Burning Desire funky soul 45

Guys,

since it attracted high interest "in the bay" the other week, I thought I'd check if I can get some juicy trades for mine.

By the way, I do know this is mostly a 60s/northern soul forum, but I have recognized some "across the board" collectors.

Anyway,

"Do Your Best" is funk/"Why She Had to Go" is funky modern soul (busy bass player).

I collect (rare) modern soul, mainly mid 70-mid 80s, including sub genres: "mellow groove", "two step", "group harmony beat ballads", "funky soul" etc.

pm your offers please.

/m

PS. In anticipating wishes from others also, I have recorded both sides. PM me your e-mail addy, should you desire them files.

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

Out of interest, is this getting any plays on the soul scene? We had it four years ago or so on the funk scene, Scott Craig turned up a couple of copies. It was spun a few times but it cleared dance floors and was discarded. I'd be interested to know how the soul scene's taking to it? Who's playing it, who's dancing to it etc...

click to play Why She Had To Go

Social source share

Since Trouble's post might be interpreted as a less favourable review of the actual record, let me quote Rookie from the Funk Forum:

"Burning Desire 'Why She Had To Go' is one of the best tunes ever made. Sure - its no dancefloor anthem at the moment, but the fragile harmonies, weird drumming patterns, meandering bassline, sparse production...this is surely the work of genius. And as for the actual TUNE - this is soul music at its purist - its got emotion, its heartfelt (and frankly pisses on some of the soft, over-rated and overly-safe, nicey-nicey stuff thats spun on the modern scene - Put A Smile On Time?? give me a break - give me Freakish Love any day of the week)"

Cheers all/m

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

hi magnus, i quiet liked it when i first heard it, and since there is obviously alot of interest in the record at the moment I was just wondering why, who's playing it etc.

Besides, there's a sound clip so I'm sure folk will make their own minds up.cool.gif

Social source share

since there is obviously alot of interest in the record at the moment I was just wondering why, who's playing it etc.

Hello James.

I don't know if there's a particular upsurge of interest in the record. I believe its simply a case of a rare record seldom seen for sale. I'd estimate the DJ quota, of the rare record buyers, to 25% perhaps, with the rest being collectors "merely", who, thus, are less likely to fall prone to a dancefloor-centered reasoning when buying records.

Social source share

Since Trouble's post might be interpreted as a less favourable review of the actual record, let me quote Rookie from the Funk Forum:

"Burning Desire 'Why She Had To Go' is one of the best tunes ever made. Sure - its no dancefloor anthem at the moment, but the fragile harmonies, weird drumming patterns, meandering bassline, sparse production...this is surely the work of genius. And as for the actual TUNE - this is soul music at its purist - its got emotion, its heartfelt (and frankly pisses on some of the soft, over-rated and overly-safe, nicey-nicey stuff thats spun on the modern scene - Put A Smile On Time?? give me a break - give me Freakish Love any day of the week)"

Cheers all/m

Yeah, but he's a nob and likes out of tune, floor clearing, crunchy guitary piffle. :-)))

Interesting review...let's de-code that:

fragile harmonies - they can't sing.

weird drumming patterns - he can't keep a beat.

meandering bassline - he's not listening to the same track...infact, he's in another room.

sparse production - skinflints couldn't run to spending a couple more bob on getting a studio, hence the kitchen being used etc. etc...

all in all..."the work of genius"

...of course!

Anyways, I'm sure it'll flog with no bother...just that when you read descriptions like that, you wonder what tune's being discussed...

...stick it on the bay mate...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You're probably best off offering it to the second or third highest bidders from the last ebay auction. My very humble guess would be that that would be the best price that record will ever sell for.

Social source share

Guest adam leaver

Without getting into verbal fisticuffs (I really do object to being called a 'nob'), I find this 'de-construction' a bit askew. Nothing is out of tune as far as my ears tell me - its certianly got a bit of an edge (as all the best soul music does) but its not dischordant.

As for who's buying/playing it. Well, I know Soul Sam (another fan, like myself, of out of tune, poorly syncopated, badly produced soul music) paid a hefty 4-figure wedge for it a year or so ago. Other than that, it's pretty bloody rare - though it 'aint going to get many spins because it's too funky for most modern rooms and too midtempo for most funk folks. But, certainly things are 'funking up' on the modern scene and I love this to death as a curiosity that could get some early doors play in a couple of years time when modern and funk scenes finally fuse (hehehehehehe).

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Without getting into verbal fisticuffs (I really do object to being called a 'nob'), I find this 'de-construction' a bit askew. Nothing is out of tune as far as my ears tell me - its certianly got a bit of an edge (as all the best soul music does) but its not dischordant.

As for who's buying/playing it. Well, I know Soul Sam (another fan, like myself, of out of tune, poorly syncopated, badly produced soul music) paid a hefty 4-figure wedge for it a year or so ago. Other than that, it's pretty bloody rare - though it 'aint going to get many spins because it's too funky for most modern rooms and too midtempo for most funk folks. But, certainly things are 'funking up' on the modern scene and I love this to death as a curiosity that could get some early doors play in a couple of years time when modern and funk scenes finally fuse (hehehehehehe).

I don't want to speak for Sam, but I do believe it is in his sales box. Make of that what you will...

IMVHO it is one of those horrible records that sucks you into thinking it is really good on the first couple of spins, and then you get very tired of it, very quickly. Just my opinion, of course.

Adam, I'm not going to call you a knob or anything like that, but why do you want to play undancable records in a warm up? IMO a warm up is ment to get people in the mood, not send them to sleep with weak records that are not good enough to get played main set, surely???

"when the modern and funk scenes finally fuse."

You can't escape your destiny. lol Star_Wars_-_Darth_Vader.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Heaven forbid chin stroking titty shaking arguementative pacifists all in the same room for one can't wait ;o))

James i heard the other day that you no longer get asked to do warm ups, apparently this isn't because you are too good for them rather that your shirts are louder than the PA system will take when the room is empty!! Is this true or yet another fabrication in the rich legend that is your own lunchtime ;o))))) LOL

Sorry i just couldn't resist ;oP

JoT

The annoying thing is that i can't play the bloody thing from wuk to make my own mind up!!!!

PS Mags B is that you btw??

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Heaven forbid chin stroking titty shaking arguementative pacifists all in the same room for one can't wait ;o))

James i heard the other day that you no longer get asked to do warm ups, apparently this isn't because you are too good for them rather that your shirts are louder than the PA system will take when the room is empty!! Is this true or yet another fabrication in the rich legend that is your own lunchtime ;o))))) LOL

Sorry i just couldn't resist ;oP

JoT

The annoying thing is that i can't play the bloody thing from wuk to make my own mind up!!!!

PS Mags B is that you btw??

I'll have you know that my shirts are designed by a very well respected American designer, and if anybody is decorating their houses at the moment, the same designer does wall paper and curtains as well.

CHECK OUT MY GREAT SHIRT!!!

Social source share

Guest adam leaver

James - I can dance to anything mate. I headbang to deep soul. I think Burning Desire is a dancer. It's just not a dancer yet. I can honestly say - hand on heart, that I never get tired of listening to that record. It may not get any plays on the soul scene ever, but to me its a wonderful soul/funk 45.

As for whether you start hammering stompers from early on...I guess you can do that on the Northern scene where people get there early and are knowledgable and enthused by the music. But, lets be honest, you can't really say that about the funk scene and so you have to ease them in a bit. AND ITS NOT A WEAK RECORD!!!!

And as an aside you can't measure weak records by what's in Sam's sales box - otherwise things like Robert Moore on Saadia would be deemed 'second rate', when in reality its one of the best funk 45s ever written. Its probably just not his thing, or the sound isn't quite right for the modern scene at the moment.

Oh, and as a fellow wearer of extravagant shirts - I have to congratulate you on that one James

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Adam, I never said you have to hammer stompers in a warm up, you need to...

oh cluck it, I can't be arsed.

Just don't use a warm up as an excuse to play shite records, that's all I'm saying.

Social source share

Guest adam leaver

Agreed James - none of us should tolerate 2nd best. Standards are important. Its just we have different interpretations of what those standards are, which is ultimately what makes things interesting. If everyone had the same tastes and played the same thing we'd all be pretty bored by now.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'll have you know that my shirts are designed by a very well respected American designer, and if anybody is decorating their houses at the moment, the same designer does wall paper and curtains as well.

CHECK OUT MY GREAT SHIRT!!!

Well what can i say other than my Mother really would like her Pyjamas back as soon as possible i really can't make my mind what is more scary your pajama top or the crazy wild eyed stalker that is sat next to you in the photo LOL

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

And don't start me talking about the funk scene, I could really go off on one...

LOL That really would be out of charcter then wouldn't it ;o))))))))

Don't suppose you are doing herbal on Saturday (the night not the relaxant)????

JoT

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Well what can i say other than my Mother really would like her Pyjamas back as soon as possible i really can't make my mind what is more scary your pajama top or the crazy wild eyed stalker that is sat next to you in the photo LOL

John

That's an easy one to answer;-)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

LOL That really would be out of charcter then wouldn't it ;o))))))))

Don't suppose you are doing herbal on Saturday (the night not the relaxant)????

JoT

Nope. But I'm sure you'll enjoy a night of eclectic joys.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'm sure we will with Dennis the Menace and TJ the DJ not to mention his wannabe fan club members one of whom is celebrating his 38th that night and funniest of all Janine is coming along!!!!!!! I just can't wait to take her into the house room LOL

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Indeed, Sir. To whom do I have the honour ...

You may recognise my nom de plume John Nightingale Mags ;o))

John

Social source share

You may recognise my nom de plume John Nightingale Mags ;o))

Oh, Hi there, John.

And next time we'll meet you'll recognize me from my avatar :-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh, Hi there, John.

And next time we'll meet you'll recognize me from my avatar :-)

Of course i will Mags unmistakeable ;o)))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just listened to the record very nice indeed right up my street not sure about being better than Rhythm Machine though great record non the less I'll give you a tenner for it Mags ;o)))

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!