongst others! :P

Also having to book up my annual leave for 2006 before November, doesn't help matters.

So therefore I'm after peoples recommendations and thoughts, more from the punters point of view than the promoters. If you could only attend one weekender in 2006, which one would it be?

Prestatyn every time :D

x

Social source share

Having never attended a weekender before, I am giving serious thought to attending one next year. However financial and family restraints would mean that I could only attend one. The problem being when I see all the write ups for them it makes it hard to choose just one, from Cleethorpes, Prestatyn, Fleetwood, Whitby, Skegness, Northampton amongst others! :D

Same as you mate, not been to a weekender before, but Cleethorpes next year, deffo for quality sounds etc :P

Social source share

Prestatyn!
Prestatyn every time :D

x

And thrice..................Prestatyn :P , its no disrespect to any of the other weekenders.................but for my money ................this has so much to offer.

Garv.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

cleethorpes..............ah, the smell of the caff, the open air swimming pool and the general mayhem.............prestatyn is more 'corporate' and that bleedin' amusement arcade stuck in the middle of everything does my head in - plus the Main Room feels like a basketball stadium.........the blue plastic seating banked up at the back does nothing to dispel the feeling :shhh: Cleethorpes - for the sheer tattiness, the condensation in the caravans and all-in feeling of 'family'...........and the music, ofcourse :D Jo

Cleethorpes forever
:P

Nick

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

It's all subjective; it depends what the individual wants out of a weekender.

Not knocking Prestatyn - it's fantastic, full on, and fun all the way but for me it's too big and all a bit too much. Lots of choice musically and socially it's top notch. But I am getting too long in the tooth to come home from a weekender totally knackered and in need of a weeks holiday :P

I love Fleetwood for the brilliant Tent (untouchable for Xover in the scheme of the big weekenders) and the buzzy Modern room - I love Cleethorpes for the vibe and THE BEST caravan parties - and beyond all others I love Soul Essence in Yarmouth for the best in my kind of music and it's intimate nature.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Lifeline weekender next year which (I hope !) will give me the intimacy of Essence with a broad music score and no played out oldies.

We do 7 or 8 weekenders a year and they all have their own enjoyable flavour, but unlike most of you I prefer my weekenders small and my music quite laid back.

Edited by alison
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Like you Alison, I'm not knocking Prestatyn either, but there is too much choice for my tiny brain to cope with. Could you expand on the Yarmouth weekender as I'd love to go but never know when it's on.............it sounds brilliant :P Thanks, Jo

It's all subjective; it depends what the individual wants out of a weekender.

Not knocking Prestatyn - it's fantastic, full on, and fun all the way but for me it's too big and all a bit too much. Lots of choice musically and socially it's top notch. But I am getting too long in the tooth to come home from a weekender totally knackered and in need of a weeks holiday
:D

I love Fleetwood for the brilliant Tent (untouchable for Xover in the scheme of the big weekenders) and the buzzy Modern room - I love Cleethorpes for the vibe and THE BEST caravan parties - and beyond all others I love Soul Essence in Yarmouth for the best in my kind of music and it's intimate nature.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Lifeline weekender next year which (I hope !) will give me the intimacy of Essence with a broad music score and no played out oldies.

We do 7 or 8 weekenders a year and they all have their own enjoyable flavour, but unlike most of you I prefer my weekenders small and my music quite laid back.

Social source share

Like you Alison, I'm not knocking Prestatyn either, but there is too much choice for my tiny brain to cope with. Could you expand on the Yarmouth weekender as I'd love to go but never know when it's on.............it sounds brilliant :P Thanks, Jo

I'll give you the low down when I get back from work, back to the grindstone for me now.

In the meantime if Gavin Page is on here today - maybe he can do some of his own glowing PR for Essence :D

Social source share

I personally enjoy all the weekenders I go to, each has something to offer me, but the biggest pull is the friends, who at the end of the day it's them which make it a good time

Social source share

Prestatyn...grown from a smallish event at the first one..to monsterous proportions every year it just gets better and there are plenty of corners to hide away in as well !!!!

sat in one last year and don gardner sat next to me chilling out.

love all the weekenders but Prestatyn is always full of surprises and 300 "chalet"parties as well

Social source share

Rimini - but Im biased as I love Italy (& the sun!) (and of course to be different!!) :P:shhh:

Alison I agree - Essence - brilliant atmosphere and music! :D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Prestatyn!

Prestatyn is much too cold, go to Prestatyn if you have a Scot of the Antarctic fixation :P

Personally Cleethorpes is the best weekender , great atmosphere , open topped bus rides , crazy golf and Ady C doing a mighty fine impression of Oliver Reed all weekend :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

This is going to get flak...........what about taking kids ie (11's and under) to weekenders? I think Prestatyn seems to suffer more from that..........I don't mind them in the afternoon - fair play to them BUT I don't want kids running about the dancefloor during the evening sessions - up to 11pm, no probs but - and here's an idea...........a soul creche :P - and above all, I worry about them slipping on the talc :D Like Karenb.......Rimini is gorgeous but is almost too fab to be classed as a 'weekender' in the traditional British sense, chalets, drizzle and grotty food - it's Friday to Sunday in the sun with friends with a bit of soul slipped in :P and no quips about slipping in :D Jo

Oh!

That was a bit flippant. Wasn't meant to come across as criticism.

They do of course have slot machines at Cleethorpes too
:shhh:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I challenge you to a round of Crazy Golf and may the best woman win :P:D:P You should've been at Hemsby.........wow - see attached - stunning Crazy Golf. Jo

Prestatyn is much too cold, go to Prestatyn if you have a Scot of the Antarctic fixation

Personally Cleethorpes is the best weekender , great atmosphere , open topped bus rides , crazy golf and Ady C doing a mighty fine impression of Oliver Reed all weekend
:shhh:

and this............Jo

Prestatyn is much too cold, go to Prestatyn if you have a Scot of the Antarctic fixation

Personally Cleethorpes is the best weekender , great atmosphere , open topped bus rides , crazy golf and Ady C doing a mighty fine impression of Oliver Reed all weekend

post-1898-1130421174_thumb.jpg

post-1898-1130421220_thumb.jpg

Social source share

This is going to get flak...........what about taking kids ie (11's and under) to weekenders? I think Prestatyn seems to suffer more from that..........I don't mind them in the afternoon - fair play to them BUT I don't want kids running about the dancefloor during the evening sessions - up to 11pm, no probs but - and here's an idea...........a soul creche :P - and above all, I worry about them slipping on the talc :D Like Karenb.......Rimini is gorgeous but is almost too fab to be classed as a 'weekender' in the traditional British sense, chalets, drizzle and grotty food - it's Friday to Sunday in the sun with friends with a bit of soul slipped in :P and no quips about slipping in :D Jo

Hmmm, If I was female this is where I would slot in the bit about packets of frozen peas, eh Jo? :shhh:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

and this.........another crazy golf course in Hemsby

I challenge you to a round of Crazy Golf and may the best woman win
:P:D:D
You should've been at Hemsby.........wow - see attached - stunning Crazy Golf. Jo

and this............Jo

Oh, happy 3 days, eh :P:shhh: .......

Hmmm, If I was female this is where I would slot in the bit about packets of frozen peas, eh Jo?

post-1898-1130421292_thumb.jpg

post-1898-1130421411_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I challenge you to a round of Crazy Golf and may the best woman win :P:D:shhh: You should've been at Hemsby.........wow - see attached - stunning Crazy Golf. Joand this............Jo

What do you mean Jo "Kids running across dancefloor" I know for a fact that Matt Bolton was in bed by 8.30 pm :P

I take up your challenge of Crazy Golf , better get some practice in .........

Social source share

Sorry just realised my mistake, i was also posting on "The Comfortable Cottage Retreats Forum" and somehow got my posts crossed........

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Sorry just realised my mistake, i was also posting on "The Comfortable Cottage Retreats Forum" and somehow got my posts crossed........

The Cotswolds would be my pick for a "comfotable cottage retreat"

Social source share

This is going to get flak...........what about taking kids ie (11's and under) to weekenders? I think Prestatyn seems to suffer more from that..........I don't mind them in the afternoon - fair play to them BUT I don't want kids running about the dancefloor during the evening sessions - up to 11pm, no probs

I agree with you Jo, I hate seeing small kids running about at weekenders, not only because of safety reasons ( can you imagine what would happen if some child was knocked out by someone doing a spin) but the environment isn't a suitable one for children IMO

I saw a bloke at Prestatyn last year in the bar, he had a baby in his arms and three under 5's around his feet, this was early evening granted but I would not take my kids into a room full of smoke, drunks and people on whatever else.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Would you like your plate of Whiskas now or later, Mr Bergman :P:D Poor Matt - and yes, you better had get some practice in..........I'm good on the chicanes and windmill with sails spinning round - and if you're really lucky - the watermill........... :shhh: Jo

What do you mean Jo "Kids running across dancefloor" I know for a fact that Matt Bolton was in bed by 8.30 pm
:P

I take up your challenge of Crazy Golf , better get some practice in .........

post-1898-1130424480_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Ooh dont get me started on kids at do's again! I have complained to the promoters about prestatyn last year and the kids problems, I also complained to Togetherness about the same thing. Why would any parent in their right mind take a kid to a place full off .....!!!!

Social source share

Ooh dont get me started on kids at do's again! I have complained to the promoters about prestatyn last year and the kids problems, I also complained to Togetherness about the same thing. Why would any parent in their right mind take a kid to a place full off .....!!!!

Quite right honey - go there to get away from bloody kids - think they should be banned from evevings at least!!! Last time there was an ankle biter wandering around at 11.30pmI ended up breakdancing to avoid standing on her GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Prestatyn is the best for quality music and across all tastes

Doris on her soap box

Social source share

Any weekend passes left for this Chalk's :P:D

Yes, £35 :shhh:

Andy and myself are hoping to see the manager of another hotel a few miles away and hopefully do a deal to get a discount for soulies attending the Lifeline weekend. Regardless of whether we can arrange that we will be running a mini bus between the two hotels for those unable to get into the main venue hotel.

Social source share

Yes, £35 :P

Andy and myself are hoping to see the manager of another hotel a few miles away and hopefully do a deal to get a discount for soulies attending the Lifeline weekend. Regardless of whether we can arrange that we will be running a mini bus between the two hotels for those unable to get into the main venue hotel.

Excellent will sort out how many passes will need, then get in touch :D

Social source share

Prestatyn is the only weekender I've been to Ian, bar open 23 hours & despite my moanings earlier :P with

5 rooms you can't go wrong + a huge record room full of dealers (tho' not many who made any money this year I hear?) thats light so you can closely inspect all the knackered records that are recommended "fine for djing" Yeah right ! :D recommended but be quick before all places are gone!

Social source share

Ian

think may need to be quick as some are selling out quick

bit hard to advise in a general sort of way as depends on what you are after, so may help like if pass on few other bits of what you looking for

Social source share

This is going to get flak...........what about taking kids ie (11's and under) to weekenders? I think Prestatyn seems to suffer more from that..........I don't mind them in the afternoon - fair play to them BUT I don't want kids running about the dancefloor during the evening sessions - up to 11pm, no probs but - and here's an idea...........a soul creche :P - and above all, I worry about them slipping on the talc :D Like Karenb.......Rimini is gorgeous but is almost too fab to be classed as a 'weekender' in the traditional British sense, chalets, drizzle and grotty food - it's Friday to Sunday in the sun with friends with a bit of soul slipped in :shhh: and no quips about slipping in :P Jo

Were you at this years event Jo ??--I think you will find the numbers of kiddie winks has declined drastically from the early days as I remember it, also didn't they shift most of the slots out to get the second modern room and oldies rooms in ??

I know the Kids need wristbands so they'll get mugged this year by desperate soulies, but don't expose your very young children to this weekender as they'll get hooked.

I also remeber Cleethorpes being full of kids before it started selling out --the Ady threw them all in the swimming pool on sunday night---thats why they drain it now !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!